• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Thanks for the advice varxx,
I originally was planning to get one from my high school back in my country (since they can issue in English),

You mean the certificate, right? Do you have your original diploma with you? You can take that if you do. If not, I'm sure US degrees will be sufficient if the IO doesn't get too literal.

It is always good to repeat things so there is no confusion or misunderstanding: 2X330 is the DV fee that you send to St. Louis DoS address for you and your spouse. AOS fee is what you send with your I-485, $1070 per person.

Both you and your spouse are in US, right? Since you are doing AOS, you won't even get a visa, you'll get a green card. Yes its category will be DV1 for primary and DV2 for the spouse, but you can come and go as you wish with that green card.

Correction: you will be DV6 and DV7 because of AOS.

Thanks!

I read somewhere that IO at CP was insisting about the high school diploma, even though the applicant was highly qualified. Take the high school diploma if you can, just in case.

Good Luck with your interview!!!

Thanks for the advice varxx,
Hopefully my IO won't be too picky about high school diploma, since it should be obvious that I need to finish high school to go to Univ. but who know... well, I will see on Monday. with fingers crossed.

Yes, you should not only rely on your University diplomas even if your attorney told you so, I am a Ph.D. and they asked for High School certificate. :) In the end everything is in the IO's hands.

Pryanik :)

I read somewhere that IO at CP was insisting about the high school diploma, even though the applicant was highly qualified. Take the high school diploma if you can, just in case.

Yes we all have heard of such cases, but technically this is what the law says:
INA 203(c):

(2) Requirement of education or work experience. - An alien is not eligible for a visa under this subsection unless the alien-

(A) has at least a high school education or its equivalent, or

(B) has, within 5 years of the date of application for a visa under this subsection, at least 2 years of work experience in an occupation which requires at least 2 years of training or experience.

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...-0-0-29/0-0-0-1083/0-0-0-1159.html#0-0-0-1349

I'm not going to advise you argue with the IO :) but it's the law. The other thing is that you can show you are employed and your employment requires an advanced degree.

Yes, you should not only rely on your University diplomas even if your attorney told you so, I am a Ph.D. and they asked for High School certificate. :) In the end everything is in the IO's hands.

Pryanik :)

I agree with you guys, it is probably better to bring HS diploma, so I advised everybody who is doing AOS to get whatever you can bring for the interview to be safe. but well it is too late for me.

If my IO insisted, I will request it and submit later.
But I think that even I don't have high school diploma with me, my job requires more than two years of training to get, and I have this job over two years now, so I will use this excuse to try to get around it, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
A numbers

For those of you who have not entered any A numbers in any of the forms; if you have ever received an H1B NOA with an A number on it, make sure to show it to the IO. Not all H1B NOAs have A numbers on it, but some do. If you have not entered it previously and you were given a new A number in one of your DV-related NOAs, they need to know that you have two different A numbers. You can check your H1B notices to see if you have an A number.

CP stands for Consular Processing
If you are DV winner and live in outside of the US, you will deal with US consulate/embassies of your country.
This is Consular processing (CP).

If you are already live in the US with legal VISA, you can choose to change your VISA status from what you have to permanent residency status while you still live in the US.
This is Adjustment of Status (AOS).

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=62280a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Thanks for your reply..
I'm quite new in this forum. can u please explain what is the CP?
Thanks!

It's like rnotk said. CP is usually faster than AOS because USCIS deals with a million cases every year and as you may have already read in this thread, some people have been waiting for months for their AOS. If you are from a low quota country you may want to go back to your country and do CP to get your green card faster to avoid the chance of quota being depleted before you had a chance to do your interview.

Hi all,

My AOS package was sent on 1/7, completed biometrics on 2/12, and my case status is still in Acceptance. Is it unusual that it takes too long time? I filed I765 with the package and I have received the EAD card, but I just don't know if it is weird that it is still in "Acceptance".

Hi all,

My AOS package was sent on 1/7, completed biometrics on 2/12, and my case status is still in Acceptance. Is it unusual that it takes too long time? I filed I765 with the package and I have received the EAD card, but I just don't know if it is weird that it is still in "Acceptance".

Please update the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjoXax6rTIh6dDduVnZRMXpSekI5bFgxc0lGWkV6QlE#gid=0 or your signature, we'll have a better visibility if we can help you.

wow thats fast, congrats

Thanks rnotk and varxx. Apparently they mailed it the next day after the interview.

edwardlau, please look at page 59 posts 1743-1752 to see what you can do to find out about your case.

Those of you who received their GCs, have you checked that one box in one of the forms requesting a social security card? Did it arrive or did you have to go to the SSA office and apply for it?

Hi all,

don't worry too much about it.
my interview is tomorrow, but my status is still "acceptance" as well.

How much influence a U visa application have on AOS process. Last year my husband saved some one from getting killed. He was the prime witness,and helped state to catch and put 4 guys behind jail. Later we were advised to file U visa by state attorney. His application is under process, and we might have our AOS interview before we know the outcome of U visa. What are you guys think U visa application will affect the AOS interview? I spoke to an attorney and she said you will be asked questions regarding U visa in the interview. As per the laws personal info in the U visa is highly confidential and cannot be shared with any one except VSC Adjudications staff under any circumstances.
Thanks!!

Any takers on this. I know no one is lawyer here or works for USCIS (I guess) but general feeling.

Ok, so its my turn to do interview report.

I went to the office about 20 min before the appointment time.
I waited for about 30-40 min before my name was called.

My lawyer and I got into the office with IO.
IO checked my ID and EAD card, and he checked documents that I already submitted with I-485.
Then he asked me few questions on I-485 such as how I originally entered US and criminal history etc...

and the interview was over. its less than 10 min.
no additional document was requested.

IO told me that I should wait up to 30 days for my GC.

very simple and smooth interview.

Although I was not asked to submit any docs during my interview, it is just my case and you should expect IO could ask additional documents ready for submission or re-submission.

For example, I submit only diploma from grad school, but I think it is good idea to have high school diploma ready. Also if you are under J-1 visa like me, it is better to request advisory opinion in case IO needs to confirm you are not subjected for 2-yr residency requirement.

One more advice from me is about lawyer. I decided to hire lawyer because I wanted to have someone who can check each process as professional point of view. But, as many suggested here in this thread, it is not necessary for many of you unless you have very complicated situation.

But if you decided to hire one, I strongly suggest you to do some research and interview lawyer before sign the contract with them.
DV program only create 50'000 cases every year, and most of them are not AOS. Also most of people who does AOS does not hire lawyer, which make it difficult to find a lawyer who has experiences in DV AOS cases.
I did this research and found one who has experience and I am satisfied with her service. So again not necessary, but if you decided to hire immigration lawyer, do some research and hire the right one.

I will let you know if I receive welcome letter or card, and GOOD LUCK for those who are still in process!!!!!