• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filling Forms I-485 Package

Hello All,

My wife is the primary selectee (she is on h1B) and I am a derivative (on h1B) as well. I was mentioned in the Dv lottery application and our selection is based on m country of chargeability. We are readying our package to be sent to Chicago lockbox by this week as we are current in Nov. (2014AF00008XXX). In filling the forms, I have some query on the below items:

1.) I came here as student on F1 visa in 2005 and applied for OPT in 2006. I got a EAD card for that OPT valid from 1/1/07 to 1/1/08. The EAD has A# on it but as you can see, the EAD has expired. I then transferred to H1B before that expiry and have been in that status since. My question is, in the I-131 Part 1, where they ask for A#, should I mention that expired EAD card A#? I am curently on H1B and dont have any A# as of now. Please let me know.

2.) In I-131 Part 3 (Advance Parole), what date should I write in "Intended date of departure" and "trip length"? Can it just be any random date and length for next year?

3.) In I-485 Part 2, since my wife is primary selectee, should I select the option for myself as 2(b) for derivative status. My wife (as primary) has selected option 2(h). Please confirm.

4.) In I-765 Q11, the question is "Have you ever applied for employment authorization from USCIS?
Should I answer YES coz I had applied for EAD for my OPT in 2006 (Refer Q1 above)? Please confirm.
I guess the answer will be NO for my wife as she is on h1B (never had EAD). Please confirm.

Once again, I cant Thank this forum enough for ALL the help.
Thanks.

DV application packet from USCIS...

Hi All,
When I had infopass appointment in my local USCIS office few months back, the IO told me that I can pick up an application package for DV from their office when my number is current. She said it will have everything like cover and forms. I know that we can download the forms from Internet. Has anybody brought the package from USCIS? Do you guys recommend that? Do I need infopass appointment if I want to get the package from them(I am asking this because it is very hard to get an appointment in my local USCIS)?
Please suggest.

Also since medical is valid for one year, do you guys recommend me doing medical right now? I think if I prepare everything now then I can just send the form right away when my case # is current.

Thanks in advance.

Did you mail your i-485 package without the DV fee receipt? (from your signature)

Good catch...I did. I thought I read somewhere in the forums that that was ok - wrong? :confused: I was going to bring the receipt to the interview. Having become current in October and it being late October with no DV fee receipt in sight, I thought I'd mail the AOS package without. Of course I could kick myself for not waiting just two more days, but there was no guarantee as to when they'd mail the receipt. So I'll just hope it won't cause a problem and deal with it if/when it does.

EDIT: e.g. here http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?236706-DV-Fee-when-to-pay-and-what-to-do

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
When I had infopass appointment in my local USCIS office few months back, the IO told me that I can pick up an application package for DV from their office when my number is current. She said it will have everything like cover and forms. I know that we can download the forms from Internet. Has anybody brought the package from USCIS? Do you guys recommend that? Do I need infopass appointment if I want to get the package from them(I am asking this because it is very hard to get an appointment in my local USCIS)?
Please suggest.

Also since medical is valid for one year, do you guys recommend me doing medical right now? I think if I prepare everything now then I can just send the form right away when my case # is current.

Thanks in advance.
I didn't know of this package, but even if I did I would probably still opt to download the forms myself. I saved the filled PDF forms, so in case CIS lost them or anything happens to them, it's just a matter of reprinting them. If they were paper forms then I'd have to fill them out again by handwriting from the very beginning.

I would do the medical now if I were you, because the TB test could come up positive, then they'll make you take the X-ray and stuff. If you actually have TB, then you would have to undergo treatment, which could take a couple of months or more until they declare you cured. Since every single DV 2014 case has to be adjudicated by September 30th 2014 and the I-693 is good for a year, there's no benefit in waiting.

In the Biometric Information;
Current Husband or Wife (If none, so state)
Family Name (For wife, give maiden name)

Do we have to just write the last name of the current husband
last name
OR write
HUSBAND, last name?

Just write the LAST NAME only. They are able to figure out if it's refering to the "Current Husband or Wife" based on their own.

For the Biographic Information which form are we supposed to file G-325, G-325A, G-325B or G-325C?

You should use either G-325 or G-325A. Do not use B or C. G-325A is for family based applications (DV applicants can also use it, personally, I prefer G-325). G-325B is for cases with specific provisions under USCIS military regulations and G-325C is for employer based applications.

