• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Host stories never cease to amaze me!
QUOTE=enoo;2658061]in Minnesota still waiting for my SSN and GC. Life in the house isnt the best esp with a host who isnt even a relative. Some peoples homes have stiff rules ....mine, NO SUPPER/DINNER. Hunger is really killing me. When will I move out of this damn place!!
[/QUOTE] Pole sana Enoo. Just look at it from a positive perspective. This is an opportunity for you to look for jobs every where. Today you are crying but tomorrow you will have the last laugh. Do not despair. Those are temporary hiccups in life but you will overcome them soon.

can one apply for food stamps

When a DV visa is issued, it is with the understanding that the immigrant with the new LPR status is not likely to become a public charge. Applying for food stamps when you do not qualify to apply or receive could be interpreted as being a public charge, even though receiving food stamps (when qualified to do so) does not constitute being a public charge.

Not LPRs qualify to apply for food stamps. Read the manual closely, it states:

Some low-income immigrants and immigrant children may be eligible for food stamp assistance, depending on
their immigration status, length of time in the U.S, and income.

"Qualified" legal immigrants who can apply for and receive food stamps right away include:
  • Children under 18
  • Persons who have lived in the US for five years or more as a "qualified" immigrant
  • Refugees, Asylees, Cuban/Haitian Entrants, Amerasian Immigrants, those Granted Withholding of Deportation
  • Those receiving certain disability benefits
  • Seniors who were born before August 22, 1931 and who were lawfully residing in the US on August 22, 1996
  • Veterans or those serving in the U.S. military and their immediate family members
    [*]Lawful Permanent Residents with 40 quarters (10 years) of work or more (this may include parents' and spouse's work history)
  • Victims of trafficking
  • Certain members of Hmong or Laotian tribes and certain American Indians born abroad

Bottom line, as a new LPR, you do not qualify to apply for or receive food stamps. Go through the following link for more information regarding the food stamps program:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10101.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
When a DV visa is issued, it is with the understanding that the immigrant with the new LPR status is not likely to become a public charge. Applying for food stamps when you do not qualify to apply or receive could be interpreted as being a public charge, even though receiving food stamps (when qualified to do so) does not constitute being a public charge.

"Qualified" legal immigrants who can apply for and receive food stamps right away include:
  • Children under 18
  • Persons who have lived in the US for five years or more as a "qualified" immigrant
  • Refugees, Asylees, Cuban/Haitian Entrants, Amerasian Immigrants, those Granted Withholding of Deportation
  • Those receiving certain disability benefits
  • Seniors who were born before August 22, 1931 and who were lawfully residing in the US on August 22, 1996
  • Veterans or those serving in the U.S. military and their immediate family members
    [*]Lawful Permanent Residents with 40 quarters (10 years) of work or more (this may include parents' and spouse's work history)
  • Victims of trafficking
  • Certain members of Hmong or Laotian tribes and certain American Indians born abroad

Bottom line, as a new LPR, you do not qualify to apply for or receive food stamps. Go through the following link for more information regarding the food stamps program:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10101.pdf
Ops thank God you went through it:p

Philippians 4:19

19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus:)

wakenyaaa majirani yangu.

Guys how are you doing? I am from TZ. TUOMBEANE TUFANIKIWE KATIKA HII SAFARI YA AMERIKA. GOD LOVES US ALL.
yeah nick i totally agree my siz,anyway how are you doing hp things are great for you and your family ,take care siz

children of God
On your own, you will never discover the will of God for your life. God will have to lead you by His Spirit for you to begin to make the kinds of decisions that would eventually lead you into His will for your life. That’s why it’s so important to be obedient to God. Take time to pray even if its fifteen minutes have faith when you pray,i know Jehova our mighty God shall hear our prayers. Dont forget to thank him in every situation.Brush away -ve thinking always have +ve ones and you shall posses the land:)

yeah nick i totally agree my siz,anyway how are you doing hp things are great for you and your family ,take care siz

Hi my dear hope you are fine. Things are fine but at the beginning one has to take heart and persevere. If you have a good host he/she will lead you to a new start and be patient with you. so prayers do work and being humble will take you places. All the best who are on their way may God be with you, he will never leave you or forsake you.

In John 14:13-14
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do,that the Father may be glorified in the Son.If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

nick am doing great over here i really agree with you that we of DV 2014 we must learn from the previous thread and also pray for our host its really an eye opener God bless you dear and keep up with the spirit ,take care
Hi my dear hope you are fine. Things are fine but at the beginning one has to take heart and persevere. If you have a good host he/she will lead you to a new start and be patient with you. so prayers do work and being humble will take you places. All the best who are on their way may God be with you, he will never leave you or forsake you.

A word of appreciation to @ Nickelly, so tireless in taking time out in busy america to still give us advice and clarifications on so many things, God bless you and may He continue to make you tireless in helping the rest of us, and may HE also give more people the passion to care and share Amen!!

Thanks
This was very helpful.

Yes, this applies to all the States. You do not need to wait for the physical GC before searching or applying for jobs. You're all set and good to go once you have your SSN, that is what a potential employer will use to carry out E-Verification before offering you a job. If you don't want to use your passport as a form of photo ID, walk into the nearest DMV office and apply for a State-issued ID right away.

hi Enoo
We are together in this. Let's wait patiently for the GC who knows we might get the Citizenship that's why they are delaying.
I'm just being Optimistic.

My USCIS online accnt says "STATUS DETAILS
Your application/petition has been accepted and is pending review. " what does that mean?