• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

I just got a text message from CIS that my case status has been updated. Checking online, it shows 'Card / Document Production' !!. I feel very relieved, although I'm not going to celebrate until I get the little plastic card.

Awesome news.

I just got a text message from CIS that my case status has been updated. Checking online, it shows 'Card / Document Production' !!. I feel very relieved, although I'm not going to celebrate until I get the little plastic card.

Great news. Congrats!

You didn't have to produce the community college transcripts?

Great news. Congrats!

You didn't have to produce the community college transcripts?
Thanks c1984!

No CC transcript needed. I guess the IO decided not to give us a hard time, since strictly speaking it's not part of the requirement anyway. If this was a couple of months away from Sept. 30 he might have asked for it. He did say that the original HS and foreign uni diplomas were 'good enough'.

Green card recieved.

Hello Everyone,
Congrats to every1 who got there cases approved. My husband received his green card. We also moved to Georgia from MN. Sorry for the late update, was super busy with moving n enjoying firs week in Atlanta.
I also realized I never posted our interview experience, so I will do that today. And also need to update the Google document.
Interview exp- Our interview was real easy. We prepared tons of extra documents as we got married after submitting first set of forms. IO had very little experience with DV lottery and she was recently got transferred from Texas to MN. She kinda had a check list on the side to check for DV interview. First thing she asked for Sponsor documents and we explained her that we make more than poverty line and don't need one. She was satisfied with the reply. And thats it. She said everything looks fine and explained us do's and dont's after receiving our green cards.
My husband told her that we collected all this documents would she like to see anything and she said NO. She than asked from where we bought our photo album as she needs to buy one for a friend.
We thanked her and told her how stressed we were before interview. She is like her job is just not to conduct the interview but also make everyone feel comfortable. She came out to the main hallway with us to bid good bye :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Post interview trouble and MN field office staff

I wanted to write a separate post explaining the issues we had with my husbands application and how MN field office played a major role to get it solved in record time.
I received my approval confirmation with in a hour, but my husband didnt get anything. He scheduled an infopass in advance just to be on the safe side. We got to know that because of his another pending visa application at Vermont service center, his mail A# file didnt come to Minneapolis service center. But instead it went to Vermont service center as he had an Alien no generated through that (Very difficult to explain). We went to a lawyer asking how much it usually takes for movement of one file from VSC to local office. He said he has never seen anything in his career done before 3-5 months. Same thing was said by another lawyer. That really scared us.
My husband started writing letters to VSC VAWA unit to move his files asap to MN. He wrote to almost every official he could find an email for on Google, but no reply from anyone. We also used hotline service by USCIS, but no avail.
During our next infopass we explained everything to officer at desk. He briefed his direct supervisor, and than supervisor called our Interviewing Officer. They all discussed what can be done, but she said USCIS do not permit them to approve a case without A# file. IO than called her supervisor, and she promised us that she will personally call her counterpart in VSC and get his papers.
Week and half pass by, and on the morning of my another infopass we got a call from MN USCIS office. Officer told us not to drive 3 hrs as my husbands papers weren't found. She called us back in the afternoon, and said she was able to locate the file and will email the person to fedex it. She called my husband before the close of the day that she didnt hear anything from that person yet, and asked him to visit office on Monday morning.
We went back there on Monday morning, and by now everyone knows us there( 4th visit). The lady at the reception told us our file copy came this morning. Than designed IO officer said he is going to talk to our interviewing officer if she will be able to approve the case with the copy or she needs original. He said she will be needing her supervisors permission to approve the case with only the photocopy of the A# file. But he said our 99% work is done. Next day in the morning we received approval notification. So thats our journey. I would advice anyone reading this for future to always schedule an infopass if your interview is in the later months just to be on the safe side. Plz send me a pm anytime if anyone got any questions. Thank you all again. It was a life changing experience, and enjoyed every moment of it.

We're exceedingly lucky to not have the gov't screw up on us this late in September, for it would be impossible to even schedule an infopass before the deadline. It looks like we're the last approved DV AOS on the forum.

urgent help

Dear all,

Kindly I had received my passport and my DV1 Visa is issued and printed on it indicating IV Issued Date 22AUG2013 and IV Expires on 21FEB2014

Am I required to enter USA before 30th September 2013 or I would lost my visa ?
Or I can enter USA till 21 Feb 2014 as this is the Expiration date indicated on my visa.

