• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Is it normal that IO says"I need to get your files from KCC" at interview date??It takes some day for sure! what if we are in last days? should they ask for documents from KCC before interview or after that??

Last edited by a moderator:
The officer told me that it is normal and happened a lot but I didn't read about other users with the same experience.
I guess there is not much I can do at this point except wait.

Is it normal that IO says"I need to get your files from KCC" at interview date??It takes some day for sure! what if we are in last days? should they ask for documents from KCC before interview or after that??

Oh wow! Ok, this is quite unusual , but hey, who cares at this stage? Your IO must really care about your case in particular, I would say he's heaven sent.

Congratulations (yeah, not too early to say that). Keep checking your case online, it should change to CPO by the end of today, or in a couple of days time. Showing "Decision" is a good thing, it means the IO has decided, and most likely, the decision is to approve the case. So here's also a glass of champagne in your honor :p - (probably too early in the day to get drunk)

I know i think IO was really nice :) and i think all this wouldnt ve been possible without you guys. A very very special thanks goes to you 'Sm1smom' (you were always there with consistent help). Once again thanks a lot everyone :). Lets get drunk ..cheers !! :)

Dear Sm1smom,
I just read instructions for I-864, only US citizens or permanent residents can complete and sign this form as a sponsor, so we cannot fill it as a visa holder. Am I right?

In one of my previous response to you (precisely my 2nd to the last response to you) I wrote that form I-864 is not applicable to DV based AOS, and that you should ignore it even if your IL requests for it.

Those who do not meet the financial requirement on their own are the ones who may need to show an affidavit of support and in this case an I-134 will have to be used in place of the I-864 form. Of course both forms cannot be filled by the applicants themselves, a US citizen or a LPR has to fill the form on their behalf.

Dear Sm1smom,
I just read instructions for I-864, only US citizens or permanent residents can complete and sign this form as a sponsor, so we cannot fill it as a visa holder. Am I right?

Interview experience in Philadelphia PA
My interview is coming up in a few days and the reviews I am coming up with by tourists concerning the 1600 callowhill street philadelphia pa 19130 office are not good. Rough inner city kind of place. Cars are scratched and so forth. Did any of you have interview at this office and if so did you drive ? Do you have any recommendations on parking and security? We will have 2 young kids with us. What about the officers, are they knowledgeable about dv lottery. We are coming from out of state and are not familiar with the area. Thanks !

Detail Version:
I am still shocked since the day i received call for the interview but it was true and i actually had an interview :). So, i did not have interview letter but i went to the FO just like the officer on the phone instructed. It was raining pretty bad and i got stuck in the traffic and i was 10 mins late to the appt. time (even though i had spared one hour extra). So, i got there and the guards did not check anything and they let me in without IL. So I went in and talked to the lady in Check-in counter and she could not help me out because i did not ve IL and i did not know the name of the officer who called me. I was nervous and it was 40 mins past. I did not know what to to. So i was waiting in the car trying to call USCIS and i luckily i got a call from the officer asking me where i was :) (very nice officer). I explained him the situation and officer was surprised because he left the interview letter to the guard at the gate but those guards just didnt care about that. So i went back in and asked them the letter and to my surprise, that guard actually tore off the letter and trashed it. I was like 'you gotta be kidding right' (but he was not :(). So the guard called the officer who was in charge of me and i went to him without IL. First, i apologized him for making him wait. He was nice and said that he took another person and was not a big deal. So he made me take an oath and asked basic questions regarding the application such as birth certificate and stuffs and that was it. Took 5-10 mins. He said they ve to review it and if all goes well, i should receive my GC in few weeks. I am still nervous since he said review :( .We will see.

Short Version:
Everything was fine. 5-10 mins and i was out. Just few basic questions regarding the application and status.

Tips for the people who are waiting for the IL:
- It is possible that you will get a call from USCIS officer (may not happen to all but you should be ready for that).
- If you receive a call, you should ask their name. This is really important because people in FO cannot help you if you dont have the name of the person who called you.

P.S.: I checked my status and it says 'Decision' . What does that mean? I am confused :confused:

wohooooooooooooooo!!!! :) congratz!!!
But what oath??

I Just had my interview. My field office was Houston, TX. I was at the location almost 1 hour ahead of time, To my surprise there was only other lady. After Security check in , I wait in lobby for about 5 minute. My IO took me to her room, asked for my ID, and few yes/NO question, also she asked for Adjustment letter from KCC and then told me to wait outside in lobby for 15 minutes. Overall my interview as just 4-5 minute.

