• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
That implies that the automatic updates will provide more information than the status shown after logging in to the Check My Case Status (that doesn't have a status like "something mailed"). Hmmm...I didn't want to sign up for automatic updates because I can always log in and find out, but the above suggests otherwise.

The automatic updates tells you when there are changes in your case. The updates are only useful towards the end when your EAD/GC gets approved. They even update you when UPS picks up your card.

Actually the memo says you can file as early as today. But in practice they seem to only accept cases filed at most one month early. My case and other people's were returned for filing "too early" but then were accepted when filed later. I suggest not filing too early as it always leaves you wondering how to deal with the returned package that is fully scrambled. Wait until Jan 1st and you should be safe. otherwise, considering the upcoming holidays, chances are that the returned package may reach you even after Jan 1st and you may end up worse than if you had waited until Jan 1st in the first place.

Thanks indeed for your response.
So, considering the January 1th is the new year, shall I still send the package in a way that it arrives Chicago Lock Box in 1 January 2014? Or shall it arrive there in January 2, 2014?
And,
Shall I include the original DV fee payment receipt (paid to DOS) that I received from DOS or a copy it is sufficient?
What about other documents such as my Transcript, and Enrollment Verification? Shall I obtain an official transcript or just an unofficial is fine?
For documents that I send a copy (such as I-20, passport, VISA page, etc.,), shall I obtain certified copies or just a normal copy is fine?
Thanks for your response in advance.
You know, fall semester is over but I'm still busy with TA duties!

So, considering the January 1th is the new year, shall I still send the package in a way that it arrives Chicago Lock Box in 1 January 2014? Or shall it arrive there in January 2, 2014?
And,
Shall I include the original DV fee payment receipt (paid to DOS) that I received from DOS or a copy it is sufficient?
What about other documents such as my Transcript, and Enrollment Verification? Shall I obtain an official transcript or just an unofficial is fine?
For documents that I send a copy (such as I-20, passport, VISA page, etc.,), shall I obtain certified copies or just a normal copy is fine?

January 1 is a holiday - so January 2 is your only choice!

And,

Jan 2nd is fine. They are not working on Jan 1st, so your package will not be delivered anyway. If you send the package to the P.O.Box they will pick it up on the 2nd, and if it's sent using the courier address a person needs to be present to sign for it. I had mine delivered on Dec 2nd as well. No big deal.

Send only photocopies. No certified copy needed. You should be able to re-create the whole package if need be. Keep photocopies of the whole package you send, so 1) you know what you sent 2) you can re-assemble the package if needed (in case something happens to your package, which is not out of the realm of possibility). Take the originals of all the documents and the "shadow" package to your interview.

If you can, get an official transcript, but sending a photocopy is fine.

Good luck refigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
The automatic updates tells you when there are changes in your case. The updates are only useful towards the end when your EAD/GC gets approved. They even update you when UPS picks up your card.

Ok so that means that

a) the "changes" you get updated on are not the status changes you would normally see on the web page, at least not the early ones

b) because it's only useful towards the end, "mailed interview letter" is not an update you will get. Or "mailed bio letter" for that matter. This in turn implies that signing up for updates is not a method to find out when something (e.g. interview letter) was mailed. So I guess the only way to do that is to call USCIS every once in a while and ask "did you mail me something?"

Ok so that means that

a) the "changes" you get updated on are not the status changes you would normally see on the web page, at least not the early ones

b) because it's only useful towards the end, "mailed interview letter" is not an update you will get. Or "mailed bio letter" for that matter. This in turn implies that signing up for updates is not a method to find out when something (e.g. interview letter) was mailed. So I guess the only way to do that is to call USCIS every once in a while and ask "did you mail me something?"

Totally wrong! Those who sign up for case updates WILL receive texts/emails when there are updates such as mailed bio or interview letters. I just don't get why someone would opt to spend hours on the phone trying to get the same information that would have been sent directly to them in the first place though.

Totally wrong! Those who sign up for case updates WILL receive texts/emails when there are updates such as mailed bio or interview letters. I just don't get why someone would opt to spend hours on the phone trying to get the same information that would have been sent directly to them in the first place though.

Ok, thanks Sm1smom. The above implies that the events you are notified of through text/emails are not just towards the end, and they are not (just) the events you can see on the web page (more precisely the change of status you see on the web page).

One might want to call them up, though, when a failed delivery of text/email is suspected. Text and email are only a best-effort service on part of both USCIS and text/email carrier. My NOA texts never arrived (note this doesn't require signing up on the web page, but filling out G-1145), for example (but email did).

Hi All,

I have few question about AOS Package. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I am in F-1 visa, graduating May 2014. Currently, I am doing full time CPT.
My questions:
1) What "Evidence of Financial Support" do I need?
2) Do I need Employment Document?
3) My CN is current in February and I am planning to fill I-765 just in case. Do I need to pay ( $1070 + $380 )?

Thanks.

Maybe this question seems dullard but I wanna know if we can staple the related documents when I'm putting them inside the envelope?
For example, my Diploma and Bachelor degrees (along with its translations) is over 5 pages, and I don't see using a clip a good option because so many documents with clips would result in a kind of clutter.
The same thing about I-485 and G-325A forms, I don't know if I'm allowed the staple these forms to their related attachments?
Thanks for your assistance:)

Maybe this question seems dullard but I wanna know if we can staple the related documents when I'm putting them inside the envelope?
For example, my Diploma and Bachelor degrees (along with its translations) is over 5 pages, and I don't see using a clip a good option because so many documents with clips would result in a kind of clutter.
The same thing about I-485 and G-325A forms, I don't know if I'm allowed the staple these forms to their related attachments?
Thanks for your assistance:)

I did not staple anything together. I put in all the documents on order and put in a envelope and send to them. Please read the thread as others have shared their experience.

