• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Varxx thank u and
I appreciate ur idea and I will work to get
such certificate.

more thoughts or similar situation.?

Varxx thank u and
such certificate.

I agree with Varxx, what you can do is to collect any documentations to support your marriage is valid.
During interview, IO might consider your marriage is suspicious, in that case, what you can do is to explain your situation and tell him/her the truth (and educate him/her). As far as you tell the truth and have backup documentations, you should be fine, and you cannot do anything more than that.

AOS documents cover letter F1

Hi guies,
my CN: AS0046** i m current on march my documets cover letter looks like this

Cover Letter
• I-485
• I-693
• G-325A
• G-1145
• Diversity Visa(DV) Selectee First Notification Letter
• DV AOS letter
• Copy of DV processing fee payment receipt
• Copy of birth certificate accompanied with original document
• Copy of passport
• Copy of non-immigrant F1 visa
• Copy of I94
• Copy of high school diploma certificate
• Dl/ID
• Money

do i need any more documets than this, for instance my I20 and social security card?
i am planning to send it on first day of March, but if second letter is required than i might have to wait..
what about affidavite support, i m currently employed on EAD

any help would be highly appereciated....

Hi guies,

do i need any more documets than this, for instance my I20 and social security card?
i am planning to send it on first day of March, but if second letter is required than i might have to wait..

Before you send the AOS documents, make sure send DSP 122, DS 230 I and II, DV winning letter to KCC along with two photographs. Also you need DV payment receipt when you send the AOS package to chicago lockbox. This receipt you can get by sending dv payment of $330 for you and each family member applying with you, if any.

Hi guies,

Cover Letter
• I-485
• I-693
• G-325A
• G-1145
• Diversity Visa(DV) Selectee First Notification Letter
• DV AOS letter
• Copy of DV processing fee payment receipt
• Copy of birth certificate accompanied with original document
• Copy of passport
• Copy of non-immigrant F1 visa
• Copy of I94
• Copy of high school diploma certificate
• Dl/ID
• Money

You do need copy of your I-20, copy of your EAD documents/cards, letter from your employer stating salary. Also, copies of all your diplomas, transcripts, especially your high school diploma.

Varxx thank u and
such certificate.

Look at the web site of the US embassy that does the CP for your country; they usually have a list of what local documentation they accept for the birth cert.s, marriage licenses and police records. Obtain that particular document, then get a certified English translation of it. I'm sure your government issues some form of official document for marriage. You can also contact your Embassy/Consulate in US to get an English document.

Hi, new to posting but have been reading the thread and found invaluable advice and help so far. So thanks to the posters. I feel i know more about the process than when I have spoken with an immigration attorney from just reading up on forums like this. Anyway, I haven't found anything from scanning the DV 2013 thread about whether all family members need to pay the $1070 AOS filing fee or whether it is only the principle applicant (in this case my husband). I know with the DV fees they had to cover both of us. Also as the spouse of the principle do I also need a medical exam? For some reason the information is not specific on the government websites or am I missing something? If I am please direct me to the right web pages. LIke what forms/fees do I need to complete as the family member of the DV lottery applicant? Thanks in advance for your help.
Take a look:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=3faf2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

Both you and spouse need to do separate I-485s, medical exams, G-325s, $1070 checks.

An AOS applicant remains on their respective status F/J/H/B whatever ( as long as it is valid within its requirements) until the AOS application is either approved then the applicant becomes a permanent resident PR or if the application is denied then the applicant is still at their previous status of F/J/H/B. Therefore it is always important to stay in status until your application is approved. Otherwise you might fall out of status and risk having your AOS application denied. An exception for this could be the marriage situation where being out of status rule isnt enforced. Meanwhile for example if you are a student and won DV and applied for AOS and at the same time failed to maintain your F status then most likely your application of AOS will be denied because you violated the requirements of your non-immigrant status and therefore you dont get any further benefits.

To make this short...having submitted an AOS isnt really a status itself and the proof for that is if for example you are a student with F1 status and you did apply for AOS and at that time period you needed to renew your driver license at that point the license bureau will only accpet your F1/(I-20)/I-94 documents to renew your licensee. They will not accept your AOS application as a form of status.

I agree with you and it makes sense, but do you know these for a fact or are these your interpretation? I found out (at least for my state) that there is a separate "AOS applicant" category as to who can/can't apply for driver's license renewal. For each nonimmigrant category, there is a list of things that should be submitted. Oddly enough F1 and H1B were not listed :) I guess it's too obvious in those cases.

I understand we have to maintain status throughout but I'd like to know for sure how AOS applicants are seen from the viewpoint of USCIS. This is important for jankes also since his H1B is expiring.

I agree with you and it makes sense, but do you know these for a fact or are these your interpretation? I found out (at least for my state) that there is a separate "AOS applicant" category as to who can/can't apply for driver's license renewal. For each nonimmigrant category, there is a list of things that should be submitted. Oddly enough F1 and H1B were not listed :) I guess it's too obvious in those cases.

I understand we have to maintain status throughout but I'd like to know for sure how AOS applicants are seen from the viewpoint of USCIS. This is important for jankes also since his H1B is expiring.

Hi,

I am still waiting for my interview :(((
Anyway, I am an F-1 student and my wife an F-2, I went and talked with my international advisor yesterday and listen carefully to what she said:
1) if you use your work permit that you received from AOS or your travel documentation ( me or my wife): our F-status will be immediately terminated.
2) Therefore in a case of you have problem with the interview and you don't have a status then you need to leave the US.
3) if my wife she needs to travel before the interview she can use her F-2 visa to come back.
4) when you pass the interview, then I will go to her with my green card and cancel my F-status
conclusion:
If you don't pass the interview, you can keep your visa as long as you don't use the work permit or not violated your F-status.

