• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Thank you very much Sm1smom. My wife is the main applicant and I signed as her interpreter at her I-485. She can handle the interview but as I sad she is not fluent. Can I or my son be her interpreter?
Thanks in advance. God bless you. Good luck to everybody who are doing AoS.

Sorry for the delayed response - didn't quite see this earlier :(

You or your son can serve as your wife's interpreter, you shouldn't need to hire or bring someone else along for that purpose. Plus, the questions are usually straight forward, no tricky question would be asked as at the time of the interview. Good luck!

Sm1

da 230

please HELP ME!!

FORM DS 230 - question 33

there are only 4 rows to fill but i've attended 5 schools:
- elementary school
- middle schoole
- high school
- bachelor degree
- master degree

what shall i do? i don't write elemntary school?

under "degree or diploma" for middle school shall i fill "N/A"?

THANKS

please HELP ME!!

FORM DS 230 - question 33

there are only 4 rows to fill but i've attended 5 schools:
- elementary school
- middle schoole
- high school
- bachelor degree
- master degree

what shall i do? i don't write elemntary school?

under "degree or diploma" for middle school shall i fill "N/A"?

THANKS

You can omit the elementary school. Most of us did not include it on our forms and we did not run into any issue at the time of our interviews.

Yes, you can use N/A for the "degree/diploma" section of middle school.

Use additional paper to include all schools. You could use a blank copy of the form for additional rows.

i've problem of place only for that answer. Does not it make confusion to inculde another form only for the elementary school?

Dear friends,
We went to FO today to follow up our case, the lady told us that your file is in transit to here and you will get interview letter shortly, when I asked her what you mean by shortly, she told me 30-45 days, she told if you do not get it within a month, come back again. I just want to know when they say 30-45 days, is it possible that we get it sooner? Is it good to make another infopass in two weeks and go again?
Thanks,

2013AS00009***
May 2012: wife selected
May 2013: current for July
June 2013: Medicals done, DV fees paid for 2 and got receipt in 10 days
6/29/13: AOS package sent to Chicago
7/1/13 : Delivery
7/10/13 :Text and Email
7/15/13 :NOA
7/15/13 :Bio letter for 8/7/13
7/16/13 :Bio done (Walk-in)
?? :Interview letter
?? :Approval

different sheets

How shall I keep together the different sheets of the forms?

and what about the pictures?
(i have to send pictures for me and my wife)

Friends,
We had our interview done yesterday. We got there before time and the interview lasted for ~25minutes for both of us.
After oath, the officer went thru the personal information and the yes/no questions in the I-485 form till the signature. No particular details, I told her that I had J1 visa before and that I obtained a letter from the DOS stating that i m not subject to the HRR requirement. She took the letter from me to make a photopcopy of it. and at the end she said that once the approval is made it will be ~ 2 weeks to receive the green card. and that the card allows us to enter US without VISA, etc...
She said she needs to review the application again after the interview. No further details on that ...
She asked us if we have any questions before we leave. We asked if we need a temporary stamp as we re planning to leave at the end of this week. She said you don't need to, you can use your Advance parole for entry, and to have our H1 approval with it, because we don't have the visas stamped on our passports, she said it should be fine.
My wife asked if she can have a letter or any proof for the status since she goes to college and we wish to get her tuition reduced before the start of the semester. She asked us to wait to get the green card hopefully before end on the next month and use it. We didn't want to push further after this.
One thing to notice is that we still didn't see any update on our application status. It s still in the acceptance box. I thought all the interviewees should get to the acceptance stage by end of the day of the interview.
Is this normal ? What do you suggest ?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

James82,

Congratulations so far on your interview. Because the IO still needed to review your file, she certainly couldn't have stamped your passports because so would mean she's approved the application. Same thing with issuing a letter to your wife, they can't do that if a decision hasn't been made. It's also the reason there's been no change on your status online. Just attending the interview alone doesn't necessarily trigger a status change online. But do keep your fingers crossed, my guess is the decision would be made pretty quickly and you will see the status changes online within the next couple of days.

If you do travel out before the decision is made though, I suggest you get your passports stamped with your H1/H4 visas and not reenter with AP. But again, you will hopefully have the status change before your trip, and if that happens, hope you realize you also shouldn't enter with your AP or H status. You will need to show the GC or have the I-551 stamp on your passports indicating your new LPR status.