Hi All,

I have few question about AOS Package. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I am in F-1 visa, graduating May 2014. Currently, I am doing full time CPT.
My questions:
1) What "Evidence of Financial Support" do I need?
2) Do I need Employment Document?
3) My CN is current in February and I am planning to fill I-765 just in case. Do I need to pay ( $1070 + $380 )?

Thanks.

For questions 1 and 2, go through the following link;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=1

Question 3: No, you do not make an additional payment of $380 for an I-765. The payment is already included in the $1070 fee if filing the form together with I-485.

We did a walk-in Biometrics today. The person that accepted the forms clearly circled the location and appointment time on the letter, which didn't match the ASC we went to to and the time. He did not mention it at all though. I wouldn't say the center was particularly quiet.

The lady that administered the finger-print mentioned that we were early, but they would proceed because it's Christmas time and everybody wants to be happy for the holidays :) I think they didn't want to come across as taking their job lightly and not noticing the discrepancy. This was reassuring to me of course.

They stamped the letters, dated them, and handed them back to us. I asked if we would get to keep the letters and she said yes. Is this something that happened to others as well? She said we should get a status update.

We did a walk-in Biometrics today. The person that accepted the forms clearly circled the location and appointment time on the letter, which didn't match the ASC we went to to and the time. He did not mention it at all though. I wouldn't say the center was particularly quiet.

The lady that administered the finger-print mentioned that we were early, but they would proceed because it's Christmas time and everybody wants to be happy for the holidays :) I think they didn't want to come across as taking their job lightly and not noticing the discrepancy. This was reassuring to me of course.

They stamped the letters, dated them, and handed them back to us. I asked if we would get to keep the letters and she said yes. Is this something that happened to others as well? She said we should get a status update.

All going according to plan - cool!

Yes, to your question regarding the bio letter being stamped and handed over to the applicant. About the status update, don't hold your breathe! The lady either lied or she has no idea what she's talking about. Applicants do not get any update following the bio appointment, unless USCIS is starting this as a new practice.

Yes, to your question regarding the bio letter being stamped and handed over to the applicant. About the status update, don't hold your breathe! The lady either lied or she has no idea what she's talking about. Applicants do not get any update following the bio appointment, unless USCIS is starting this as a new practice.

A little confused now. Earlier you wrote

So I'm not sure if I should expect an update following bio, namely an "interview letter mailed" update.

A little confused now. Earlier you wrote

So I'm not sure if I should expect an update following bio, namely an "interview letter mailed" update.

There's nothing to be confused about. There's usually no update shown online or sent via text/email following the completion of the biometrics. Just because you've completed the bio does not mean you'll get the IL right away. The interview letter is not automatically sent following the completion of the biometric, there's no guarantee how long it's likely to take before an IL is sent. However, when the IL is eventually sent out, if you signed up for case updates, that is when you will receive a case update text/email.

Good afternoon to everybody :)

Today I received the verification of Enrollment Letter from university. It indicates that I've been a full time student during Spring and Fall semester, HOWEVER, it also indicates that I've NOT been a full time student during SUMMER time. I took 2 credits during SUMMER (every international student knows that he/she is NOT required at all to register for summer classes).
So, basically I've always keep my full time status, but I have no idea if this point will be clear to officers as well, especially considering that the officer can only notice about my SUMMER enrollment if he/she thoroughly notices the dates written in the Verification of Enrollment Letter.
Anybody has any suggestion? DO you think it's an issue that I should NOT be worried about at all?
Please notice that I'm adding Verification of Enrollment Letter to my documents just as a proof that I've always kept full time status. With the above mentioned issue, though, I'm not sure if this letter is actually serving my purpose.

Thanks for your assistance fellows.

Hi Aria! :)

Summer is by default a vacation quarter and thus you are not required to register for classes over the summer. Your verification of enrollment letter simply indicates that you were not not taking any classes during the summer (just because some students do); however, it does not affect your full-time status as long as you maintained your F1 status during the other two semester of the academic year.

Good afternoon to everybody :)

Today I received the verification of Enrollment Letter from university. It indicates that I've been a full time student during Spring and Fall semester, HOWEVER, it also indicates that I've NOT been a full time student during SUMMER time. I took 2 credits during SUMMER (every international student knows that he/she is NOT required at all to register for summer classes).
So, basically I've always keep my full time status, but I have no idea if this point will be clear to officers as well, especially considering that the officer can only notice about my SUMMER enrollment if he/she thoroughly notices the dates written in the Verification of Enrollment Letter.
Anybody has any suggestion? DO you think it's an issue that I should NOT be worried about at all?
Please notice that I'm adding Verification of Enrollment Letter to my documents just as a proof that I've always kept full time status. With the above mentioned issue, though, I'm not sure if this letter is actually serving my purpose.

Thanks for your assistance fellows.

Hi Aria! :)

Summer is by default a vacation quarter and thus you are not required to register for classes over the summer. Your verification of enrollment letter simply indicates that you were not not taking any classes during the summer (just because some students do); however, it does not affect your full-time status as long as you maintained your F1 status during the other two semester of the academic year.

Thanks for your reply Fiefia ;)
Yea, it's clear to me! (I took 2 credits during summer, though). But I'd like to see if everybody with the same situation as me (F1) has the same style of Verification of Enrollment Letter? It just shows the dates (not Fall, Spring, Summer) and my status during mentioned date period, so, if the officer doesn't look at the dates carefully, he/she may conclude that I've not always been on status! That's my concern!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.