• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about late AOS application, I20 expire and OPT

Hi everyone,
I was lucky to be selected for DV2014 and I found this forum very useful for many questions I have. I am a F1 student now. I try to do AOS but my number doesn't seem to be current soon (AS11XXX). I am going to graduate this spring (2014 May) and my I-20 is going to expire in the end of the spring semester. I am planning to apply OPT if I cannot do AOS before I graduate. I was thinking to visit my home during 2014 summer before I start to work (mid-August 2014). However, I think it might be a high chance that my number can be current during summer time while I am at my home country(June, July). Not sure what to do now (AOS or GC)and I would like to hear any suggestion for this situation. Thank you!

Money on bank account when doing AOS

Hello and Happy New Year everyone :eek:
My apologies if this question has already been asked earlier.
I am an international student studying on an F1 visa and have been selected for DV 2014.
I applied for AOS and hoping that my interview will take place in June/July (EU16***).
I just had a question about the bank statement showing that I have finances. Do you think that it would look suspicious(raise extra questions) if I had the needed amount on my bank account since I'm an international student (not allowed to work in the States)?
Is it safer to find a sponsor? Has anyone faced this issue before?

My second question is regarding the ''exit'' stamp in my passport (it's a round stamp with a date showing when it expires). It's basically a stamp that I need in order to leave my country. It expires in April (before my interview) and I was wondering if that might become an issue during my interview too.. Do the officers review your passport during the interview at all?

Please reply if you have some useful tips regarding those issues/questions.
Thank you so much for your help. This forum has been an amazing source of information!!!!

Chicago FO CLOSED !

Hey guys,

I had my AOS interview scheduled for today at Chicago FO. Due to inclement weather, the FO is closed today and it says on their website that they would be re-scheduling our interviews.

Wanted to keep you guys posted.

My second question is regarding the ''exit'' stamp in my passport (it's a round stamp with a date showing when it expires). It's basically a stamp that I need in order to leave my country. It expires in April (before my interview) and I was wondering if that might become an issue during my interview too.. Do the officers review your passport during the interview at all?

Your country put an "exit" stamp on your passport that "expires"? I find this very unusual. What is the purpose of the stamp? Does it mean that you have to go back to your country before the "exit stamp" expires?

BTW, I don't think the USCIS would care about the proceedings inside your country as long as your passport in its entirety is valid.

Hey guys,

I had my AOS interview scheduled for today at Chicago FO. Due to inclement weather, the FO is closed today and it says on their website that they would be re-scheduling our interviews.

Sorry to hear that buddy. I hope you get an interview soon.

Thanks c1984.

Has anybody dealt with such situation before or read any experience on this? Our only concern now is by when will our intw be re-scheduled? I know its almost only the start of dv2014 but still getting anxious... Thanks.

Sorry to hear that buddy. I hope you get an interview soon.

Spot on! :)

Hi bulldogchild! :)

With regard to your first question, since your number is not current yet, it was definitely not too late to have sent your documents to KCC. I am not sure when you will get their response back, but according to other people's experiences, it seems like KCC replies a few weeks before the number becomes current. So don't worry about that.

As far as the high school certificate goes, it is the requirement for AOS regardless of the other advanced levels of education that you may have. You must include it in your AOS packet (and also have an original copy when you go for your interview). I don't know what your native language is, but you could simply ask someone who is fluent in both your mother tongue and English to translate the document and then attach a note that says that this person is competent to perform this translation. You can find more info here: http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/document-english-translation.html
I asked my friend to translate my documents, and then we both went to a local notary to notarize the translation. That being said, there is no need to have your documents translated by a professional translation agency (although some people choose to do that).
You can find more information about the AOS process, as well as a number of useful links in this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=5
There are several pages in this spreadsheet, so take your time to familiarize yourself with the content. But of course, ask questions here! :)

Good luck! :)

You're right about the possibility of not being current till around summer time. Some of the pros and cons of AOS viz-a-viz CP can be found in the following, go through and make what you consider to be the best option for you:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=6

Hi everyone,
I was lucky to be selected for DV2014 and I found this forum very useful for many questions I have. I am a F1 student now. I try to do AOS but my number doesn't seem to be current soon (AS11XXX). I am going to graduate this spring (2014 May) and my I-20 is going to expire in the end of the spring semester. I am planning to apply OPT if I cannot do AOS before I graduate. I was thinking to visit my home during 2014 summer before I start to work (mid-August 2014). However, I think it might be a high chance that my number can be current during summer time while I am at my home country(June, July). Not sure what to do now (AOS or GC)and I would like to hear any suggestion for this situation. Thank you!

No, having the required amount in your bank account isn't likely to raise any question unless your a/c history shows the large amount of money to be a one time dump, in which case the IO may ask for an explanation of what's going on. If you're able to also find someone to fill out an I-134 as a back up plan, it might not be a bad idea.

