• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hi. This may sound very naive, but I really don't know the answer.

It is optional to file I-765 alongside the adjustment of status application. I am currently on F-1 and am adjusting status since I was selected in DV lottery 2015. So, do I need to file I-765? I always thought that once you get a green card, you are eligible to work for any employer in any field within the US. Is this assumption wrong?

Thanks

Your question is not naive and your assumption isn't wrong. Once the GC petition is approved, one is eligible to work for anyone employer any where. The reason people include the I-765 is to enable them work (if they currently do not have a work permit or if that permit is about to expire) while their AOS application is pending. Once the AOS petition is approved, the DV based EAD becomes useless and irrelevant.

A person on F1 visa may apply for an AOS based EAD card, and upon issue/approval can use the EAD card to work for any employer anywhere - it has no restrictions like a F1 visa based EAD/OPT card. However, this might not be a wise step for someone on F1 visa to take because once you use the EAD card to take up employment, you're automatically no longer in F1 status, and if for whatever reason the AOS petition is denied, or your CN does not become current before the end of the FY, or your petition is not approved by the end of the FY, then you will no longer be able to revert back to your F1 status

A question for those who have already received interview letters, was your Case Status changed to reflect that an interview was being scheduled? And was this done in advance of the interview date?

A question for those who have already received interview letters, was your Case Status changed to reflect that an interview was being scheduled? And was this done in advance of the interview date?
No, it didn't change. It still says fingerprint fee received.

Case status does not change until a decision is made after the interview, or like in the rare case of @Hammer67, when the petition is approved without an interview.

The USCIS case status just updated as follows for our family of 4

Your Case Status: Card/ Document Production

On December 23, 2014, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number MSC1491549953, and will mail it to the address you gave us. If you do not receive your card by January 22, 2015, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request your card. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Looks like no USCIS interview for us and instead we get green cards for Christmas
That's awesome :) Congratulations!

Thanks to @ndubs and @Sm1smom for your prompt responses. I have one more question and could not find the answer by searching the forum. On the I-485 form where it asks for Current USCIS status and its expiration date, what should I write?

I have been on F-1 for 3 years. Is F1 my USCIS status? My visa expired a year ago. I left for home before it expires (and I was on OPT at the time), so now I have a date on my I-94 that shows it expires next May. Right now, I am a student at another school and my new I-20 has an expiration date in 2020. Is this what I need to write in I-485 form?

Thanks

On December 23, 2014, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number MSC1491549953, and will mail it to the address you gave us. If you do not receive your card by January 22, 2015, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request your card. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Looks like no USCIS interview for us and instead we get green cards for Christmas

Wow, good for you Hammer67! That is amazing :D

Thanks to @ndubs and @Sm1smom for your prompt responses. I have one more question and could not find the answer by searching the forum. On the I-485 form where it asks for Current USCIS status and its expiration date, what should I write?

I have been on F-1 for 3 years. Is F1 my USCIS status? My visa expired a year ago. I left for home before it expires (and I was on OPT at the time), so now I have a date on my I-94 that shows it expires next May. Right now, I am a student at another school and my new I-20 has an expiration date in 2020. Is this what I need to write in I-485 form?

Thanks

Your current USCIS status is F1 and expiration date is 2020 (what is listed on your I-20).

Case status does not change until a decision is made after the interview, or like in the rare case of @Hammer67, when the petition is approved without an interview.
I'm away from home until the end of the month and therefore don't have access to my mail. My concern is that the interview letter might arrive with short notification causing the possibility of missing the interview. I tried to contact the relevant Field Office but the phone number listed in the USCIS web site is actually the number for the National Customer Service Centre, and the lady to whom I spoke advised me that my case status would be changed accordingly if/when an interview is scheduled. Seeing that is not accurate, what would you recommend as a way to find out if an interview has being scheduled for a date before I return home. Is that possible or should I just hope for the best?

Does anyone know what does KCC mean from this email? "The information you provided will be forwarded to the appropriate department"
I only asked whether my file has been forwarded to FO or not. I did not provide them with any information. So, does it mean DS-260 and the appropriate department means USCIS or a section of KCC? The sentence is confusing.

Does anyone know what does KCC mean from this email? "The information you provided will be forwarded to the appropriate department"
I only asked whether my file has been forwarded to FO or not. I did not provide them with any information. So, does it mean DS-260 and the appropriate department means USCIS or a section of KCC? The sentence is confusing.

They have lots of standard phrases and prepared templates for responses. They probably couldn't find one that said "Leave us alone to do our jobs in our own time" so they sent you a canned response that means nothing. Just ignore it. And wait. I suggest Yoga.

I'm away from home until the end of the month and therefore don't have access to my mail. My concern is that the interview letter might arrive with short notification causing the possibility of missing the interview. I tried to contact the relevant Field Office but the phone number listed in the USCIS web site is actually the number for the National Customer Service Centre, and the lady to whom I spoke advised me that my case status would be changed accordingly if/when an interview is scheduled. Seeing that is not accurate, what would you recommend as a way to find out if an interview has being scheduled for a date before I return home. Is that possible or should I just hope for the best?

IL usually arrive with at least 2 weeks to 1 month's notice. So if your FO wanted to interview you by the end of this month, you would have received the letter a couple of weeks ago. Also, if you registered online for case status notification, you should receive a text/email alert when a notice/letter is mailed out to you. If you haven't registered online, you should do so:

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/showSplash.do

A generic meaningless response not worth losing sleep over.

IL usually arrive with at least 2 weeks to 1 month's notice. So if your FO wanted to interview you by the end of this month, you would have received the letter a couple of weeks ago. Also, if you registered online for case status notification, you should receive a text/email alert when a notice/letter is mailed out to you. If you haven't registered online, you should do so:

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/showSplash.do
Thank you for your kind assistance, and I extend to you and your family my very best wishes for a peaceful and happy Christmas.

Congratulations @Hammer67

Mom and fellow bloggers, I am fortunate to have been selected for DV2015 further processing. AF00015XXX which is current in December 2014. Adjusting status from within the US.

November 3- AOS received in Chicago Lock Box
November 19 - Biometrics letter received
December 10 - Biometrics completed.

I am learning just how much patience this process requires and have not slept well in a long time. I am grateful for this opportunity though.

I am curious to as to the turn around time others have experienced between Biometrics and interview for the DV15. also, how long is it taking for the EAD to come through? FO is Atlanta. Does the FO expedite DV cases due to the time strain involved? I know each case varies and each FO is different but any feedback is appreciated.
Best of luck all.

Hi Mom,

After Infopass visit 10 days ago in Virginia USCIS office , they told my wife that , they did a mistake in our AOS process. Instead of her being the primary applicant, they put me as a primary applicant. That is the reason we have got interview date in IDAHO instead of Virginia. Now, what they have told her is to attend the interview in idaho and mention about the mistake USCIS did in our application. She said, there might be a chance that they ask to forward her file to Idaho or post pone our interview to Virginia again. Do we need to do ask anything in our interview if you have any idea how to handle this situation?

Thank you
Xenon_writer

Mom and fellow bloggers, I am fortunate to have been selected for DV2015 further processing. AF00015XXX which is current in December 2014. Adjusting status from within the US.

November 3- AOS received in Chicago Lock Box
November 19 - Biometrics letter received
December 10 - Biometrics completed.

I am learning just how much patience this process requires and have not slept well in a long time. I am grateful for this opportunity though.

I am curious to as to the turn around time others have experienced between Biometrics and interview for the DV15. also, how long is it taking for the EAD to come through? FO is Atlanta. Does the FO expedite DV cases due to the time strain involved? I know each case varies and each FO is different but any feedback is appreciated.
Best of luck all.

For turn around times for EAD cards, and between bio and interview, refer to the DV Timelines - links to the 2015 Timelines and for the past couple of years can be found on the AOS spreasheet (link to the spreadsheet is on the first post on page one of this thread).

All FOs expedite DV cases, expedition time of course varies from one FO to the other.

Hi Mom,

After Infopass visit 10 days ago in Virginia USCIS office , they told my wife that , they did a mistake in our AOS process. Instead of her being the primary applicant, they put me as a primary applicant. That is the reason we have got interview date in IDAHO instead of Virginia. Now, what they have told her is to attend the interview in idaho and mention about the mistake USCIS did in our application. She said, there might be a chance that they ask to forward her file to Idaho or post pone our interview to Virginia again. Do we need to do ask anything in our interview if you have any idea how to handle this situation?

Thank you
Xenon_writer

Like I responded before, you will need to attend the interview as scheduled with your wife in Idaho. The IO will make the judgement call whether to proceed with the interview there or transfer your file back to Virginia since that is the address indicated on your wife's application and she's the PA. Attend the interview with all the documents you sent with your application (both yours and your wife's), take along any other document you can think of that can be of help - your wife's school registration documents, payment receipts, transcripts, etc. Also don't start by telling them they made the mistake of treating your application like you're the PA, you guys actually contributed to the error by listing two different addresses as your permanent address. Just calmly point out to the IO that your wife is the PA and you're the beneficiary once the interview starts.

Good luck!