• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Thanks Pryanik777,

I just noticed at the bottom of the letter it says form G-56. Does your letter have the same form number?

Interview letter did not look like a NOA (I-797), it was like a specific format from our FO and the sender's address was from our FO. The generic list of documents was in an attached white page. Some of them applied and some of them did not apply to us but we tried to get even those that we knew were not required for us.

Pryanik :)

well, I don't know which is "normal" but
My IL is pretty similar to bio letter, it has I-797C notice of action on top right corner,
and it says Request for applicant to appear for initial interview then notice date etc......

and it says "you are hereby notified to appear for the interview appointment, as scheduled above, for the completion of your Application to Register Permanent Residency or Adjust Status (Form I-485) and any supporting applications or petitions."

followed by list of documented that I should bring.

So in my case, it is only one page, no separate letter to list what docs to bring.

quite honestly, form of letter doesn't really matter, important thing is you received letter, which is one step closer to get GC.

Also I did not see "G-56" anywhere in my latter

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that I do not see that in my list, may be every field office as their own list.

Were you asked for school/college degrees evaluation by world education service (WES). It is mentioned in mine, do I need to get that? My degrees are in English already. My wife who is a principle applicant got high school diploma translated and evaluated by WES.

Also did you receive a separate IL for you and your wife?

I never heard of WES. Maybe it is your FO that has a policy of asking for it. Both me and spouse received separate letters. We had the list on the actual letter and a separate sheet talking about what to bring in case of arrest etc. They took the letter and it never occured to me to make a copy of it :( so I can't tell much in detail like form number etc.

well, I don't know which is "normal" but
My IL is pretty similar to bio letter, it has I-797C notice of action on top right corner,
and it says Request for applicant to appear for initial interview then notice date etc......

and it says "you are hereby notified to appear for the interview appointment, as scheduled above, for the completion of your Application to Register Permanent Residency or Adjust Status (Form I-485) and any supporting applications or petitions."

followed by list of documented that I should bring.

So in my case, it is only one page, no separate letter to list what docs to bring.

quite honestly, form of letter doesn't really matter, important thing is you received letter, which is one step closer to get GC.

Also I did not see "G-56" anywhere in my latter

Yep mine was pretty much exactly like that. I was obsessed over this "initial interview" wording.

rnotk, does your list have the same line about bringing copies and originals already submitted?

I remember Kazore was asked for some specific documents, I would like to know if it was mentioned on the IL itself or on the generic list.

Congratulations for your interview letter.
They asked for specific documents on a separate page called "request for evidence" with my name on it.

I just check out WES and they do the evaluation for foreign documents but the thing is they ask to send them photocopies with attestation from education board. Where the h*** should I get the copies attested while I am here. WES is online and strange that they do not have any formal office where we can walk-in.

I never heard of WES. Maybe it is your FO that has a policy of asking for it. Both me and spouse received separate letters. We had the list on the actual letter and a separate sheet talking about what to bring in case of arrest etc. They took the letter and it never occured to me to make a copy of it :( so I can't tell much in detail like form number etc.

rnotk, aos13, pryanik777

What worries me now is that I have been reading about the G-56 form. They usually use it for various reasons like marriage based, second interviews or stokes interviews. It is not clear why they sent us G-56 instead of some other regular form.

rnotk, aos13, pryanik777

What worries me now is that I have been reading about the G-56 form. They usually use it for various reasons like marriage based, second interviews or stokes interviews. It is not clear why they sent us G-56 instead of some other regular form.

You know what, this is your "wrong" interview letter. They made a mistake which you fixed, right? This is the letter before the fix I bet.

You know what, this is your "wrong" interview letter. They made a mistake which you fixed, right? This is the letter before the fix I bet.

May be you are right, I am thinking if I need to go for an infopass and talk to them. Even though the letter is a form G-56 it still asking information specifically for our dv case. All the requested documents addressed are to dv visa applicants and the reason appointment is I-485 adjustment of status/dv case.

Congratulations for your interview letter.
They asked for specific documents on a separate page called "request for evidence" with my name on it.

Thanks Kazore. IL you received was I-797C?

Yep mine was pretty much exactly like that. I was obsessed over this "initial interview" wording.

rnotk, does your list have the same line about bringing copies and originals already submitted?

my list seems to be generic one, asking many docs that I already submit (i.e. medical and diploma).
and it has list of docs needed in case I am married, which I am not.

what do you mean "wrong" one???, well I don't have time to fix it anyway since my interview is next Monday.
They sent me letter to come to office, and there is no way for me to know whether it is right or wrong letter, so it should be fine.

he was talking about the letter I received

what do you mean "wrong" one???, well I don't have time to fix it anyway since my interview is next Monday.
They sent me letter to come to office, and there is no way for me to know whether it is right or wrong letter, so it should be fine.

Hi Varxx!

