• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

What's the typical time for receiving the stamped receipt for the DV AOS payment (the $440) to DOS? From the different signatures around it seems that the typical time is about 2 weeks, but could it sometimes take longer, especially in certain months if they are too busy? At what point would you call them and ask if they mailed the receipt back.

When to apply for AOS

I am still not clear on when to apply for AOS (filling the I 485 package) after reading a few posts. If someone would be so kind to tell me.

I am an F1 student from Europe, my number is EU14XXX and according to visa bulletin i will be current in january.

So my question is, WHEN DO I APPLY FOR AOS? when do i send the AOS package to chicago? is it 50 days before january? or is it on december 29th since i will be current in january?

Send it in January 2nd.

I advice you to wait for your exact current month to send your application. I dont want go into details but some field offices and officers are unaware of this 50 day rule. They will reject your application for early filing if you do it early.

as44xxx - it's good to see you here! You never updated us with your case. How did your interview go? Did you manage to get your case approved before September 30th, 2011? I hope everything is well.

I am wondering how long after the issuing of the visa I am supposed to arrive in the USA? And for how long am I supposed to stay there?

-------------------------------------------------------------
2012EU0002xxxx
7/15/11 NL1 received
8/11/11 forms @ KCC

Seems a bit dead around here, but in case anyone is interested, I got my interview letter today for Dec 14!! Very exciting!!!

congrats

Ocean 3,

Congrats on getting an interview letter. Please let us know how it goes.

In my case, I submitted I485 package as planned just before Thanksgiving.
It has been only a week, but I already feel excruciated by just waiting...

ps. Even though this thread is not "Sticky," we need to get this thread VERY ACTIVE!!

regards,

Max

Congrats!

Seems a bit dead around here, but in case anyone is interested, I got my interview letter today for Dec 14!! Very exciting!!!
By the way,
did your case status or last updated date change in the uscis website after you got the interview letter?

Thanks

By the way,
did your case status or last updated date change in the uscis website after you got the interview letter?

Thanks

No, my case status is still on "initial review".

The interview letter says to bring a state-issued driver's license or ID. I only have an out-of-state license. Does anyone know if that matters? Do I HAVE to have an ID issued in the state I have the interview in?

No, my case status is still on "initial review".

The interview letter says to bring a state-issued driver's license or ID. I only have an out-of-state license. Does anyone know if that matters? Do I HAVE to have an ID issued in the state I have the interview in?

I think any state-issued driver's license or ID should work, it should just be an ID provided by the government.

Also, did the local Field Office send you the letter, or is it NBC that sends you the letter? What does it look like? I know it says to appear in the local field office, but who sends it?
I am just curious because I remember I recommending you sending the application long after I sent mine, and mine is not even here yet. :(

Thanks

I think any state-issued driver's license or ID should work, it should just be an ID provided by the government.

Also, did the local Field Office send you the letter, or is it NBC that sends you the letter? What does it look like? I know it says to appear in the local field office, but who sends it?
I am just curious because I remember I recommending you sending the application long after I sent mine, and mine is not even here yet. :(

Thanks

I think I'm just going to make sure and going to finally get a CA driver's license this week.

I'm pretty sure the letter is from the local field office. The sender address is the field office. Also, it looks different than the biometrics appointment letter which was sent by the NBC. You should be fine, I'm sure you'll get your letter within a week or two at the most!! Maybe your field office is just busier than mine ... I wasn't expecting mine till way later!

Hello

According to DV2011 AOS only thread, duration b/w biometrics and interviews ranges from 0 to 222 days.
One guy with very high number submitted AOS in Oct even though his visa is not current, and he eventually waited till Jun to take interviews. That was why it took 222 days.
Others submitted I485 after the visa bulletin release but still had to wait around 100 days after completing biometrics.

Regarding driver's license, here are my thoughts.
I checked with I485 instruction, but there is no explanation of requirement for driver's license.
So, this is just my guess.
The objectives to take a look at driver's license would be...

+Identify the person with a photo (Then, it may not matter which state issued it)
+Confirm that he lives in US, so he is eligible for AOS (Then, it may not matter either)
+Confirm his current address (Then, it may be important that driver's license has current address)

Many winners in the past said that over-preparation is always better than reactive actions.
So, I think it is a good idea to get CA license before the interview.

best

Max555

Interview Letter

Finally I received my interview letter in mail today! It is for January 13th 2012. Can't wait.

rdada,

Congrats!! In which state do you live? Please share your interview experiences in Jan!

best regards,

Max555

@rdada: Congrats!!!!

