• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 Program-Online Registration October 4 - NOV 2ND, 2011.

A low number is always best!

If you are not ready for an interview in October, then you can reschedule it till December or so. The visas will not run out by then. I wouldn't leave it any later than March/April though.

If you are not ready for an interview in October, then you can reschedule it till December or so. The visas will not run out by then. I wouldn't leave it any later than March/April though.

Oh I wouldn't want to wait until March/April! I'd be ready to go as soon as possible! Just unfortunate that the police checks apparently have to take 6 months prior :(. I need to stop getting my hopes up though, stop planning. I keep looking on craigslist for LA, Dallas, and Little Rock all day! Just looking at car prices/houses/pet stuff etc.. Way too excited given the chances.

How dificult was it for you guys to make a decision to move to the US? In terms of leaving family members behind... I mean for me personally, it was the most difficult thing to overcome. Nobody from my family has ever moved to a place so distant and they are used to being pretty close. But my desire for living my American Dream is stronger and I figured there might be no better time to do it. After all, I have just one try in this world so I want to make the most out of it and do what I really love to do. Which takes me back to the quote in your signature, Q. I like it a lot and agree with it fully.

I have lived in The States for a few years.

I have a close (european migrant) family in Aus and am happy to have the space! Joking aside.........I miss them terribly and sometimes think "what am I doing here?" Especially when important events happen like newborns and milestone birthdays etc. It is a problem. We always have enough money in the bank to take a trip home every year, but you will also want to travel elsewhere, and the problem is that in the USA, you usually only get 2 weeks holiday. If you have a green card, then you have leverage to negotiate for more holidays ( probably 3 weeks at best!) - whereas those of us on Visas can't.

Still..you will be so busy here and enjoying yourself that you will be happy. (and saving money - the cost of living is so much cheaper - if you maintain good (un-american :) frugal habits and don't get sucked into the consumerism and eating out.)

Family and friends will come and visit you..dont you worry about that!

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I wouldn't want to wait until March/April! I'd be ready to go as soon as possible! Just unfortunate that the police checks apparently have to take 6 months prior :(. I need to stop getting my hopes up though, stop planning. I keep looking on craigslist for LA, Dallas, and Little Rock all day! Just looking at car prices/houses/pet stuff etc.. Way too excited given the chances.

Hi Jess

I have not made myself clear so let's clear this up real quick - the police check must be done within 6 months of interview, i.e., it can't be a check done a year ago, so if you have an interview in October, that's ok, it means your check will be nice and new :)

And don't worry, planning is not a bad thing! I have a folder with all our documents in it, and have had it sitting under my desk here (at home) since I applied, adding copies of school records, marriage etc etc as I go. If I don't get a number this year, I still have it all there! If I do, same thing lol

Hubby knows when I have 'USA days', because I spend it looking on craigs list for apartments, jobs (for me, he has one there), costs of shipping. I am the eternal optimist :)

Q

Hi Jess

I have not made myself clear so let's clear this up real quick - the police check must be done within 6 months of interview, i.e., it can't be a check done a year ago, so if you have an interview in October, that's ok, it means your check will be nice and new :)

And don't worry, planning is not a bad thing! I have a folder with all our documents in it, and have had it sitting under my desk here (at home) since I applied, adding copies of school records, marriage etc etc as I go. If I don't get a number this year, I still have it all there! If I do, same thing lol

Hubby knows when I have 'USA days', because I spend it looking on craigs list for apartments, jobs (for me, he has one there), costs of shipping. I am the eternal optimist :)

Q

Oh! That makes sense! Then I hope for a very low number so I could leave sooner! :)

I have 'USA days' everyday! I too look for jobs and what not :) It's just exciting. I've even emailed several pet shipping companies to get a quote on how much it'd cost to bring my dog. (He's only a puppy right now - I'm really only fostering him, but I've had him 6+ weeks now and I'm in love! I want to adopt him!) $2100 I got quoted for recently was much better than the first quote of $3500! So I'm highly considering it! That quote was on him being full sized sometime next year, even better if I could leave sooner then he'd be much smaller & cheaper!

I haven't worked out any documents at all though, I do have a folder somewhere though of everything I needed when I moved to Canada in 2010 on a working holiday visa, so I guess most of the basics are in there.. I hope we're all lucky on May 1st!

I like to come back to this forum several times a day now. I might check it more frequently than Facebook, haha (which I'm going to dump soon probably).

How dificult was it for you guys to make a decision to move to the US? In terms of leaving family members behind... I mean for me personally, it was the most difficult thing to overcome. Nobody from my family has ever moved to a place so distant and they are used to being pretty close. But my desire for living my American Dream is stronger and I figured there might be no better time to do it. After all, I have just one try in this world so I want to make the most out of it and do what I really love to do. Which takes me back to the quote in your signature, Q. I like it a lot and agree with it fully.

The decision to live such a long distance is a huge one, no matter what stage in life you are; young, couple, small children, middle age. I have always lived away from my family, so although we are close, it would come as no surprise for me to return to the US. The hardest part is the events that happen in your absence and dealing with that, like illness and death (my parents are elderly), or your own children not moving with you. I suppose it's a matter of weighing up what you think will give you life happiness as well. There is no perfect solution and you will miss them, some days more than others. The key is contact (skype is wonderful!), planning to visit when you can, and encouraging folks to visit you. As Abbie just said, be busy, lead a full life in the US and make friends as well. A good friend of mine said "you can either move to where you know you will find what makes you happy, or you can stay and wait for others to need you on their time - but you will just spend it sitting and waiting". My children are grown, so they are not moving with me, and that's a huge challenge for me as they enter the time of their lives where they will eventually marry and have children; but, they know me, they want only for me to enjoy life, and.....they want somewhere to come holiday in California too :)

As I said, it's a huge decision - you have to look at it very realistically and know that with the adventure and excitement of being overseas will come tears, homesickness and regret.

