• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cpo!

Hello awesome support group!
I just got the text update that my status has changed and checked online that now I am at Card/Document Production. As Sm1smom rightly stated, it went straight from Acceptance to Card/Document Production. I am too excited to think! Thank you all for your advice and support during this whole process and praise the Lord for His wonderful goodness toward me!
I would especially like to thank Sm1smom for taking time from her life to answer EACH question and sometimes even review specifics of my case. I raise my glass to celebrate my success but also to thank you for your part in it!

I hope my journey, though irregular, can help others along the way. I will still be here passing on the lessons learned from this forum and from those of previous years.

PS: I have a theory based on the two previous cases which have been handled by the Norfolk field office: I think the supervisor for this office reviews all cases at the end or beginning of each month and that is when all decisions are made. In both cases, the interview was done middle of the month but the decision was received during the first week of the following month. it could also be a coincidence.

I just got the text update that my status has changed and checked online that now I am at Card/Document Production. As Sm1smom rightly stated, it went straight from Acceptance to Card/Document Production. I am too excited to think! Thank you all for your advice and support during this whole process and praise the Lord for His wonderful goodness toward me!
I would especially like to thank Sm1smom for taking time from her life to answer EACH question and sometimes even review specifics of my case. I raise my glass to celebrate my success but also to thank you for your part in it!

I hope my journey, though irregular, can help others along the way. I will still be here passing on the lessons learned from this forum and from those of previous years.

PS: I have a theory based on the two previous cases which have been handled by the Norfolk field office: I think the supervisor for this office reviews all cases at the end or beginning of each month and that is when all decisions are made. In both cases, the interview was done middle of the month but the decision was received during the first week of the following month. it could also be a coincidence.

Congrats! I'm really happy for you. Enjoy the moment.

Woowie! Congrats Spice, very happy for you! Told ya, I will be drinking my first DV 2014 AOS glass of wine in your honor. So cheers :cool: and enjoy your new status.

On a separate note, is it advisable to provide photocopies of certified translations in the package. I can take the original document and the "original" certified translation to the interview.

I just don't want to use up an original certified translation if not required. On the other hand, it might not be worth the potential additional headache, if any.

Thanks!

I would say, 'let sleeping dogs lie', don't include the copy with your package since it is not required. However, you might want to take the original and a copy along to your interview 'just in case'

Guys when can I start doing my medicals, my CN is EU19XXX? I'm in Philadelphia, is there anybody who did medicals in Philly?

Medical is good for one year. If you're pretty certain you're going the AOS route, you can do the medicals now.

Wow. That is a great news. I am happy for you spice and congratulations. I was wondering when you would get your CPO update, and finally that day came. I hope this year, all AOS applicant in this forum get their dream just like last year. Good Luck to EVERYBODY!!!

Medical is good for one year. If you're pretty certain you're going the AOS route, you can do the medicals now.

Yes I'm certain of doing AOS, and thanks a lot for your quick reply! I will make an appointment and will medicals hopefully next week!

We got the Biometrics appointment letter yesterday and just walked in today to do it. They took us in since there was no one in line. Do we need to call USCIS and let them know we did it early or will the system notify them it's ready? We just want it to move it along faster... wasn't sure if they were going to wait till the appt date anyway to start further processing.. Anyone have any idea about how it might work?

Congratulations!!!! ;)

Calling to let them know you've done the biometric isn't going to have any impact what-so-ever. The background check process is initiated once the biometric is done and the result will be forwarded to your FO upon completion. Your FO is most likely not waiting for you to complete the biometric before sending out the interview letter, it will be sent based on their workload.

my experience was exactly as Sm1smom just described. Got the interview letter before the biometrics was even done so the two things are independent. Furthermore, at my interview the I.O checked that the biometrics was done and that the results were ok - it will all be in the system and they check it right before or during your interview. I asked her if she needed me to show the stamp I got at the biometrics but she said they use the system and not information from us about those things so calling won't mean anything.

We got the Biometrics appointment letter yesterday and just walked in today to do it. They took us in since there was no one in line. Do we need to call USCIS and let them know we did it early or will the system notify them it's ready? We just want it to move it along faster... wasn't sure if they were going to wait till the appt date anyway to start further processing.. Anyone have any idea about how it might work?

F2 to F1 status change in the middle of DV AOS

Hi All,

My wife who is the principle applicant (F2 visa holder) wants to join a college. Looking at our case number I think it will take several more months before we can send I-485 for change of status. Time is running out for the spring 2014 admission. She needs to change her status from F2 to F1 before she start taking classes which starts from middle of January 2014. Will it be a good idea to go head and apply for change of status (F2 to F1) now so that it will be changed before the class starts? My fear is that if she apply for F2 to F1 which make take 1-3 months and our case becomes current in the middle then we will have two AOS applications(DV and F1). Will that be a problem? I don't want to make our DV AOS messy so I am holding F2 to F1 change until now. Please suggest what could be the best option.

She really want to Join the college because she is getting bored at home :)

Thanks as always.