I just got a notice that my case status has changed again. Strangely it moved from 'Card/ Document Production' back to 'Decision'. Hopefully it moved to 'Decision' simply to print and mail the official approval / welcome letter. I will make a phone call tomorrow to check what's going on.

It's normal for the online status to move back to 'Decision' from 'Card/Document Production'. Nothing strange about that.

That's good. I'm just a tad anxious because it's only 4 workdays away from the deadline.

Mine was changed from card production into decision as well.then,it change it again into card production.When you read in decision statement,it actually mean you are change status.just wait for something nice letter that will coming to your mailbox :D

DV Lottery 2013 Experience- One of the most anxious experiences of my life

We're exceedingly lucky to not have the gov't screw up on us this late in September, for it would be impossible to even schedule an infopass before the deadline. It looks like we're the last approved DV AOS on the forum.
As I expected, having such a high case number, 2013AF0007****, me doing AOS, and my husband having to do Consular Processing in our country of citizenship, my experience since I became current in August has been a nightmare.
Firstly, my Biometrics date was only scheduled for 17 September. Luckily, at the advice of some members of this forum, I chose to do a "walk in" on 4 September. After some insistence on my part, and some helpful employees, I got my Biometrics completed. A few days later I received my interview letter. It was scheduled for 17 September at Charlotte DHS. I was of course 100% prepared, as I had 17 months to get all my paperwork ready. The interview went well, but during the process the person interviewing me said that she unfortunately could not finalise the process that day, as they were still waiting on my "visa package" from KCC. My heart dropped, as I knew that the clock was ticking, and nobody else on the forum had had this experience. I tried to find out exactly what she meant by that. She said that to finalise my case is a two part process- the interview, and the visa package which has to be sent form KCC. When I asked if there were a lot of DV lottery winners coming for interviews she replied that I was the first one that she had ever processed. A red flag went up there and then. I was so despondant when I left Charlotte and didn't know what to do. The next day I phoned KCC, and after a long wait was told that no request had come through to them from Charlotte for my file! This person suggested I contact USCIS, and request to speak to an immigration officer, which I did. There was a 75 minute wait, but I could leave a message for the officer to get back to me. I got straight into my car and started driving to Charlotte DOS. On the way there the IO phoned me, and I told him my situation. He said he would send a "service message" through to CDOS, asking them to request my file from KCC, and that I should hear from them in a few days. I told him I was going to go there myself, and he agreed that was probably a good idea, IF I could get through security, as I had no appointment.
I managed to talk my way through security, (they were the nicest people), and then stood and faced the clerk at the admissions window. First of all she of course told me I didn't have an interview. When I told her my situation, she was condescending, and told me that I "am one of thousands", and that they know their job. I told her that KCC had told me that they hadn't had a request from them for my file. She assured me that it had been done, and also told me not to stress, as the stress was all on them. I said that's all very well, but the cut-off is fast approaching and that if this wasn't completed by 30 September, there was no chance for me anymore. She said that only applies if the fault lay with me in getting everything in on time, and not if it was their fault. I knew from reading the forum that this wasn't correct, but I couldn't get any further than that. The next day I phoned KCC again. Once again they told me that my file had not been requested by CDOS. I was incredulous! I told her that CDOS had told me they had sent the request through electronically. The person at KCC told me it had to be done by Fax, not email, and even gave me the Fax number. I rushed out the door, back to Charlotte. Once again I was let in by security (God Bless these people), and once again I was met by a surly admissions clerk. I eventually managed to make a connection with her on a personal level. She told me to sit down and wait while she tried to locate my file. After about an hour, the person who initially did my interview came to the window to speak to me. I told her what the sitaution was, and that KCC had told me that the request needs to come via Fax. She was pleasant, but asked me politely why I had waited to the last minute to send in all my forms!!? I tried to explain the process of DV lottery winning to her, and how one cannot send in I-485 until the number you are alloted by the computer in the DV draw becomes current. Mine only became current in August. She started to say that there was nothing she could do as her supervisor was in a meeting. I started crying, and told her that I come from a country where there is extreme violence, and that I have a seventeen year old daughter whom I couldn't take back to our country of residence. She actually also comes from a country of extreme violence, so she took pity on me and ran off to get her supervisor. When the supervisor arrived she told me that she had been doing her job for 27 years, and knew exactly what to do.She again asked me why I had left all this so late. I politely told her the DV lottery procedure and she started shaking her head, saying this wasn't true. I offered to sit down with her, and for the two of us to go to the DV website and read through what is required. She declined my offer and said she would make a few phone calls for me, and that she would let me know the progress by the end of the day. Luckily she gave me all her contact details, as well as her direct phone number. By the end of the day I still hadn't heard back from her. First thing on Friday morning I called her again. She said she would go and look to see if anything had arrived for me and get back to me. I phoned her every hour on the hour for the next three hours, but only got her voicemail. At 11.00am, I was on my way out the door to drive to Charlotte again, when she phoned and told me she had received the Fax from KCC. She said she was going to her manager and her manager would get my case and my husband's case adjudicated, and that I would receive my GC in the mail in about a weeks time.
My husband, and all my friends and family were thrilled at the news of my approval, but I knew in my heart that this process was not over yet. In my country of residence there are 2 public holidays this week, so that left only 4 days to get his GC approved. By Monday nothing had been sent through to the Consulate in my country. Tuesday was a PH. Today, once again, nothing has been sent through. Luckily we have an extremely helpful, and knowledgeable person helping my husband. This person has sent emails, and made phone calls, to absolutely every contact he has in USA, including the supervisor who I dealt with in CDOS. At this stage said supervisor has become very unfriendly, and keeps on telling us that it is now out of her hands. I have now also phoned everyone that I can possibly think of, as well as emailing my local Congressman, letting him know what has happened. My husband has been called to the consulate tomorrow, to see if they can somehow all make this happen for him.
All I can say from my experience is that if you have a high number like I did, don't sit back and think that your case is in good hands, because it very obviously isn't. Go to the Embassy/DOS, Consulate, and make your voice heard. Write to your Congressman, and if you only become current in August or September, if you are doing AOS, send your application in earlier. The worst that can happen is that they reject it and send it back to you. All you do then is send it in again when you do become current. That was a mistake on my behalf, even though I had read some forum members recommened that. Don't let this opportunity slip through your fingers, as in the end, it's up to you!