Q

The decision to live such a long distance is a huge one, no matter what stage in life you are; young, couple, small children, middle age. I have always lived away from my family, so although we are close, it would come as no surprise for me to return to the US. The hardest part is the events that happen in your absence and dealing with that, like illness and death (my parents are elderly), or your own children not moving with you. I suppose it's a matter of weighing up what you think will give you life happiness as well. There is no perfect solution and you will miss them, some days more than others. The key is contact (skype is wonderful!), planning to visit when you can, and encouraging folks to visit you. As Abbie just said, be busy, lead a full life in the US and make friends as well. A good friend of mine said "you can either move to where you know you will find what makes you happy, or you can stay and wait for others to need you on their time - but you will just spend it sitting and waiting". My children are grown, so they are not moving with me, and that's a huge challenge for me as they enter the time of their lives where they will eventually marry and have children; but, they know me, they want only for me to enjoy life, and.....they want somewhere to come holiday in California too :)

As I said, it's a huge decision - you have to look at it very realistically and know that with the adventure and excitement of being overseas will come tears, homesickness and regret.

Q

Exactly! I often feel bad at the thought of leaving because my family left Europe to come to Australia for a better life, and I feel like I'll be spitting in their faces by leaving. But there came a time when I realised that if given that opportunity, I need to take it. If things don't work out, can always move back. It shouldn't be hard to make friends in USA when living there, considering I made friends when I was there for a holiday for 3 weeks!

Hey forum :)

I linked this on the Aussie forum so I will put it here too. Many of you have probably seen it, but if not, I'm sure you will like it.

This video is played at the American consulate in Australia while you wait for your visas. I believe it is also played in some American airports.

Anyway, it is an official US government "Welcome to America" video with images and music.

And I think it's very cool :) I thought it might ease your nerves as May 1 gets closer

Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWQzvhE5enw

The ideal scenario will be that everyone of us wins... but unlikely so i hope I win & best luck to you all

@Schoolboy, i just added u to my Yahoo chat. Hope to chat with u later. My number is 08027207049. Cheers!

Yeah man,i have your phone # now and i too added you on my messenger if you had seen it accept my add?I will arrange for conversation later just like @Royaltunde a member of DV2012 forumite and he's still on DV2013 used to talk on phone.He reside in Ikorodu after moving out from Egbeda last October.

Welcome on board dv 2013 forumites

Helllo,happy weekend ovicity and schoolboy thanks so much for your kind gestures,infacts thanks so much for your constant phone calls i really appreciates you guys you are doing a great job,bravo. However i have begin to catch fever against that main day may1st i believe it an holiday and celebration day for us anyway you guys should keep champgne ahead for may1st i believe its time for us celebrate our visas accordingly please encourage others to come on board just 14 days to go lets prejuice and discuss relevant issues regard our chances of winning ,lets hope for the best and prayer can change all things.

Helllo,happy weekend ovicity and schoolboy thanks so much for your kind gestures,infacts thanks so much for your constant phone calls i really appreciates you guys you are doing a great job,bravo. However i have begin to catch fever against that main day may1st i believe it an holiday and celebration day for us anyway you guys should keep champgne ahead for may1st i believe its time for us celebrate our visas accordingly please encourage others to come on board just 14 days to go lets prejuice and discuss relevant issues regard our chances of winning ,lets hope for the best and prayer can change all things.

@Royaltunde,you are highly welcome back on board?men am so happy you guys are coming back cos many new DV2013 applicants in the house would not know of you in DV2012.Well its good to have you back on forum after a long while of you,although i know we use to talk on phone but glad to have you here.

Hi Verdite and others,

Thanks for mentioning me. However, I've been on the 'down low' in the past few weeks. I really do not feel optimistic about May 1st as I feel it's going to be the same results: "You have not been selected for further processing" blah, blah, blah. This year, little over 1,700 persons signed up for DV-2013 from my country. Can you imagine 'hoping' that the computer selects your name out of this number? (extremely slim chances). However, only 15 persons were selected in DV-2012 from my country. Better yet, I've already have plan B in place if I still want to move to the USA in the next two years (son will be naturalized). So my hopes for May 1st is: "whatever happens". But again, my optimism has decreased drastically this year. Chances are just too small! :)

It's also amazing to see how time is flying by so fast! Before you know it, it will be time to sign up for DV-2014 (if necessary)

In my footer here there is a link to a forum about the lottery. Under "General Discussions" -> "Chance of winning for your country" there is info about calculating the chance of winning.

But your right...15 out of 1700 is not much that's about a 0.89% chance of winning, on the page it is calculated that Monaco has a 4.5% chance of winning, maybe we should move to another country :)

I started thinking about how long time DV-2013 can take and I wrote a bit about it on my forum.
Do you guys realize that it may take up 2 years and 7 months from preparing to submit you entry, to you actually end up standing on U.S. soil ready for your new life :confused:
Many things my change during this period.

Good luck to everyone.

COME MAY FIRST U WILL SMILE FOR GOOD, IJN AMEN. GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS IN ADVANCE.:cool: