• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

Hi Makeiteasier,

My interview invitation letter says "Reason for appointment: application for adjustment of status"

I fully agree with your suggestion on signature. Just after I noticed that I won the lottery, I read AOS2011 and AOS2010
threads and copied and paste of many signature to my excel. That definetely helped me to understand what I expect
as a next step.

thanks,

max555

Reading too much...LOL

Hi Makeiteasier,

My interview invitation letter says "Reason for appointment: application for adjustment of status"

I fully agree with your suggestion on signature. Just after I noticed that I won the lottery, I read AOS2011 and AOS2010
threads and copied and paste of many signature to my excel. That definetely helped me to understand what I expect
as a next step.

thanks,

max555

Hehehehe Max! You make me feel like am really reading too much between the lines etc re:interview letter!
By the way, do you know if your file has been transferred from KCC to Field Office? Mine has not :( but there is still 13 business days to go...so will keep my hopes up.

Hi,

I wanted to write about my AOS application process for those who are curious about how it works.

My case number: 2012EU00008xxx
Current city: New York, NY

First of all I want to clarify something that I couldn`t find the answer for before I experienced it myself.

If you are doing AOS you only need the form DS-122 to KCC. They will send you an e-mail with an attached PDF which confirms your intention to do AOS along with DV fee instructions. However YOU DO NOT need to pay the fee before your interview letter. You can time it however you wish as long as you have the receipt at hand at the time of interview. This is for those who are rushing their Fee payment even before sending their AOS packages to USCIS. It is also more logical because you will be sure that your case is accepted by getting your I 797C (receipt that application is accepted).

I have applied for AOS after getting a J-1 Waiver.

Also know that interview dates for DV Lottery winners are highest priority and you will be getting an interview date in 1-2 months after your biometrics are done.

If you want to get your job done faster, do not hesitate to contact USCIS and Kentucky Consular Center. Usually if you talk to them clearly they become more eager to prioritize your request. Example: I received my Dv fee paid receipt 3 days after I send an e mail to KCC.

I don`t remember my exact timeline but from sending ds-120 to getting my biometrics done, it is about 2.5 months in total and now expecting my interview letter.

Also I would recommend AOS over CP for those with a reasonably lower case number. Here is why:

- In AOS you don`t need to prove your financial stability as in CP so you save yourself the trouble to get bank accounts, affidavit of support,etc.
- You won`t be needing official translations of your documents by notary etc. A translation by someone capable of doing so would suffice.
- You can stay in U.S. even if your visa is expired as long as you have your I 797 receipt that your application is received and being processed until you get your greencard.
- You won`t be needing criminal records,etc. from your home country.
- USCIS is not as rigid as consular offices and doesn`t have long waiting lines.

Affidavit of Support

Hi there ! I have a question!
My wife is the selectee and we are both on F1.
Regarding the Affidavit of Support, which form does she need to fill out? Form I-864 or Form I-134.
and do i need a separate one for me ?

thank you

Hehehehe Max! You make me feel like am really reading too much between the lines etc re:interview letter!
By the way, do you know if your file has been transferred from KCC to Field Office? Mine has not :( but there is still 13 business days to go...so will keep my hopes up.

how come you filed your application before your number become current

Filing too early...

how come you filed your application before your number become current

No specific reason... (or may be very many reasons) just not cultivated enough patience ... At that time, I was like "what's the worst that can happen?" then it got to a point where I couldn't delay the process to wait 4 the numbers. Right now I can attempt a reschedule of the interview to delay... But THEY KNEW AM NOT CURRENT WHEN THEY CALLED ME. they can choose to tell me to wait till am current when I get to the interview in about 2 weeks or they can choose to keep going.

Will detail later...

Last edited by a moderator:
Form I-864 or Form I-134.?

Hi
which form do we need to send with I-485
I-864 or I-134.?

a family member is willing to be our "sponsor" b/c we both dont make enough!

please help thanks

I also would like to know the answer to your question.

Hi
which form do we need to send with I-485
I-864 or I-134.?

a family member is willing to be our "sponsor" b/c we both dont make enough!

please help thanks

I'm interested to know the answer to this question too. I have an additional question, does the supporter need to be a relative, or is a friend/room-mate works just fine?

Sponsor

I'm interested to know the answer to this question too. I have an additional question, does the supporter need to be a relative, or is a friend/room-mate works just fine?

I don't remember where I read that someone used a friend/roomie as sponsor.... It's somewhere in this forum. They had no issues after that.

Just found out I was selected on the DV 2012

Hello,

I checked last year during the month of May and June and it said I was not selected for the DV 2012. For some reason I had the urge to check again this past week and I found out that my name got picked at the end of July. I did not receive a letter via mail even though my address is up to date. Great news that I got selected but on the downfall I am a little late on the process. Ive been researching a lot of I still have time and what the process is. Luckily my number is not current until March. I express shipped the DS-122 (indicating BCIS) + barcode + 2 photos to KCC so I still have to wait for their reply.

My question is, do I still have time do file all the necessary documents on time or is it most likely that by the time I am done doing everything the visas might run out?
Also, as I am currently on a H1B living in the US I noted that I wanted AOS on the form sent to KCC. What should be my next step? which one usually takes longer to process?

Thank for all the help.

Not late at all!!

Hello,

I checked last year during the month of May and June and it said I was not selected for the DV 2012. For some reason I had the urge to check again this past week and I found out that my name got picked at the end of July. I did not receive a letter via mail even though my address is up to date. Great news that I got selected but on the downfall I am a little late on the process. Ive been researching a lot of I still have time and what the process is. Luckily my number is not current until March. I express shipped the DS-122 (indicating BCIS) + barcode + 2 photos to KCC so I still have to wait for their reply.

My question is, do I still have time do file all the necessary documents on time or is it most likely that by the time I am done doing everything the visas might run out?
Also, as I am currently on a H1B living in the US I noted that I wanted AOS on the form sent to KCC. What should be my next step? which one usually takes longer to process?

Thank for all the help.

Congratulations (very much...if this is in fact English!) - Congratulations very much! I wish I found out about mine TODAY not last July too!
1. No one received letter by mail. When entering for DV2012 - the website made it clear that there would be no letters in the mail, so nothing got lost.
2. You are NOT AT ALL late...the program just started in October 2011 and will end in September. Only a few have been issued with their GC's so far. Since your number is not current till March, I think you (coincidentally) are doing things just at the right time...!
3. I really think that you do have time...the only other major thing left is your medicals. (assuming you have no police records and have never been arrested in the USA etc)

To the best of my memory, the next would be:
KCC will confirm your intention to adjust status via email that you provided them. For those who do not provide emails, they receive via snail mail.
KCC will also be sending you an original stamped receipt for the $440 (assuming that you sent it, otherwise you will need to send that amount per person)
In the mean time, you can be doing your medicals with a civil surgeon.

By March 1 - am sure you will have your application package ready...there is a forum for AOS step by step...which has more details...

Am happy for you, and welcome to the forum!

Separate Affidavit of Support

Regarding the Affidavit of Support, which form does she need to fill out? Form I-864 or Form I-134.

thank you

Yes, you need a separate one for each person even if it will be from the same 'sponsor'.

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you

If you are already in U.S. and applied for ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS based on DV LOTTERY you are not required an affidavit of support.

Because:

To be eligible for greencard you must have 4 years of work experience

OR

Have a high school/University diploma

These are to be proved/presented so that you won`t be a financial burden for U.S. when you are a resident, therefore no further affidavit of support is needed.

Even if you would like to send an affidavit of support, that person can be ANYONE who is an American Citizen.

Most lawyers will tell you that for DV cases an affidavit of support is not required because those who doesn`t know anyone from U.S. would have been rendered not eligible otherwise.

Not needed if w2 present

If you are already in U.S. and applied for ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS based on DV LOTTERY you are not required an affidavit of support.

Because:

To be eligible for greencard you must have 4 years of work experience

OR

Have a high school/University diploma

These are to be proved/presented so that you won`t be a financial burden for U.S. when you are a resident, therefore no further affidavit of support is needed.

Even if you would like to send an affidavit of support, that person can be ANYONE who is an American Citizen.

