• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Certified translation

Hi, every body
I am selectee for 2013
my interview in march
my question regarding the translation of my documents
all of docs translated in my home country, and I have read in uscis website
the translation must include
Certification by Translator who must write this statement to be certified and unfortunately it is not.

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name

Address

is it an issue to have such docs in the interview or not
if I want to translate all of my docs it is expensive.
do they accept if I NOTARIZE in my embassy or not.
NOTE: that I already submit this docs in AOS package and I recieved the notice of action and they did not request further paper to be send.
my regards

Last edited by a moderator:

You can find somebody who is not a relative or has no direct benefit from you, who also knows both languages well and is able to prove it (like being born in your home country, having worked in US etc.) and that person can do the translations and fill that certification. AFTER that, certification, original, copy and translations need to be notarized by a public notary (which is free).

NOTE: that I already submit this docs in AOS package and I recieved the notice of action and they did not request further paper to be send.
my regards

They won't tell you that in NOA.

yes, you need to have this statement with signature of the translator.
however, as aos13 said, you don't have to hire professional interpreter,
you just need to find someone who is fluent in both English and your native language.

in my case, I asked my co-worker, who is from my country and works in the US to sign the statement.

Hi, every body
I am selectee for 2013
my interview in march
my question regarding the translation of my documents
all of docs translated in my home country, and I have read in uscis website
the translation must include
Certification by Translator who must write this statement to be certified and unfortunately it is not.

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name

Address

my regards

They won't tell you that in NOA.

in my case, I asked my co-worker, who is from my country and works in the US to sign the statement.

That would work but I think they still have to be notarized by a public notary, mainly to make sure that you didn't make up your friend :)

Jay2013,

I actually got my interview letter before the bio letter, go figure. You can call them and ask.

Thank you,

On a letter with my name on it they're asking to bring certificate of high school or work experience, the lawyer didn't include that in the package. They even precise "as required by section 203(c)(2) of the immigration and nationality act".
They're also asking to bring financial info (bank statements, evidence of financial assets, letter of employment).

Then on a separate generic sheet they're asking to bring the interview notice, ID, passport with I-94, originals and copy of documents with a certified translation (birth, marriage and high school certificates). They're asking to bring all immigration related documentation ever issued to me.
Then they're asking again for financial information: job letter, pay-stubs for past 2 months, current and previous certified IRS printouts, last 2 W2's, bank statements on bank stationery paper.
Then they're asking for a bunch of things if we have criminal records, received welfare assistance in the past and if the medical exam isn't complete.
They also precise that they may record or videotape the interview.

It is interesting that in your case they actually customized it for you, since you didn't submit HS diploma. The other list is generic to everybody I guess. Was your letter "initial interview" too ? :) I'm still hung up on that wording :)

On a related note, we did a walk-in bio on Friday. We went there at around 9:30, nobody was there except us. A very nice lady took our letters, gave us a sheet to fill in biographic info, entered everything into computer, let us check for correctness, rolled our fingers, took our photos, and gave our letters back with a stamp. In and out, it was less than 10 minutes I guess.

I don't understand how a lawyer decides to not include the high school certificate when this is a must document! This is why we should include ALL documents with the I-485 package just because we know they are required sooner or later and it doesn't hurt to send them. Obviously they are asking for it now so be sure to take the original and make several copies just in case...

About financial support, they want to to see the most recent information. Probably they won't ask you for all the documents listed there but you'd better get all of them, you don't know what the officer will ask.

Pryanik :)

Thank you,

On a letter with my name on it they're asking to bring certificate of high school or work experience, the lawyer didn't include that in the package. They even precise "as required by section 203(c)(2) of the immigration and nationality act".
They're also asking to bring financial info (bank statements, evidence of financial assets, letter of employment).

Then on a separate generic sheet they're asking to bring the interview notice, ID, passport with I-94, originals and copy of documents with a certified translation (birth, marriage and high school certificates). They're asking to bring all immigration related documentation ever issued to me.
Then they're asking again for financial information: job letter, pay-stubs for past 2 months, current and previous certified IRS printouts, last 2 W2's, bank statements on bank stationery paper.
Then they're asking for a bunch of things if we have criminal records, received welfare assistance in the past and if the medical exam isn't complete.
They also precise that they may record or videotape the interview.

Kazore,
That's really strange that your lawyer skipped the high school diploma. One the basic eligibility requirement for dv lottery is high school diploma or two year work experience. Anyway atleast they asked you to bring it over to the interview rather then putting your case on RFE. That's a good news!

If they ask for bank statements, how much cash we need to show in our accounts, if the applicants are on student visa? Would GA help?

Jay2013,

It is interesting that in your case they actually customized it for you, since you didn't submit HS diploma. The other list is generic to everybody I guess. Was your letter "initial interview" too ? :) I'm still hung up on that wording :)

It just say "Reason for appointment: Adjustment of status"

I totally agree, the lawyer should have included the high school diploma. I strongly felt that I was his 1st DV case. I had to tell him that I was current and we needed to sent the package. He sent it 11 days late, not even fedex or UPS but just USPS, it took 4 day to be delivered.

Mine says: Request for applicant to appear for initial interview.

Later in the letter it says: "You are hereby notified to appear for the interview appointment, as scheduled below, for the completion of your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485) and any supporting applications or petitions." etc.etc.

I guess every FO does have a different letter and style.
I totally agree, the lawyer should have included the high school diploma. I strongly felt that I was his 1st DV case. I had to tell him that I was current and we needed to sent the package. He sent it 11 days late, not even fedex or UPS but just USPS, it took 4 day to be delivered.
You should have let him go. To think that these people make money out of this job, sheesh :rolleyes:

yes, you need to have this statement with signature of the translator.
however, as aos13 said, you don't have to hire professional interpreter,
you just need to find someone who is fluent in both English and your native language.

