• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Does this government shutdown has any effect on DV process?
I just sent my DV fee yesterday to Department of State. How long does it usually take to get my reciept?
Tanks

Address Change post sending I485

Me and wife are both in consulting jobs (on H1B) doing AOS here in US and current in Nov. 2013.

1.) When we send our I-485 application to Chicago lockbox, how do they determine which FO to send our app to? I am guessing it is based on the address we provide in the app. Right?

2.) If after sending our application, we change address (before getting the interview ofcourse), is there a procedure to notify USCIS of this change and will that impact anything? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Me and wife are both in consulting jobs (on H1B) doing AOS here in US and current in Nov. 2013.

1.) When we send our I-485 application to Chicago lockbox, how do they determine which FO to send our app to? I am guessing it is based on the address we provide in the app. Right?

2.) If after sending our application, we change address (before getting the interview ofcourse), is there a procedure to notify USCIS of this change and will that impact anything? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

1. Correct. The FO is chosen based on the address you provided in the application.
2. https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa

Thanks.

I would avoid it. I would try not to mess with an opportunity of a lifetime.

Thanks.

Technically, you're supposed to notify USCIS every time you change your address. However, I wouldn't recommend doing that in once you've sent in your I-485 because of the time sensitive nature of the DV process. They're not quite as efficient as one would think or hope. If you're still able to access your mail from your previous address without any difficulty, I suggest you maintain it till after you've completed the process and recieved your GC. Then you can go ahead and change the address.

Ok. Thanks Everyone.

Technically, you're supposed to notify USCIS every time you change your address. However, I wouldn't recommend doing that in once you've sent in your I-485 because of the time sensitive nature of the DV process. They're not quite as efficient as one would think or hope. If you're still able to access your mail from your previous address without any difficulty, I suggest you maintain it till after you've completed the process and recieved your GC. Then you can go ahead and change the address.

In case you can't help but to change address, you must call CIS and talk to someone about the address change, to make sure they change it in their system right away.

Thank you. That was helpful.

Your CN is slightly high, going by past VBs, it might be around Aug - Sept 2014 before it becomes current, so I wouldn't recommend you make the DV payment now. Watch the VB for a couple of months to see how the CN for Africa progresses to get a better idea of if AOS is okay for you or if you might be better off doing CP.

In the meantime, go through the attached spreadsheet to get a better understanding of the steps involved with doing AOS:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=5

Thank you for your reply though before I sent my papers to KCC I read the 2013 AOS thread and on the form that lets you know you have been selected they tell you to send a copy of your DSP-122 and DS-230 part I & II and that was the info I gathered and I followed accordingly. The reason I brought this up was because you mentioned I made mistakes if you don't mind can you highlight the mistakes I made per your view so that others out there like me might benefit.

You need to take some time to read this thread from the beginning. You have already made mistakes because you haven't followed the instructions correctly - BUT that won't ruin your chances - so don't worry.

You case number is not yet current. Until it is current (or rather announced as becoming current) in the visa bulletin you cannot process your case. Again, reading this thread properly will exlplain that to you.

So, stop freaking out, calm down and relax. Then get reading. If you still need help you can get help here, but it is a lot easier if you have taken the time to learn about the aos process.

Hi guys,

I am not sure if I should include the employment letter or not: my current job is a fixed term appointment (that is, it has a date after which it cannot be extended). In my case that date is 1 July 2014.

Can it be seen as a negative thing the fact that I have a job that is about to be finished?

Or should I just include just the W2's and the pay stubs from 2013?

Thank you for your reply though before I sent my papers to KCC I read the 2013 AOS thread and on the form that lets you know you have been selected they tell you to send a copy of your DSP-122 and DS-230 part I & II and that was the info I gathered and I followed accordingly. The reason I brought this up was because you mentioned I made mistakes if you don't mind can you highlight the mistakes I made per your view so that others out there like me might benefit.

Yes sure. I am not that familiar with the AOS process, but my understanding is that if you want to do AOS you send DSP-122 to KCC and NOT the DS230. By doing so you have confused KCC so they had to figure out and confirm that you wanted to do AOS. The email they sent is trying to confirm that you want to do aos - and has the point about "to continue this case with Consular Processing".

Furthermore, the case number you have quoted is AF60,000 plus. That number won't be current for some time, so it is not surprising the KCC lady told you to wait until the number is current. She should not have been rude to you, but she might have been frustrated because you failed to follow in the instructions. In any case - those mistakes won't have done your case any harm, so don't worry....

FYI, I gained that understanding by reading parts of this thread, and the 2013 one like it, and also that point is clear on the spreadsheet that Sm1smom referred you to above.

My guess as to the mistake Britsimon referenced in his response to you is the fact that you didn't come across as having looked into the pros and cons of doing AOS vs CP for someone with a high CN before sending in your forms to KCC. You also didn't seem to have a grasp of what doing AOS entails before sending in the forms. But of course you cleared some of that perception now with the explanation that you read some of the postings on the AOS 2013 thread (although IMO, it doesn't seem to me like you did enough of that either before sending in your forms). Some people on the AOS 2013 felt it was necessary to include the DS-230 form, but we went to a great deal to tell them it wasn't necessary.

EDITED
Looks like Britsimon answered for himself while I was in the process of putting this post together. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

I am not sure if I should include the employment letter or not: my current job is a fixed term appointment (that is, it has a date after which it cannot be extended). In my case that date is 1 July 2014.

Can it be seen as a negative thing the fact that I have a job that is about to be finished?

When is your CN current? If you're sending in your I-485 any time soon, you can send it with your W2s and pay stubs. July 2014 is still a bit far off for an IO to be concerned about your current employment being on a fixed term. You can send the package without the employment letter, but be sure to take it along to your interview.

Thanks to both Britsimon and Sm1smom. Your input is highly appreciated. Keep up the good work.

My guess as to the mistake Britsimon referenced in his response to you is the fact that you didn't come across as having looked into the pros and cons of doing AOS vs CP for someone with a high CN before sending in your forms to KCC. You also didn't seem to have a grasp of what doing AOS entails before sending in the forms. But of course you cleared some of that perception now with the explanation that you read some of the postings on the AOS 2013 thread (although IMO, it doesn't seem to me like you did enough of that either before sending in your forms). Some people on the AOS 2013 felt it was necessary to include the DS-230 form, but we went to a great deal to tell them it wasn't necessary.

EDITED
Looks like Britsimon answered for himself while I was in the process of putting this post together. :rolleyes:

When is your CN current? If you're sending in your I-485 any time soon, you can send it with your W2s and pay stubs. July 2014 is still a bit far off for an IO to be concerned about your current employment being on a fixed term. You can send the package without the employment letter, but be sure to take it along to your interview.

Thanks for the answer Sm1smom. My case number is current in October. I was planning to send the package yesterday, but I wanted to wait a bit to see how the shutdown is affecting the AOS process.

You shouldn't delay any further, begin the process and get your application into the system as soon as possible.

Hi guys,

I would say including the employment letter not only wouldn't harm, but also it would be very helpful.

If you have a job right now without having an LPR status, if anything, it's an indication that you are very likely to secure a job in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.