@max555: Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It probably would be fine without an in-state driver's license, but I agree, better safe than sorry. Applying for the new DL on Monday. Let us know when you get your interview letter.

0-222 days! Interesting!

Hello

According to DV2011 AOS only thread, duration b/w biometrics and interviews ranges from 0 to 222 days.
One guy with very high number submitted AOS in Oct even though his visa is not current, and he eventually waited till Jun to take interviews. That was why it took 222 days.
Others submitted I485 after the visa bulletin release but still had to wait around 100 days after completing biometrics.

Regarding driver's license, here are my thoughts.
I checked with I485 instruction, but there is no explanation of requirement for driver's license.
So, this is just my guess.
The objectives to take a look at driver's license would be...

+Identify the person with a photo (Then, it may not matter which state issued it)
+Confirm that he lives in US, so he is eligible for AOS (Then, it may not matter either)
+Confirm his current address (Then, it may be important that driver's license has current address)

Many winners in the past said that over-preparation is always better than reactive actions.
So, I think it is a good idea to get CA license before the interview.

best

Max555

0 - 222 days! That is pretty interesting :). For the guy with a high number who submitted in October, I am sure that there was a good reason. At times it is better to submit early and wait 222 days, if there are chances that waiting for your visa number to be available will mean going out of status. As long as something is being processed, waiting 222 days is nothing...much better than going out of status and ruining everything. At least in the end, he still got it - "consolation" :)

Required Documents for AOS - F1 status

Hi all,

I will need to send my AOS package in three weeks (Jan. 1) - I'm a bit confused about the exact documents that I need to send. It is mentioned in another thread that the required documents are the following:

In support of the referenced application, I am enclosing the following:
1. Form I-485 - Application to Adjust Status.
2. Personal check of $1,010 - Filing Fee for I-485 ($930) and Biometrics ($80).
3. Two identical color Photographs.
4. Form G-325A - Biographic Information.
5. Form I-693 - Report of Medical Examination in sealed envelope.
6. Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization.
7. Two identical color Photographs.
8. Copies of Notice of Actions for Employment Authorization - total 3 NOAs.
9. Copy of EADs - total 3 EADs.
10. Copy of DV2010 1st Notification Letter - Selection Letter from DOS, KCC.
11. Copy of Barcode Page from KCC.
12. Copy of 2nd Letter from KCC - Acknowledging intention to apply for Adjustment of Status.
13. Copy of Receipt of AOS Fee Payment of $375 to Department of State.
14. Copy of Passport - Relevant Pages.
15. Copy of Last I-94 - Front and Back.
16. Copies of nonimmigrant US Visas - 5 visas.
17. Copy of Birth Certificate with Certified Translation.
18. Copy of High School Diploma with Certified Translation.
19. Copy of University Diploma with Certified Translation.
20. Copy of Driver's License.
21. Copy of Social Security Card.

22. Financial Details
22.1. Copy of Employment Letter - Confirming Employment and Salary.
22.2. Copy of Recent Paystubs - Last 3 paystubs.
22.3. Copy of 2009 Federal Tax Return.
22.4. Copy of 2009 W-2.
22.5. Copy of 2008 Federal Tax Return.
22.6. Copy of 2008 W-2.
22.7. Copy of X Bank Statements - Last 6 Statements.

But as a student, a lot of these do not apply. For example, Form I-765 (number 6), or number 8 or number 9!!

Also, do I need to provide Bank Statements? I work as Graduate Assistant, would that be enough - I can provide pay subs? How about Tax Return - I've been here for three years, I always filed but I'm not sure if I can find the documents so do I need to do that?

Can someone with same situation (F1 student) help.

Thanks

Makeiteasier

Thank you for your reply! I've read DV 2011 AOS only and DV 2010 AOS only. Some who submitted before Visa bulletin released were sometimes rejected and had to pay for the application fee twice. So, there is a risk to submit I485 before visa bulletin release.

ps. I have waited for NOA for almost 2 weeks since I485 was delivered on Nov 28 (mon)... and have not heard back yet...
It is tough to wait...

0 - 222 days! That is pretty interesting :). For the guy with a high number who submitted in October, I am sure that there was a good reason. At times it is better to submit early and wait 222 days, if there are chances that waiting for your visa number to be available will mean going out of status. As long as something is being processed, waiting 222 days is nothing...much better than going out of status and ruining everything. At least in the end, he still got it - "consolation" :)