Hi,

I am still waiting for my interview :(((

It's been more than 30 days since your BIO, you should call NCSC and ask them to send a service request (or something like that) to your FO, you can also talk to a "level 2" person and find out more specifics of your case.
If it's not too far, you can also get an infopass appointment and go to your FO to inquire about your case.

Anyway, I am an F-1 student and my wife an F-2, I went and talked with my international advisor yesterday and listen carefully to what she said:
1) if you use your work permit that you received from AOS or your travel documentation ( me or my wife): our F-status will be immediately terminated.
2) Therefore in a case of you have problem with the interview and you don't have a status then you need to leave the US.
3) if my wife she needs to travel before the interview she can use her F-2 visa to come back.
4) when you pass the interview, then I will go to her with my green card and cancel my F-status
conclusion:
If you don't pass the interview, you can keep your visa as long as you don't use the work permit or not violated your F-status.

I agree, going for work permit during AOS for F and J visas is not advisable. I also wouldn't leave the country at all even with a valid F/J visa. Having said that, a lot of DSOs have only limited knowledge of regulations pertaining to the most general cases of F and J status, some of them couldn't even tell you what the consequences of applying for work permit would be. They deal with the "usual" cases, anything beyond that is not their area of "expertise". Immigration lawyers on the other hand deal with stuff like work permits, H visas, green cards etc. so they don't know much about particulars of F and J visas. F/J people should take advise cautiously, and maintain status no matter what, until the end of the AOS process, and after getting the green card they should go and let their int'l advisor know so that their SEVIS record is updated appropriately; and let the HR know too to update I-9 if they are also working on campus.

It's been more than 30 days since your BIO, you should call NCSC and ask them to send a service request (or something like that) to your FO, you can also talk to a "level 2" person and find out more specifics of your case.
If it's not too far, you can also get an infopass appointment and go to your FO to inquire about your case.

I agree, going for work permit during AOS for F and J visas is not advisable. I also wouldn't leave the country at all even with a valid F/J visa. Having said that, a lot of DSOs have only limited knowledge of regulations pertaining to the most general cases of F and J status, some of them couldn't even tell you what the consequences of applying for work permit would be. They deal with the "usual" cases, anything beyond that is not their area of "expertise". Immigration lawyers on the other hand deal with stuff like work permits, H visas, green cards etc. so they don't know much about particulars of F and J visas. F/J people should take advise cautiously, and maintain status no matter what, until the end of the AOS process, and after getting the green card they should go and let their int'l advisor know so that their SEVIS record is updated appropriately; and let the HR know too to update I-9 if they are also working on campus.

If I may add one more thing, don't rely on your international adviser of your institution too much. They do deal with your visa, but they are not lawyer, so there are so many things they are not aware of.
Also, university cannot give legal advice to their students or staff, which you probably hear that from them already, so even they make mistake, it will be your fault not them. (this is based on my experience....)

One thing is really important here:

It is true what they told you at the OIP, you do lose your F1 status once you use your EAD. If the AOS is not apporved you must leave the country immediately. Apparently, and unlike most Universites, the people at your OIP know what they say.

Pryanik :)

Doing AOS is not a "status" but it is a transnational period from one status to another. Until your AOS application is approved or denied it is called under process and you are in pending adjusting status. Technically at this time of pending AOS you remain in status of your previous status (if you maintained it) or if you were already out of status then USCIS refers to you as "authorized stay" they are authorizing you to stay (even though you are out of status and they know about it) but they have given you authorization to stay until they look into your AOS application.

Now for DV selectee who are doing AOS they should maintain their status that they have until a decision is made about their AOS application.

For USCIS in case of DV winner who wants to do AOS purposes they look at you this way:

1) once you are selected as a winner and you are in USA (for instance as H1B), then USCIS looks at you the same as any H1B holder (winning DV doesnt mean anything)

2) paying DV fees for DOS or filing any documents with KCC ( USCIS still looks at you the same H1B or whatever)

3)Until your DV case number becomes current and you apply for AOS ( you are still considerd H1B or whaterver other
status you are in)

4) Your case is current and you applied for AOS and filed your application ( at this point everything still the same you are at H1B or whatever other status) But be careful if traveling outside USA make sure you apply for Advance Parole or wait until you get a decision from USCIS.

5) you have a decision on your AOS application at this point if approved you are PR if not then you keep whatever status you had if you maintained it.

Hi everyone,

Today, I had my interview at the Portland's field office. The interview was scheduled for 12:30. I checked in one hour earlier. The officer called my name around 12:45. The officer was a nice (but very serious) lady. My interview experience was very straight forward. She just asked for my passport and driving license. She removed the I-94 form and told me that I don't need that anymore. She went through the questions on I485. At last, she said that she will approve my case and I should receive my GC soon by mail. She didn't ask for any other documents.

Overall, it took about 15 minutes.

I will be still hanging out in the forum to help others. I wish you the best of luck.

Congratulations Loladvas!!!

Pryanik :)

Hi everyone,

Today, I had my interview at the Portland's field office. The interview was scheduled for 12:30. I checked in one hour earlier. The officer called my name around 12:45. The officer was a nice (but very serious) lady. My interview experience was very straight forward. She just asked for my passport and driving license. She removed the I-94 form and told me that I don't need that anymore. She went through the questions on I485. At last, she said that she will approve my case and I should receive my GC soon by mail. She didn't ask for any other documents.

I will be still hanging out in the forum to help others. I wish you the best of luck.

Hi everyone,

congratulation!!

Congratulations!!!

Hi everyone,

Congrats

Very Congrats dear. you helped me so much and I am so glad to see you are successful.

B

Hi everyone,