• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Hey good people,i got a question.......my final year in campus starts in July 2013 till May 2014 next year,my visa expires in Nov 2013 meaning i will not be able to go back to school in July..so do i defer for a whole year,come back in June next year n finish my course or do i have my transcripts evaluated by World Evaluation Services n continue with studies in U.S??? sema dilemma:D

I am telling you, from experience you will have to loose so many hours if you intend to transfer to the US school, if you feel the time will be too much get here and go back and finish your studies

Hey ladies n Gentlemen..its been a while ..am happy the forum is so much alive makiki na kuchekchek..well am winding up my stay in Kenya hopefully this weekend i will be on my way to ATL check in fly to Houston the back to ATL after a week..

How do i deal with Jetlagg..makiki and the ones who have left over to you..

Karendi!!!!!!!!!!!! lol wacha niwache:D

Please usinikumbushe, it was tiring. It can take five days to feel normal again after a long-haul flight. What with daytime sleepiness, nightly insomnia, loss of appetite, clouded thinking and poor co-ordination, this can seem like a long time. It's worse if you are sleep-deprived before you travel, cross more than four timezones, get dehydrated on the flight by drinking alcohol, juice or water as the body clock copes better with being asked to stay up longer.

Today's devotion

Arising to Shine

In Matthew 5:14-16 “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”

You are arising to shine. To “shine” means to be visible, to bloom. It means to come out of darkness, out of hiding and to be seen. Friend, I see you shinning in Jesus Mighty Name, Amen. Where many had left you, ignored you, overlooked you; trampled on you, all that is changing because He who makes people shine says “Arise, Shine”.
Amen, I will shine as well as my daughter. Please House Pray for my daughter we can still not process her passport becoz of mistaken ID which is taken time and interview is need.

Hey good people,i got a question.......my final year in campus starts in July 2013 till May 2014 next year,my visa expires in Nov 2013 meaning i will not be able to go back to school in July..so do i defer for a whole year,come back in June next year n finish my course or do i have my transcripts evaluated by World Evaluation Services n continue with studies in U.S??? sema dilemma:D

Dear, general certificates obtain here is not really consider over there, study in the US is best for now.

Please help me figure this out:
On my high school diploma i have got charles dickens as my name and on my international passport i got frank dickens. On my birth certificate i got charles frank dickens. My interview is on the 5th of august,i hope this will not be problem? I swore an affidavit saying that " i am one and the same person and all legal documents remain valid".
It,s Ok mine had issues with name but they didn't ask for the affidavit,but its good u have it just in case u get a different CO but that is not a big issue it shall be well with you.
When you come here it will be a big Issue this is what is happening to my Dota so we had to go with what the visa nad passport has and now we are not using all her names as in the birth certificate. So she has her middle name as her surname nkt. We paid an extra $250 to the Airline because the names appearing in her passport are not the ones in her ticket so try using the names in the passport until you get here and swear an affidavit meanwhile have one to present at the embassy though they might NOT ask the reason why you mixed up names

Ni Kama Ndrama Ni kama Nvindeo

So yesterday we were going to pick a state ID for my hubby and on our way my host decided that i drive, this was my forth day driving a car hehehehe so there i was trying my best and on the highway reaching at some turning point with so many cars and lights i struggled to bend the corner and get on ahead but what do i see a police car hahahaha so this police man sees how wreck-less i was and followed us right behind me he put the lights on like we see it in the movie. My hubby says stop instead of me breaking i accelerated ooops what have i done then i break and stop.

Policeman "Ma'am what's the matter?"
Me "I just took over from her coz she felt a sharp pain in her stomach on our way and i dont know how to drive so am taking her to see a doctor"
Policeman "Hold on let me call an ambulance"

so he call an ambulance for the sick person. In less than 5 minutes an ambulance was there followed by a fire vehicle with around 6 white men. The ambulance parked right ahead of us and the fire one behind us just incase something happens. The men from those two vehicles hurry up, remove there shoes and put on overalls and gloves. One heads toward our car and opens it sees everything is ok. I got out of the driving seat, another tells us that he is going to drive the car and park it right at the gas station and they check on our patient, so i say yes he drives there and all other vehicles drive there and park. Another gentleman asks if the 'supposed to be' patient can be able to walk to the ambulance she says yes. They took her in the ambulance and start a thorough check up on her. All this time the policeman parked behind the fire vehicle NOT interrupting them nor asking us questions.