I didn't know of this package, but even if I did I would probably still opt to download the forms myself. I saved the filled PDF forms, so in case CIS lost them or anything happens to them, it's just a matter of reprinting them. If they were paper forms then I'd have to fill them out again by handwriting from the very beginning.

I would do the medical now if I were you, because the TB test could come up positive, then they'll make you take the X-ray and stuff. If you actually have TB, then you would have to undergo treatment, which could take a couple of months or more until they declare you cured. Since every single DV 2014 case has to be adjudicated by September 30th 2014 and the I-693 is good for a year, there's no benefit in waiting.

Thanks a lot Hexa.
It's very nice suggestion. You are 100% right that there is no benefit for waiting. I have already paid DV fee so I will go ahead and do my and my wife's medical as well. Only reason for not doing right now would be fear of not being current. But I can risk that as I have already risked DV fee.

Thank you very much!!
The company's activities have been started since march 2012. Therefore I didn't do report on taxes.
Plus, the board's decision was that I will develop the company at the expense of my own investments.
Maybe should I put these documents in the overall package?
Or: Is it not necessary to put financial evidence in the package or only to bring to the interview?
how should I proceed?

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't necessarily have to include financial documents with the package, especially if the documents aren't easy and straight forward IMO, you can always take those along to the interview and present them when asked.

Of course do note that including them or not doing so could get your flagged one way or the other - if complicated financial documents are included, the IO might get frustrated and ask probing questions that might otherwise not have been asked if the documents were not included. On the other hand, including financial documents could make the IO's job easier as he/she would have had time to review the documents prior to meeting the applicant and the rest of the interview would simply be a formality.

So, it's your call :rolleyes:

Hello All,

My wife is the primary selectee (she is on h1B) and I am a derivative (on h1B) as well. I was mentioned in the Dv lottery application and our selection is based on m country of chargeability. We are readying our package to be sent to Chicago lockbox by this week as we are current in Nov. (2014AF00008XXX). In filling the forms, I have some query on the below items:

1.) I came here as student on F1 visa in 2005 and applied for OPT in 2006. I got a EAD card for that OPT valid from 1/1/07 to 1/1/08. The EAD has A# on it but as you can see, the EAD has expired. I then transferred to H1B before that expiry and have been in that status since. My question is, in the I-131 Part 1, where they ask for A#, should I mention that expired EAD card A#? I am curently on H1B and dont have any A# as of now. Please let me know.

2.) In I-131 Part 3 (Advance Parole), what date should I write in "Intended date of departure" and "trip length"? Can it just be any random date and length for next year?

3.) In I-485 Part 2, since my wife is primary selectee, should I select the option for myself as 2(b) for derivative status. My wife (as primary) has selected option 2(h). Please confirm.

4.) In I-765 Q11, the question is "Have you ever applied for employment authorization from USCIS?
Should I answer YES coz I had applied for EAD for my OPT in 2006 (Refer Q1 above)? Please confirm.
I guess the answer will be NO for my wife as she is on h1B (never had EAD). Please confirm.

Once again, I cant Thank this forum enough for ALL the help.
Thanks.

1 - Yes, write the Alien #. That number is yours for life regardless of whether the EAD card is expired or not.

2 - Yes and yes. Doesn't need to be specific. If you plan on sending in the documents this week, you may want put your departure date as sometime in Dec 2013.

3 - Yes and Yes. Also your wife has to indicate something like: "DV Lottery Selection Notification Letter Attached" in front of her Option H selection.

4 - I believe it should be Yes for both you and your wife. Your wife's H1B is an authorization from USCIS for her to work. Although I do not understand why you both feel a need to fill out the I-765 since you're both on H1B already.

Hi All,
Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Complete waste of time visiting USCIS for the sole purpose of picking up the I-485 package.

Good catch...I did. I thought I read somewhere in the forums that that was ok - wrong? :confused: I was going to bring the receipt to the interview. Having become current in October and it being late October with no DV fee receipt in sight, I thought I'd mail the AOS package without. Of course I could kick myself for not waiting just two more days, but there was no guarantee as to when they'd mail the receipt. So I'll just hope it won't cause a problem and deal with it if/when it does.

EDIT: e.g. here http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?236706-DV-Fee-when-to-pay-and-what-to-do

Although the information contained in the link provided is valid in this particular case, you might want to exercise caution in the future in relying on something that is over 6 years old!

