• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Congressional intervention?

What exactly is the congressional intervention, and if I might need it when and how should I request it?
So if I will decide to do the CP, am I guaranteed to have the interview before the dead line?

You are absolutely right, 3 months is borderline short period for AOS. Maybe uscis speeds things up for the late applications, but if you do, put notes to the cover letter, on a separate orange/color pages that them to expedite things with big fonts. You may end up needing a congressional intervention. There are nice/suspense stories from DV2012 threads.

On the other hand CP is usually a slam dunk fast process, if everything is in order, don't be afraid of it. KCC need to schedule an interview for you at US embassy in your country. That will take time. CP Procedures have some differences, like police records, or more strict attention to properly showing your level of education with your high school and above diplomas, and more strict about showing that you have an income to support yourself in the US (If you are grad student with an assistantship that would help with income hurdle I think).

I don't know if starting process here and transferring to consulate could mess things up. You should do some reading about that.

Usually in AOS people get their interviews within 2 months, and 10 days after that to get the GC in the mail. Bt there seems to be some delay lately. But it may not turn out to be the case.

I don't know anyone personally who lost their chances due to time restrictions.

It is a double edged sword. I think it will work out both ways for you. Good luck.

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for all the help and taking time to share your experiences in the AOS process.

I finally went through my Biometrics on Friday 6/7/13, and already received an AOS interview letter to be done on 6/21.
I am stuck in a dilemma, I do not have my original High school certificate, I only have a scanned copy (Although I have already graduated and received my Diploma from the University). I am also currently working FT with use of my OPT. My Original Birth certificate is still in my Homecountry, and would take up to 1.5-2 weeks to receive my mail.

Based on every ones experiences in the Interview process, If you do not have your original High school certificate, Is the Bachelors degree a good enough proof since you cannot start a University without a High school certificate in the USA. I have seen mixed experiences with everyone on the forum. Can anyone share their experience with me if they experience something similar? I would really appreciate it.

How did you handle such situations if you came across this with the IO?

Thank you.

It depends on the IO. If he/she wants to see the original High School certificate and you don't show it, it is 100% right if he/she denies your AOS. Ask someone in your home country to send it ASAP! Use FedEx, DHL, or any other reliable express service.

Pryanik :)

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for all the help and taking time to share your experiences in the AOS process.

I finally went through my Biometrics on Friday 6/7/13, and already received an AOS interview letter to be done on 6/21.
I am stuck in a dilemma, I do not have my original High school certificate, I only have a scanned copy (Although I have already graduated and received my Diploma from the University). I am also currently working FT with use of my OPT. My Original Birth certificate is still in my Homecountry, and would take up to 1.5-2 weeks to receive my mail.

Based on every ones experiences in the Interview process, If you do not have your original High school certificate, Is the Bachelors degree a good enough proof since you cannot start a University without a High school certificate in the USA. I have seen mixed experiences with everyone on the forum. Can anyone share their experience with me if they experience something similar? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

First of all, Congratulations to all successful 2013 applicants and Best of luck to all the pending ones.

I am selected for the DV-2014. I just wanted to know, did any one of you receive a query based on your Birth Certificate? I have posted this issue in DV2014 AOS as well. I am an Indian citizen born in Benghazi, Libya and the only BC I have is the Long Form, Form H issued by the Embassy of India in Tripoli, Libya 10 days post my birth. It lists my fathers and mothers full names with DOB and other info. This was issued at the embassy of india in Libya 10 days post my birth.

Is it necessary to get something else other than above? I can get Libyan embassy in India to get attestation saying that this info is true. But I have no one living in Libya so getting something local from there is a challenge.

Please let me know your experiences around this and suggestions.
Thank you.

That was quick

That was really quick!!!!. I was current in may and on may 30th I did my biometrics and didn't receive yet the interview letter.
If you don't mind ansgwering, when were you current and were is your field office?
As for your question, my understanding is that you have to provide original documents in the interview and if I were you I would do everything in my power to get the original documents to the interview so I won't give the IO any reason not to approve my application on the spot.

Anyway good luck in the interview.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you.

That was really quick!!!!. I was current in may and on may 30th I did my biometrics and didn't receive yet the interview letter.
If you don't mind ansgwering, when were you current and were is your field office?
As for your question, my understanding is that you have to provide original documents in the interview and if I were you I would do everything in my power to get the original documents to the interview so I won't give the IO any reason not to approve my application on the spot.

Anyway good luck in the interview.

I was surprised too as to how quick this happened. Case number became current in May and Field office is in Minneapolis, MN.
I just wanted to know if they IO would understand the situation because I already have my Bachelors and that would be a good enough "proof" to show that I did possess my High school. I just wanted to know if anyone has had this happen to them.

