• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

filling i-485 form

Hey everyone.

I'm filing the form I-485 and i face with some questions. I'll be thankful if you help me.

I had single-entry F1 visa, which was expired 3 month after my entrance to US.
But the date on my I-20 is till 2016.
On my I-94, it is written D/S as expiration date.

-Now what should I fill in expiration date of my current USCIS status in part 1?

-in part 3, there is a place to fill nonimmigrant visa number. the only number that I see on my visa is control number. Are the same?

-In part B. it is said that if you have none family accompanying you, write none. Should I write "none", in all spaces assigned for family name? or just the first one is enough?

-in part 3. processing information, the name of organizations that we where member are asked. I'm student and never be a member of party, society or etc. Is university considered to be an organization to be member or not?

Thank you inn advance.

-For expiration date type: D/S

-Nonimmigrant visa number is the red number on the lower right of the visa. But I have read on the internet that people were also successful using the control number. But the visa number is the red one.

- I would only write none or N/A on the first cell and keep the others blank. Don't need to fill the whole table with nones.

- I don't think you need to mention your school as a third party organization here.

good luck,

Hey everyone.

I'm filing the form I-485 and i face with some questions. I'll be thankful if you help me.

I had single-entry F1 visa, which was expired 3 month after my entrance to US.
But the date on my I-20 is till 2016.
On my I-94, it is written D/S as expiration date.

-Now what should I fill in expiration date of my current USCIS status in part 1?

-in part 3, there is a place to fill nonimmigrant visa number. the only number that I see on my visa is control number. Are the same?

-In part B. it is said that if you have none family accompanying you, write none. Should I write "none", in all spaces assigned for family name? or just the first one is enough?

-in part 3. processing information, the name of organizations that we where member are asked. I'm student and never be a member of party, society or etc. Is university considered to be an organization to be member or not?

Thank you inn advance.

Do you think that an involuntary 11-day overstay after I94 expired but e visa still valid for 3 years would be a problem during the AOS process? That was in 2009 and traveled in and out the country since that time without any question.

advice on what i can do

hello, i was one of the selectee for 2013 dv.
i submitted my forms without the barcode sheet. this is due to network connection problems in my area that made it difficult to upload the barcode sheet. i have it now, so am confused on what to do. please i will be grateful if some one can help me on what to do.

Re-submit the forms/passport photo with the bar code sheet.

hello, i was one of the selectee for 2013 dv.
i submitted my forms without the barcode sheet. this is due to network connection problems in my area that made it difficult to upload the barcode sheet. i have it now, so am confused on what to do. please i will be grateful if some one can help me on what to do.

Since you traveled in and out of the country without any trouble, then there may not be any problem with your AOS. However, you might want to take with you to the interview any documents showing any reasons why that happened.

Do you think that an involuntary 11-day overstay after I94 expired but e visa still valid for 3 years would be a problem during the AOS process? That was in 2009 and traveled in and out the country since that time without any question.

1- What is your case number so I can give you an estimated time?

2- Send the whole thing to Chicago, not to your local USCIS office.

Hello guys, I want to thank everyone who is participating in this forum. It is very helpful

I had another question concerning I 485. So far it is clear that we need to wait to file the I 485 until our number becomes current. Kentucky email provides a link where we can check the status of our number. However, it is little confusing. Can anyone explain that in detail? How do we find out that it is current?

And once we find out that our number is current, where do we need to file the application? Should it be filed to the local USCIS or all will go to Chicago Lockbox Addresses
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:
USCIS
P.O. Box 805887 Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Thank you guys in advance!

Since you traveled in and out of the country without any trouble, then there may not be any problem with your AOS. However, you might want to take with you to the interview any documents showing any reasons why that happened.

Yes it shouldn't be a problem but imagine if at the interview the agent is asking "have you always been in status?" If I answer "no" they're going to accuse me to lie and if I say "yes" the agent will for sure investigate more and I don't want them to make a big thing out of it. My company's layer says that an overstay of less than 180 days is easily pardonable and doesn't make you lose your status.
At that time I told them that I didn't pay attention, I didn't even know the purpose of an i94 card and my visa was still valid for 3 years. They wrote that on the computer.

When the officer asks you the question, get into the explanation right away and let him/her decide whether it's out of status or not (just say the truth). Since your lawyer said it's pardonable, then there's nothing to worry about.

