• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear DV2014 Family,

I am ahead of most of you in the AoS process but I am hoping that you can still spare some insights for my upcoming interview.
I read all the interview experiences from 2013 and 2011 and for the most part, people said it was really easy. However, I am still a little worried about the following:
1. What happens if I don't have a document that they ask me for in the interview? does that mean immediate rejection? I read that some people get a second interview or have to send in documents after the interview?
2. I only have tax returns from 2012 and 2010. Is that a problem?
3. Is lack of financial support grounds for rejection? My interview letter didn't say anything about bringing many of the documents that I sent in and that this forum says is necessary so I am wondering how they can reject me over something they didn't ask for.
4. Is business casual a good plan for an interview outfit? Does it matter?
5. Is there any other advice, other than what to bring and wear, that can help increase my chances?

I am hoping I am one of those lucky people from whom the IO simply asks for ID and passport, but I am still anxious that this may not be the case and I am not prepared.
1. A CIS officer is only supposed to deny your application if s/he believes there is little/no chance for you to produce a required document, according to the internal memo I read. My wife didn't bring her original birth certificate and high school diploma; she was simply asked to return with them. If it's a document that CIS is supposed to keep, then they would most likely ask you to mail it in.
2. It's not going to be a problem, as long as you have other ways to prove that you have enough income, like a bank statement or pay stub.
3. Financial support by itself is not technically part of the requirement, but it helps to prove that you are not going to be a public charge. If you have a US undergraduate degree or higher, a reasonable and experienced IO is going to assume that you can make a living in USA.
4. Clothes don't matter. Wear something comfortable but decent.
5. Try to relax yet attentive at the same time. I know it's easier said than done when your entire future hangs in the balance, but try anyway. Since you're doing the process in USA you have rights, it's not like consular processing where a CO decision is final and can't be appealed. Be friendly.

All the best man .... You got the interview so quickly, awesome!!!!
which is your FO? do share your experience here?

Thx

Dear DV2014 Family,

I am ahead of most of you in the AoS process but I am hoping that you can still spare some insights for my upcoming interview.
I read all the interview experiences from 2013 and 2011 and for the most part, people said it was really easy. However, I am still a little worried about the following:
1. What happens if I don't have a document that they ask me for in the interview? does that mean immediate rejection? I read that some people get a second interview or have to send in documents after the interview?
3. Is lack of financial support grounds for rejection? My interview letter didn't say anything about bringing many of the documents that I sent in and that this forum says is necessary so I am wondering how they can reject me over something they didn't ask for.
5. Is there any other advice, other than what to bring and wear, that can help increase my chances?

I am hoping I am one of those lucky people from whom the IO simply asks for ID and passport, but I am still anxious that this may not be the case and I am not prepared.

High school diploma

Hi,

My highest qualification is PhD and I have my PhD, Ms and Bs Degree certificates. But I don't have my High school diploma with me here in US. Could someone please let me know if it is necessary to have my High school diploma.

Thank you very much and Good Luck to all.

--------------------------

CN: 2014AS00004xxx

I think so. When I check AOS documents High school diploma is a must but on the other hand Consular officers at home ask only the last diploma (high school, bsc, msc ...).

Hi,

My highest qualification is PhD and I have my PhD, Ms and Bs Degree certificates. But I don't have my High school diploma with me here in US. Could someone please let me know if it is necessary to have my High school diploma.

Hi,

Logically any diploma for a degree higher than high school should work, but there are immigration / consular officers who still insist on seeing the original high school diploma. You won't be denied though, at worst they will make you return with it.

Good luck on your interview! Keep us posted.
I found this article particularly helpful:

Applicants who file for adjustment of status in order to get their green card here in the United States must in most cases appear for an interview at an office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This usually takes place several weeks or months after submitting the adjustment of status application. If an applicant submitted a family-based petition (Form I-130 or I-360) and application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) together, USCIS will decide both of the applications at the same time.
While finally receiving the interview notice is exciting, attending the interview itself can be stressful. Because so much is at stake, it is easy to make simple mistakes, in particular:
mistakes regarding what you bring along to the interview
overoptimism about your ability to speak English without an interpreter, and
mistakes regarding what you say and do during the interview..
Bringing the Right Things to the Interview
If you do not bring all the necessary documents, the USCIS officer who interviews you may not be able to make a decision on your case that day. This can cause a delay of weeks or even months, as you will probably be asked to submit follow-up materials by mail. After that, the officer must take the time to reopen and get reacquainted with your file, decide whether to ask for even more materials, and so on.
Forgetting to Bring Original Documents to Support the Application
At the time you filed your application for adjustment, you should have submitted lots of documentation to USCIS -- in the form of copies. Applicants often forget that copies are not solid proof of anything; they can be forged or tampered with. USCIS wants the chance to inspect your originals, at your interview. Unless you remember to bring your original passport, birth certificate, marriage and divorce certificates (as applicable), and any criminal records, the USCIS officer not be able to approve your case that day.
Forgetting to Bring Documents Showing Changes in Your Life Situation
If anything in your life has changed that is relevant to your adjustment of status application – whether it helps it or hurts it – you will need to bring documents showing that fact (both originals and copies for the file). Of course, if the change is something that hurts your application, such as a recent arrest, you will also want to consult a lawyer and bring additional documents overcoming the damage, if possible. Some applicants conveniently “forget” to bring such items, hoping that USCIS won’t ask about them -- but you could risk your green card being later revoked if you hide a material fact.
If you have recently started a new job or changed your job, you will want to bring pay stubs or W-2 forms to prove that you are employed. You can also obtain a letter from your employer describing your position and stating that it does not plan on firing you in the near future. If you have recently filed a new tax return, bring a copy of that as well. These are all relevant to showing your current financial situation and that you are unlikely to become a public charge (receive government assistance) in the United States.
If a new child has been born since the time you submitted your application, bring the child’s birth certificate. If your application is based on marriage, this will help prove that you are not committing marriage fraud.
In addition, if any of the information on your application has changed, for instance your address, bring a copy of the form with the new information already filled in. While you can make corrections to your application at the time of the interview, the USCIS officer will probably appreciate your making things go smoothly.
Bringing a Competent Interpreter
Many people decide not to bring an interpreter with them to the interview, perhaps out of fear of how much it will cost, or a hope that speaking English will impress the officer with their efforts to fit into American society. Unfortunately, if you do not speak English reasonably well, there is a chance that you will misunderstand some questions the USCIS officer asks, or that the officer will misunderstand your answers. These types of misunderstandings can cause the officer to think you are being dishonest or trying to hide something, which might ultimately lead the office to deny your case.
If you cannot speak English reasonably well, bring an interpreter. USCIS does not expect all green card applicants to be able to speak English. In fact, the officer will probably appreciate the fact that you brought an interpreter in order to make things run more smoothly. Make sure that your interpreter is competent and comfortable translating between both English and your native language.
Failing to Bring Proper Translation for Foreign Language Documents
Any foreign language documents that you bring, such as birth certificates from other countries, must not only be fully translated into English, but be accompanied by a statement from the interpreter that says “I swear under penalty of perjury that I am competent to translate from ______ to English, and that this translation is a true and complete translation of the attached document.” The name of the translator and the date and place of translation should also be written here.
Failing to submit this can result in the USCIS officer asking you to submit it at a later date and will cause a delay in your case. If you did not already submit such a certificate of translation with the document, bring it with you to the interview.
Saying Appropriate Things at the Interview
Failing to listen carefully to the questions asked by the USCIS officer, volunteering information that harms your case, and lying are all common ways that applicants create problems for themselves during adjustment of status interviews, as further described below.
Saying too much
Getting chatty and offering up information that wasn’t asked for is not only unnecessary, but risky. It could lead to a misunderstanding or cause the USCIS officer to open a line of questions that gets you into trouble.
Creating the impression that you intended to stay in the U.S. forever when you applied for a nonimmigrant visa
You may be asked about the type of visa you applied for and why you wanted to come to the United States. While it may appear that the USCIS officer is just making polite conversation, he or she may be trying to judge whether or not you had “immigrant intent” at the time you got your visa -- that is, whether you actually intended to come to the U.S. permanently at the time you got your temporary visa (such as a student or tourist visa), despite having claimed at the time that your intention was to return home at the end of your stay.
Obtaining a visa on false pretenses can be a form of fraud. You’ll need to be clear about the fact that your decision to stay in the U.S. came later, after obtaining the nonimmigrant visa.
Saying you told the truth on your visa application when some of the information was false
The USCIS officer may also ask you about the information you provided in the application for whatever visa you used to enter the United States. Be careful with what you say. In all likelihood, the USCIS officer already has a copy of your application and knows exactly what is on it. If you tell the officer that you provided only truthful information at the time you applied for a visa, but you actually lied on some parts, the officer might figure it out.
For instance, when applying for a visitor visa, some people falsely state that they are married, or that they have a better job or more money than they actually do, thinking that it will increase their chances of getting the visa. If you do not tell the officer that you lied in the past and the officer discovers it during the interview, then the officer will likely be upset and may question whether the other information you have provided is truthful.
Failing to tell the truth about criminal matters
If you have previously had any arrests, convictions, or similar criminal problems, you will need to be honest about them in your interview. If you neglected to disclose them on the application, you will likely need to explain this past lie, as well. By the time of your interview, USCIS will have already run a criminal background check on you and knows whether you have been arrested. Talk to a lawyer if you are worried that a criminal record, or your previous attempts to hide that record, will be a topic of discussion during your interview.
Arguing with the USCIS Officer
Finally, never get into an argument with a USCIS officer. If you think you are being treated unfairly, ask to speak with a supervisor. Remember to stay calm and not yell at the officer.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/top-mistakes-applicants-make-adjustment-status-interview.html

