• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NOA that we have been referring to in the AoS process is an official form from the USCIS. It is a Notice of Action form (I-797) which USCIS sends for all official notifications it makes. I received one for my J1 visa 2-yr rule waiver. It is just an official notice, it does not grant any immigration benefits. I will need to bring that in to the interview.
So the text was just a precursor to this official NOA, because I filled out the G-1145.

I did not apply for work or travel documents in the I-485 so I have no EAD etc.

Is it possible to put the links for downloading each form to be filled in the AOS spreadsheet?
Thank you

The NOA that we have been referring to in the AoS process is an official form from the USCIS. It is a Notice of Action form (I-797) which USCIS sends for all official notifications it makes. I received one for my J1 visa 2-yr rule waiver. It is just an official notice, it does not grant any immigration benefits. I will need to bring that in to the interview.
So the text was just a precursor to this official NOA, because I filled out the G-1145.

I talked today with USCIS second level officer again. She was realllly nice. She advised me to send back the document again immediately. She told me that the people in lock-boxes are not immigration officer. So they do mistakes. But she asked me to mention the name of the new memo in the cover letter,PM ... .Then highlight it and attach the page four of the memo to the cover letter with those four lines highlighted. In addition; I asked her if these rejections have negative effect on our case or not and she explained to me that rejection is not a bad thing. So it may happen because of many things. So guys do not worry if you get rejected.

Is it possible to put the links for downloading each form to be filled in the AOS spreadsheet?
Thank you

Oh common! This is almost like asking for someone else to fill out the forms for you. Sorry, not trying to chide or put the spot light on you, but the truth is there's already a link for where all the USCIS forms can be found on the spreadsheet (but not for the individual forms).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AujPy0MMX51hdG5yUE5qV25wcEU2LXAzMlk2WXVoVnc&usp=sharing#gid=6

You just need to go through and identify the forms yourself and click on the applicable link. :rolleyes:

I talked today with USCIS second level officer again. She was realllly nice. She advised me to send back the document again immediately. She told me that the people in lock-boxes are not immigration officer. So they do mistakes. But she asked me to mention the name of the new memo in the cover letter,PM ... .Then highlight it and attach the page four of the memo to the cover letter with those four lines highlighted. In addition; I asked her if these rejections have negative effect on our case or not and she explained to me that rejection is not a bad thing. So it may happen because of many things. So guys do not worry if you get rejected.

I thought I sang this song over and over again already! Nothing wrong with an application that is originally rejected, no negative impact what so ever, and the forms previously sent in can be resent again and again and again until it's accepted (if you faced multiple rejections :p). I also sang about putting the new Memo on top of the entire package and highlighting it.

I thought I sang this song over and over again already! Nothing wrong with an application that is originally rejected, no negative impact what so ever, and the forms previously sent in can be resent again and again and again until it's accepted (if you faced multiple rejections :p). I also sang about putting the new Memo on top of the entire package and highlighting it.

Yes, you are right. So probably all the people who got rejected want to send back the documents immediately with highlighting all of those stuff.

Spice2013,
Congratulations! :) And thank you for giving a piece of advice, too. Very helpful! :)

Hello everyone,

I received the acceptance text this morning at 1AM. It states that my case was received and I should receive the official I-797 in the mail. It also contained my receipt number which, when entered in the USCIS website, shows that my case is in the "acceptance" stage. No email was received.

Just to remind everyone, I included a cover letter explaining why I was submitting the I-485 early (citing the policy memorandum number and release date) and I attached a copy of the new memo with it. The subject line of the memorandum was highlighted.
I also emailed USCIS lockbox after the packages of others were rejected. I did not get a response to that email.

I hope others get a response of acceptance soon!

Ok Thanks,

I got confused with (I-797) wordings as I've H1B approval which also says I-797 on form. But in this DV case - it's referring to NOA for package acceptance.

It's funny to see "Highlighting the Memo" by folks applying is necessary for such an important process of the most powerful country in the world ! I deliberately didn't attach memo as it may look offensive for the folks out there who do this everyday and must have a copy of memo or acquaintance if it's issued by there management !

Ok Thanks,

I got confused with (I-797) wordings as I've H1B approval which also says I-797 on form. But in this DV case - it's referring to NOA for package acceptance.

It's funny to see "Highlighting the Memo" by folks applying is necessary for such an important process of the most powerful country in the world ! I deliberately didn't attach memo as it may look offensive for the folks out there who do this everyday and must have a copy of memo or acquaintance if it's issued by there management !

The officer told me that the people in the lockbox are just staff and not immigration officer, so they did not know the new rules.

You're assuming too much, my friend :). The people who handle the forms at the Lockbox are contract staff, not direct employees of USCIS, and they have no deep knowledge of immigration stuff even though they work for the immigration dept. Same thing with the L1 personnel who handle the calls to USCIC (and KCC too for that matter). You will be surprised by the fact that you know a lot more about the process than most of them do.

Thank you. Sorry, I had copied the spreadsheet on my computer before those new sheet added, so I could not see them. Thanks again for your help.

Oh common! This is almost like asking for someone else to fill out the forms for you. Sorry, not trying to chide or put the spot light on you, but the truth is there's already a link for where all the USCIS forms can be found on the spreadsheet (but not for the individual forms).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AujPy0MMX51hdG5yUE5qV25wcEU2LXAzMlk2WXVoVnc&usp=sharing#gid=6

You just need to go through and identify the forms yourself and click on the applicable link. :rolleyes:

Basic Documents

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the useful commentary.