I'm sorry to see how it has been going for you. I hope that your husband gets her approval too.

People in the South are not particularly informed about immigration intricacies as they are not in close contact with enough of them.

On the bright side, you got your approval, and hopefully your husband will as well.

SAGIRL, best of luck to you and your husband.

My previous experience with a CIS receptionist wasn't very pleasant either. She had this attitude that she couldn't be wrong because she had been doing this job for years. Well, it is a job for her, but it's a life-changing matter for me. Seriously I have spent thousands of hours reading the pertinent law plus all sorts of obscure court decisions and CIS internal memos, as well as accounts of fellow applicants on this forum. When it comes to my particular situation, I'm probably more knowledgable than all but the most experienced IO, CO, and immigration lawyers.

If I hadn't insisted upon my understanding of the regulations, this lady at CIS reception would have had us submit a wrong (and costly) application that would have been denied anyway, while all she needed to do was to take us to the CBP on the same floor. She was darn sensitive too, and was offended by my mere suggestion that the rules are different from her understanding. I knew better than to be rude to an immigration officer, but I'm not going to just accept her mistaken interpretation that would cost me money and cause my wife to be out of status at the same time.

Back in my country the CO was clearly green as well. He was puzzled by my H-1B I-797 with attached I-94; he obviously had never seen one before, and had to ask how come I could stay in USA without flying out to get an H-1B visa. He fret over things that's actually very solid, while completely missing things that could have been shaky. At that time it worked for my advantage, so I'm not complaining. But, it could have easily gone wrong.

Now I understand completely why many Americans have little faith in their government. I can tolerate inefficiency, but I can't accept glaring mistakes and sheer incompetency.

Congratulations SAGIRL. I hope things go well for your husband tomorrow.