After about 15 minutes she came and give me my passport +Approval notice, and told me I will receive my card in mail. :):):)

Thank you so much for all of you who have helped, especially sm1smom, it would not have been possible without you guys.

And don’t you think you will get rid of me. :p I still have some questions. My passport was stamped as ” temporary i-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year”.
What does it mean? What after 1 year, do I need to get it stamped again?
Also my passport will expire next year? So what do I need to do? Will it works even if I don’t have stamp on my new password?
Can someone please explain in detail how all these work?

Best of luck for all those who have been waiting

Congratulations on becoming 'green'John :)

The stamp on your passport is useful should you need to travel out of the US before you receive your GC in the mail, it's the proof of your new status as a LPR. Once you receive the GC itself, you don't need the stamp anymore.

I Just had my interview. My field office was Houston, TX. I was at the location almost 1 hour ahead of time, To my surprise there was only other lady. After Security check in , I wait in lobby for about 5 minute. My IO took me to her room, asked for my ID, and few yes/NO question, also she asked for Adjustment letter from KCC and then told me to wait outside in lobby for 15 minutes. Overall my interview as just 4-5 minute.

After about 15 minutes she came and give me my passport +Approval notice, and told me I will receive my card in mail. :):):)

Thank you so much for all of you who have helped, especially sm1smom, it would not have been possible without you guys.

And don’t you think you will get rid of me. :p I still have some questions. My passport was stamped as ” temporary i-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year”.
What does it mean? What after 1 year, do I need to get it stamped again?
Also my passport will expire next year? So what do I need to do? Will it works even if I don’t have stamp on my new password?
Can someone please explain in detail how all these work?

Best of luck for all those who have been waiting

Congrats everyone!!!

Seems like a lot of the members got the GREEN news ops gr8 news I mean. Congratulations to everyone and hope to see you guys back on the journey to become Citizens. Cheers!!

Thanks Melanie :)...well the oath wasnt anything special..it just that they make you raise your hand and ask you to admit that you ll tell the truth.

Tell us when the card arrives! :)

Ooh I see. I guess it makes the interviewer feel better to know we're speaking the truth (or to see suspicious behavior?)

"I, Princess Melanie of CupcakeLand, daughter of S1smom Queen of CupcakeLand, hereby declare honesty..and shall receive the magical card of green, with this I shall kill the dragon."

sorry..I'm getting nervous D: !!!!

Sm1smom, why do they give it for one year then?

Congratulations on becoming 'green'John :)

The stamp on your passport is useful should you need to travel out of the US before you receive your GC in the mail, it's the proof of your new status as a LPR. Once you receive the GC itself, you don't need the stamp anymore.

I-551, when stamped into one's passport is a temporary evidence of the passport holder's new LPR status. The validity could actually be anywhere between 3 months and one year. Why they give it a one year validity? I don't know. What I do know however is that your status as a LPR does NOT expire following the expiration date of the I-551. This stamp authorizes one to work in the United States as a Permanent Resident. It also allows you to enter the United States as a returning Resident if you travel abroad, before the receipt of the actual GC itself. It's important to note though, not all FOs stamp passports following a successful interview.

Thank you! I wonder why not all FO stamp passports as a result of a successful interview...

I-551, when stamped into one's passport is a temporary evidence of the passport holder's new LPR status. The validity could actually be anywhere between 3 months and one year. Why they give it a one year validity? I don't know. What I do know however is that your status as a LPR does NOT expire following the expiration date of the I-551. This stamp authorizes one to work in the United States as a Permanent Resident. It also allows you to enter the United States as a returning Resident if you travel abroad, before the receipt of the actual GC itself. It's important to note though, not all FOs stamp passports following a successful interview.

Tell us when the card arrives! :)

Ooh I see. I guess it makes the interviewer feel better to know we're speaking the truth (or to see suspicious behavior?)

"I, Princess Melanie of CupcakeLand, daughter of S1smom Queen of CupcakeLand, hereby declare honesty..and shall receive the magical card of green, with this I shall kill the dragon."

sorry..I'm getting nervous D: !!!!

I will :) ... Dont you worry, its really easy. Its like you go in and get out :) . Good luck !