Thanks for your clarification.
does the translator must intend the interview with me or just he can write his name and sign on the statment

does the translator must intend the interview with me or just he can write his name and sign on the statment

He does not have to be there (unless you need a translator for yourself during the interview?).
But he has to go to the public notary with you and show his ID to get the translations and copies certified.

It is difficult to choose a right lawyer especially for us, since there are too many of them in the US.

Mine says: Request for applicant to appear for initial interview.

Later in the letter it says: "You are hereby notified to appear for the interview appointment, as scheduled below, for the completion of your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485) and any supporting applications or petitions." etc.etc.

I guess every FO does have a different letter and style.

You should have let him go. To think that these people make money out of this job, sheesh :rolleyes:

Interpreter does not need to be at your interview for that reason,
in fact, only applicant(s) (and lawyer) can attend the interview, I think.

Thats not true. As the matter of fact, the interview letter specifically instructs that if the applicant is not fluent in english, he/she must bring an interpreter for the interview. But this is not a must, if the applicant is capable of handling the interview.

Interpreter does not need to be at your interview for that reason,
in fact, only applicant(s) (and lawyer) can attend the interview, I think.

Case Current for April, When should I file I-485 and additional documents??

Thank you everyone for this wonderful forum contribution. I have looking for some information for last several months, and this forum has helped a lot.

I am selected for 2013 DV lottery:

Case Number: 2013AS000056**
Case Current: April 2013 (Advance Notification in Visa Bulletin)
May 3, 2012 : First Notification (Online Status check)
June 10, 2012: DSP122 and DS230 sent to KCC
July 25, 2012: Letter from KCC acknowledging AOS
February 11, 2013: DV Fee ($ 330) sent to Dept. Of State
Case Current: April 2013 (Advance Notification in Visa Bulletin)

When can I file my I-485 and supporting documents? Is it April 1, since Letter from KCC says " You must wait until an immigrant visa number is immediately available".

I visited local USCIS Office, but they did not provide any specific information. KCC customer service agents provided two answers: One said I can file on MArch 1, while other said I have to wait to April 1, since my case (visa) number will be available only on April. Any information on this, who have gone through 2013 AOS process, will be greatly appreciated.

Is it April 1, since Letter from KCC says " You must wait until an immigrant visa number is immediately available".

I visited local USCIS Office, but they did not provide any specific information. KCC customer service agents provided two answers: One said I can file on MArch 1, while other said I have to wait to April 1, since my case (visa) number will be available only on April. Any information on this, who have gone through 2013 AOS process, will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is April 1st. If you send earlier it'll be returned.

Some think that you already have been notified that you'll have a visa number in April so it is OK to send it earlier, but I personally wouldn't take that risk.

Next..?

See response below:

I sent:
2 forms to KCC together with the 2 passports >> waiting for reply
$330 Fee to KCC >> waiting for payment confirmation

Questions::confused:
Medical.......
> Do I have to do Medical in the US? (I read somewhere that I have to do it outside??!!??) I am based in SF on an H1B.
> Do I have to do 'all' vaccinations in the medical? (i saw a list with 12 vaccinations)
> Does the medical usually take 1 visit or more?
> How come I don't find a doctor on the list for SF?? Would any doctor for the medial be ok?

Thanks for your help!

I just checked my interview letter and realized mine says "initial interview".

it says "Request for applicant to appear for initial interview"
and
"You are hereby notified to appear for the interview appointment, as scheduled below, for the completion of your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485) and any supporting applications or petitions.

so its probably the same letter as aos13 received.

Jay2013,

On a related note, we did a walk-in bio on Friday. We went there at around 9:30, nobody was there except us. A very nice lady took our letters, gave us a sheet to fill in biographic info, entered everything into computer, let us check for correctness, rolled our fingers, took our photos, and gave our letters back with a stamp. In and out, it was less than 10 minutes I guess.

Sorry, thats my mistake. the interview letter said bring your own interpreter if you need.
so loladvas13 is correct.

Thats not true. As the matter of fact, the interview letter specifically instructs that if the applicant is not fluent in english, he/she must bring an interpreter for the interview. But this is not a must, if the applicant is capable of handling the interview.

I sent:

Medical.......
> Do I have to do Medical in the US? (I read somewhere that I have to do it outside??!!??) I am based in SF on an H1B.
> Do I have to do 'all' vaccinations in the medical? (i saw a list with 12 vaccinations)
> How come I don't find a doctor on the list for SF?? Would any doctor for the medial be ok?

Thanks for your help!

94134 - San Francisco, CA
Dr. Kwokming J. Cheng, North East Medical Services
2574 San Bruno Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94134
(415) 391-9686
Dr. Kwokming J. Cheng, North East Medical Services
82 Leland Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94134
(415) 391-9686
Dr. Philip Chow, North East Medical Services
(415) 391-9686
Dr. Ted Li, North East Medical Services
(415) 391-9686

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

I sent:

Medical.......

Thanks for your help!

If you do AOS, you have to do medical in the US by civil surgeon.

For vaccination, I brought all the vaccination record that I have to the medical appointment, and doctor gave me shots that I need to take.
Locally I only got two.
The number of vaccination you need to get also determine the fee to pay to doctor, and my doctor only accepted cash.

All medical done in one visit, but you need to go back to get result in a sealed envelop. I also requested another copy for myself.

There are many civil surgeons in SF.
https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

If you are current in Feb. I recommend you to prepare everything including medical and send I-485 packet soon.
hope it helps