• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

I see from the previous years thread that some people received the interview letter on or before bio date. How does it work? When do the file from NBC goes to the FO?

That's what happened to me. I guess these are two independent processes. I don't know what happens when you go to your interview and your background check is not done yet.

Post Interview

Hi everyone, had my interview yesterday and was wondering how long it takes to get welcome letter and/or online status update ?

IO said it was all approved.

Peter

Let's say my number becomes current in May, which will be announced in the April bulletin posted around the 10th of March. When can I send my I-485 packet with I-765? Is it on the 1st of April or the 1st of May? Please advise, it is very crucial in my case.
Thanks a million

By the way, you know your driver's license is also expiring with your I-94, right? How does one renew driver's license if the status is "pending"? I may need that particular information.

By the way, you know your driver's license is also expiring with your I-94, right? How does one renew driver's license if the status is "pending"? I may need that particular information.

I know you are in H1-B, so your case might not be the same as mine (I am in J1), but in my understanding, drivers licence for F-1 or J-1 expires when DS2019 expires not I-94 (my I-94 does not have the date to expire), so I can renewal my DL as far as DS2019 is valid.
Also it seems to be depending on local DMV as well, since some of my friends could renewal their DL for four years (just like US citizen) regardless of their DS2019 or I-94 when I was in collage in US.

That's what happened to me. I guess these are two independent processes. I don't know what happens when you go to your interview and your background check is not done yet.

I guess NBC forwards the information asap to FO and it all depends on the discretion of FO to issue IL. Yeah you may be right, they are independent processes.

I guess you can renew your license if you already received the EAD or else have to wait for the green card.

I know you are in H1-B, so your case might not be the same as mine (I am in J1), but in my understanding, drivers licence for F-1 or J-1 expires when DS2019 expires not I-94 (my I-94 does not have the date to expire), so I can renewal my DL as far as DS2019 is valid.
Also it seems to be depending on local DMV as well, since some of my friends could renewal their DL for four years (just like US citizen) regardless of their DS2019 or I-94 when I was in collage in US.

Well I'm not sure if we are F/J/H any more. Technically we are AOS applicants.

Tomorrow is loladvas13's interview, good luck!

Also balm2013, let us know how it went.

Thank you guys!

I heard from balm2013 that he had a smooth experience. I let him to share the experience personally.
I will update you soon. wish me luck!

Well I'm not sure if we are F/J/H any more. Technically we are AOS applicants.

Tomorrow is loladvas13's interview, good luck!

Also balm2013, let us know how it went.

An AOS applicant remains on their respective status F/J/H/B whatever ( as long as it is valid within its requirements) until the AOS application is either approved then the applicant becomes a permanent resident PR or if the application is denied then the applicant is still at their previous status of F/J/H/B. Therefore it is always important to stay in status until your application is approved. Otherwise you might fall out of status and risk having your AOS application denied. An exception for this could be the marriage situation where being out of status rule isnt enforced. Meanwhile for example if you are a student and won DV and applied for AOS and at the same time failed to maintain your F status then most likely your application of AOS will be denied because you violated the requirements of your non-immigrant status and therefore you dont get any further benefits.

To make this short...having submitted an AOS isnt really a status itself and the proof for that is if for example you are a student with F1 status and you did apply for AOS and at that time period you needed to renew your driver license at that point the license bureau will only accpet your F1/(I-20)/I-94 documents to renew your licensee. They will not accept your AOS application as a form of status.

Let's say my number becomes current in May, which will be announced in the April bulletin posted around the 10th of March. When can I send my I-485 packet with I-765? Is it on the 1st of April or the 1st of May? Please advise, it is very crucial in my case.

adamkiaa,

Salam,

You can only file your case on the first month that you will become current. Don not file it anytime earlier.

Question about AOS filing fee

Hi, new to posting but have been reading the thread and found invaluable advice and help so far. So thanks to the posters. I feel i know more about the process than when I have spoken with an immigration attorney from just reading up on forums like this. Anyway, I haven't found anything from scanning the DV 2013 thread about whether all family members need to pay the $1070 AOS filing fee or whether it is only the principle applicant (in this case my husband). I know with the DV fees they had to cover both of us. Also as the spouse of the principle do I also need a medical exam? For some reason the information is not specific on the government websites or am I missing something? If I am please direct me to the right web pages. LIke what forms/fees do I need to complete as the family member of the DV lottery applicant? Thanks in advance for your help.

All family members need to pay aos fees. Each family member submits all the forms filed by the principal applicant. The same applies to the medical exam. I am assuming you already paid the dv fees $330*number of family members, for example: if it is just husband and wife that would be $660

Hi, new to posting but have been reading the thread and found invaluable advice and help so far. So thanks to the posters. I feel i know more about the process than when I have spoken with an immigration attorney from just reading up on forums like this. Anyway, I haven't found anything from scanning the DV 2013 thread about whether all family members need to pay the $1070 AOS filing fee or whether it is only the principle applicant (in this case my husband). I know with the DV fees they had to cover both of us. Also as the spouse of the principle do I also need a medical exam? For some reason the information is not specific on the government websites or am I missing something? If I am please direct me to the right web pages. LIke what forms/fees do I need to complete as the family member of the DV lottery applicant? Thanks in advance for your help.

AOS of newly married couple

Hi, everybody

My wife had been chosen for for further processing 2013 dv loteery.

we married in April so my name is not included in the initial application, after that,

I sent form 122 and form ds-230 and she update her status and my name included,

Kentucky center told that I am eligible for adjustment of status with my wife,

my interview in march,

my questions

The marriage contract done between my father and my wife's father which is usual and customary in arabic countries

and that time I was here in the US then I went to my country in May to make the wedding, I am afraid if the officer asked me

how it comes you are here and you get married in your country, and he/she get confused and become suspicious of our marriage ?

any similar condition or ideas please.

Why don't u get a letter from your embassy stating the marriage procedure in your country. An official letter will be more effective while explaining your situation

Other folks on this thread may have an input too!

Hi, everybody

My wife had been chosen for for further processing 2013 dv loteery.

we married in April so my name is not included in the initial application, after that,

I sent form 122 and form ds-230 and she update her status and my name included,

Kentucky center told that I am eligible for adjustment of status with my wife,

my interview in march,

my questions

The marriage contract done between my father and my wife's father which is usual and customary in arabic countries

and that time I was here in the US then I went to my country in May to make the wedding, I am afraid if the officer asked me

how it comes you are here and you get married in your country, and he/she get confused and become suspicious of our marriage ?

any similar condition or ideas please.