• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I finally got the receipt from KCC after 4 weeks, sending the packet today to Chicago Lockbox. My regional office is Newark, anyone has any experience with Newark office ? any tips, do's and dont's.

Thanks.

Looking at the prior years' AOS spreadsheet, Newark looks like to be one of the busy ones.

Emergency Travel to Home country Just before filing I-485 !

My wife who is the primary selectee for DV2014 has to travel to home country on an emergency. We have NOT yet filed for I-485 but we have got the 2nd NL from KCC for doing AOS (we had sent them DSP-122 back in June). We have also got our medicals done. We are planning to send the package on 11/15 by which my wife will be back in US.

Is there a problem if one travels between BEFORE filing the I-485 but after the KCC 2nd NL and medicals are done?

Please let me know.

She should be okay, as long as her current visa is still valid at the time of her return back to the US. Be sure she's back in the US before you send out the I-485 package.

My wife who is the primary selectee for DV2014 has to travel to home country on an emergency. We have NOT yet filed for I-485 but we have got the 2nd NL from KCC for doing AOS (we had sent them DSP-122 back in June). We have also got our medicals done. We are planning to send the package on 11/15 by which my wife will be back in US.

Is there a problem if one travels between BEFORE filing the I-485 but after the KCC 2nd NL and medicals are done?

Please let me know.

My insurance from school covered TB (blood) as well. No I did not pay any co-pay for vaccinations since vaccinations was covered. $120 was for physical and syphilis blood test only. Actually syphilis blood test was covered by my school insurance but I just dint have time to drive all the way to Denton and back to Carrollton , so just paid $20 extra.
Following was covered by school insurance
1. Tdap
2. MMR
3.Varicella Immunization
4.Syphilis blood test
5. Flu- Although this was covered I did not have to take it since my medical was done prior to flu season (Oct)
6. TB-Blood Test

Thank you so much for sharing this information.

1. Did they also do the TB test? If so $120 seems very good price/person.
2. Also, if I do the vaccinations from School (I have United Health Care Insurance), how much does it cost? Did you just pay the co-pay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two Alien numbers!!

My husband and I completed our graduate studies about 5 years ago. We both got EAD cards back then for the one year OPT. For some reason it never occurred to me that we would have alien numbers on them. Anyway my number is presently current and we have received our NOA from lockbox with new A#s... while filling out our forms we left the spaces for A# blank because I honestly thought we didn't have one. After reading a post on this thread I decided to track down my old EAD card... alas!!! It has an A#!!

Will this be a problem? Should I notify USCIS or do I just keep my mouth shut and let things play out? I suspect we'll be having our bio and interview done next month... I really hope this won't be an issue or at least one that can easily be corrected.

**************************************************************************************
Whatever you do please let them know. We had that exact situation as yours and we told the interviewer and she was so glad that we told her. It can cause unneccessary delays and confusion. And believe me this process alone is stressful enough, don't make it any more stressful. All the best.

Dear Sm1smom

I would like to thank you again for your help. I finally got the acceptance notice for my case yesterday. Your inputs were awesome.

I have one more question: On the new I-797C that they sent me, a "USCIS Alien Number" is listed that is different from the one I have on by H1-B notice of action and which was on my I-485. Should I do something now? Or mention it at the interview?
Since your CN is now current for this month, don't bother to include a copy of the new memo with the package you will be sending back this time around, it's redundant in your case now. By "the green sheet of paper", you mean the paper USCIS sent back to you, right? I would suggest you write a short note explaining that your application is DV based and attach it to the green paper. Then, I suggest you put the 1NL (the selectee notification letter), followed by the check and the biographic form right on top of your 1-485 form itself. Include every other thing in the original package and mail it back to them. Be sure to make a copy of the green paper and keep that for your records.

Good luck!

Dear Sm1smom

I would like to thank you again for your help. I finally got the acceptance notice for my case yesterday. Your inputs were awesome.

I have one more question: On the new I-797C that they sent me, a "USCIS Alien Number" is listed that is different from the one I have on by H1-B notice of action and which was on my I-485. Should I do something now? Or mention it at the interview?

Congrats! Happy to know your package has been accepted and you've received the acceptance notification. I have no idea why a new A# was issued to you (USCIS seem to be doing this often when a previously issued A# has been provided by an applicant). But one thing I do know is that providing the previous A# makes it easy for them to request all the previous files they have on you and merge them together - hopefully, this would have happened by the time you go for the interview. Be sure to mention the two A# to the IO at the time of your interview. Meanwhile, it doesn't hurt to give them a call and state your observation, if steps haven't been made to pull up your previous file(s), calling will cause them to begin this process and hopefully will not cause your case to be delayed.

chances

Hey guys, thank you so much for all the valuable information all of you post and the time you take out to reply in detail, we newbies really appreciate it! My CN number is AS00076** and my country of chargeability is Kuwait. Doing an AOS is my only choice. Looking at the fact that Kuwait is a small country which only has around 34-35 visas issued per year, and that Kuwait is in the same region as Iran which I believe has a lot of selectees, I have been thinking that my chances are pretty low in getting a GC for this year, do you guys agree with me? Disagree? What do you guys think my chances are? I try not to have my hopes up too high, but it's soo hard when I have been awaiting this for what feels like all of my life....any replies are appreciated. Thanks.

