• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Just called KCC and they said they've been told they don't expect to increase the cut-off for Europe. I guess this is game over.

Just called KCC and they said they've been told they don't expect to increase the cut-off for Europe. I guess this is game over.
Oh wow, this is indeed sad, I'm sorry to hear this. It's brutal.

My AOS package is not being processed and perhaps it is because they don't have enough visas available any longer for EU.

Take a look at the timeline spreadsheet to see how the Boston FO is doing
Thank you!
I think Boston office is not working very efficient, just like some other FOs. Tried 1-800 number and infopass. I think they are all useless. Very little information was given.

Oh wow, this is indeed sad, I'm sorry to hear this. It's brutal.

My AOS package is not being processed and perhaps it is because they don't have enough visas available any longer for EU.

No - the EU visas have not yet hit a limit - but obviously it makes sense to push hard now....

@Sm1smom, mom, my sister is lucky enough to be current (by 50+ CNs only). @Britsimon suggested that i seek further advice from you too. he mentioned that she should send in her AOS package as soon as she can, even before the 1st of Aug to ensure that everything is in the system in time. my sister has all required documents ready including the forms, sealed medical exam result, and affidavit of support from her LPR friend. do you have any other suggestions as to what else she has to do for the time being? i am so excited for her and at the same time worried that all the visas available now will be used up before she has a chance for the interview, which i assumed it would be some time late september (given that her CN is almost last being current).

HI friends! I received my IL today and it will be in july 31!!
There is in "what else should bring " part they request completed Affidavit of support (form I 864)with some required evidence of sponsors!
I think this form is for family case not for DV.
Could you pleases give me some advise for that ?
Im in f1 visa with full fund and my spouse is in f2.

HI friends! I received my IL today and it will be in july 31!!
There is in "what else should bring " part they request completed Affidavit of support (form I 864)with some required evidence of sponsors!
I think this form is for family case not for DV.
Could you pleases give me some advise for that ?
Im in f1 visa with full fund and my spouse is in f2.

You are correct - the I864 is not to be used for DV cases. You can use the I134 if you need it, but you don't need it if you can show adequate funds to support yourselves. Congrats on the appointment date!

You are correct - the I864 is not to be used for DV cases. You can use the I134 if you need it, but you don't need it if you can show adequate funds to support yourselves. Congrats on the appointment date!
Thanks Britsimon for quick answer

I called 1-800-375-5283. After some time of going round the normal channels it became clear that I was as able as she was to read the online update BUT I was still concerned. The agent was not as aware of DV processes as I am - so I had to explain the September 30th deadline and further explained the 140k selectees issue as an additional stress. I was very careful to explain it all in a way that got her on my side, as opposed to "telling her" things she should know. The agent was sympathetic and polite and she eventually mentioned the possibility of raising an expedite request - she explained it had to have a real justification and wasn't sure I could justify it, but she read through the list of acceptable reasons to expedite a case and about the last option mentioned something about cases that had a sunset timing issue "such as DV lottery cases". She and I both realized that would work and she said - "Bingo - that is what you were explaining!". So - she created three individual expedite requests (one for my, wife, daughter and myself) each one referencing the other. She gave me three reference numbers. She said the expedite "had to" be answered within 5 business days - but sometimes takes longer. I don't know for sure what it will mean for my case - that is why I was waiting before reporting back. I checked with Mom, and she said it was a positive thing for my case - so I am glad I did it. I'm not sure if your "inquiry" to the FO is the same - but it sounds like it.
Thank you, Simon, for such a detailed answer.
I called 1-800-375-5283 today again. (Yesterday I called same number and right away asked to transfer me to the level 2 officer and was on hold for 3 hours) . This time I started talking with the agent following your instructions here immediately. I didn't have to explain her much about expedite request reasons. Once I said DV - she immediately said "sunset timing issue". She must be the same agent you talked to :) . She created an expedite request for me as a main applicant. In the request she also referenced my husband and two daughters cases. So it was one expedite request for all four of us. She said normally they reply within 5 business days - but could be longer.
She also said that my FO is overloaded. They may don't have Interview slots available. Hopefully the request will help to speed up.
In the beginning of the conversation she said that my case is pending in Nebraska. This makes me wondering. Does it mean that folder with my case has not arrived to the FO yet? Does it mean that my folder is sitting in Nebraska? Or if this is just a phrase meaning that my case have not reach Interview phase yet?

Thank you, Simon, for such a detailed answer.
I called 1-800-375-5283 today again. (Yesterday I called same number and right away asked to transfer me to the level 2 officer and was on hold for 3 hours) . This time I started talking with the agent following your instructions here immediately. I didn't have to explain her much about expedite request reasons. Once I said DV - she immediately said "sunset timing issue". She must be the same agent you talked to :) . She created an expedite request for me as a main applicant. In the request she also referenced my husband and two daughters cases. So it was one expedite request for all four of us. She said normally they reply within 5 business days - but could be longer.
She also said that my FO is overloaded. They may don't have Interview slots available. Hopefully the request will help to speed up.
In the beginning of the conversation she said that my case is pending in Nebraska. This makes me wondering. Does it mean that folder with my case has not arrived to the FO yet? Does it mean that my folder is sitting in Nebraska? Or if this is just a phrase meaning that my case have not reach Interview phase yet?