They get everything done, they made sure she is ok and get her out of the ambulance. They tell us to rest abit before she drives or call someone who can be able to drive so as he drives us home then they left us.

Policeman "Next time dont drive if dont have a driving licence otherwise you'll be in jail"
Me "Yes Sir"
Policeman "Ma'am why didnt you allow them to take you to the hospital"
My Host "I dont want any bills, am ok"
Policeman "so you prefer paying for a wrecked car"
My host "No Sir"
Policeman "Ok goodbye and please take care"
Us "Byee, Thank you"

Yaani ni kama Nvindeo it was so sincere and very polite, caring of them to take care of us na tulikua tumedanganya. Americans really love their work and they value people's health. Tulishangaa sana. So am trying to get a learners driving permit ndio i go back to the road otherwise wametukatishia sana.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. I had a good laugh reading about your experience, Makiki. YOu certainly had a lucky escape. Your host though should have ensured you atleast had your learner's permit before encouraging you to drive. No doubt, most of you are used to driving already, but driving in the US is not the same as driving back at home. Being a newly landed immigrant, you don't want to end up starting on the wrong side of the law.

Good luck as you continue to settle down.

You are better off coming in briefly to activate your GC and then going back to complete your studies. Doing things like that might sound a bit expensive to you now, but it's your best option. Transferring and finishing in the US from a non-US school is not as easy it may sound, especially when you only have one year of study left - transferring will cost you more in terms of money and time. It's a different ball game if you're simply in your 1st year of study back at home.

My interview today was a success

Got there at 0700hrs, had to wait in that cold till 0730hrs coz my interview was scheduled for 0800hrs.

First security check, then the second and left my few valuables there...
Got a number, waited... Called to window 4 for my documents. Went back and waited again... Called to window 8 for finger prints. (After this i decided to stay and wait inside coz i couldn't stay outside with that cold)

Called to window 10 for my interview...
Was asked to swear that the information i've given is true. I did. Then signed
Was asked what i did after form 4, i answered.
What i'm doing now, I answered.
My relationship with my host, I answered.
Then she announced that she'll give me the visa and gave me the DHL paper and USCIS papers.

And that was all my dear sisters and brothers! After a year and two months of waiting, everything was over in less than two minutes.

Wish all you who are yet to go for your interviews all the best. Declare that you'll get the visa, and you will!

Congratulations!!! Such a nice and easy interview:eek:

Got there at 0700hrs, had to wait in that cold till 0730hrs coz my interview was scheduled for 0800hrs.

Got a number, waited... Called to window 4 for my documents. Went back and waited again... Called to window 8 for finger prints. (After this i decided to stay and wait inside coz i couldn't stay outside with that cold)

Then she announced that she'll give me the visa and gave me the DHL paper and USCIS papers.

And that was all my dear sisters and brothers! After a year and two months of waiting, everything was over in less than two minutes.

Wish all you who are yet to go for your interviews all the best. Declare that you'll get the visa, and you will!

Congratulations to you Eva

Waw!! That was a narrow escape dear but nimecheka yangu yote.Sema brains

So yesterday we were going to pick a state ID for my hubby and on our way my host decided that i drive, this was my forth day driving a car hehehehe so there i was trying my best and on the highway reaching at some turning point with so many cars and lights i struggled to bend the corner and get on ahead but what do i see a police car hahahaha so this police man sees how wreck-less i was and followed us right behind me he put the lights on like we see it in the movie. My hubby says stop instead of me breaking i accelerated ooops what have i done then i break and stop.