The date on the exit stamp from your country in your passport is of little concern to USCIS, what they're interested in is your being in continous status in the US.

Hello and Happy New Year everyone :eek:
My apologies if this question has already been asked earlier.
I am an international student studying on an F1 visa and have been selected for DV 2014.
I applied for AOS and hoping that my interview will take place in June/July (EU16***).
I just had a question about the bank statement showing that I have finances. Do you think that it would look suspicious(raise extra questions) if I had the needed amount on my bank account since I'm an international student (not allowed to work in the States)?
Is it safer to find a sponsor? Has anyone faced this issue before?

Please reply if you have some useful tips regarding those issues/questions.
Thank you so much for your help. This forum has been an amazing source of information!!!!

Sorry to learn of your interview cancellation. I would suggest booking an infopass at your FO (I don't think you're likely to find any opening slot under 2 weeks), and if a new interview appointment hasn't been scheduled by the time of the appointment, you can attend the infopass and request for then to re-schedule you. You can always cancel the appointment if a new IL is received before then. Not quite sure if calling USCIS 1-800 number will be of much help as they're likely to give you a standard response without taking into account the time sensitive nature of DV.

Hey guys,

Will doing a walk-in be entertained tomorrow for intw? Reason is we live in Bloomington (2.5 hrs from here) and since we are here in Chicago anyways, want to give a try for interview tomorrow when they open.

Sorry to learn of your interview cancellation. I would suggest booking an infopass at your FO (I don't think you're likely to find any opening slot under 2 weeks), and if a new interview appointment hasn't been scheduled by the time of the appointment, you can attend the infopass and request for then to re-schedule you. You can always cancel the appointment if a new IL is received before then. Not quite sure if calling USCIS 1-800 number will be of much help as they're likely to give you a standard response without taking into account the time sensitive nature of DV.

Really can't say if a walk-in interview can take place. But sure, give it a shot since you're already in the area. You've got nothing to loose by trying, they could at least provide information on a new appointment date which could hasten the process anyway.

Will doing a walk-in be entertained tomorrow for intw? Reason is we live in Bloomington (2.5 hrs from here) and since we are here in Chicago anyways, want to give a try for interview tomorrow when they open.

Bad Luck !Interview Postponed !

Our AOS interview was yesterday but due to bad weather conditions, the Chicago FO was closed yest.

I was able to take an Infopass appt. today for 7:45AM at Chicago FO. We went there and gave our ILs to the concerned people. We were first told that the intw will be rescheduled and we will need to wait for another notification for rescheduling. After we told them that this was a Time bound-limited visas DV case, they took our letters to the section chief there. This process took 30 mins. After 30 more mins, the section chief came and took us into a room. He said very politely that he cant do anything as they are very understaffed and full for the month of January. He said tentatively your rescheduled Intw will be on 12th FEB and you will get a new notification for that. We told him again that this is a DV case with limited visas available and time bound. He said we have until september and it is still not "too" late so that we need to worry abt visas getting over.

There was nothing else we could say but just that we will wait for the reschedued notification.
We went ready with all our paperwork but I guess things were just not meant to happen today. I know FEB is still not bad but really sad about it. In all 365 days, the FO had to close 1 day and that was the day of my inw. Waiting for new IL now. :-(

Really can't say if a walk-in interview can take place. But sure, give it a shot since you're already in the area. You've got nothing to loose by trying, they could at least provide information on a new appointment date which could hasten the process anyway.

Our AOS interview was yesterday but due to bad weather conditions, the Chicago FO was closed yest.

I was able to take an Infopass appt. today for 7:45AM at Chicago FO. We went there and gave our ILs to the concerned people. We were first told that the intw will be rescheduled and we will need to wait for another notification for rescheduling. After we told them that this was a Time bound-limited visas DV case, they took our letters to the section chief there. This process took 30 mins. After 30 more mins, the section chief came and took us into a room. He said very politely that he cant do anything as they are very understaffed and full for the month of January. He said tentatively your rescheduled Intw will be on 12th FEB and you will get a new notification for that. We told him again that this is a DV case with limited visas available and time bound. He said we have until september and it is still not "too" late so that we need to worry abt visas getting over.

There was nothing else we could say but just that we will wait for the reschedued notification.
We went ready with all our paperwork but I guess things were just not meant to happen today. I know FEB is still not bad but really sad about it. In all 365 days, the FO had to close 1 day and that was the day of my inw. Waiting for new IL now. :-(

That is crappy luck but in time it will be something you will just laugh about as part of the story of your journey to LPR!

You did good, and that's most important.

It sucks, I know! But you are still one of the luckiest ones to 1) have won 2) with a low CN.

Thing's will be all right my friend.

Not quite surprised as to the outcome of your trip. Yeah, waiting sucks, but the positive aspect of your trip is the fact that you got them to give you a tentative date, which is what I had suggested was likely to happen. So hang in there, like others have encouraged :)

Status
Not open for further replies.