• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

Finally I got IL for August 30 :):)

Salam Mohammed Congratulation i really happy for you

The update for me brother i got my Bio letter in 7/22 for 8/7 but i walk in 7/30 done
then i received my IL in 8/7 for interview in 8/13 and i did my interview and it went very well i will write the details later on but the main concern for her that to see if i was legally in the country since i came and she ask me something i was not expecting proof that i was attending the English school the one grant me F1 visa and she gave me the same appointment letter and she ask me to get proof and comeback today and she ask me to provide her with my sons Birth Certificate (USA born) i came back after 3 hours with proof then she told me i request your VISA from KCC since 8/8 and not arrive yet when it will arrive i will approve it By the way she did not ask me about any affidative support
Today i called KCC and they told me the send my file in 8/15

الحمدلله حمدا كثيرا طيبا

H

I am happy to say ....no more paper work
no more sending applications
no more sending $$$$
no more waiting and waiting and waiting
oh yeah....my mail man is happy i am not stocking him
anymore!

What an adventure and learning process this has been
i am all the more wiser!

I can say i am officially done!

Cheers and good luck to all

Very happy for you, Congratulations! And a lot happier for your mail man as you no longer have to stalk him :D

I am happy to say ....no more paper work
no more sending applications
no more sending $$$$
no more waiting and waiting and waiting
oh yeah....my mail man is happy i am not stocking him
anymore!

What an adventure and learning process this has been
i am all the more wiser!

I can say i am officially done!

Cheers and good luck to all

Hi Oshin,

Quick question, once your GC was delivered did the status of your application on the USCIS website update to something like this -

"The USPS reported that your new card was delivered on XX/XX/XXXX directly to the address we had on file. If you did not receive your card, or have any questions, please call our customer service at 1-800-375-5283."

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a while. Yes, I got the USCIS update as stated, the day after I got my GC.
Congrats to all that are already GREEN :)

Gc

GC in mailbox this morning. :)

I wish good luck for the few winners who are still waiting for their GC.

And finally thank you DV lottery forum. This forum was such an excellent help during my journey.

Hey guys,
we received our GCs and welcome letters today in the mail.
I wish everyone all the best.
I hope everyone on this forum gets green..
Congratulations to all of you who got green already..

Congrats Japakak!

By the way, quick question - are we required to show/provide our employers with a copy of the GC? Or just inform them so they can update the I-9(tax records)? I'm not entirely comfortable providing a copy of immigration related documents to my employer since they're not trustworthy.

Thanks!

Hey guys,
we received our GCs and welcome letters today in the mail.
I wish everyone all the best.
I hope everyone on this forum gets green..
Congratulations to all of you who got green already..

Last edited by a moderator:
are we required to show/provide our employers with a copy of the GC? Or just inform them so they can update the I-9(tax records)?

Thanks!

It never came to my mind but that's a good question. I am on H1B with my current employer. I am going to quit in several weeks anyway, but are our pre-GC work authorization still valid?

It never came to my mind but that's a good question. I am on H1B with my current employer. I am going to quit in several weeks anyway, but are our pre-GC work authorization still valid?

I was unemployed when I got my GC.

But I was told to go to the SSN office to let them know that my status is changed (I haven't yet gone there though). I believe they will change your status in their system and send you a new SSN card (with the same number I believe).

All the best!

Congrats Japakak!

By the way, quick question - are we required to show/provide our employers with a copy of the GC? Or just inform them so they can update the I-9(tax records)? I'm not entirely comfortable providing a copy of immigration related documents to my employer since they're not trustworthy.

Thanks!

Hi kgeorge,
My husband is a research assistant, and he is going to inform his department about his status change and marital status, so they can update the tax records( because green card holders pay as residents). we were paying very low taxes before adjusting status, because our country of citizenship had some sort of treaty with US.Now I believe we will not be able to make use of that treaty..
My husband is also going to notify the international student service office..
I have other questions though...Are residents paying more taxes than non-residents?also does the amount of tax paid differs if me and my husband file for separate tax return?

Hi guys,
now that most of us have received our green cards, questions arise regarding the taxes, social security number and etc..I have several questions, if anyone knows useful info, that would help...
I did not have any social security number before,I applied for it while filing I-485. So what should I do?wait for it, or should I apply directly in person at social security office?
On my husband's pay check stubs, his marital status is written as: married but legally separated..does anyone know how to change that?where to apply?
How do we know if we have to pay state,city or local taxes along with US taxes?
Strictly_analog mentioned in one of his latest posts that once you receive your green card you should close the SEVIS record. does anyone know why is that?
we are expecting our first child, once baby is born,should we notify the employer in order him to update tax records? Might that be the case that we will be given some deductions because of our child?