That really does sound like the same lady! I was given three referral IDs - one for each case. She did three separate ones but that was a precaution (she said one was all that was needed) - partly because my "excuse" for calling and persisting was that my daughters case had become detached from mine. My referral ID ends with three letters - SFR. When she saw that she said that was confirmation that all three cases were already at the SanFRancisco office. Your number may be revealing in the same way.

@Sm1smom, mom, my sister is lucky enough to be current (by 50+ CNs only). @Britsimon suggested that i seek further advice from you too. he mentioned that she should send in her AOS package as soon as she can, even before the 1st of Aug to ensure that everything is in the system in time. my sister has all required documents ready including the forms, sealed medical exam result, and affidavit of support from her LPR friend. do you have any other suggestions as to what else she has to do for the time being? i am so excited for her and at the same time worried that all the visas available now will be used up before she has a chance for the interview, which i assumed it would be some time late september (given that her CN is almost last being current).

That's right, she doesn't have to wait till Aug 1st, she can give it a shot now. She should print out the New Policy Memo, highlight the section that encourages early filing for numbers on the advanced notification section of the VB and include it with her package. Also it wouldn't hurt for her to print out the newly released VB, highlight the section that pertains to her CN and include that also.

I'm assuming she's already paid the DV administrative fee and she has the receipt. It's the final lap of the race, you want to finish with a sprint.

Reactions: CWH
That really does sound like the same lady! I was given three referral IDs - one for each case. She did three separate ones but that was a precaution (she said one was all that was needed) - partly because my "excuse" for calling and persisting was that my daughters case had become detached from mine. My referral ID ends with three letters - SFR. When she saw that she said that was confirmation that all three cases were already at the SanFRancisco office. Your number may be revealing in the same way.
This is great to know! My referral ID ends with TAM which must be Tampa. Now we have to wait for the response.

This is great to know! My referral ID ends with TAM which must be Tampa. Now we have to wait for the response.

OK - that sounds good. I just got a package of three letters this evening which are receipts of the expedite requests. The letter came from the SF office. So - you should get those within a couple of days - then hopefully we will get some response within the 5+ days the rep mentioned.

Mom , please I have question for you , the cut off for the month of September for Africa is 81100 , is that means above this number disqualified . Or we can send our package also .
CN ... AF 84***.

Mom , please I have question for you , the cut off for the month of September for Africa is 81100 , is that means above this number disqualified . Or we can send our package also .
CN ... AF 84***.

Since you have not become current, you cannot submit your package. If AF number were to be revised upward then you might then become current, but it is doubtful. I'm sorry...

That's right, she doesn't have to wait till Aug 1st, she can give it a shot now. She should print out the New Policy Memo, highlight the section that encourages early filing for numbers on the advanced notification section of the VB and include it with her package. Also it wouldn't hurt for her to print out the newly released VB, highlight the section that pertains to her CN and include that also.

I'm assuming she's already paid the DV administrative fee and she has the receipt. It's the final lap of the race, you want to finish with a sprint.

thank you mom for your suggestion about the new policy memo. i want to make sure it is the correct document my sister should include as the first page (http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf). should she print all 7 pages? i am not sure where to highlight. is it all under the "implementation" section?

yes, she paid the DV fee and has the receipt with her. she is now so worried that she might not get everything right. she even insisted on taking new photos at the post office because the ones that she has now were self taken and developed, and the background does not appear white as stated in the document somewhere.

my sister has had from her friend a while back: I-134 and last 3 years of tax transcripts. her LPR friend just gave additional documents to her today: the employment letter issued by the employer, and also a bank statement. however, the banks confirms a current balance of 1K+ and average balance of $785 (last 12-month period), which i think is quite low compared to her friend's monthly salary of 2K+. (recent tax return filed as single with 30K+, so it's definitely above the poverty line). should my sister include the bank statement in the package? i think her friend might not want to furnish her main account, perhaps. as worried as she can be, she is going to ask our cousin to provide a bank statement from our home country as a backup. our cousin has been her sponsor for tuitions and living expenses all these years, so it is a genuine sponsor document. do you think it is necessary to include our cousin's bank statement at all?

Last edited:
Mom,

Apologies in advance if I sound like a broken record. I went through the timeline and other DV selectees who submitted the AOS package after me, have received the NOA already.

Should I send a second AOS package at this point ? My line of thinking is that if there was something missing in the file they would have sent it back just like they did the previous time ( within 8 days).
They are certainly not processing it, maybe they have lost it, who knows. The package was delivered to them as I have the signature from FedEx.

This waiting time is an edge case. I'm not getting the file processed or rejected, maybe they are not in receipt of it at all ..

Not surprisingly, my expedite request has been rejected due to the wrong expedite criteria. I called USCIS again to make another request with the correct criteria. The lady was very unhelpful and unfriendly. She said she could not submit another expedite request before 30 days - no exceptions. I explained my DV situation and told her that 30 days would be too late. She said she couldn't do anything for help. I insisted on going over the expedite criteria which she did. However when I asked her what "extreme emergency situations" meant, she refused to answer on the basis that it is my burden to find out what it is by visiting USCIS website. At this point I understood that we wouldn't get anywhere and hung up. I'm thinking about writing a letter to my FO. Britsimon: do you recall the exact criteria you chose for the expedite request?