• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2012

It is not one letter, it is the abreviation of the continent, for example if you see mine is EU wichi is Europe, others are AS for Asia, AF for Africa and also OC for Oceania, hope this is clear. SO your country does not have a letter , you get the letters from the continent which country you apply for.
agreed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies guys. So, if the CN gets a 2-letter abbreviation from the continent, why are there still numbers after the year?
Mine has a number, why not EU as I am in Europe?
We also don't know how the computer gives the CN, in an increasing way or randomly... any ideas?

Few days for the results though...
We can only hope and pray!!!

I believe that they already have the results... Why don't they release them in March as the previous years people used to get the letters in March...
which means the results are there.... God it's so difficult to wait for such a long time...

Let's be optimistic, May 1st is on the way!!!

Thanks for your replies guys. So, if the CN gets a 2-letter abbreviation from the continent, why are there still numbers after the year?
Mine has a number, why not EU as I am in Europe? We also don't know how the computer gives the CN, in an increasing way or randomly... any ideas?

Few days for the results though...
We can only hope and pray!!!

I believe that they already have the results... Why don't they release them in March as the previous years people used to get the letters in March...
which means the results are there.... God it's so difficult to wait for such a long time...

Let's be optimistic, May 1st is on the way!!!
Because it's only a confirmation number and not a Case number which will be assigned to you if you are selected. I think that the computer gives confirmation numbers in the order the applications are recieved (don't know for sure).

Yes, all of us are anxiously waiting to get this over with. This month is dragging!!!

Dear All,

I think it is important to distinguish between the CONFIRMATION number that you received when you entered the lottery online last year, and the SELECTION number you will receive on May 1st if your entry was selected for further processing.

The CONFIRMATION number starts with 2012, and then has a series of coded letters and numbers which probably stand for the date and time you submitted your application. There is no magic as to how many letters or numbers are in your CONFIRMATION number. It is just their particular algorithm for identifying each entry.

If your entry was selected for a chance at a green card on May 1st or afterward, you will find out your SELECTION number. The SELECTION number will start with the year, 2012, then have a two-character code for your region (OC, EU, AS, etc.), then a sequential number which indicates your "place in line" for your region. The lower this sequential number, the better your chances of actually getting an interview.

The SELECTION number is what drives the timing of your interview. You will be referred to a site where there will be "bulletins" issued. Each monthly bulletin will let you know where the "Queue" for your region is at the moment. Again - the lower the number, the sooner you have a chance to be processed.

You may go to the site on May 1st and receive the message I got last year "Your entry has not been selected for further processing." So sad.

Remember, there are only 50,000 green cards. If there are large families in the queue ahead of you, then the green card slots will be used up faster.

Good luck to everyone.

Dear All,

I think it is important to distinguish between the CONFIRMATION number that you received when you entered the lottery online last year, and the SELECTION number you will receive on May 1st if your entry was selected for further processing.

The CONFIRMATION number starts with 2012, and then has a series of coded letters and numbers which probably stand for the date and time you submitted your application. There is no magic as to how many letters or numbers are in your CONFIRMATION number. It is just their particular algorithm for identifying each entry.

If your entry was selected for a chance at a green card on May 1st or afterward, you will find out your SELECTION number. The SELECTION number will start with the year, 2012, then have a two-character code for your region (OC, EU, AS, etc.), then a sequential number which indicates your "place in line" for your region. The lower this sequential number, the better your chances of actually getting an interview.

The SELECTION number is what drives the timing of your interview. You will be referred to a site where there will be "bulletins" issued. Each monthly bulletin will let you know where the "Queue" for your region is at the moment. Again - the lower the number, the sooner you have a chance to be processed.

You may go to the site on May 1st and receive the message I got last year "Your entry has not been selected for further processing." So sad.

Remember, there are only 50,000 green cards. If there are large families in the queue ahead of you, then the green card slots will be used up faster.

Good luck to everyone.

Good explanation Sukie!!

I would say anywhere between 2-4 months, but it really depends on case-by-case basis ( name/background check, how busy is your local FO, local ASC etc). Sometimes it can take up to ~ 6 months. But at the end of the FY they do expedite the case processing.

It is always like this.[/QUOTE

Hi feel, i can see you took the AOS route..in general, like how long does the process take before you get the green card?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say anywhere between 2-4 months, but it really depends on case-by-case basis ( name/background check, how busy is your local FO, local ASC etc). Sometimes it can take up to ~ 6 months. But at the end of the FY they do expedite the case processing.

Thanks a lot for the reply feel

I've got nothing left. I'm graduating soon (in the US), I can't find a job that will sponsor me, and if I don't get that green card, it's back to a country where I can barely speak the language and stand no chance whatsoever of ever getting a decent job. It is hard to describe just how seriously life is over for me if I don't get that green card.

Don't be so pessimistic. Apply for your OPT and look for job. If you cannot find a paid one yet, go volunteer in your field to maintain your status. Volunteering is good for your resume and helps you maintain your status. A year of OPT is a long time, you will eventually find a job.. or win. In any case do not give up!

Cant believe may 1st is only 11 days away!!...does anyone know if when you check the results lets say on the first day and you are not selected, is there a chance of you checking again only to find out that you have been selected? ..as in is there any chance of a NO result changing to a YES?
Good luck to everyone!

Soon...

Cannot wait - only a short time to go! Wish that we all will have happy news to tell soon :) Good luck everyone!

Hi guys! I was wondering when a Case Num. is supposed to be high? Especially for Europe? Or doesn't matter the continent?
How many people are being selected at the first stage? I know that they select more than 50.000 but do we know the specific number?

Thanks in advance!

Just 10 days to go. Believe that since you were able to submit your application, that you will go through to the end. I personally believe I am going to be successful come May 1st when I check. Why? Because even before I applied I set the issue before God and I prayed that through His Son's name, He would make our (me and wife) applications to stand out.

Those of you who are fearing and doubting, take a moment and ask God to intervene on your behalf. Its not too late because its never too late where God is concerned. Pray in Jesus' name and watch God perform a miracle come May 1.