• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

in Minnesota still waiting for my SSN and GC. Life in the house isnt the best esp with a host who isnt even a relative. Some peoples homes have stiff rules ....mine, NO SUPPER/DINNER. Hunger is really killing me. When will I move out of this damn place!!

While I understand the culture shock and other changes you're probably experiencing since your arrival, statements such as the one highlighted above portray you as an ungrateful person IMO. It's one of the reasons some people are reluctant to host others or to help in anyway. You host, whatever his/her shortcomings at the moment has probably been of more help to you during this your DV journey. As a matter of fact, if all the person has done is to provide you with a roof over your head and an address to receive your documents, the person deserves to be commended. Referring to the person's place as some "damn place" is not nice, and I don't think you're tied down there anyway.

While I understand the culture shock and other changes you're probably experiencing since your arrival, statements such as the one highlighted above portray you as an ungrateful person IMO. It's one of the reasons some people are reluctant to host others or to help in anyway. You host, whatever his/her shortcomings at the moment has probably been of more help to you during this your DV journey. As a matter of fact, if all the person has done is to provide you with a roof over your head and an address to receive your documents, the person deserves to be commended. Referring to the person's place as some "damn place" is not nice, and I don't think you're tied down there anyway.

Yeap....Sm1smom...preach it my friend...say it without fear or favour

just a question or a loud thought

in Minnesota still waiting for my SSN and GC. Life in the house isnt the best esp with a host who isnt even a relative. Some peoples homes have stiff rules ....mine, NO SUPPER/DINNER. Hunger is really killing me. When will I move out of this damn place!!

can one apply for food stamps

culture shock

and speaking of culture shock, is anyone as surprised as me that everything is sweet including minji (peas), corn, etc and does anyone also feel like you have to learn to cross the road all over again? or is it just me
nite guys

and speaking of culture shock, is anyone as surprised as me that everything is sweet including minji (peas), corn, etc and does anyone also feel like you have to learn to cross the road all over again? or is it just me
nite guys

Hehe!!Good observation.

nite guys

hahaha lol you just the one..

Dear, you can cook your Supper and help your host. That is why we have said in this forum to participate in the host house in one way or the other.Buy the food and cook.

Oh Enoo dear I think its bad what yo going through. I think once you take someone into your house then you really ha be nothing else to lose, Like how do u eat alone when there's someone else in the house starving? Do u ever enjoy such a meal? Anyways, I hope you have some money to pay for your meals. Stay well people.

Kcse grade

Hey guys, I just want to thank all the 2013 members for their honest contributions that continued to provide answers to most questions. Most importantly, my best wishes goes out to all those that were able to obtain visas and are on their way to u.s.a. For those who were not lucky, they should not despair, l want you too know that GOD has better plans for all of us. In retrospect, I recall how the grade C thing would generate a heated debate with all members giving their divergent views. In addition, the contributions of makiki,Dubai b, misses amongst others will always remind me of Kenyans who were ready to lend a hand when needed. Lastly, i wish to remind the 2014 members that the kcse grade has been lowered from C to D-, this shows that you are the luckiest lot compared to 2013 members. Word of advice, just be honest and present your original documents, don't try to cut corners.

Trying to settle down in Minnesota. I already got my SSN. I also passed knowledge test to get Instruction permit for driving (permit comes in 3 weeks). Question: can I use my passport and SSN to look for a job or I must have either ID/Permit?driving licence for identification? Which are the most common and available jobs? where in Minnesota?

You do not need a State issued ID/DL/Permit to work. You already have your SSN, that's all you need. You passport can also be used for identification purpose when required to show an ID.

I'm sure there are all sorts of jobs available in MN. You should begin by doing a personal assessment, what skills do you have, what are you qualified to do, what are you interested in doing? You have internet access, so get online and start looking at different job sites, prepare a Resume (if you haven't prepared one already) and tweak it to match different job postings you could possibly be interested in.

An an immigrant, you need to be highly resourceful in other to succeed in the US. Immigrants hoping to find people who will take them by the hand and lead them through life usually end up being frustrated and highly disappointed.

Trying to settle down in Minnesota. I already got my SSN. I also passed knowledge test to get Instruction permit for driving (permit comes in 3 weeks). Question: can I use my passport and SSN to look for a job or I must have either ID/Permit?driving licence for identification? Which are the most common and available jobs? where in Minnesota?

I totally agree with Sm1smom.

Hi enoo
i also got my SSN the second week now waiting for the GC. I'm now 3weeks and 4days old here. you mean you went for the knowledge test without the GC? what identification documents did you give them?

Hi Sm1smom
does this apply to all the states coz my host tells me i have to wait for my GC and DL

You do not need a State issued ID/DL/Permit to work. You already have your SSN, that's all you need. You passport can also be used for identification purpose when required to show an ID.

I'm sure there are all sorts of jobs available in MN. You should begin by doing a personal assessment, what skills do you have, what are you qualified to do, what are you interested in doing? You have internet access, so get online and start looking at different job sites, prepare a Resume (if you haven't prepared one already) and tweak it to match different job postings you could possibly be interested in.

An an immigrant, you need to be highly resourceful in other to succeed in the US. Immigrants hoping to find people who will take them by the hand and lead them through life usually end up being frustrated and highly disappointed.

ha ha i agree with you on that part of crossing the road. About food, ugali n sukuma kama kawaida, kuku ni ileile broiler ya kenchik ngwaci na nduma kwa mall. niko home away from home.

nite guys

HI/Praise God
Sorry guys i have been up and down but am blessed. Guys dint I caution you to pray for your Host and bless them. When time comes for you to move out appreciate them. Prayers move mountains. All the best guys as you come to terms to the new environment, all you need is to humble yourself and appreciate all that you go through,it builds you so that you become aggressive. Its not easy but when God is with you who can come against you. Enoo take heart,its called fasting in fact its a good time to pray for god to open doors for your, thank God you are single:p

Enoo
Look for an employment agencies(e,g Manpower,e.t.c) near your home area there are job vacancies there, unlike intern-ate where they force you to fill the area for you to join collage :mad:

Paying House rent
Here people have no choice in some areas people share coz rent is expensive,so guys embrace sharing if you are not used to that but jobs are there.

Hi Sm1smom
does this apply to all the states coz my host tells me i have to wait for my GC and DL

There is no harm in visiting all those relevant offices to gather info. You might be surprised with what you learn. I did most of my things through research and visiting those offices. Our host was shocked with how much we did in a week. My opinion is, probably the host did what your asking years ago and in US things change day and night.