I would really appreciate if anyone shares info..
BEST to all others who are either waiting for their interview or IL..

Hi kgeorge,
because green card holders pay as residents). we were paying very low taxes before adjusting status, because our country of citizenship had some sort of treaty with US.Now I believe we will not be able to make use of that treaty..

I have other questions though...Are residents paying more taxes than non-residents?also does the amount of tax paid differs if me and my husband file for separate tax return?

Are you talking about income tax or payroll taxes?

My country has also a fiscal treaty with the US, I am here on a E1 visa but I never figured out if I was eligible to pay less payroll taxes. I pay same amount of taxes as any other people in my company. I believe that income tax is the same for permanent residents and temporary residents.
My company hires every year interns from Europe. They're here on J1 visa. They still pay income tax but almost no payroll taxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about income tax or payroll taxes?

My country has also a fiscal treaty with the US, I am here on a E1 visa but I never figured out if I was eligible to pay less payroll taxes. I pay same amount of taxes as any other people in my company. I believe that income tax is the same for permanent residents and temporary residents.
My hires every year interns from Europe. They're here on J1 visa. They still pay income tax but almost no payroll taxes.

Before, when my husband was a nonresident, he was paying only income taxes(federal and state), he was not paying payroll taxes at all. I think payroll taxes are withheld once you become a resident.
So, you are saying that the % of income withheld for income taxes is the same for residents and nonresidents,right? the only difference is that green card holders start paying payroll taxes as well.

I'm not sure but I don't think it is that your are a resident or not that makes you pay less or same taxes. It depends on your visa. I'm on a E1 visa and I pay all taxes, same % as every one in the company, people on h1b also pay all taxes. J1 visa pay only income tax.

Hey guys,

I've been away for while and now I'm back briefly to check on everyone else. Glad to see that more people are becoming green! It feels good to be a GC holder so far. I've gotten an off-campus part-time job and proud to say that I am doing that legally! :D

Just to follow up on some of you guys' conversations ---> Once I got my GC, I updated my records with my employer, which is my university. I don't think it makes a different how much taxes you pay as a resident/non-resident. I believe the difference is that as a resident you are able to claim for more credits when you file for your taxes and get more $$ back.

Uscis case status

Hey guys , i hope everyone is moving on with the case faster at the edge of dv 2012 . In my case I already finished my biometrics last week n still waiting for the interview letter . however, i have some concerns if anyone know about it,

1) i have my case status on acceptance since my application was approved by uscis ther is no change yet n another major thing is my case status only shows steps which doesn't have interview stage . it is on acceptance and further stages which is showing up is a) initial review b) Decision C) Post decision activity D) card production . Is it same with all the dv Aos applicant?

2) I have my I 797 notice of action from Uscis which also has priority date on it from the day they received my application but for the dv lottery winners there is nothing o do with the priority dates it is ratger processed accordingly with case number and eceryone is current now so is that a mistake that they have priority in my case or it is just fir their formalities.
Plz be kind to share ur experiences on this concern thanks and gud luck to all the remaining winners for their approval

Hey guys , i hope everyone is moving on with the case faster at the edge of dv 2012 . In my case I already finished my biometrics last week n still waiting for the interview letter . however, i have some concerns if anyone know about it,

1) i have my case status on acceptance since my application was approved by uscis ther is no change yet n another major thing is my case status only shows steps which doesn't have interview stage . it is on acceptance and further stages which is showing up is a) initial review b) Decision C) Post decision activity D) card production . Is it same with all the dv Aos applicant?

2) I have my I 797 notice of action from Uscis which also has priority date on it from the day they received my application but for the dv lottery winners there is nothing o do with the priority dates it is ratger processed accordingly with case number and eceryone is current now so is that a mistake that they have priority in my case or it is just fir their formalities.
Plz be kind to share ur experiences on this concern thanks and gud luck to all the remaining winners for their approval

You do not have interview stage.further stages are the same so do not worry. once you have your interview, it will show card production,then it goes back to decision then it goes back to card production again...
priority date is irrelevant,all we had priority dates written on our notice of actions, so do not worry it is just the uscis formal way of dealing things...