All I can say from my experience is that if you have a high number like I did, don't sit back and think that your case is in good hands, because it very obviously isn't. Go to the Embassy/DOS, Consulate, and make a noise. Write to your Congressman, and if you only become current in August or September

As a matter of fact, it's not a good idea for anyone with a high CN to opt for AOS and follow-to-join. You took a big gamble, and you're quite fortunate. Most consulates/embasies will not work with a follow to join applicant like they worked with your spouse in your case. You are very fortunate indeed. There's absolutely not much your congress person can do with the follow-to-join portion of the process.

My situation is similar to yours, SAGIRL. The process was close to a nightmare sometimes, but fortunately I was approved last week (the very end of the fiscal year). I had a high case number and was current in July. Of course, I did not think of submitting my application earlier, and now I regret it. Within two months of sending the AOS package, I had an interview at my local USCIS. The IO officer told me that I was going to be approved by the end of the week. Three weeks later (mid September), and I still have not heard from them. I decided to spend every single day scheduling an info pass and talking to an IO. At first they did not understand my worries and told me to stay home and relax. They said that they were waiting for another document from KCC and that they cannot approve my application without it. They were not even able to track the document. I called KCC and they told me that they sent it and it will take up to 2 weeks. I then realized that if they were aware of the deadline, the IO should have sent the request to KCC before scheduling my interview. Anyway, I was lucky to talk to a very helpful IO (after talking to many indifferent ones) who really understood the situation and wanted to help me. She kept calling KCC, and finally located the document. Then she gave it by hand to the IO who interviewed me. I was approved the same day.

During this process, I realized two things. First, it is very important to keep asking and to trust my intuition. Very few people know about the specificity of this process. I have even talked to an immigration lawyer who clearly did not know anything about DV lottery (not even the september deadline) but pretended to know all about it. (later I talked to another one and he said that I could do everything by myself and that he will feel bad to take my money for such a simple case.) Second, nothing bad can happen with winning the lottery. The first lawyer scared be by saying that I might loose my current F1 status if my application does not get approved. He even discouraged me from travelling outside the country even before filing the I485 because winning the lottery is an intent to migrate (that conflicts with my non immigrant status). Luckily, I talked to another lawyer who told me that was not true...

All in all, this forum is the best resource ever.I was not active, but read all the threads. That helped me a lot! Thank you all for your contributions.

Congratulations SAGIRL. I hope things go well for your husband tomorrow.

As a matter of fact, it's not a good idea for anyone with a high CN to opt for AOS and follow-to-join. You took a big gamble, and you're quite fortunate. Most consulates/embasies will not work with a follow to join applicant like they worked with your spouse in your case. You are very fortunate indeed. There's absolutely not much your congress person can do with the follow-to-join portion of the process.

Thank you for your good wishes Sm1smom

I knew all along that our situation was tenuous, and certainly having a hign CN, and having to do AOS, as well as follow-to-join, was not a good situation. However, due to our circumstances, this was our only option. Everyone has their personal reasons as to why they choose, or are forced to follow, a particular DV path. We have been living in USA for the past six years, and what with spending copious amounts of money on immigration lawyers, and various other issues we have had to contend with, this path was our only hope. I went back to college for 4 years in USA, and I redid all my professional qualifications, so that firstly I could remain in status by being an F1 student, and secondly so that I could ultimately work here, as my medical qualifications from my country were not recognised here. My husband was not allowed to work in USA, as I was on a F1 visa, so financially the only way we could make it work for us was for him to return to our country of citizenship. So let me say that I hope beyond hope that it will work out for us, as this has been a very difficult journey. Also, winning the lottery is just the beginning of the journey.

I'm sorry to see how it has been going for you. I hope that your husband gets her approval too.

People in the South are not particularly informed about immigration intricacies as they are not in close contact with enough of them.

On the bright side, you got your approval, and hopefully your husband will as well.

Thank you c1984! I like your attitude. Best of luck to you in your DV journey. Just remember to never give up!

It's a pity that the South isn't well informed as far as the DV lottery process goes, because North Carolina is a beautiful state to live in, and I wouldn't change it for the world. We have been so fortunate in the people we have met here, and everyone has made us feel more than welcome. The only "fly in the ointment" has been Charlotte HOS!