Guys,
I went to to local USCIS office and they strongly told me that you just need to file before September 30, I showed them the sheet I printed from website but they still said their words. It was pretty odd for me, I think that after Biometrics the rest will be done by local offices, I am afraid that if they want to stay on their wrong belief, they treat my case such as employment or family based, so I may lose it!
What is the best thing to do? Can I do or do I need to do anything?

I was surprised too as to how quick this happened. Case number became current in May and Field office is in Minneapolis, MN.
I just wanted to know if they IO would understand the situation because I already have my Bachelors and that would be a good enough "proof" to show that I did possess my High school. I just wanted to know if anyone has had this happen to them.

Hi, I am in the exact same situation as yours. I am also an F1. I have a friend in my home country who said is arranging for a new certificate since my original high school certificate is lost apparently here in USA. I will be getting a certified mark list instead of a duplicate one because it may take a year to get a new duplicate certificate in my home country. I am gonna rely on tat.
I did biometrics on 6/6/13. Still looking evryday in my mailbox for some interview invitation letter. Lets see. Good luck!

Guys,
I went to to local USCIS office and they strongly told me that you just need to file before September 30, I showed them the sheet I printed from website but they still said their words. It was pretty odd for me, I think that after Biometrics the rest will be done by local offices, I am afraid that if they want to stay on their wrong belief, they treat my case such as employment or family based, so I may lose it!

It depends on the IO. If he/she wants to see the original High School certificate and you don't show it, it is 100% right if he/she denies your AOS. Ask someone in your home country to send it ASAP! Use FedEx, DHL, or any other reliable express service.

Hi Pryanik! It looks like you have lots of knowledge about the whole process, so I just wanted to ask you about the original documents that many people here refer to. I understand we need to bring certain original documents to the interview. What are those documents that I must prepare, just in case, besides my birth certificate and high school certificate. I highly appreciate your help.

Hey Fiefia!

There are several documents we are required to take with us during the interview, and the more we take the better just in case we are asked about them. Now some documents are common to all cases but depending on the status you currently hold in the US other documents could also be necessary to take.

Basic documents are originals of: passports with all US visas you've had, birth certificate, high school certificate, DV winner notification letter (the one you get when you input your case online), DOS payment receipt, if you are married then you also need your marriage certificate, joint bank account statements, credit cards statements with authorized user names on them, other bills, lease agreement, joint insurance, and even pictures together.

Other documents vary according to your status: If you are or were a J1 visa waiver of the two years HRR, all DS-2019 and I-20s you've had, pay stubs, an employment verification letter, an enrollment verification from your University in the US, savings, degree diplomas.

It could be that not all of them are asked for during the interview but it's better to have them handy just in case. Hope this helps you!

Good luck!

Hi Pryanik! It looks like you have lots of knowledge about the whole process, so I just wanted to ask you about the original documents that many people here refer to. I understand we need to bring certain original documents to the interview. What are those documents that I must prepare, just in case, besides my birth certificate and high school certificate. I highly appreciate your help.

Thanks a million for your prompt reply, anon123! Your answers are extremely helpful!
just pure luck i was happened to be on the forum after your postings. i rarely come here, but very active and knowledgeable posters here, don't hesitate to repeat your questions if you don't get any answers
Would appreciate if you could answer another few questions- really need your opinion:

- When I applied for GC I indicated my middle name which is actually not indicated in any of my documents, except that they can see my father's name on my Birth Certificate, so do you think it will be better if I keep that middle name on all the forms and explain them everything at the interview and ask to drop it on my GC, or vice versa?
Yes, keep your name consistent everywhere, DV application, documents sent to KCC, AOS application. I assume you are preparing your AOS package(I-485,G-325 A, I-134 etc). However how your father's name factors in your middle name, or lack of your middle name in the certain documents (which you didn't specified) would affect anything, I don't have any experience with. Thank god, I don't have one of those complicated names.Sorry I cannot be any of help here.

- Since I'm F-1 student I had internships only, should I indicate all of them in the employment section of the G-325 A form? I also had an OPT 4 years ago, but it was 1099 Form and not W2, so should I include it also? Yes, all employment history in the last five year should be listed. Internships, any on campus jobs, such as assistantships.

- On I-485 there's this questions on Part 3. A. Where you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer? It was 7 years ago and I truly don't really remember, but I do have my I-94. Should I check the Yes box? Yes, I-94 stamped, so you were inspected. As a side note you haven't left US in 7 years, I assume.

