• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for asking such dumb questions, but only to make sure, What do I need to answer for part1. Current USCIS status and expiration date ( because my visa is expired long time ago)
part2. I am applying for an adjustment to permenant resident status because?
Thank you

1. Since you're a student, then your Current Status should be F1. For the expiration, check your I-94, it should either have "D/S" (Duration of Stay) or a specific date written on it.

2. "H" - and type or write "DV Lottery Selectee Notification Letter Attached"

Thank you Sm1mom. Your answers are always appreciated. I can not imagine how I could proceed with AOS process without valuable info you have provided in here.

I got your answer about filing I-765 but in my case , since I will be graduating in May and I am current in February, Do I recommend that I file I-765 with I-485 or that would be unnecessary and I would get my GC hopefully by graduation? Because I read somewhere in I-485 instruction that If I file I-765 with it, I do not need to pay fee for I-765 but if I file it separately, I need to pay the fee, am I right?

1. Since you're a student, then your Current Status should be F1. For the expiration, check your I-94, it should either have "D/S" (Duration of Stay) or a specific date written on it.

2. "H" - and type or write "DV Lottery Selectee Notification Letter Attached"

Reporting for duty on the AOS thread.

After a bloody nightmarish struggle with USCIS trying to get an H1-B visa approved for the past few months they have FINALLY approved it today. It has been hard because the sponsoring company is my brother so they have been very suspicious of the whole thing. So - we will make the move to the States prior to our number being current and probably be on H1 status for 3 or 4 months before we go green!

Sm1smom - I am going to need your help!

Thank you Sm1mom. Your answers are always appreciated. I can not imagine how I could proceed with AOS process without valuable info you have provided in here.

I got your answer about filing I-765 but in my case , since I will be graduating in May and I am current in February, Do I recommend that I file I-765 with I-485 or that would be unnecessary and I would get my GC hopefully by graduation? Because I read somewhere in I-485 instruction that If I file I-765 with it, I do not need to pay fee for I-765 but if I file it separately, I need to pay the fee, am I right?

Just throw in the I-765 with your package then, I think it's a good idea. Yes, the fee is included with the I-485 if filed together.

After a bloody nightmarish struggle with USCIS trying to get an H1-B visa approved for the past few months they have FINALLY approved it today. It has been hard because the sponsoring company is my brother so they have been very suspicious of the whole thing. So - we will make the move to the States prior to our number being current and probably be on H1 status for 3 or 4 months before we go green!

Oh wow! Gongrats Simon! ;) I'm very happy for you and your family, one step closer it is for you. I'm sure you already know the AOS process backwards yourself :rolleyes:, but I'm available to render whatever assistance I can.

Good luck with the move!

Oh wow! Gongrats Simon! ;) I'm very happy for you and your family, one step closer it is for you. I'm sure you already know the AOS process backwards yourself :rolleyes:, but I'm available to render whatever assistance I can.

Good luck with the move!

Well I am sure gonna study the process now! It is very reassuring to know you will be available though - for real.

Congrats simon , I'm really happy for u :)
Just one question? Don't u think ur # is to high aos ?

Welcome aboard, Simon. Glad to have you in this thread as a fellow sufferer :) (j/k. we all recognize what a privilege it is to win the lottery)

Congrats simon , I'm really happy for u :)
Just one question? Don't u think ur # is to high aos ?

Thanks Vladek!

Well I am going to watch the next VB. I am hoping for my number to be current in May, and June latest. If that is right I should have plenty of time...

Congrats Britsimon, welcome to the club of H1B'ers :)

No, you go ahead and send your I-765 separately, there are no fee if your I-485 accepted already. I sent my I-765 application 3 weeks later then my I-485 and did not pay any fee. I do not know about parole application.

cheers,
serge

No, you go ahead and send your I-765 separately, there are no fee if your I-485 accepted already. I sent my I-765 application 3 weeks later then my I-485 and did not pay any fee. I do not know about parole application.

cheers,
serge

Can you expand more on why it is beneficial for the OP to send the I-765 separately from the I-485? :confused: What is the status update regarding your I-765 itself?

Can you expand more on why it is beneficial for the OP to send the I-765 separately from the I-485? :confused: What is the status update regarding your I-765 itself?

When I send my I-485 I didn't know that my employer will cancel my H1B and I did not apply for I-765. So, I sent it 3 weeks later and it was accepted. I did not say it is beneficial, I just said, it is possible :) My application status for I-765 is CPO now. Actually, before I sent I-765 I did lots of research on USCIS site and found that I can do it - sorry, I do not remember where it is as I did not save the link.

cheers,
serge

Last edited by a moderator:
When I send my I-485 I did know that my employer will cancel my H1B and I did not apply for I-765. So, I sent it 3 weeks later and it was accepted. I did not say it is beneficial, I just said, it is possible :) My application status for I-765 is CPO now. Actually, before I sent I-765 I did lots of research on USCIS site and found that I can do it - sorry, I do not remember where it is as I did not save the link.

cheers,
serge

Thanks for providing us with more explanation as to why you sent your I-765 3 weeks after sending in your I-485 package. Yes, you're right one can do that as I do know that it is possible to send in the I-765 separately, I'm just not aware of what benefit that could be. Normally, one would need to wait for the Notice of Acceptance (I-797C) for the I-485 to be received before sending in the I-765 if applying separately since the I-797C is the evidence that needs to be included as proof of the I-485 payment. Hence I see no reason why one should send in the forms separately if the decision has already been made to apply for an EAD.

You are absolutely right, Sm1smom, I put I-797C for the I-485 as the proof of the I-485 payment into the I-765 application package.

cheers,
serge

Sm1smon: Thanks very much for your comment. I am every day waiting and somehow frustrated but looking every day for a good news!!

What great news! Congratulations! :) Good luck with the move! :)

Thank you Serge and Sm1smom for your input

Thanks for providing us with more explanation as to why you sent your I-765 3 weeks after sending in your I-485 package. Yes, you're right one can do that as I do know that it is possible to send in the I-765 separately, I'm just not aware of what benefit that could be. Normally, one would need to wait for the Notice of Acceptance (I-797C) for the I-485 to be received before sending in the I-765 if applying separately since the I-797C is the evidence that needs to be included as proof of the I-485 payment. Hence I see no reason why one should send in the forms separately if the decision has already been made to apply for an EAD.

If he/she signed up with USCIS (using the link posted below) for case updates, then a text or an email will be sent (depending on the selected method) whenever something is mailed out or there's an update on the case:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/selectusertype.jsp;jsessionid=bacSTyhWs02BH-ykZgcmu

Of course, he/she has the option of calling USCIS too for updates.

That implies that the automatic updates will provide more information than the status shown after logging in to the Check My Case Status (that doesn't have a status like "something mailed"). Hmmm...I didn't want to sign up for automatic updates because I can always log in and find out, but the above suggests otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.