Hey guys, thank you so much for all the valuable information all of you post and the time you take out to reply in detail, we newbies really appreciate it! My CN number is AS00076** and my country of chargeability is Kuwait. Doing an AOS is my only choice. Looking at the fact that Kuwait is a small country which only has around 34-35 visas issued per year, and that Kuwait is in the same region as Iran which I believe has a lot of selectees, I have been thinking that my chances are pretty low in getting a GC for this year, do you guys agree with me? Disagree? What do you guys think my chances are? I try not to have my hopes up too high, but it's soo hard when I have been awaiting this for what feels like all of my life....any replies are appreciated. Thanks.

Coming from a country with a low number of selectees is a good thing.

Your case number is decent too. Your chances are high/decent. Nothing to worry about.

I agree with c1984. Nothing to worry about your number is in safe spot.

Coming from a country with a low number of selectees is a good thing.

Your case is number is decent too. Your chances are high/decent. Nothing to worry about.

No way! Really? I thought I read somewhere that people from small countries, especially if doing an AOS, have lower chances compared to the bigger ones. How about that 7% region allotment rule? If Iran has a lot of lower numbers, do you think I still have a good chance by the time I get current, apply for the AOS, and have my interview scheduled?
By the way, thank you so much for your quick reply and positive response, I really do appreciate it.

No way! Really? I thought I read somewhere that people from small countries, especially if doing an AOS, have lower chances compared to the bigger ones. How about that 7% region allotment rule? If Iran has a lot of lower numbers, do you think I still have a good chance by the time I get current, apply for the AOS, and have my interview scheduled?
By the way, thank you so much for your quick reply and positive response, I really do appreciate it.

It's 7% per country, not region. So the fact that Iran for example gets capped helps people like you from smaller countries - Iran is not going to fill up "your" quota.

It's 7% per country, not region. So the fact that Iran for example gets capped helps people like you from smaller countries - Iran is not going to fill up "your" quota.

Oohhhhh, I get it now. Thank you for clarifying that SusieQ. I knew my number was decent enough in the global Asia front, but I was under the mistaken impression about how it would be in the AOS and regional front. I read some data in a link someone posted and according to it (after doing my own calculations), only around 33% of the DV selectees from Kuwait actually got the visa in previous years, I think it ended up making me nervous.
Thank you, I feel much better now.

Oohhhhh, I get it now. Thank you for clarifying that SusieQ. I knew my number was decent enough in the global Asia front, but I was under the mistaken impression about how it would be in the AOS and regional front. I read some data in a link someone posted and according to it (after doing my own calculations), only around 33% of the DV selectees from Kuwait actually got the visa in previous years, I think it ended up making me nervous.
Thank you, I feel much better now.

Re only 33% of selectees getting visas - there is a high attrition rate in the process in general. A lot of people don't send in forms after being selected, and some do but don't show up for their interview, and then there will be some people rejected at interview on eligibility grounds. I can't remember which thread has the overall stats in right now, but as I recall the numbers, 33% is probably one of the "better" performers.

Edit: I found the thread. Britsimon calculated that globally only about 34% of selectees even bother sending in forms, and then a bunch of those don't show up for interview. I don't know the Kuwait-specific details but on the face of it 33% ending up with visas looks much better than average!
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?562641-Putting-the-CEAC-data-into-words

Has anyone ever heard of someone who did AoS and was rejected? If so, did it happen at the interview, before or after?
thanks!

Has anyone ever heard of someone who did AoS and was rejected? If so, did it happen at the interview, before or after?
thanks!

NO, I haven't heard any. They are giving DV visas to the people who even cannot interview in English. SO there is nothing to be worried about for you. I am sure everything will be fine very soon for you. At least you had you interview and I am still waiting for a piece of paper, so you are two steps ahead of me :). So don't worry. You can call USCIS every week to make sure everything is on track. I am sure the next year this time you are helping out DV 2015 when you Green Card Received is dark black ;)

:) I guess I am getting worried now that the month has ended and I have not heard anything. I called the USCIS and they said it is within the normal time and this is not unusual. I do have a good feeling about it after everything everyone said, but I am so anxious! to be this close and not have it is torture!

NO, I haven't heard any. They are giving DV visas to the people who even cannot interview in English. SO there is nothing to be worried about for you. I am sure everything will be fine very soon for you. At least you had you interview and I am still waiting for a piece of paper, so you are two steps ahead of me :). So don't worry. You can call USCIS every week to make sure everything is on track. I am sure the next year this time you are helping out DV 2015 when you Green Card Received is dark black ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.