James82,

Congratulations so far on your interview. Because the IO still needed to review your file, she certainly couldn't have stamped your passports because so would mean she's approved the application. Same thing with issuing a letter to your wife, they can't do that if a decision hasn't been made. It's also the reason there's been no change on your status online. Just attending the interview alone doesn't necessarily trigger a status change online. But do keep your fingers crossed, my guess is the decision would be made pretty quickly and you will see the status changes online within the next couple of days.

If you do travel out before the decision is made though, I suggest you get your passports stamped with your H1/H4 visas and not reenter with AP. But again, you will hopefully have the status change before your trip, and if that happens, hope you realize you also shouldn't enter with your AP or H status. You will need to show the GC or have the I-551 stamp on your passports indicating your new LPR status.

Thanks.
Would you please elaborate more on why you don't recommend on using the Adavance parole for reentry ? Assuming that a decision is made while I already left ...
Again, I asked her abt if I need a temporary stamp but she said I can use the AP along with the H1 approval .. ???

James!

Congratulations! You will surely be approved soon. However, if you travel abroad you must use your advance parole and the H-1B approval. You've gotten this document because you are in the process of obtaining a Permanent Residency status.

On another hand, the University won't accept any letters or I-797s as a proof of your obtaining your new immigration status. They only accept the real "Green Card" which they will photocopy and then release your wife from their OIP umbrella.

Pryanik :)

Thanks.
Would you please elaborate more on why you don't recommend on using the Adavance parole for reentry ? Assuming that a decision is made while I already left ...
Again, I asked her abt if I need a temporary stamp but she said I can use the AP along with the H1 approval .. ???

I missed the part about the IO saying it's ok to use the AP with the H1 approval. I guess you should be ok.

Thanks Pryanik for giving me some air .. I hope so too.
If it gets approved soon, I can't find a spot for an infopass appointmnet before I leave .. I don't know if they will accept me for a walk-in.
The only thing I can do -I think- is to use the AP and the H1b approval. Otherwise, do you recommend that I give my mailbox keys to somefriend and ask him to fedex the cards to my home address in order for us to use for reentry (after 3 weeks from now) ?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be possible to FedEx your Green Card but sometimes they want to see what you are shipping and if I remember correctly, sending such documents is not in their policy... BUT... you can try and ask them. Aside from that... I would be a bit worried to have someone send such sensitive documents abroad. You have to think if it's worth doing it.

Thanks Pryanik for giving me some air .. I hope so too.
If it gets approved soon, I can't find a spot for an infopass appointmnet before I leave .. I don't know if they will accept me for a walk-in.
The only thing I can do -I think- is to use the AP and the H1b approval. Otherwise, do you recommend that I give my mailbox keys to somefriend and ask him to fedex the cards to my home address in order for us to use for reentry (after 3 weeks from now) ?

Thanks.

It may be possible to FedEx your Green Card but sometimes they want to see what you are shipping and if I remember correctly, sending such documents is not in their policy... BUT... you can try and ask them. Aside from that... I would be a bit worried to have someone send such sensitive documents abroad. You have to think if it's worth doing it.

you're right.
Thanks.

Interview

We are done with our interview. It was super easy and lady said she will approve it after review.
I received notification for my case with in an hour but my husband didn't get anything yet. His last updated status still shows 5/8/13. Now we are getting worried. Hope everything is fine.
Will post the detailed interview experience tomorrow. Cheers!!

We are done with our interview. It was super easy and lady said she will approve it after review.
I received notification for my case with in an hour but my husband didn't get anything yet. His last updated status still shows 5/8/13. Now we are getting worried. Hope everything is fine.
Will post the detailed interview experience tomorrow. Cheers!!

Congrats!!

Status changed to Decision:

Finally my status is changed to "Decision" which states new permanent resident status has been recorded. Card will be mailed within 60 days.

Thanks to everyone who supported through this forum. If you are waiting too long, you might wanna create a case with USCIS and select DV for reason to expedite ( Do not select personal or financial reason).

Thanks again. Will update spreadsheet shortly.