• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Life after winning the Green Card Lesson 101
Thought i would provide information to help as you move to the US.
Brief History about self- Came to the US in 1999 as F-1 student. Received my bachelors in business Adminstration (Finance and Accounting) in 2004. Received MBA in 2008.
In this post will address planning for immigrating and settling during the first 3 months.
Finances
1. For those with properties in Kenya DO NOT DISPOSE OF THEM TO finance your move. It is best to save and have enough to cover your tickets and upkeep for the first 2 months. IF you have a good host you will not need to pay or buy anything during the first 3 months till you get a job. Example if you own a house, rent it rather than sell it.
2. Do not travel with lots of hard cash. You can always open a USD bank account at banks such as Standard Chartered while in Kenya, which will allow you withdraw USD in US ATM's.
3. Exchange the cash you want to travel with while in Kenya. Exchanging KSh to USD in US banks will lead to foreign exchange losses. Banks generally do not give the best exchange rates, FX bureas may have better rates.
4. Once you get to the US and have received your Green Card,Identity card and SSN, open a bank account with one of the major banks e.g Chase or Bank of America. This is because they have ATMS in most towns and will not be charged to withdraw cash as is the case with banks with limited branch networks.
For those with families, it might make sense to have the primary travel first to the U.S Get settled and get a job and have the family join you, provided they do so before their visa expires. This will give you flexibility to come, hustle and get situated. Tickets for large families can be expensive, you may also have school going children. Remember US school calendar runs from September to May. Many hosts will prefer this option. You can then settle down and safely move to an apartment get some basics in preparation for your family.
Living with Hosts
1. Please help with the cooking and cleaning. Not helping will be the quickest way for your host to start dropping hints that you need to move. Remember that your host works and if after a long day of work they come and have to start cooking for you and your family, there will be some friction.
2. Offer to buy some groceries for your host. This can be done within first month. This is just but a goodwill token.
3. If your host goes to church and you were not a regular at home you might have to get with the program and accompany them.

Networking
1. If you are in a town with many kenyans, get to know them. Get their tel numbers. They can come in handy when you need rides to go to jobo or to the drivers license office to get your drivers license. They will also provide info on the jobs that you can start on while getting familair with the town. They may offer tips on courses you can take e.g nursing. There are certain jobs that are in high demand and you will always be employed.
2. If there are no kenyans in your town, hit up your friends in other states or towns. They can give you survival tips.
3. Some large towns like Minneapolis,Atlanta, Dallas have kenyan churches where you can meet other kenyans. There are also kenyan functions where you can socialize with kenyans.
4. Register with the Kenyan Embassy in D.C. They want to know you are in the U.S. They also have contacts of kenyans in your locality who they can put you in contact with and might be willing to help you get situated.

In next post will provide infor on getting drivers license or State ID, employment.

To be continued.....
For guys who are on there way to the land of Milk and Honey:p

good news! thank you!
Dear EKAITE, This email is to inform you that a document has been submitted to the courier by the U.S. consular section for return to you. On average, it takes one to two business days for the package to be available. The document is being sent via the courier option you selected at registration. The air waybill tracking number for the package is 1234567890. You will need this number to receive your document. For additional information on the current tracking status of the document, the delivery location, or for a list of identification required to receive the document, please log into our website at http://usvisa-info.com. Please remember that you must use your passport number, date of birth, and nationality to log into the system. For your reference, the passport number we have on file is: A1XXXXXX. Your documents will be available for pick-up at XXXXXXX 00200 Note: Documents not retrieved within 20-30 days (depending on country) will be returned to the Embassy/ Consular Section. For documents belonging to minors, parents must bring a copy of the birth certificate. If the person collecting the document is not a parent, you will need a notarized power of attorney and a photocopy of the ID of legal representative issuing the letter. Changes made to the courier location after this notification, will not be processed. Sincerely, The Visa Information Service

Guys Going for Medical do u remember this:p

Wah, I can remember this; its does not sound too good. Mwanzo, for me I really react to vaccinations (hyper immunity) so clealry...all the same as you said I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH so lets just say even this is among the ALL THING :cool::p

On a lighter mood for the week.

Here's a telephone conversation between a man in hurricane-ravaged New York and his friend in Lagos:

Lagos: I hope u guys are safe?

NY: Man all hell is breaking loose out here!

Lagos: What's going on?
NY: There is flooding everywhere

Lagos: Big deal we're used to that!

NY: People are dying man!

Lagos: We're used to that too!

NY: Look man the power's out we're in darkness!

Lagos: Welcome to our world!

NY: People can't get around, no public transport
Lagos: We too.

NY: The phone lines are out, I'm having to use my mobile
Lagos: Me too!

NY: The police and Emergency services are overwhelmed, we don't feel safe from criminals taking advantage of the situation!

Lagos: Neither do we!