Although the information contained in the link provided is valid in this particular case, you might want to exercise caution in the future in relying on something that is over 6 years old!

Thanks...yeah, though I did find such recommendations/hints in the DV2012 thread and elsewhere as well. Also the I-485 instructions (apparently I-485 is the core of the AOS package) do not call for the DV fee receipt as one of the pieces of "basic evidence". So it was a calculated risk to send ASAP without the receipt. I don't have the 2nd NL either, but, again, I thought I'd send now rather than wait for the perfect moment.

The email response was sent by a clueless person IMO. Putting an exact USCIS FO information on the DSP is not a must, your form will be sent to the appropriate FO when the time comes and you will get the AOS confirmation, I'm willing to bet on that. You do not need to send in another DSP form. It takes a while to get back the AOS confirmation email after sending in the DSP form, so you need to exercise some patience. Also no form or photo is required to be submitted to KCC for your derivatives, only the selectee is required to do that.

Thanks for the reply! I replied to the email asking if I should resend the forms and they said it won't be necessary. I'm just so worried that wrong lil step that I take might jeopardize the whole thing..
My case number is pretty high, but we really can't afford the time to go home and do CP.. so crossing my fingers that AOS will work for us.
I've seen some cases here that people with high number still got their GC thru AOS, so i'm hopeful :)
Btw, in order to get the GC, do we have to have the interview by 09/30 or the visa issued by 09/30? My understanding is the visa usually issued a few days after interview? Thank you!

This (very old) thread about AOS is structured nicely (yet does not beat Sm1smom's spreadsheet IMO). You might want to have a look at it. Obviously a lot of the concerns and advice may not apply today.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?229911-My-Aos-Experience-Tips-Guide

Apparently "Name Check" was a big deal back then for AOS. Is this still as much of a big deal and could it potentially cause significant delays in the process?

The poster alleges that if your I-485 package is returned, say for filing early, then you might need to pay the fees for a second time. Is this true in any way?

Thanks for the reply! I replied to the email asking if I should resend the forms and they said it won't be necessary. I'm just so worried that wrong lil step that I take might jeopardize the whole thing..
My case number is pretty high, but we really can't afford the time to go home and do CP.. so crossing my fingers that AOS will work for us.
I've seen some cases here that people with high number still got their GC thru AOS, so i'm hopeful :)
Btw, in order to get the GC, do we have to have the interview by 09/30 or the visa issued by 09/30? My understanding is the visa usually issued a few days after interview? Thank you!

The visa should be issued by 9/30.

Done the Biometrics this morning in Boston. Was quick and within 30 mins my family of 4 was out of the building.

Next is the long wait for interview. Past statistics for Boston points to a date in late Mar or early April in 2014. Hope this time it moves fast due to the fact that we filed the i485 one month earlier that the previous years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks...yeah, though I did find such recommendations/hints in the DV2012 thread and elsewhere as well. Also the I-485 instructions (apparently I-485 is the core of the AOS package) do not call for the DV fee receipt as one of the pieces of "basic evidence". So it was a calculated risk to send ASAP without the receipt. I don't have the 2nd NL either, but, again, I thought I'd send now rather than wait for the perfect moment.

Yes, form I-485 is the core of the package and it does not list DV payment receipt as one of the required "basic evidence" like you've stated. However, you need to be aware that I-485 is also used for all other forms of adjustment of status, not just DV based and it certainly does not list all the "basic evidence" that must accompany a family based or employment based AOS application either, for example, and failure to include such documents with those applications usually leads to RFEs been issued to the applicants in that category. Bottom line of what I'm saying is that just because the form does not state it does not mean it is not a crucial document.

Of course in DV cases, missing documents can be presented at the time of the interview, as RFEs are usually not issued for DV based cases due to the time sensitive nature of the application. However, a Chicago Lockbox rep would be justified in returning a DV based application sent in without the DV receipt, but they rarely do that which is a good thing though.

For AOS applicants, a visa is not necessarily issued/stamped on the passport following the interview. However, the approval must be made by the close of work on 9/30 of the applicable FY.

Thanks!! if not put under admin processing, visa should issued right after if not shortly after interview no?

Not always. The IO may still require additional time to review the application on his/her own or require the apporval of a supervisor, and it does not mean the application has been put under AP in such instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.