• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
This (very old) thread about AOS is structured nicely (yet does not beat Sm1smom's spreadsheet IMO). You might want to have a look at it. Obviously a lot of the concerns and advice may not apply today.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?229911-My-Aos-Experience-Tips-Guide

Apparently "Name Check" was a big deal back then for AOS. Is this still as much of a big deal and could it potentially cause significant delays in the process?

The poster alleges that if your I-485 package is returned, say for filing early, then you might need to pay the fees for a second time. Is this true in any way?

Name check is as much a big deal right now just like back then, and it is equally applicable to both CP or AOS. The purpose of the bioemtric for AOS is to enable USCIS carry out a comprehensive background check before the interview. An AOS applicant can be put under AP just like a CP candidate if there's cause for concern following the name check.

No, a second payment will not be required for an applicaction is returned due to early filing. Your payment will be returned together with the rest of your documents if the application is rejected for whatever reason.

p.s. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the spreadsheet :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Two Alien Numbers!!!

My husband and I completed our graduate studies about 5 years ago. We both got EAD cards back then for the one year OPT. For some reason it never occurred to me that we would have alien numbers on them. Anyway my number is presently current and we have received our NOA from lockbox with new A#s... while filling out our forms we left the spaces for A# blank because I honestly thought we didn't have one. After reading a post on this thread I decided to track down my old EAD card... alas!!! It has an A#!!

Will this be a problem? Should I notify USCIS or do I just keep my mouth shut and let things play out? I suspect we'll be having our bio and interview done next month... I really hope this won't be an issue or at least one that can easily be corrected.

My husband and I completed our graduate studies about 5 years ago. We both got EAD cards back then for the one year OPT. For some reason it never occurred to me that we would have alien numbers on them. Anyway my number is presently current and we have received our NOA from lockbox with new A#s... while filling out our forms we left the spaces for A# blank because I honestly thought we didn't have one. After reading a post on this thread I decided to track down my old EAD card... alas!!! It has an A#!!

Will this be a problem? Should I notify USCIS or do I just keep my mouth shut and let things play out? I suspect we'll be having our bio and interview done next month... I really hope this won't be an issue or at least one that can easily be corrected.

People have had varying results. This following case based on the signature did not face any issues:

Hey all,

I received my notification (797) that they got the AOS package and it came with a 9 digit A number that starts with a '2'. When I got my OPT at the end of my F1 I got an A number that is 9 digits but starts with a '1'. This number was also on my 797 documents from the two times I applied for H1B. I tried to do quite a bit of looking around online and I found opinions that the '1' numbers are used for student EADs and that ones that don't start with a 0, 1 or 3 are more "permanent" ones meant for immigration. There are quite a few people that say they have been given separate numbers but opinion seems to be split, with some saying this is a problem and others saying it's normal. A couple did say they had problem because of a number "mismatch" but it seems rare. There are also a lot of opinions out there that you should never have more than one A number, which can't quite be right given the number of people who do end up with multiple ones. I know there has been a discussion on this forum about A numbers earlier but I could not find it and I don't remember if it was related to this specific topic. So my question is does anyone have any experience with this? Has this happened to anyone, where the A number with the 485 is different from whatever you had before? Should I call USCIS or is this normal?

Thanks!

united1 had quite a bit of a drama though. She and her husband eventually got their GCs but had to go through some trouble:

We had an infopass appointment yesterday regarding pending application of my husband. We were helped by a very nice officer. We explained him the whole situation, how i got approved after interview but my husband didnt. He said he will go and check with the officer who conducted the interview. He came back after 20 mins and said it happened becaz my husband had multiple A# numbers. Therefore officer at the time of interview only had his temp file, and after the interview she requested VSC to send his A #file. He explained that to approve a green card all the files need to be merged together. My husband filled for a different visa last year at VSC and thats why he had a A# file there.
Officer took our number and email and said he will approve it right away once he get the requested papers. Does any one know how long it takes for moving file from visa center to local office?

Traveling overseas

Hi,

My husband is the winner of 2014 Lottery and we have already paid the 2 x $330 AOS fee payment, but our number will not be current probably until Feb or March. I (but not my husband) need to travel overseas for family reasons, so I am wondering if it’s OK or will I have problems when I want to return to the USA.
Thank you very much and Good Luck to all.

--------------------------

CN: 2014AS00004xxx

Hi,

My husband is the winner of 2014 Lottery and we have already paid the 2 x $330 AOS fee payment, but our number will not be current probably until Feb or March. I (but not my husband) need to travel overseas for family reasons, so I am wondering if it’s OK or will I have problems when I want to return to the USA.
Thank you very much and Good Luck to all.

--------------------------

CN: 2014AS00004xxx

What's your current status?

My husband is on J1 visa and I am a J2 Dependent, not working yet but recently got my EAD Card.
Will you return to USA before the expiration date of your J2 visa? Also, will you return before your husband files the I-485?

Yes, I will definitely return before that.
Then I don't see a problem. If you have to apply for a visa to get back, then it's tricky because you might be denied another J2 due to your DV selection. If you return after the I-485 has been submitted, CBP might deny your entry because you're an immigrant petitioner trying to enter using J2 nonimmigrant visa.

By the way, I'm assuming your husband's J1 is not subject to the 2-year home residency requirement. Otherwise you'll need to get a waiver before you can adjust status.

Medical test Cost and Vaccinations

Hi Guys,
I called some of the local USCIS Civil surgeons. The cost for medical test they said in the range of $200-$400(excluding any vaccinations). Is it reasonable? Also which of the following vaccinations do I need, provided that I have no record of any vaccinations whatsoever?

Also anybody from DFW region who has done medical test with reasonable cost???
please advise.

These are are the lists from I-693 form:
DT/DTP/DTaP
Td/Tdap
OPV/IPV
MMR
Hib
Hepatitis B
Varicella
Pheunococcal
Influneza
Rotavirus
Hepatitis A
Meningococcal

I went to my family practitioner who is also USCIS Civil surgeon (lucky me :). He said I need Tdap, Varicella, MMR and Flu. I paid only co-pay. My insurance covered the rest.

Hi Guys,
I called some of the local USCIS Civil surgeons. The cost for medical test they said in the range of $200-$400(excluding any vaccinations). Is it reasonable? Also which of the following vaccinations do I need, provided that I have no record of any vaccinations whatsoever?

please advise.

DT/DTP/DTaP
Td/Tdap
OPV/IPV
MMR
Hib
Hepatitis B
Varicella
Pheunococcal
Influneza
Rotavirus
Hepatitis A
Meningococcal

Hi Guys,

The price seems reasonable if this is the price for both of you (judging by your signature), and no reduction is applied due to some insurance. Some of the vaccines from the list might be "not age appropriate". In my case I only took a new shot of Tdap. But I did have proof that I had most of the other vaccines at some point.

I am from DFW area as well. I did mine at Dr. Hun K. Lee, First Care Medical Center 2625 Old Denton Road, Suite 415, Carrollton, TX 75007 (972) 242-3361. (K-mart shopping complex)

Got my vaccinations from school ( had to make optimum use of the humongous insurance money I pay as F1 student ) ;). First care charged me $120 for physical and the syphilis test.Also, they will let you know all the required vaccinations.

Hi Guys,

please advise.

DT/DTP/DTaP
Td/Tdap
OPV/IPV
MMR
Hib
Hepatitis B
Varicella
Pheunococcal
Influneza
Rotavirus
Hepatitis A
Meningococcal

I went to my family practitioner who is also USCIS Civil surgeon (lucky me :). He said I need Tdap, Varicella, MMR and Flu. I paid only co-pay. My insurance covered the rest.

I thought you were doing CP or am I mistaken? You do realize you cannot use the medical exam from US for CP in your country?

Yes, I know. I went there to have my vaccination record completed and signed. :)

I thought you were doing CP or am I mistaken? You do realize you cannot use the medical exam from US for CP in your country?

I am from DFW area as well. I did mine at Dr. Hun K. Lee, First Care Medical Center 2625 Old Denton Road, Suite 415, Carrollton, TX 75007 (972) 242-3361. (K-mart shopping complex)

Got my vaccinations from school ( had to make optimum use of the humongous insurance money I pay as F1 student ) ;). First care charged me $120 for physical and the syphilis test.Also, they will let you know all the required vaccinations.

Thank you so much for sharing this information.

1. Did they also do the TB test? If so $120 seems very good price/person.
2. Also, if I do the vaccinations from School (I have United Health Care Insurance), how much does it cost? Did you just pay the co-pay?

Hi,

I finally got the receipt from KCC after 4 weeks, sending the packet today to Chicago Lockbox. My regional office is Newark, anyone has any experience with Newark office ? any tips, do's and dont's.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.