Yes it shouldn't be a problem but imagine if at the interview the agent is asking "have you always been in status?" If I answer "no" they're going to accuse me to lie and if I say "yes" the agent will for sure investigate more and I don't want them to make a big thing out of it. My company's layer says that an overstay of less than 180 days is easily pardonable and doesn't make you lose your status.
At that time I told them that I didn't pay attention, I didn't even know the purpose of an i94 card and my visa was still valid for 3 years. They wrote that on the computer.

Very tricky situation

Hello Everyone,
I am in very difficult situation, and need sincere advice from the members.
Today i found out that my application for DV is confirmed. I totally forgot to check and just while talking to my girlfriend realized to check for DV. My problem is me and my girlfriend were planning to get married in Sept in court in US because of family pressure to get married. I am on OPT until 2014, and she is in her 3 rd sem of MBA. We lived together for 4 years and our families know of our relationship.
Now main question is when should we get married to file the papers together? Is it going to be a problem while interview as we are getting married right before filling papers? And am I too late to file documents to start my process?
Thank you.

dv 2013

Hi everyone. I am new in this forum,and my english is kinda weak, so please dont blame me if i ask stupid questions. I need help with further processing. I was selected for dv 2013 and already got 2-nd letter from KCC. Now i need to send the DV FEE.It is 440 $ right? But i have no idea how to do it and i didnt really understood it from the letter. So if i got it right, i need to send money order of 440 $ to department of us, to put inside the envelope with the stamp and to fill out the paper they had sent me and thats it?and if i need money order, how do i do it? can i go to rite aid and trade money for the money order? Thank you so much! i appreciate your help. one more question. what are the next steps?

status issue

I was selected 2013AF59XXX but my case is very complicated.

I have been living in the US for past 16 yrs on an F-1 visa. Can i apply for an adjustment of status due to the fact that technically I am still in status as USCIS has never made a ruling that I am out of status.Despite the fact I have overstayed my VISA for 10 plus years now.
Also due to the fact all my immediate relatives are naturilized US citizens, therefore consular processing would be placing an undue burden on me.

Hi everyone. I am new in this forum,and my english is kinda weak, so please dont blame me if i ask stupid questions. I need help with further processing. I was selected for dv 2013 and already got 2-nd letter from KCC. Now i need to send the DV FEE.It is 440 $ right? But i have no idea how to do it and i didnt really understood it from the letter. So if i got it right, i need to send money order of 440 $ to department of us, to put inside the envelope with the stamp and to fill out the paper they had sent me and thats it?and if i need money order, how do i do it? can i go to rite aid and trade money for the money order? Thank you so much! i appreciate your help. one more question. what are the next steps?

DV fee is $330/person

Loladvas13

It is I-134, see post 1070 in the dv2012 forum where Nuvf provided the answer and support or his answer

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...-Only/page36&p=2580404&highlight=#post2580404

Thanks Monto64 for the information about affidavit of support. I do have further question about filing I 134.

My wife (in F2 visa, dependent) is a primary applicant, my self (F1 visa, graduate research assistant) and my daughter (in F2 visa, dependent) want to do AOS. You know, dependent does not have authority to work, so my wife does not have income here. The salary I am getting is ~$22500 is only income for our whole family. Federal poverty thresholod for family of 3 is $19,090 (100%); however, 150% level is $28635. In this context, do you guys think that I need to submit Affidavit of support. If so, who can sponsor that? Any US citizen or what kind of relatives?

Any advices would be appreciated!!

I-134 sponsor

Jay2013,

Any US citizen, Legal permanent resident or H-1b holder can sponsor you provided they meet the income threshold. So if for example you have a relative or friend who meet criteria above they can be a sponsor.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strijepop I am assuming you are completing AOS as you are in the US. Next step send $330 to department of state. Follow the instructions and provide self addressed envelope. Loladvas13 if you search this forum has provided details about how to prepare self addressed envelope.
Visit the department of state bulletin and after your selection number becomes current send I-485 package. Part of the package requires you to complete a medical exam with a civil surgeon. The uscis website has a link with civil surgeons in your area/town. I suggest you complete exam 1 month or a few weeks before sending package.

If you review the AOS 2011 and AOS 2012 forums you will get detailed step by step instructions. Invest sometime reading them and you will not be disappointed.