• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

There's no big deal or major process involved with this. Simply go to the SSA website, download the form, fill it out and tick the Card Replacement option. Take the form, your GC and your old SSN card down to their office (have your birth certificate on hand too just in case, they shouldn't need it again but you never know with these people).
Thanks. Sounds like an easy process.

And your photos all look so nice.

My green card photo makes me look like the lead zombie in World War Z :oops:
Tell me about it. I look like a psycho criminal on my advance parole card. The same photo will be used on my GC. My eyes are wide open and my face is serious like I'm thirsty for blood. If I were shown the photo, I would have asked to have it retaken.

Tell me about it. I look like a psycho criminal on my advance parole card. The same photo will be used on my GC. My eyes are wide open and my face is serious like I'm thirsty for blood. If I were shown the photo, I would have asked to have it retaken.

Should have used your Avatar photo - that is awesome!

I'm surprised the person that took your picture didn't ask you to take a look at it before dismissing you, probably caught him/her on their worst day :rolleyes:? They usually ask people to check the picture to see if they like it or not, at least they always did that at my ASC every time I went there.

I'm surprised the person that took your picture didn't ask you to take a look at it before dismissing you, probably caught him/her on their worst day :rolleyes:? They usually ask people to check the picture to see if they like it or not, at least they always did that at my ASC every time I went there.

Yeah they asked me - but I'm the wrong side of 50, overweight, and balding. There is really no point in checking the photos - it can't get any worse.

You can reduce or eliminate the waiting time by calling 1-800-772-1213 to book an appointment ahead of time you know :rolleyes:

Yeah - I was looking for that online - I know it was possible but didn't think I would have to go back to old technology like a phone!

my sister had her interview today and here is her experience:

-----
I just had the interview at the Chicago field office. My schedule was at 10.45. The lady officer took me to her office and asked me to take an oath. She then asked for my interview appointment letter, passports (I have one old, with F1 visa, and one current. she also took my I-94 with her), and photo ID. Then she flipped over my file to verify my info (name, DOB, address) and went through the questions on I-485, and verified the info on my birth certificate. She also asked for the original birth certificate (for those who are waiting for the interview, please take photocopy of the original with you - luckily, I had a copy with me). Then, she checked amd verified my timeline on my F1 status. She also asked about the relationship between me and my sponsor. After all that, she typed something on her computer and handed me a "Notice of interview result" and below was the conversation:

IO: "I cannot make the decision at this spot, I need to review for more in the afternoon"
Me: "What's the hold up? Is the AOS file, DV file, and background check here?"
IO: Yes, but I cannot make a decision right now. I know your case is time sensitive, and if we need more documents I will contact you back.
Me: Can I call back and ask for the result?
IO: No, I will contact you myself, or else you will receive you card in a mail within 2 weeks.
-----

what do you guys think? is it a good interview? is it normal for the IO to take the I-94? i asked my sister whether she had a chance to mention about the IVEMWEB but she said that the IO was firm on her response and she did not want to nag her more. however, the IO seemed to know about the DV process. my sister is now worried.

Guys I really do not get it. Finally my status was “On September 10, 2014, we mailed the new card directly to the address we have on file. You should receive your new card within 30 days.” And then it was changed again to “On September 10, 2014, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later.”
What is going on there? Where should I get this card? Thanks.

-----
I just had the interview at the Chicago field office. My schedule was at 10.45. The lady officer took me to her office and asked me to take an oath. She then asked for my interview appointment letter, passports (I have one old, with F1 visa, and one current. she also took my I-94 with her), and photo ID. Then she flipped over my file to verify my info (name, DOB, address) and went through the questions on I-485, and verified the info on my birth certificate. She also asked for the original birth certificate (for those who are waiting for the interview, please take photocopy of the original with you - luckily, I had a copy with me). Then, she checked amd verified my timeline on my F1 status. She also asked about the relationship between me and my sponsor. After all that, she typed something on her computer and handed me a "Notice of interview result" and below was the conversation:

IO: "I cannot make the decision at this spot, I need to review for more in the afternoon"
IO: Yes, but I cannot make a decision right now. I know your case is time sensitive, and if we need more documents I will contact you back.
IO: No, I will contact you myself, or else you will receive you card in a mail within 2 weeks.
-----

what do you guys think? is it a good interview? is it normal for the IO to take the I-94? i asked my sister whether she had a chance to mention about the IVEMWEB but she said that the IO was firm on her response and she did not want to nag her more. however, the IO seemed to know about the DV process. my sister is now worried.

