• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

MelanieT,

1. Your IGSE diploma will suffice. It will not hurt to get school to write you a letter.
2. Copy of current status- copy of latest visa and I-94. You will need copies of all I-20s as well.
3. Do not open medical sealed envelope, send the Original sealed one.
4. Certified English translator , check the dv2012 AOS forum. There was a discussion some time this year from a member with info on this.

Hey Minto, first of all, CONGRATZZZ!!!!!!!
It's good to know you made it

Anyways, for number 1. High school in the US refers to grade 9-12. But that's not how it went in my country. It was divided from 1-6, then 7-10, finally 11-12.
It was optional to take grades 11 and 12.
I accomplished the IGCSE in grade 10 and that was enough to get me into college and university here in the US.

Yet, technically, I didn't finish highschool (US standard 9-12). So I dont have a highschool degree.
I asked my old school for help but they're having a hard time, they can't just say I graduated since I didn't.
It'll also be hard to explain this IGCSE to the interviewers. I can just imagine it going wrong

Them: So did you finish highschool?
Me: No, but I didn't need it, see, my IGCSE was enough to get me to college here in the US
Them: What's an IGCSE? No high school degree, no green card.

I'm not sure what to do..

MelanieT,

You are seeing obstacles where there are none. The basis for DV lottery is indeed a high school diploma but you have an IGCSE diploma/ certificate. Include it when you send your application. Print any IGCSE information and your current US college transcripts for interview. Been in a US college or university and having documentation to that effect will suffice.

Remember once application is received at the lockbox, the lockbox officials do not check for education credentials, that is the work of the interviewers at the field office.

Interviewer in my case did not ask for high school diploma though it was in the folder. The current year dv interview posts also do not mention any high school questions. Look at Dv2012 Aos forum, there were few interviews with high school questions.

I give thanks and praise to Jesus Christ my provider and savior.
My and wife are greened.
Thank You all for your good luck wishes.
Interview was at 12:30. We were only other two people in lobby. Other was marriage based application.
IO asked for our drivers licenses and all passports. We took oath, completed a form filling out name, address and telephone and signed it. Wife was primary so she was asked I-485 questions. Name, Address, DOB, father and mothers name, terrorism, criminal /arrest questions. Was then asked to verify her signature.
Interviewer then asked for the KCC confirmation that we can complete AOS. This is the email and letter KCC emails you when you have sent ds122. It was part of checklist that we were asked to bring. Interviewer said congratulations to wife and then asked me the same questions as i am dependent. Asked if we had proof of marriage, we provided Kids birth certificates. Congratulations were her next words.
She then told us she needed to complete some steps and stamp our pasports so took us back to the lobby. After 20 minutes came back with letters addressed to as showing AOS success and with Passports stamped for 1 Year.

Interview and Immigration officer interaction took 15 minutes.

I am short of words about this whole experience as you can imagine but must once again acknowledge Jesus Christ my savior. He has been faithful to me and my family.

Hey Minto!

Congrats again on your approval!

On your post you mentioned they asked you for "all passports". Do you mean they also asked for your old and expired passports or all current ones that your family members have. During this time we have gathered all our expired passports containing all previous visas we've had.

Thanks!

Pryanik :)

Pryanick,

They asked for all passports we have ever had current and expired. While we were in lobby, IO may have been reviewing them.

Traveling immediately after interview

Hi guys,
I have a high case number and i don't expect to be interviewed before end of summer. In the same time i hope i can travel to my home country for a visit by end of summer. I am wondering if it is possible for me to wait till i m done with the interiew, and then go for couple weeks.
I m currently on H1, did COS but no visa stamped on my passport. Ididn't want to leave, i heard a lot of bad stories about administrative processing and i decided to stay in the US and avoid the risk.
Any thoughts abt this please ?
Thanks

Going to interview

Hello Guys

Also my interview today acctualy in 1 our at 10 am. After reading all suggestion in this website i feel more comfortable i belive i have done everying rigth. after my interview i will tell you what happened.

Wish me luck

Hello Guys

Also my interview today acctualy in 1 our at 10 am. After reading all suggestion in this website i feel more comfortable i belive i have done everying rigth. after my interview i will tell you what happened.

Wish me luck

Good luck Legate! You'll be fine!

Pryanik :)

Hi guys,
I have a high case number and i don't expect to be interviewed before end of summer. In the same time i hope i can travel to my home country for a visit by end of summer. I am wondering if it is possible for me to wait till i m done with the interiew, and then go for couple weeks.
I m currently on H1, did COS but no visa stamped on my passport. Ididn't want to leave, i heard a lot of bad stories about administrative processing and i decided to stay in the US and avoid the risk.
Thanks

James82,
By end of summer I presume you mean late July, August. Going by previous years your case may be current in or after July. Give or take two months processing. Unless its a matter of life and death would push the trip to after you receive the GC. What are my reasons:
1. you do not have the H-1b stamp and may not be willing to pursue it because of AP.
2. Given your tight timeframe in July, your interview will be scheduled shortly after biometrics so you really will not have time to use the travel authorization

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,
Thanks

You can submit an application for Advance Parole (I-131) together with your I-485. If they grant you the advance parole, you can then travel abroad without waiting for final adjudication of your AOS.

Me n my bf got married after sending my 1st letter n updated later. But I decided not to change my last name until we register our marriage in our respective countries (Both from diff countries). Do u guys think tat wil be a problem at the interview??

Last edited by a moderator:
I have sent my package on december 14, and got an email/text message that they accepted it. I have checked uscis.gov but nothing happened yet. I guess i should wait for the letter :)

You should receive your I-797 (NOA) in the next couple of days.

I have sent my package on december 14, and got an email/text message that they accepted it. I have checked uscis.gov but nothing happened yet. I guess i should wait for the letter :)

Non change of name shouldn't poss a problem at the interview - provided you have your marriage certificate to prove your marital status.

Me n my bf got married after sending my 1st letter n updated later. But I decided not to change my last name until we register our marriage in our respective countries (Both from diff countries). Do u guys think tat wil be a problem at the interview??

Thanks Minto64 and Hexa !
Can you develop more about the second item ? is the travel authorization similar to the "Advance Parole (I-131)" that Hexa suggested ? Is this applicable for me ? i m on H1b status, i just don't have the visa stamped in my passport ..
Appreciate your thoughts ..

Thanks Minto64 and Hexa !
Can you develop more about the second item ? is the travel authorization similar to the "Advance Parole (I-131)" that Hexa suggested ? Is this applicable for me ? i m on H1b status, i just don't have the visa stamped in my passport ..
Appreciate your thoughts ..

James82,

Application for travel authorization is the same as ' advance parole' form used is is I-131.

My online check status has changed!.. i'm going tomorrow for fingerprints and this are steps showing on my status Aceptance/ initial review/decision/postdecisionact/cardproduction. my 485 is under acceptance and the EAD & travel documents are under initial review.

I will keep you post it with my experience...