Me "I just took over from her coz she felt a sharp pain in her stomach on our way and i dont know how to drive so am taking her to see a doctor"

so he call an ambulance for the sick person. In less than 5 minutes an ambulance was there followed by a fire vehicle with around 6 white men. The ambulance parked right ahead of us and the fire one behind us just incase something happens. The men from those two vehicles hurry up, remove there shoes and put on overalls and gloves. One heads toward our car and opens it sees everything is ok. I got out of the driving seat, another tells us that he is going to drive the car and park it right at the gas station and they check on our patient, so i say yes he drives there and all other vehicles drive there and park. Another gentleman asks if the 'supposed to be' patient can be able to walk to the ambulance she says yes. They took her in the ambulance and start a thorough check up on her. All this time the policeman parked behind the fire vehicle NOT interrupting them nor asking us questions.

They get everything done, they made sure she is ok and get her out of the ambulance. They tell us to rest abit before she drives or call someone who can be able to drive so as he drives us home then they left us.

Policeman "Next time dont drive if dont have a driving licence otherwise you'll be in jail"
Me "Yes Sir"
My host "No Sir"
Us "Byee, Thank you"

Yaani ni kama Nvindeo it was so sincere and very polite, caring of them to take care of us na tulikua tumedanganya. Americans really love their work and they value people's health. Tulishangaa sana. So am trying to get a learners driving permit ndio i go back to the road otherwise wametukatishia sana.

Congratulations karimiEva
You

Don't you think its better that you study abroad,they have the best universities there,my two cents:(

hey guys im a 2014 winner in kenya. luckily have had experience since i got my degree in. the USA and had transfer of grades from AUssie n SWitzerland universities. what i experienced is that i lost alot of class credits by moving from university to another n even moving from college to another while in USA. i would tend to imagine you will loose more credits. by wanting to transfer credits to a college in usa from kenya coz they wont recognize alot n u wuld be forced to go backwards or test out of some classes to prove u can move forward. if it were me out of experience i would complete the degree. then apply for re-entry as one suggested then once done do the GMAT a required by them n continue with masters as a permanent resident. or sacrifice n go back two years after loosing credits n get degree from a usa college which is marketable atleast you wont be paying international student fees which is expe coz ull be a resident.... but u decide or u can ask for advice once u get ur greencard while u there n weigh how much ull gain or loose...my very 2 cents advice though

Don't you think its better that you study abroad,they have the best universities there,my two cents:(

hey guys im a 2014 winner in kenya. luckily have had experience since i got my degree in. the USA and had transfer of grades from AUssie n SWitzerland universities. what i experienced is that i lost alot of class credits by moving from university to another n even moving from college to another while in USA. i would tend to imagine you will loose more credits. by wanting to transfer credits to a college in usa from kenya coz they wont recognize alot n u wuld be forced to go backwards or test out of some classes to prove u can move forward. if it were me out of experience i would complete the degree. then apply for re-entry as one suggested then once done do the GMAT a required by them n continue with masters as a permanent resident. or sacrifice n go back two years after loosing credits n get degree from a usa college which is marketable atleast you wont be paying international student fees which is expe coz ull be a resident.... but u decide or u can ask for advice once u get ur greencard while u there n weigh how much ull gain or loose...my very 2 cents advice though

Me "Yes Sir"
My host "No Sir"
Us "Byee, Thank you"

That was very courageous and dangeous, never do that again, we need your and will not want anything to happen to u

Please help me figure this out:
On my high school diploma i have got charles dickens as my name and on my international passport i got frank dickens. On my birth certificate i got charles frank dickens. My interview is on the 5th of august,i hope this will not be problem? I swore an affidavit saying that " i am one and the same person and all legal documents remain valid".

Hi,

If you have an affidavit i guess all is fine....

Me "Yes Sir"
My host "No Sir"
Us "Byee, Thank you"

Makiki you're too special....hahaha!!! pole though, i'm sure that was an experience, those police lights can blind you especially at night....