- I am also submitting the I-134 form where my bfriend states that intends to support me, but we are not sure what exactly to write where they ask to indicate the exact nature of the contributions. Just fill out as basically as possible, don't go into detail too much. I did not file I-134 (but I had one ready with me for the interview from a friend, just in case Interview Office demand that my assistantship is not enough, but he did not mention anything) Don't worry too much. You have been able to live here, just show your monetary resources, like bank statement, etc. Your education, prospect of a job are also proofs that you are not going to be a public charge, that's the whole point of I-134, our tax returns, W-2s, employer letters, your degrees, etc.

Thank you so very much again for your time and all the valuable advises. This forum is so super efficient- I am impressed! Many thanks for your hard work, guys!

A

Since you are current in June, if I am not mistaken , hurry and send your AOS package right away, if that's the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

That's a lot of bullsh**t, they don't know what they are talking about. DV rules are VERY clear, if you don't get issued a GC, i.e. if USCIS cannot get a immigrant visa number from DOS, for you by Sept 30, you are history.

There is still more than 3.5 months until Sept. 30. But if you need to push something, keep calling their number, ask ti talk t o level 2 representatives, have them send a message to your field office (which as you mention, takes over the process after NBC. NBC schedules your bio at an ASC, send your file to FO. Somewhere in this timeline, your files at KCC is also requested and transferred to your FO)

Another thing is, before you get your GC, if they run out of visa numbers due to quota limits for each country or they reach 50000, you are history as well. But reading other forums, this probably never happened.

Hi, I am in the exact same situation as yours. I am also an F1. I have a friend in my home country who said is arranging for a new certificate since my original high school certificate is lost apparently here in USA. I will be getting a certified mark list instead of a duplicate one because it may take a year to get a new duplicate certificate in my home country. I am gonna rely on tat.
I did biometrics on 6/6/13. Still looking evryday in my mailbox for some interview invitation letter. Lets see. Good luck!

I was same as you guys, my university back in my home country retained my HS Diploma. I had them faxed it to me before the interview. IO just looked at my bachelors degree, and that was it, he did not ask for it. But as pryanik said, it is up to IO. I think very very few of them might be adamant about it. You can try to reason with them, saying you have a college degree, hoping they listen to reason. As others suggested, have your family fedex it to you, it is worth not to mess up your AOS process imho.

What exactly is the congressional intervention, and if I might need it when and how should I request it?
So if I will decide to do the CP, am I guaranteed to have the interview before the dead line?

Sorry, it sounds big, i just named it that way. If someone's AOS application does not progress fast enough for a timely approval, which is essential for DV based AOS, people sometimes speed up the process by contacting their US representative or senator's office, asking their help. These guys have their own avenues for contacting USCIS, which seemed to get the AOS quickly pushed forward. But it is a last resort thing, you haven't even get your bio done yet, so hopefully you won't need to go through any of that drama.

Rajiv Khanna (owner of immigration.com) have a video post somewhere how to contact congressman's office. This site and similar sites have full of information, but always take it with a little question mark in your mind, not as an absolute thing, because none of us are immigration lawyers (funny thing, sometimes even lawyers are full of BS, based on some posts and my friend's experience). Pryanik777's posts were really informative for me. I suggest you read this forum topicand other DV AOS only forums, top to bottom.

I have no idea how soon KCC can schedule an CP interview for you. I guess you should read other forum threads for that, and never hurt to call KCC. Keep in mind, will you have enough time in your home country to collect everything for CP?

Hey Fiefia!

There are several documents we are required to take with us during the interview, and the more we take the better just in case we are asked about them. Now some documents are common to all cases but depending on the status you currently hold in the US other documents could also be necessary to take.

Basic documents are originals of: passports with all US visas you've had, birth certificate, high school certificate, DV winner notification letter (the one you get when you input your case online), DOS payment receipt, if you are married then you also need your marriage certificate, joint bank account statements, credit cards statements with authorized user names on them, other bills, lease agreement, joint insurance, and even pictures together.

Other documents vary according to your status: If you are or were a J1 visa waiver of the two years HRR, all DS-2019 and I-20s you've had, pay stubs, an employment verification letter, an enrollment verification from your University in the US, savings, degree diplomas.

It could be that not all of them are asked for during the interview but it's better to have them handy just in case. Hope this helps you!

Good luck!

Pryanik,

Thank you so much for the exhaustive answer. I appreciate your time. I am on F1 visa here. And I am actually a DV-2014 winner, but I wanted to ask someone on this thread since it seems like a lot of people are getting ready for their interview. May I ask you another question, please? It looks like the KCC is supposed to send a confirmation email that my DSP-122 was received (this is what other people reported here). I have not heard from them, even though I sent them off my documents on May 9th. Should I be worried about that? Someone said that we can't pay our DOS fee until we receive the further instructions on how to proceed from the KCC. Is this true?

Thank you and sorry again for bothering.