Most lawyers will tell you that for DV cases an affidavit of support is not required because those who doesn`t know anyone from U.S. would have been rendered not eligible otherwise.

Agree but only if the dv winner has w2, pay stubs or letter from employer. These are rare to have when in F1 or F2 status.

Thought it was 2 years of experience in a job on DOLabor list?

Though as someone mentioned above....don't show what you haven't been asked for. Just take the whole 30lbs :) of documents with you nicely arranged (and copies are encouraged off the record) and if the only thing they will ask for is your passport, give it to them and end of story...

Hi all,
I wanted to step into this thread so you guys can see my signature with the details. May be it woudl help someone. Congratulations to everyone on winning and I hope everyone will get their green card soon or has already gotten them!

Thanks for sharing...

Hi all,
I wanted to step into this thread so you guys can see my signature with the details. May be it woudl help someone. Congratulations to everyone on winning and I hope everyone will get their green card soon or has already gotten them!

We have very few signatures as of yet, and I personally appreciate sharing yours!

Now, does that mean that you only got an enotification for interview...nothing in snail mail? I never got enotification but only snail mail from FO.

I also notice that you had a previous I140 on file...was this approved or still pending or denied? Was it a concurrent filing or just the I-140?

Thanks.

Questions about information sent to Chicago lock-bx

Thank you for the reply makeiteasier.

I have a couple of other questions. I was looking through the checklist that somebody posted on an old threat of all the things they sent along with their I485 to Chicago lock-box (list below).

Questions:
1. What is the current address for Chicago lock-bx?

2. I checked on the Bulletin and it says For February: SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 775; For March SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 925. Does this means that if my number is more than 775 but less that 925 I can send my I485 along with all the documents on the list starting March 1st?

3. On the list they mention the I-765. Do I need to fill out this form if I am currently employed in the US with an H1B status or would I need another form in order to "keep" my job once I change my status (if everything goes well, finger crossed).

4. Should I pay for the fees after receiving the approval from KCC (I expressed mailed my information on monday so I am waiting for their reply)? Or when should I pay the fees? My understanding so far is that I need to pay the following fess: Diversity Visa Lottery fee ($440); Affidavit of Support Review ($88); $1070 (breakdown: $985; Add $85 biometric fee). Am I correct? Also, from the instructions on the I485 you can send a personal check for the amount of $1070 when sending all the information.

Again, thanks everybody for the help and sorry for the silly questions. I am not familiar with the process at all and would hate to mess it up

COPY OF CHECK LIST FROM PREVIOUS POSTS
----------------------
1. Form I-485 - Application to Adjust Status.
2. Personal check of $1,010 - Filing Fee for I-485 ($930) and Biometrics ($80).
3. Two identical color Photographs.
4. Form G-325A - Biographic Information.
5. Form I-693 - Report of Medical Examination in sealed envelope.
6. Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization.
7. Two identical color Photographs.
8. Copies of Notice of Actions for Employment Authorization - total 3 NOAs.
9. Copy of EADs - total 3 EADs.
10. Copy of DV2010 1st Notification Letter - Selection Letter from DOS, KCC.
11. Copy of Barcode Page from KCC.
12. Copy of 2nd Letter from KCC - Acknowledging intention to apply for Adjustment of Status.
13. Copy of Receipt of AOS Fee Payment of $375 to Department of State.
14. Copy of Passport - Relevant Pages.
15. Copy of Last I-94 - Front and Back.
16. Copies of nonimmigrant US Visas - 5 visas.
17. Copy of Birth Certificate with Certified Translation.
18. Copy of High School Diploma with Certified Translation.
19. Copy of University Diploma with Certified Translation.
20. Copy of Driver's License.
21. Copy of Social Security Card.

22. Financial Details
22.1. Copy of Employment Letter - Confirming Employment and Salary.
22.2. Copy of Recent Paystubs - Last 3 paystubs.
22.3. Copy of 2009 Federal Tax Return.
22.4. Copy of 2009 W-2.
22.5. Copy of 2008 Federal Tax Return.
22.6. Copy of 2008 W-2.
22.7. Copy of X Bank Statements - Last 6 Statements.