Dear DV2014 Family,

i am an Asian winner of 2014. i assume my interview will be on July in next year. i hope to migrate to new Zealand for my higher studies in this December. in my gc application i provided my local details. must i provide a new set of forms to KCC after i migrate to NZ? will it be a disadvantage for me to go for the interview in a foreign country?

Current in December

Hi All,

I have been following this forum since I got selected and have gotten a lot of insight in the process. Thanks all. My number is getting current in December 2014AF00015xxx. I have following question.

1. I mailed my DSP122 form in July, received at KCC on 07/14. Called KCC last week and was told that application has been processed, however I haven't received AOS confirmation letter. Will that be required at the time of submitted AOS / Interview ?

Thanks.

Please recommend a good translation service in US and an affordable approved surgeon in Houston

Please recommend a good translation service in US and an affordable approved surgeon in Houston

i am an Asian winner of 2014. i assume my interview will be on July in next year. i hope to migrate to new Zealand for my higher studies in this December. in my gc application i provided my local details. must i provide a new set of forms to KCC after i migrate to NZ? will it be a disadvantage for me to go for the interview in a foreign country?

Provide USCIS with updated forms and indicate you wish to be interviewed in New Zealand. You may want to include evidence of your new place of residence when you send in the forms

Hi All,

I have been following this forum since I got selected and have gotten a lot of insight in the process. Thanks all. My number is getting current in December 2014AF00015xxx. I have following question.

1. I mailed my DSP122 form in July, received at KCC on 07/14. Called KCC last week and was told that application has been processed, however I haven't received AOS confirmation letter. Will that be required at the time of submitted AOS / Interview ?

Thanks.

You will get the confirmation letter eventually. If you haven't received it at the time of filing, be sure to take it along when you go for your interview. Some IOs have been reported to have asked for it at the time of interview.

Dear DV2014 Family,

1. No immediate rejection. You will be given an opportunity to either mail the document or bring it in person.

2. It shouldn't be a problem, although they may ask as to why you have no tax record for 2011

3. While the interview letter may not ask for financial document, the IO still has to be convinced that you will not become a public charge before he/she approves your AOS application, and the onus is on the applicant to convince the IO. I don't think anyone is this forum has told anyone they must provide financial documents, however based on past experiences by others, we've provided information that we think may help an applicant appear well prepared.

4. Business casual is fine. As a matter of fact, appearing in a pair of jeans and tops is equally fine. As long as you're clean looking and decently dressed/

5. Just be yourself at the interview. Don't volunteer any unnecessary information, be precise with your answers and try to relax. If you don't understand a question, ask the IO to repeat it.

Good luck and looking forward to reading of your successful interview.

Thanks Sm1smom. I think I am ready, thanks to all the advice I found on this and previous forums. I am bringing everything I can think of (even a recent credit report and leases!) so I feel a bit more confident that I can prove everything about myself that the IO can come up with.
Thanks for the well-wishes!

1. No immediate rejection. You will be given an opportunity to either mail the document or bring it in person.

2. It shouldn't be a problem, although they may ask as to why you have no tax record for 2011

3. While the interview letter may not ask for financial document, the IO still has to be convinced that you will not become a public charge before he/she approves your AOS application, and the onus is on the applicant to convince the IO. I don't think anyone is this forum has told anyone they must provide financial documents, however based on past experiences by others, we've provided information that we think may help an applicant appear well prepared.

4. Business casual is fine. As a matter of fact, appearing in a pair of jeans and tops is equally fine. As long as you're clean looking and decently dressed/

5. Just be yourself at the interview. Don't volunteer any unnecessary information, be precise with your answers and try to relax. If you don't understand a question, ask the IO to repeat it.

Good luck and looking forward to reading of your successful interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.