Thanks anon123, Actually I am current for July so I may be in the border! That is the reason I should consider all probabilities, If everything works fine hopefully it takes less than 3 months according to most of experiences I found here.

my AOS cover letter

This was an accumulation of a lot of reading, so I am passing onto posterity :p

My Cover Letter for my AOS, I noticed that IO read this carefully.

Name Last name
Address

To: U.S. Department of Homeland Security, USCIS
Attn: FBAS, 131 S. Dearborn, Chicago, IL 60603-5517
Nature of the submission:
• I-485 ORIGINAL SUBMISSION, adjustment of status application based on winning Diversity Visa Lottery 2013 as principal applicant
• I-765 ORIGINAL SUBMISSION, application for employment authorization (c)(9) filing category, “adjustment of status”
• I-131 ORIGINAL SUBMISSION

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find Form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status to permanent resident based on Diversity Visa Lottery 2013 for Name Last name, and supporting documents, as w ell as I-765, and I-131applications.
I-485 Application to register permanent residence or adjust status
- Form G-1145, E-notification of application acceptance
- Form I-485, filled and signed.
- Payment of $1070 for $985 I-485 fee and $85 biometrics fee.
- Two photos
- Initial and supporting evidence documents
o Diversity Visa Lottery Winner Letter (proof of eligibility for I-485 under (c)(9) )
o Birth certificate and certified translation
o Illinois driver’s license
o Passport ID, renewal, biographic pages
o F-1 visa and US entry stamps pages from passport
o I-20 A-B for proof of legal current non-immigrant status and on campus employment authorization
o Employment and student status letter from University of Illinois
o Marriage certificate and certified translation
o National ID card and certified translation
o I-94 card
o Proof of $660 payment of DV Lottery fee for two adjustment applicants
o E-mail from KCC, confirming intent to adjust status in US
o University and Graduate degrees obtained
o Tax returns for 2012, 2011 and 2010
o W-2’s for 2012, 2011 and 2010
o Pay stubs for the last 6 months; Sept 2012 – Feb 2013
o Form G-325A, biographic information
o Form I-693, medical examination and vaccination record (sealed)​

I-765 Application for employment authorization
- Form I-765, filled and signed.
- Two photos
- Initial evidence and supporting evidence documents:
o Previous EAD card
o Passport ID, renewal , biographic pages
o Passport F-1 visa and US entry stamps pages
o I-94 card
o Proof of $660 payment of DV Lottery fee for two adjustment applicants
o I-20

I-131 Application for Travel Document
- Form I-131, filled and signed (Advance Parole, Part 2d)
- Two photos
- Initial and supporting evidence documents:
o Part 7 – attached letter to explain nature of request based on pending I-485 application
o Passport ID, renewal , biographic pages
o Passport F-1 visa and US entry stamps pages
o Driver’s License
o I-20 A-B for proof of legal current non-immigrant status

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration officer at a later date.

Name Last name

not current in August

Hi guys,

My number is not current in August :( does anybody know what are my chances?

Pryanik,

Thank you so much for the exhaustive answer. I appreciate your time. I am on F1 visa here. And I am actually a DV-2014 winner, but I wanted to ask someone on this thread since it seems like a lot of people are getting ready for their interview. May I ask you another question, please? It looks like the KCC is supposed to send a confirmation email that my DSP-122 was received (this is what other people reported here). I have not heard from them, even though I sent them off my documents on May 9th. Should I be worried about that? Someone said that we can't pay our DOS fee until we receive the further instructions on how to proceed from the KCC. Is this true?

Thank you and sorry again for bothering.

Let me help out from my perspective, but this topic should be moved to DV2014 AOS only forum, I think.

KCC response email is not necessary, or even sending any document to KCC is not necessary (according to KCC) for DV based AOS applicants. DOS fee can be paid anytime before sending your AOS package, or even before interview, because that's one thing IOs ask consistently. Don't be in a hurry to pay DOS fee yet. That's said, as we have been all very worried, like you are, I sent DSP-122 and two photos (with my intention to do AOS in US), and never heard from them for 5 months. I called, emailed, called, emailed KCC for couple of weeks after 5 months, following was the email i got, finally and i put it in my AOS package, but I don't think it made any difference.

Sent: 12/28/12
To: anon123
Subject: RE: Adjustment e-mail not received - 5 months passed

Thank you for your inquiry.
The adjustment of status fee to the Department of State has been paid or indications on your DSP 122 show that you wanted to adjust your status in the US. The payment of the adjustment of status fee indicates to KCC that you are residing in the US and wish to process your case at the CIS. As a result, KCC did not continue the processing your case.

To continue this case to consulate processing, please notify KCC with your request.

CA/VO/KCC
Williamsburg, KY
Phone: (606) 526-7500
Email: KCCDV@state.gov

Privacy/PII
This email is UNCLASSIFIED.​