No, as I mentioned, it was just like a simple letter with the seal of USCIS and no form # on it. It's probably the style of this particular FO.

Thanks Pryanik777,

I just noticed at the bottom of the letter it says form G-56. Does your letter have the same form number?

I don't know what you mean by "wrong" letter and I mentioned we never got a I-797. We didn't need to fix anything, we went to the interview, had a very pleasant interview, got approved on the spot, and left the IO's office with an approval letter in hand each which is something that not everybody in the forum has gotten.

he was talking about the letter I received

I don't know what you mean by "wrong" letter and I mentioned we never got a I-797. We didn't need to fix anything, we went to the interview, had a very pleasant interview, got approved on the spot, and left the IO's office with an approval letter in hand each which is something that not everybody in the forum has gotten.

well, apparently they are talking about the G-56 things on varxx's letter.
I don't know what that is, so sorry that I cannot provide any info about that.

Also, I am not sure about WES either, since I graduated from university in the US and submitted the diploma from that.

If anyone who submitted diploma from school outside of US can make comments about that.

I don't quite get this section of your question, can you clarify it?

Are you referring to the $330 DV fee? That is quite different from the AOS fee which gets sent with the I-485 package

Sorry for the confusion, I guess it is the DV fee that I paid. 2 x 330. I originally thought the DV fee was for the I-485 package.
and the 330 was the AOS fee.

The mention about DV1 and DV2 was about if I am eligible and if spouse is eligible for the VISA, then they will give the primary a DV1 and dependent a DV2 VISA. However, both have to enter the US at the same time. I guess in some cases the dependents enter separately and they don't let you do that when you do spouse chargeability.

"Also, I am not sure about WES either, since I graduated from university in the US and submitted the diploma from that.

If anyone who submitted diploma from school outside of US can make comments about that."

WES is an organization which pretty much translates the worth of your degree( Homeland) in the US. For example i did 2 years of my university work in my country, and came here for the rest. After coming here i sent my transcripts from my country to WES and they mailed university a report containing the list of classes equivalent to the one i took in my country. To make it easy they pretty much tell the university whatever classes i took in my country are legit so that i dont end up repeating them here. Thats it.
I hope it helps.

For your reference make sure to take your high school certificate/diploma to the interview.

Also, I am not sure about WES either, since I graduated from university in the US and submitted the diploma from that.
If anyone who submitted diploma from school outside of US can make comments about that.

well, apparently they are talking about the G-56 things on varxx's letter.
I don't know what that is, so sorry that I cannot provide any info about that.

varxx's letter is a form G-56, apparently they use it for marriage-based green card interviews. Remember varxx said that they filed their 485 wrongly as I-130, that's a petition for alien relative. And varxx received this letter the same say he got to his FO and got it fixed, there is no way they can send the letter on that same day for you to receive. So the letter they received was probably still based on I-130. But I don't know why there would be DV related stuff on it. It's a good idea to get another infopass and get things straightened.

Regarding diplomas etc. what we really need to do is to send photocopies of our high school and higher degree diplomas along with a certified translation. Then for the interview, we need to bring again copies and originals. But if your FO specifically asks for this WES thingy, that I don't know. Sounds like a good question during infopass.

In our case, we had sent original transcript that we received from a US university, so the IO didn't even care to look at other things.
I had found either a USCIS page or a DoS page that would list all countries' high school diploma equivalencies, but I can't locate it right now. Bringing that information might also be helpful.

Sorry it was not a gov site, I saw it here:
http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/high-school-diploma-equivalents.html

Sorry for the confusion, I guess it is the DV fee that I paid. 2 x 330. I originally thought the DV fee was for the I-485 package.
and the 330 was the AOS fee.
It is always good to repeat things so there is no confusion or misunderstanding: 2X330 is the DV fee that you send to St. Louis DoS address for you and your spouse. AOS fee is what you send with your I-485, $1070 per person.

The mention about DV1 and DV2 was about if I am eligible and if spouse is eligible for the VISA, then they will give the primary a DV1 and dependent a DV2 VISA. However, both have to enter the US at the same time. I guess in some cases the dependents enter separately and they don't let you do that when you do spouse chargeability.

Both you and your spouse are in US, right? Since you are doing AOS, you won't even get a visa, you'll get a green card. Yes its category will be DV1 for primary and DV2 for the spouse, but you can come and go as you wish with that green card.

Correction: you will be DV6 and DV7 because of AOS.

For your reference make sure to take your high school certificate/diploma to the interview.

Thanks for the advice varxx,
I originally was planning to get one from my high school back in my country (since they can issue in English), but
I actually have both BS and PhD from University in the US, and my job require PhD degree, so my lawyer told me high school diploma is not necessary.
Hopefully my IO won't be too picky about high school diploma, since it should be obvious that I need to finish high school to go to Univ. but who know... well, I will see on Monday. with fingers crossed.