I have a question regarding the documents that are essential when sending in the I-485. The spreadsheet has many but it seems that not all are necessary to be sent along with the I-485 and can instead be provided at a lter stage during an interview? Is that correct? I'm particularly asking this question regarding the following documents:

b) Email from KCC (2nd NL - Confirmation Notice from KCC) - I never received this and KCC said it's not necessary? Anyone heard similarly?
c) Copy of DV payment receipt - I sent my payment five days ago and haven't received a receipt yet.

Would one have to wait for the any of the above if number becomes current before any of the above is fulfilled?

Ok Thanks,

:) If I may say, that's a very cute way of thinking about the US government my friend. :)

You are in the US, right? Haven't you noticed how little faith American people have in their government?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the useful commentary.

I have a question regarding the documents that are essential when sending in the I-485. The spreadsheet has many but it seems that not all are necessary to be sent along with the I-485 and can instead be provided at a lter stage during an interview? Is that correct? I'm particularly asking this question regarding the following documents:

b) Email from KCC (2nd NL - Confirmation Notice from KCC) - I never received this and KCC said it's not necessary? Anyone heard similarly?
c) Copy of DV payment receipt - I sent my payment five days ago and haven't received a receipt yet.

Would one have to wait for the any of the above if number becomes current before any of the above is fulfilled?

a) It depends on which document you're refering to. The more documents you send along with your package, the easier it will be for the IO to access your case and decide on a possible approval (before seeing you in person). They do spend time going over the application before the interview,and if you provide adequate documents ahead of time with your application, the interview is likely going to be a breeze. IO wouldn't need to tell you he/she needs to further study your case before making a determination at the end of the interview.

b) This can be provided at the time of the interview, it's not a show spoiler if it's not included with the package.

c) High possibility of the package been returned to you. They may not be willing for you to show up at the interview and now confirm that you actually paid the DV fee. It could take upto 2 weeks or more to get the receipt back.

For the receipt, it's highly recommended to wait and receive it before sending in your I-485 package even if your CN is current.

EB green card vs. DV lottery

Hi,
congrats to all winners and thanks for the helpful posts.
My husband and I are H1B holders. We've been in USA since 2001 and we've been playing the lottery for about 15 years. Finally I won (2014EU00023xxx). Also, we have approved I140 and we've been waiting for our priority date to be current. And yes, it's current for September. The company attorney can file AOS for EB green cards. The problem is that our employer is a "slave-owner". If we get GC through the DV lottery we'll be free. I read that we can have two pending I485 which is great but in our company we pay for everything (legal fees + DHS). The attorney is waiting for our birth cert., medicals, etc. but we'd like to hold on with that. Telling our employer about the lottery it's not an option.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

a) It depends on which document you're refering to. The more documents you send along with your package, the easier it will be for the IO to access your case and decide on a possible approval (before seeing you in person). They do spend time going over the application before the interview,and if you provide adequate documents ahead of time with your application, the interview is likely going to be a breeze. IO wouldn't need to tell you he/she needs to further study your case before making a determination at the end of the interview.

b) This can be provided at the time of the interview, it's not a show spoiler if it's not included with the package.

c) High possibility of the package been returned to you. They may not be willing for you to show up at the interview and now confirm that you actually paid the DV fee. It could take upto 2 weeks or more to get the receipt back.

For the receipt, it's highly recommended to wait and receive it before sending in your I-485 package even if your CN is current.

Thank you very much sir! That was a very helpful answer, certainly appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Hi,
congrats to all winners and thanks for the helpful posts.
My husband and I are H1B holders. We've been in USA since 2001 and we've been playing the lottery for about 15 years. Finally I won (2014EU00023xxx). Also, we have approved I140 and we've been waiting for our priority date to be current. And yes, it's current for September. The company attorney can file AOS for EB green cards. The problem is that our employer is a "slave-owner". If we get GC through the DV lottery we'll be free. I read that we can have two pending I485 which is great but in our company we pay for everything (legal fees + DHS). The attorney is waiting for our birth cert., medicals, etc. but we'd like to hold on with that. Telling our employer about the lottery it's not an option.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

I've been around for quite some time too, with similar frustrations.

Your number will become current possibly in the second quarter of 2014. It may take up to 3 months after that until you get your Green Card. Afterwards you are free and can give the slave-owner the finger if you so desire :) You will have to pay $330 per person for DV fees and around $1000 per person for the AOS.

On the EB side, after filing I-485 it may take possibly up to 6 months(?) to get the GC. And remember that after you get your GC the main applicant will have to stick around for another 6 months before changing jobs to prevent any red flags during the citizenship application.

If you apply now through EB, chances are you might get your GC before you even become current through DV. I don't think you would get to have two simultaneous I-485s. But you may have to stick around longer than you would if you did DV.

I recommend doing the EB now. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush I would say! I'd rather have the GC sooner and be certain, even if it is more expensive and I have to stay with an a-hole employer for an additional 6 months.

Hey Mdv2014,

How do I contact chicago office. My application was received on 4th Sept and haven't got any response yet. I know Spice2013 was submitted after me and got the acceptance already.

Wondering if it's normal and should continue to wait or call them and ask on status.

what's the number and directions to reach second level officer ?

Thanks.

The officer told me that the people in the lockbox are just staff and not immigration officer, so they did not know the new rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.