Hi All,

My wife who is the principle applicant (F2 visa holder) wants to join a college. Looking at our case number I think it will take several more months before we can send I-485 for change of status. Time is running out for the spring 2014 admission. She needs to change her status from F2 to F1 before she start taking classes which starts from middle of January 2014. Will it be a good idea to go head and apply for change of status (F2 to F1) now so that it will be changed before the class starts? My fear is that if she apply for F2 to F1 which make take 1-3 months and our case becomes current in the middle then we will have two AOS applications(DV and F1). Will that be a problem? I don't want to make our DV AOS messy so I am holding F2 to F1 change until now. Please suggest what could be the best option.

Thanks as always.
Change of status is different from adjustment of status, the first is for nonimmigrant visa while the latter is for immigrant one. I think you know the answer for this: don't confuse the CIS with two conflicting applications. Things can go wrong even without your help, so don't increase the chance of screw up by being impatient.

Calling to let them know you've done the biometric isn't going to have any impact what-so-ever. The background check process is initiated once the biometric is done and the result will be forwarded to your FO upon completion. Your FO is most likely not waiting for you to complete the biometric before sending out the interview letter, it will be sent based on their workload.

my experience was exactly as Sm1smom just described. Got the interview letter before the biometrics was even done so the two things are independent. Furthermore, at my interview the I.O checked that the biometrics was done and that the results were ok - it will all be in the system and they check it right before or during your interview. I asked her if she needed me to show the stamp I got at the biometrics but she said they use the system and not information from us about those things so calling won't mean anything.

So here's a question. What would happen if you do the Biometrics at a different ASC location from your assigned one?

The ASC on the other side of the state border is closer to me than the one assigned to me. I could find instances online where people went to a different ASC but still within the same state, and they didn't face any problems. I wonder what happens if you go to one in a different state.

Hi All,

Thanks as always.

My suggestion would be for you to jettison/squash the idea of changing from F2 to F1 at this stage. The F visa is not a dual intent visa, you can't be processing a F1 visa and suddenly send in a GC application. If your wife must change to F1, then you will need to complete the process, possibly wait for about 90 days, before initiating the AOS process if you don't want to give USCIS cause for concern. Remember, the AOS process is not always a slam-dunk process or a right one can assume, the adjudicator uses discretionary power to approve the application.

I honestly don't understand why you be willing to throw so much money away as an international student when you wife can attend classes as a resident in a matter of months and pay substantially less fees, hopefully following a successful interview? Has your wife considered volunteering with some none profit organizations as a means of coping with boredom? Doing so could also give her some hands on working experience that could be useful once she's able to work in the US.

These are just my thoughts though, make the best decision that is right for your family.

So here's a question. What would happen if you do the Biometrics at a different ASC location from your assigned one?

The ASC on the other side of the state border is closer to me than the one assigned to me. I could find instances online where people went to a different ASC but still within the same state, and they didn't face any problems. I wonder what happens if you go to one in a different state.

Yes, it's possible to do the biometric at another ASC outside of the one in your State, it will not negatively impact your case if you opt to do that. As a matter of fact on the DV2013 AOS thread, there was a forum member who wasn't allowed to do a walk in at his assigned ASC, but was able to do a walk-in at another ASC in another State. I can't remember this person's name, this posting was done towards the end of the 2013 FY, you should be able to find the posting if you have the time to go through 2013 thread.

Hi All,

Thanks as always.

I have heard there are some schools accept students on F2 visa as a part time student, or for a short period of time until changing to F1. So Ask the school that you attend or any school near by if they are willing to accept your wife on F2 visa as a full or part time student. Then you don't need to worry about changing to F1 for now at least.

My suggestion would be for you to jettison/squash the idea of changing from F2 to F1 at this stage. The F visa is not a dual intent visa, you can't be processing a F1 visa and suddenly send in a GC application. If your wife must change to F1, then you will need to complete the process, possibly wait for about 90 days, before initiating the AOS process if you don't want to give USCIS cause for concern. Remember, the AOS process is not always a slam-dunk process or a right one can assume, the adjudicator uses discretionary power to approve the application.

I honestly don't understand why you be willing to throw so much money away as an international student when you wife can attend classes as a resident in a matter of months and pay substantially less fees, hopefully following a successful interview? Has your wife considered volunteering with some none profit organizations as a means of coping with boredom? Doing so could also give her some hands on working experience that could be useful once she's able to work in the US.

These are just my thoughts though, make the best decision that is right for your family.

Thanks mom for your valuable thoughts. I agree with you. I will figure out a way to make her busy until aos process is completed.

I have heard there are some schools accept students on F2 visa as a part time student, or for a short period of time until changing to F1. So Ask the school that you attend or any school near by if they are willing to accept your wife on F2 visa as a full or part time student. Then you don't need to worry about changing to F1 for now at least.

Thanks for the suggestion. If they allow part time enrollment with f2 visa that would be awesome. I asked in the near by colleges but they don't allow that. I will look for more near by colleges.

Status
Not open for further replies.