• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2012

I have seen many people who won the lottery in their first attempt. I think the random selection is biased towards that. Does anybody know a person who won the lottery after 5 times for example?

Tow of my friends which I applied for both of them won in DV2002 and DV2005 respectivly, both of them won in their first attempt, so maybe you are right that the random drawing is biased towards that.

Boer, I have also been a student in the US for 5 years now. I believe I will be successful come Sunday. Lets share information on how to change visa status from student to permanent. Are you on F1 or J1?

Boer, I have also been a student in the US for 5 years now. I believe I will be successful come Sunday. Lets share information on how to change visa status from student to permanent. Are you on F1 or J1?

I sent you a PM

Am still hopeful.even if i dont win the wait woz absolutely fabulous

You should be hopeful, and I truly hope that everyone on this forum will be selected.

IMO it is not a real lottery...too many students win, not that this is a bad thing, but I know many middle and older people who enter and most who win are in their twenties....that makes me wonder.

maybe because most people who apply are in their 20s

Some gloomy reality

I personally think I am not going to be selected. And it's not because I am a pessimist or because I think there is a "scheme" by which people get un-randomly selected. The reason is that there are too many applicants and too few selectees for even fewer slots. Hence, my chance of being selected is ridiculously small, almost non-existent.

I personally think I am not going to be selected. And it's not because I am a pessimist or because I think there is a "scheme" by which people get un-randomly selected. The reason is that there are too many applicants and too few selectees for even fewer slots. Hence, my chance of being selected is ridiculously small, almost non-existent.

You're not being a pessimist, but just facing reality. I now feel the same way as the chances are tremendously slim. If my chances were 50/50, then it would have closed the losing gap by far. Well, we all shall see how this will play out come May 1st. Most of us will be disappointed. However, all the best!! 3 DAYS AND 4 NIGHTS LEFT!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not being a pessimist, but just facing reality. I now feel the same way as the chances are tremendously slim. If my chances were 50/50, then it would have closed the losing gap by far. Well, we shall all see how this will play out come May 1st. All the best!! 3 DAYS AND 4 NIGHTS LEFT!!

Yes, we shall see. How many years have you been playing?

This is my 1st time. So i am no doubt very anxious. How long have you been playing?

Oh, actually a lot of people believe that first-timers have a better chance to win. I don't remember exactly how many years I have been playing, but I think it's been at least eight or seven.

Oh, actually a lot of people believe that first-timers have a better chance to win. I don't remember exactly how many years I have been playing, but I think it's been at least eight or seven.
The number of attempts doesn't have anything to do with your chances of winning. I guess it's just a matter of the computer picking your name. Hope this is your year to win!!!!!

The number of attempts doesn't have anything to do with your chances of winning. I guess it's just a matter of the computer picking your name. Hope this is your year to win!!!!!

Thanks, I appreciate it. I also think it's just about being picked and the number of years play no role. But best of luck to you as well. Are you currently in the US?

I can't deny that my life would be considerably easier were I a permanent resident of this country, but to pin my hopes on ~0.1% is madness, pure and simple.

I can't deny that my life would be considerably easier were I a permanent resident of this country, but to pin my hopes on ~0.1% is madness, pure and simple.

Absolutely. Having a green card certainly makes your life easier - hell, it's just a step way from becoming a citizen. But it's certainly a futile attempt if you hope to get it solely through the lottery.

Absolutely. Having a green card certainly makes your life easier - hell, it's just a step way from becoming a citizen. But it's certainly a futile attempt if you hope to get it solely through the lottery.

Dont think anything in this country is easy, even with a GC!

I've also been a student in the US for 4 years, and I desperately, desperately, desperately need this green card. However, when applying there is no option where you can share this information or explain to them your situation. I really don't understand why they made this a lottery and don't decide on a case by case basis. I could have written a killer essay. But now I'm left with a 0.05% chance of a possible life.

It's funny when you think that the US was originally made out of people from different countries coming together, but now they've locked their borders and aren't allowing anymore (deserving) people in. Not exactly sure how is it my fault that my grandfather had more important things to do back home than leave everything and sail to America.

I've also been a student in the US for 4 years, and I desperately, desperately, desperately need this green card. However, when applying there is no option where you can share this information or explain to them your situation. I really don't understand why they made this a lottery and don't decide on a case by case basis. I could have written a killer essay. But now I'm left with a 0.05% chance of a possible life.

It's funny when you think that the US was originally made out of people from different countries coming together, but now they've locked their borders and aren't allowing anymore (deserving) people in. Not exactly sure how is it my fault that my grandfather had more important things to do back home than leave everything and sail to America.

hahaha... at your grandpa :) sounds like we know eachother?? anyways goodluck and forget not your OPT thing.