• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

I can't give you the 100% assurance you're seeking, so like I said before "the FOs are aware of the Sept deadline that DV AOSers are faced with and typically try to accommodate that in their scheduling"
Thank you mom. I am aware that it carries some risk. My question was more about switching to CP instead of AOS now that we see the visa bulletin does not go as fast as initially expected. Do you think it may be a good idea or is it better to stick to AOS ?

Guys,

My Case number is 2015AS000064**. I am hoping it will be current in next month. I am preparing AOS package to send Chicago Luckbox. I have not received 2NL or notification letter form KCC except the auto generated confirmation number of DS260 form submission. I am talking about row#13 in AOS pacakge in the google sheet of this forum . How important that is for AOS. Anyone has sent package without that KCC email attachment for AOS. Your advice is highly appreciated...

Jawan

Hello Mom,
1) How soon or when should F-1 (student) inform the school that he/she applied for AOS?
2) Can a person attend the Bio appointment earlier than the date on the letter?

1. After you receive the actual GC, not a minute before. Not even when the IO says "I'm going to approve your case". You only do so when you have the GC.

1. Yep - that's the walk in we've been talking about. Bear in mind though, some ASC do turn walk-ins back.

Hi folk,

I have a question regarding to the fees of the form I-485 which is $1,70.

I am a single, and my salary is low. Can I apply for waiver so I do not have to pay the fees?

Please let me know how I can do that.

Thanks, and let me know.

You don't have the time for a waiver approval, DV based AOS is time sensitive. Plus if paying the AOS fee is already an issue, how do you convince the IO you will not become a public charge? Do whatever you can to get the money and make the payment.

I'm very curious to hear the answer to this question too.

What I was told is that you shouldn't inform the school you're applying for AOS until the very end (when you have the Green Card in your hard) at which point they can go ahead and close your SEVIS file.

The reason for this is that the F1 visa does not allow dual intent (ie: you're not allowed to hold it if you intend to remain in the USA permanently). It's unclear whether applying for AOS is enough to "show intent to remain" (the only case law I've found on the subject is the Matter of Hosseinpour, google it, which implies that applying for AOS does not show intent to remain), but if it does, it means that you may be on shaky ground in keeping your F1 status.

Something else I've been told is that you should never use your EAD card or Advance Parole while on F1 status, because as soon as you use either, you leave F1, and if your AOS is denied, you now have no status in the US (the implication being that if you hadn't used your EAD/AP, you'd still have remained in F1 status and you could fall back on that).

All of this is curated for a number of sources/lawyers I've spoken to, but none of it is certain so take it with a big grain of salt. I'd love to hear Mom's answer on this.

You've graduated from being a good student to being a great student. Your response is spot on! :D:D That means I can safely retire and pass on the baton :)

Thank you mom. I am aware that it carries some risk. My question was more about switching to CP instead of AOS now that we see the visa bulletin does not go as fast as initially expected. Do you think it may be a good idea or is it better to stick to AOS ?

I don't know. That's a decision I leave to each applicant to make on their own. I've told you over and over, we have documented cases of those who became current in September and successfully completed the process. I've encouraged you to go over the last couple of pages of past AOS Threads to get an idea of what's involved to help you decide on what to do. I make a policy of not telling people to pick one process over the other, I don't have a complete picture of everyone's case, you know your situation better than I do.

Guys,

My Case number is 2015AS000064**. I am hoping it will be current in next month. I am preparing AOS package to send Chicago Luckbox. I have not received 2NL or notification letter form KCC except the auto generated confirmation number of DS260 form submission. I am talking about row#13 in AOS pacakge in the google sheet of this forum . How important that is for AOS. Anyone has sent package without that KCC email attachment for AOS. Your advice is highly appreciated...

Jawan

It's good to have the 2NL, however, not having it hasn't been known to be a show spoiler AFAIK. We've had reports a few IOs have requested to see it in the past, I do know that failure to present it cannot lead to a denial, as we also have documented cases of people who got approved without it. So go ahead and send your package.

I don't know. That's a decision I leave to each applicant to make on their own. I've told you over and over, we have documented cases of those who became current in September and successfully completed the process. I've encouraged you to go over the last couple of pages of past AOS Threads to get an idea of what's involved to help you decide on what to do. I make a policy of not telling people to pick one process over the other, I don't have a complete picture of everyone's case, you know your situation better than I do.

I understand. Thank you mom.

Ok this is how our interview went on 04/29/2015. We reached the USCIS Office in Irving at 10:30 am as our interview was scheduled for 11:00 am. We got called at around 11:15 am . The Officer was very courteous and we introduced each other. He guided us to his office and made us feel comfortable. After which he went through our I-485, DS260 document and asked us few questions. Then he told that that we had all documents needed for him to take a decision. We asked him how long will it take to adjudicate our case and he mentioned that we should know the outcome in the next 2-3 months. We left the meeting feeling happy and within 10 days got the GC in mail.

You don't have the time for a waiver approval, DV based AOS is time sensitive. Plus if paying the AOS fee is already an issue, how do you convince the IO you will not become a public charge? Do whatever you can to get the money and make the payment.

Thanks mom,

But if it is early, can I apply for it, and is all the fees gonna be waived?

and what should I attache with the waiver form?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks mom,

Thanks a lot.

I agree with mom you could have a big problem convincing the CO you won't be a public charge if you get the fee waived. Is $170 really worth risking your green card for?

it is $1,017 not $1,70.
sorry for that.

Still, the point remains. I have no idea what you file for a fee waiver but I assume it is evidence that you can't afford the fee, which the CO in turn will probably use as evidence of you becoming a likely public charge and denying you a green card.

Thanks mom,

Thanks a lot.

Did you read the part about ability to overcome public charge in my previous response and how such a request could possibly impact your case? Anyway, your case, your call!

To qualify for a fee waiver, your income has to be 150% below the income poverty guideline. So is your annual income as a single person below $17,655? Have you been receiving means tested benefits?
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-912p.pdf

Technically speaking, form I-485 doesn't even qualify for a fee waiver, except under certain circumstance, which I doubt you fall under. You can read more about the exceptions yourself here:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...lished_by_the_Final Rule_USCISFeeSchedule.pdf

If you insist on filing, here's the link to the waiver form:
http://www.uscis.gov/i-912

You will need to include a copy of your most recent tax returns or copies of your pay stubs.

Thanks mom,

Thanks a lot.

Wait a minute though, didn't you already had your interview back in December? So what's with this waiver filing you're talking about?

I am chosing CP over AOS. If I am current for July (AS 6400)on this upcoming visa bulletin, how soon will I get the 2nd letter and how soon will be interview, approximately?

You've graduated from being a good student to being a great student. Your response is spot on! :D:D That means I can safely retire and pass on the baton :)
Haha, that's high praise - now all I need is my CPO and I'll be fulfilled in life :)

Edit: but please don't retire!! I feel like the number of successful AOS petitions would plummet!