• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Call this number, I know I had trouble figuring out what number to call: (606) 526-7500
Also, chances are decent that they won't ask for your BC, though if they do... well it doesn't look too rosy.

I had my interview today, and they didn't ask me for a BC, I was holding my breath the whole time. Interview was very short, and the guy said he would review my file and make a decision by the end of the day. I'm fairly optimistic at this point though. Otherwise, I should or may receive a welcome letter in the next few days.

Thank you all for the help and support in answering some of my questions, (hopefully the short wait continues)

Congrats!! Likewise, my green card photo is probably the worst photo I think i've ever had taken (thought they would be using the photos I attached with my I-485 so I didn't pay much attention to how I looked when I went for my biometrics either...), but I feel like there are worse things :D
i dont take good photos, and the photos i sent were not flattering either. but surprisingly, my biometrics pic came out good. :)

I am going to have the interview on Monday.
PA is my wife, but all our income is mine as I am H-1B visa holder.
Do I need to prepare any special documents regarding my spouse support?
I thought my tax, W2, bank statements, paystubs and reference from current employer would be enough and the dependent spouse income would be considered as PA's proof that she is not a public charge. But maybe I was wrong.

You don't need any other special document. Yes, the financial documents you've listed will equally be regarded as the PA's since you're a married couple.

Yes, as the PA your husband must be approved before your case can be approved, however it doesn't necessarily mean you will both end up being interviewed separately or an hour apart like the interview notice indicates. You may end up being interviewed together.

You can bring up the name change issue with your IO, if the IO approves, a slight correction will be made on your I-485 listing your marital name as your last name. However you need to be aware that once your GC gets issued with your marital name, you will need to apply for a new passport, your will not be able to travel with your current passport (with your maiden name on it) and your GC (with the marital name on it).

Check the AOS spreadsheet for Interview Tips.
We went for the interview today and it was terrible..
He went through all our paperwork and then was so negative about us moving during the process and our marriage.
He said we proved our relationship is legit but not our marriage??
We have to wait for a decision which is extremely nerve-wracking.
He said he has to check if there is a timeline in which a person can or can not get married during the diversity lottery process?
Are there is rules regarding that?

We went for the interview today and it was terrible..
He went through all our paperwork and then was so negative about us moving during the process and our marriage.
He said we proved our relationship is legit but not our marriage??
We have to wait for a decision which is extremely nerve-wracking.
He said he has to check if there is a timeline in which a person can or can not get married during the diversity lottery process?
Are there is rules regarding that?

I'm sorry to learn your interview experience was a terrible one.

Although I have no idea what you're talking about regarding the IO being so negative about you guys moving during the process, however I do think you guys brought the unnecessary scrutiny regarding your marriage on yourselves. Remember when I said you guys might have ended up complicating your case in view of the fact that your husband filed as single in May, got married in June following which you now sent in your own petition as his derivative?

There's no rule per se regarding the timeline of when one can or cannot get married during the DV process, the IOs however are responsible for ensuring people aren't engaging in sham marriages for the purpose of getting immigration benefits. Do you guys live together? How long have you lived together? Do you own joint assets?

Anyway, all you can do for now is wait with fingers crossed and hope the IO approves the case on the basis of his being convinced you already have an existing relationship prior to the DV selection even if he's doubtful of the marriage. Good luck!

After that she went through the yes/no questions about crime/military/communist background etc, and said she had everything she needed and she would approve my case when there's a visa number available. She did make it clear that visas could run out at any time. She added that she requested my file from KCC on July 23rd (the day after my bio appointment), so I could try to follow up with them to see if they had send it. Everything took 10-15 mins.

Ivo, have you served in the military? Sounded like you did. So have I, and I just wasn't sure if that affects the final yes/no decision. Congrats on your GC!

Ivo, have you served in the military? Sounded like you did. So have I, and I just wasn't sure if that affects the final yes/no decision. Congrats on your GC!
Hi - no military service here. The mandatory service back home was abolished a year or two before I had to go, and I would have deferred by going to uni in any case. Just the fact of having been in the military service shouldn't be an issue, I think.

Thanks! Good luck with your application. Follow the advice in this forum and you'll have yours in no time. OK, in some time, depending on KCC and USCIS. :)

Hello. My CN number is 2015AS69**. I got my interview letter today but the problem is that they scheduled it for October 20. As far as I know, aren't I supposed to complete the interview by the end of fiscal year which is September 30? Am I missing something? or Is the USCIS missing that I am a Diversity Visa candidate? Thanks for the info in advance.

Hello. My CN number is 2015AS69**. I got my interview letter today but the problem is that they scheduled it for October 20. As far as I know, aren't I supposed to complete the interview by the end of fiscal year which is September 30? Am I missing something? or Is the USCIS missing that I am a Diversity Visa candidate? Thanks for the info in advance.
Yeah, they are missing something - schedule an INFOPASS as soon as possible if you already haven't, and try to fix this. Your GC for FY 2015 can't get approved after Sept. 30, so you're running out of time.

I have already set up the INFOPASS. Hopefully, I will make it on time, fingers crossed. Thank you for the quick response.
Make sure to bring all of your documents to the infopass. With some luck, you could get to talk to an USCIS officer who can approve your case - I think that's happened before, even if rarely. At this late stage of the FY, it might be more likely. Good luck!