Your sister had the same exact experience that I had last Friday. My file was also kept for additional review. They handed me a slip in which was stated that they have all the required documentation and will reach out if they identify anything missing. There is no hold up in the system (DV file, AOS package and bakcground checks are all cleared). They also know the case is time sensitive.

I have been "stalking" them with phone calls and also requested another expedite request on case adjudication. Today someone from FO called back and asked me to give it time until next Wednesday.

That has been my experience and I have no idea why they are doing it in fact. I would like to think that there are taking their time.

What I have done so far and what she can also do are:

1. Set 2 infopass appointments (you can do the second one by switching the last name as first name :p )
  2. If you don't see the status updated within 5 days, raise another expedite request for case adjudication with the National Service Center.
  3. Get engaged with your congressmen local office. Ask them to ask whether the process has bottlenecked ?
Hope this help and have faith. It's hard as I'm going coucou myself, few more days hopefully ...

Last edited:
Reactions: CWH
Guys I really do not get it. Finally my status was “On September 10, 2014, we mailed the new card directly to the address we have on file. You should receive your new card within 30 days.” And then it was changed again to “On September 10, 2014, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later.”

That is a good news and Congratulations, you should be receiving your card in the next 14 business days. Nothing to worry now. This is also the end of your journey :)

-----

-----

Your sister had the same exact experience that I had last Friday. My file was also kept for additional review. They handed me a slip in which was stated that they have all the required documentation and will reach out if they identify anything missing. There is no hold up in the system (DV file, AOS package and bakcground checks are all cleared). They also know the case is time sensitive.

I have been "stalking" them with phone calls and also requested another expedite request on case adjudication. Today someone from FO called back and asked me to give it time until next Wednesday.

That has been my experience and I have no idea why they are doing it in fact.

If there was nothing outstanding for either case then they just pulled out the "I need to review the case" card. Basically, my thought is that there is nothing they need to review except the "Gren Card processing for dummies" book they have on a shelf somewhere. The experience level of the IOs varies and these ones don't know what they have to check or do to close the case so what they are doing is checking how to finish the job. On the plus side, most of these "reviews" have been pretty quick - sometimes a few hours - others have lasted a couple of weeks. I haven't seen any that have ended badly - so fingers crossed for you both.

R.E.L.A.X! Your GC is on it's way, you should receive it in the next couple of days. The messages you're seeing online is the standard procedure - basically saying your GC and Welcome Letter have been mailed.

-----

-----

Nothing unusual with the interview. I'm sure she will be approved shortly. It may simply be the IO is not authorized to approve and needs to run the case by a supervisor. Taking an I-94 is a good indication of a pending approval.

That has been my experience and I have no idea why they are doing it in fact. I would like to think that there are taking their time.

What I have done so far and what she can also do are:

Set 2 infopass appointments (you can do the second one by switching the last name as first name :p )
If you don't see the status updated within 5 days, raise another expedite request for case adjudication with the National Service Center.
Get engaged with your congressmen local office. Ask them to ask whether the process has bottlenecked ?
i am sorry to hear that. and that's why my sister is so worried now. my sister made an infopass ahead of the interview on sept 15. hopefully she doesn't need to attend it.

the other selectee in my town had the interview today and he is also in the same situation.

my sister plans to get in touch with the congressman's office tomorrow if her status is not updated by today (as she was told that her case would be reviewed this afternoon).

thanks for the tip about how to make a second infopass! please keep us posted on your case and i will do the same for my sister's.