NY: Hey man, did Hurricane Sandy hit u guys too:confused:

Lagos: it has been hitting us since Independence day in 1960. When did yours start ? :confused:

http://www.nairaland.com/927190/dv-2013-winners-meet-here/192

God bless America.
God bless Nigeria
Makiki Makiki do you remeber this.......................:p

When You Have Your Diversity Immigrant Visa – What You Should Know

If you are issued a diversity immigrant visa, the consular officer will give you your passport containing the immigrant visa and a sealed packet containing the documents which you provided. It is important that you do not open the sealed packet. Only the U.S. immigration official should open this packet when you enter the United States. You are required to enter the United States before the expiration date printed on your visa. When traveling, the primary (or principal) applicant must enter the United States before or at the same time as family members holding visas.

If you receive your immigrant visa on or after February 1, 2013, you must pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after you receive your immigrant visa and before you travel to the United States. Select USCIS Immigrant Fee on the USCIS website for more information.

Important Notice: USCIS will not issue a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551 or Green Card) until you have paid the fee.
Remember this Makiki:p

Thanks Mzee wetu for such encouraging words. We are happy with you for your success. Go with God

Really, wahenga walisema hivyo? Well, its true we need patience but I will not lie to you its not easy being so patient over something that will change your destiny forever. Lots anxiety but the grace of the Lord will be sufficient.

Karendi niaje sasa unasemaje sasa He!He!

Makiki Makiki do you remember this.......................:p
hahahahahaha dem days. I never thought my time will be here lol! By the way the injections are painful but not really ni kidogo. Was surprised my dota never complained of any pain at all. Alafu blood its kidogo, urine and also poop kidogo. I miss those days when we were so anxious i could wake up and the first thing was visiting ni forum.com anyway all will be well by the grace of God.

Was surprised at the Embassy i saw like 4 people carrying the XRay envelopes then asked my hubby did we hear the doctor well, how come people are carrying their XRays here? Then i made my way to one of them asked him "are you here for the DV Lottery interview?" he said "No, am here for the grinicadi interview." the accent wasnt Kenyan and he seemed so ignorant so a i left him and found my way to aka lady of my size then she told me she is from Burundi and she did her medical in Nairobi stayed for the interview that is why she is carrying her envelope, even a young man from Ethiopia had his envelope with him. Some jamaa a young one with jist ana dready kiasi got a red card i felt for him coz all that time its the CO who was speaking lakini him alikua mute doo doo!!

Last edited by a moderator:
hahahahahaha dem days. I never thought my time will be here lol! By the way the injections are painful but not really ni kidogo. Was surprised my dota never complained of any pain at all. Alafu blood its kidogo, urine and also poop kidogo. I miss those days when we were so anxious i could wake up and the first thing was visiting ni forum.com anyway all will be well by the grace of God.

Was surprised at the Embassy i saw like 4 people carrying the XRay envelopes then asked my hubby did we hear the doctor well, how come people are carrying their XRays here? Then i made my way to one of them asked him "are you here for the DV Lottery interview?" he said "No, am here for the grinicadi interview." the accent wasnt Kenyan and he seemed so ignorant so a i left him and found my way to aka lady of my size then she told me she is from Burundi and she did her medical in Nairobi stayed for the interview that is why she is carrying her envelope, even a young man from Ethiopia had his envelope with him. Some jamaa a young one with jist ana dready kiasi got a red card i felt for him coz all that time its the CO who was speaking lakini him alikua mute doo doo!!

Eh guys beware dnt behave like 'watu wa ku come'(ushago):p

What If
What If, and am not saying am a prophet of doom that History repeats its self(violence) are likely to be affected:confused:

I promised to scan the KCSE requirement and post it here so kindly click on this link and read for your self.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hae comrades!!! you can now imagine the good news. I was at the Embassy today-6am to be precise and got the visa. I have a story to tell but will update it later. I should appreciate Makiki for some info she posted the day before yesterday that saved my very, very delicate case. Blessed be the Lord God Almighty who works miracles through our faith

Hae comrades!!! you can now imagine the good news. I was at the Embassy today-6am to be precise and got the visa. I have a story to tell but will update it later. I should appreciate Makiki for some info she posted the day before yesterday that saved my very, very delicate case. Blessed be the Lord God Almighty who works miracles through our faith

Glory to the most HIGH GOD. Congratulations to you Mashpol and welcome to the US of A. I am happy for you!!!!:D

Congrats all the best we cnt wait 2c ur intrvw

Congs man, good news all the way. I cant wait for the story. Good luck with everything.

Congrats!!God is good...we decree n declare this forum shall be full of success stories,we have read nairaland sucess stories for so long,i believe it is our time now...

Makiki youre one in a million,you helping so many guys who just read and never comment or joined the forum.God bless you n your family.

Its a new month,all those going for interviews this month n april, the angels have gone ahead of you..wish you all the very best.we can only put our trust in God alone