OMG!! :eek::eek: Your FO is about to cost your the opportunity of a life time. Your interview must take place and you must be approved by midnight September 30th!!

I have already set up the INFOPASS. Hopefully, I will make it on time, fingers crossed. Thank you for the quick response.

When is your INFOPASS scheduled for? This is an instance where I would recommend trying a walk in. Your FO seem to have absolutely no clue. You need to visit them with all your documents on hand, ready for the possibility of an interview on the spot.

Clearly explain your dilemma to the guards at the gate, time isn't on your side. Here are two documents you should print out and highlight to get them to understand you must be interviewed and approved no later than Sept 30th:

9 FAM 42.33 N5.2 Petition/Application Validity

Under INA 204(a)(1)(I)(ii)(II) (8 U.S.C. 1154(a)(1)(I)(ii)(II)), persons registered as DV immigrants are entitled to apply for visa issuance only during the fiscal year for which the application was submitted. The petition is valid until midnight of the last day of the fiscal year for which the petition was submitted. There is no carry- over of benefit into another year for persons who do not receive a visa during the fiscal year for which they registered.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf (p.4)

DV2015 Instructions

All processing of entries and issuance of DVs to selectees meeting eligibility requirements and their eligible family members must be completed by midnight on September 30, 2015. Under no circumstances can DVs be issued or adjustments approved after this date, nor can family members obtain DVs to follow-to-join the principal applicant in the United States after this date. (P.5)

Without exception, all selected and eligible applicants must obtain their visa or adjust status by the end of the fiscal year. There is no carry-over of DV benefits into the next year for persons who are selected but who do not obtain visas by September 30, 2015 (the end of the fiscal year). (P.13)

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam...ctions-Translations/DV_2015_Instructions.pdf#

Amazing. Or at least it would be amazing if this type of craziness wasn't so common.

Infopass yes - also a call to USCIS, and also a hand delivered letter to the FO. If the IL lists a contact person or method - use that to contact them.

The reaction might be to bluff you off with a "don't worry - we know what we are doing". They don't. Politely, but firmly point out the deadline is September 30th and get them to read the policy memo - http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

Hi All,

My wife and I had our interview back in July and USCIS sent our green cards on August 1. My wife has already received her card but mine is still missing. I wasn't supplied with the tracking information until the card was sent back to USCIS. USPS has no update on the tracking since August 6 (it says 'Notice Left' on August 6 update). I called USPS multiple times but they could not locate my card. USCIS said they will send the card back to me as soon as they receive it.

Here's my bigger problem: I will start a new next week and I need to show my proof of work authorization to the employer. I scheduled an infopass to get an I-551 stamp on my passport next Wednesday. Does anyone have any experience on receiving an I-551 stamp? Do you think I will get it on Wednesday without a hiccup?

Thanks

Hi All,

My wife and I had our interview back in July and USCIS sent our green cards on August 1. My wife has already received her card but mine is still missing. I wasn't supplied with the tracking information until the card was sent back to USCIS. USPS has no update on the tracking since August 6 (it says 'Notice Left' on August 6 update). I called USPS multiple times but they could not locate my card. USCIS said they will send the card back to me as soon as they receive it.

Here's my bigger problem: I will start a new next week and I need to show my proof of work authorization to the employer. I scheduled an infopass to get an I-551 stamp on my passport next Wednesday. Does anyone have any experience on receiving an I-551 stamp? Do you think I will get it on Wednesday without a hiccup?

Thanks

You do have your Welcome Letter? No reason I can think of why you wouldn't be able to get the I-551 stamp at your INFOPASS.

You do have your Welcome Letter? No reason I can think of why you wouldn't be able to get the I-551 stamp at your INFOPASS.

Yes, I have my Welcome Letter, a valid passport and multiple passport photos (they said on the phone I should bring 2 passport photos to the infopass appointment). Thank you for the confirmation Mom, I just wanted to double check to not to miss anything.

An advice to everyone who is waiting for their card: after you see the 'Card Mailed' information in USCIS Case Status tracking, call USCIS and get the USPS tracking number. I waited for 30 days (as it says in the case status page) to contact them which was a big mistake. My card was sent back to USCIS after 15 days (which got lost afterwards).

Last edited:
I had set up my INFOPASS for tuesday but fortunately, USCIS called me today and told me to come for interview this monday as they realized their mistake. Thank you everyone for the prompt reply.

I had set up my INFOPASS for tuesday but fortunately, USCIS called me today and told me to come for interview this monday as they realized their mistake. Thank you everyone for the prompt reply.

Glad to hear it!

To be honest, they probably don't know what they are doing with DV cases. Often, we read that IOs tell selectees after the interview something like "we will now need to do some additional processing that will take a week or two". It's BS. It is simply a sign they don't know how to complete the next step for a DV case. SO - it helps if you can gently guide them. To do that take the policy memo I mentioned before and highlight this section about halfway down on page 3.

"As a last step, the ISO must also confirm that a DV visa number is actually available, before he or she may approve the adjustment application by submitting an electronic request for the DV visa within IVAMSWEB."

The assumption is that the IO says everything is in order and now the IO comes out with the "we will let you know... blah blah". You pull out the memo and in a subtle but firm way you ask whether he/she will be checking out the visa in IVAMSWEB immediately - and if not, when does he/she expect to do that. Chances are they don't know they are supposed to do that and in fact that is the important bit. have that ready to make sure they get that done.

Here is the memo again.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf