• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 winners from SRILANKA Report here

Hi Lasantha....
Thanks yr quick reply... Machan, My all other documents in order.... I only need a sponsor letter.
I have prepared ever things.... I already have check list....machan no one help for sponsor
my bad luck ...:)

Hi Lasantha....
Thanks yr quick reply... Machan, My all other documents in order.... I only need a sponsor letter.
I have prepared ever things.... I already have check list....machan no one help for sponsor
my bad luck ...:)

Hi! Sanjayadine
Good that all other documents are ready. You said you are known to some students in usa. Tell one of them to send a simple letter stating that he/she knows you and few lines of words and mention the address and telephone number in the letter.
That is all you need in the letter,it has to be a simple letter.
Good luck

dv-2011 winners from Srilanka

Hi My friends... Im Sanjaya from Colombo.. I have won DV 2011... & hopping to go for interview on 05th of July with my wife & son... can any one please tell me what is the situ there? also I heard we need a sponsor till we settled... We have good financial here... we have friends there they all with in student visa... the don't have SSN. can anyone help us..

Applied on (e-DV): 26 October 2009
CN : 2011AS00030XXX
1st NL received : 29th May 201
Sent Documents : 15th June 2010
Confirmed receipt : 17th June 2011
KCC Confirmed the interview date : 05th July 2011
2nd NL received : 06th June 2011

Hi sanjayadine.. Welcome to this forum

& good luck for your interview..

Case No : 2011AS00033XXX (CITIZEN OF SRILANKA)
Enter the lottery : 2009 Oct
1st NL Received : 30/05/2010
2nd NL Received : 10/06/2011
Police clearance : done . (13/06/2011)
Medical : waiting (05/07/2011)
Interview Date : 7th July 2011 at US embassy,colombo
Interview successful: waiting
Visa pickup : waiting
POE : Newark,NJ
GC Received : waiting
SSN Received : waiting

Hi Lasantha, I am wondering if US Embassy call our sponsor and get confirmed the authenticity of the letter prior to grant us visa.

What was your experience?

Hi Lasantha, I am wondering if US Embassy call our sponsor and get confirmed the authenticity of the letter prior to grant us visa.

What was your experience?

Hi! Nalin
With my experience us embassy will not call the sponsor(they didn't call mine) US Embassy just need an address and telephone number of a person in usa, that will be your contact address once you enter usa. USCIS office will send your Original Green Card+SSN and other documents to this address. That is why they specifically mentioned address and telephone should be correct.
Note- If we are changing the point of entry(POE),we could change our address and telephone number upon arriving in usa-at immigration office.
We were thinking that us government need to know that we have some body in usa to support us at the initial stage, some thought us embassy need to know how much of money we have in our savings. Actually to see us government does not look for those so strictly.
Infact we have won the dvlottery,its a us government program and they will grant the visa without any hesitation, only thing is they need the original documents what is required at the visa interview to verify.
I don't know about the embassies in other countries, how they will treat the dv lottery winners. There could be some differences in certain countries depends.
But our colombo us embassy is so good, they don't put any one in trouble, long as our case is approved from us visa center(KCC) and all the documents are in place.

Good luck.

My case number is 2011AS00019XXX(Sri Lanka)
1NL received in july 2010(Through Email)
Forms sent to kcc by dhl on 16th of august-2010
DHL confirmed delivery on 18th august-2010
KCC confirmed receipht of forms by 25th of august 2010 through email message.
Police Clearance - Received on 31st October 2010 from us embassy of sri lanka.
I was told by KCC on 17th November 2010 that, my aplication is completed pocessing and waiting for the allocation of visa interview.
Interview date- 10th May 2011 at Colombo(SL) American Embassy.(10/03/2011 received an email from KCC)
2NL - Received on 31/03/2011.
Medical - Completed on 06/05/2011
Visa Interview - Successful(10/05/2011)
Visa pick-up - Collected on 12/05/2011
POE - Los Angeles or New York City.

Hi... Lasantha,

I have asked one of my friend for letter...
see below comment.....

What is correct... What is true.... Please

Machan,

I did some check up online and I found following information. According to them I am not qualify for sponsoring a greencard winner. I am sorry.

usadiversitylottery.com/sponsor-green-card-lottery-winner.php
dvlottery2010.com/dvlottery2010/Do-The-DV-Lottery-Winner-Will-Need-A-Sponsor.php

I also check with the official website and here is the link.

uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/F3en.pdf

It also says that sponser must have financial ability 125% of fedaral income level. As we are students we are defenetely not in that income level. I am sorry machan. just ask your friend again. Ask him whether he can find someone who work in that area to get a letter for you machan. That is the best thing i think. Even I don't know whether Gopa eligible or not. At the moment he also only doing some part-time work and I am doubt that he is at 125% income level either. I don't want you to get disqualify just because of the the underqualified sponsors.

Your friend must know someone who can help you. In newyork there are must be plenty of srilankans he could find for a letter. So ask his ne more time and share this inofrmtaion with him too. I am sorry machan, I wish I was doing a job or something at this time. If that was the case i could have give you the letter. Good luck with everything and I hope you can find someone to sponser you.

Also don't give any of your financial or any other information to any of the websites other than official ones. Official sites are usually .gov

also I don't is that the Prabath's email or not. You better facebook him.

thatte

Hi! Nalin
With my experience us embassy will not call the sponsor(they didn't call mine) US Embassy just need an address and telephone number of a person in usa, that will be your contact address once you enter usa. USCIS office will send your Original Green Card+SSN and other documents to this address. That is why they specifically mentioned address and telephone should be correct.
Note- If we are changing the point of entry(POE),we could change our address and telephone number upon arriving in usa-at immigration office.
We were thinking that us government need to know that we have some body in usa to support us at the initial stage, some thought us embassy need to know how much of money we have in our savings. Actually to see us government does not look for those so strictly.
Infact we have won the dvlottery,its a us government program and they will grant the visa without any hesitation, only thing is they need the original documents what is required at the visa interview to verify.
I don't know about the embassies in other countries, how they will treat the dv lottery winners. There could be some differences in certain countries depends.
But our colombo us embassy is so good, they don't put any one in trouble, long as our case is approved from us visa center(KCC) and all the documents are in place.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the reply Lasantha

Any US citizen or LPR can sponsor his/her relative, migrating to US provided that sponsor submit an Affidavit of support to the US government, which is a legal binding. This affidavit confirms that the new commer is not being 'public charge' in the USA. If so, the sponsor is liable for that public charge. This legal binding is valid until the new commer becomes a US citizen. Sponsor should be above the 125% of poverty level to be entitled to submit an affidavit of support.

However sponsoring a DV lottrey winner is different case where US embassy in Colombo asks a letter from anybody who is legaly live in US at present. This doesn't necessarily mean that Embassy can not ask the affidavit of support from a dv selectee, that is their discretion. At the same time I beleve that sponsor letter from US citizen is stronger than LPR and LPR is better than someone with student or temporary visa.

Problem is when we ask a sponsor letter from someone in US they think it is the affidavit of support and get frightened unless we explain this disparity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi... Lasantha,

I have asked one of my friend for letter...
see below comment.....

What is correct... What is true.... Please

Machan,

I did some check up online and I found following information. According to them I am not qualify for sponsoring a greencard winner. I am sorry.

usadiversitylottery.com/sponsor-green-card-lottery-winner.php
dvlottery2010.com/dvlottery2010/Do-The-DV-Lottery-Winner-Will-Need-A-Sponsor.php

I also check with the official website and here is the link.

uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/F3en.pdf

It also says that sponser must have financial ability 125% of fedaral income level. As we are students we are defenetely not in that income level. I am sorry machan. just ask your friend again. Ask him whether he can find someone who work in that area to get a letter for you machan. That is the best thing i think. Even I don't know whether Gopa eligible or not. At the moment he also only doing some part-time work and I am doubt that he is at 125% income level either. I don't want you to get disqualify just because of the the underqualified sponsors.

Your friend must know someone who can help you. In newyork there are must be plenty of srilankans he could find for a letter. So ask his ne more time and share this inofrmtaion with him too. I am sorry machan, I wish I was doing a job or something at this time. If that was the case i could have give you the letter. Good luck with everything and I hope you can find someone to sponser you.

Also don't give any of your financial or any other information to any of the websites other than official ones. Official sites are usually .gov

also I don't is that the Prabath's email or not. You better facebook him.

thatte

Hi! sanjayadine
I can understand your situation and what you are facing at the moment.
What Nalin has mentioned in the posting is absolutely right, dv lottery winners case is different. I think your friends must be thinking of affidavit support i-134 forms which has to be approved by a us citizen only.

In our case as a dvlottery winner and colombo us embassy requires a simple letter with correct address and telephone number of a person living legally in usa.
I think best thing for you to go to colombo us embassy-consular section and ask clearly about this matter. They will give you the right answer.
Visiting hours of consular section is 13:00hrs-16:00hrs monday to friday.

God will help you, keep faith always.
good luck

Brothers... I have Que.... I have no GCE O/L Maths pass.... But i have 3 years vocational training & 7 years working experience
It will cause for rejects my visa..... ?????

According to the US embassy in Sri Lanka, those Sri Lankan people who want to participate (living abroad too can send their entries through E-DV) must have Six passes in the GCE examination including the compulsory subjects or must have 2 years of work experience within the last five years in a profession that requires at lest two years of training or experience to perform it. That job must be approved by the American DOL for the visa lottery according to the DV Lottery instructions.

Brothers... I have Que.... I have no GCE O/L Maths pass.... But i have 3 years vocational training & 7 years working experience

According to the US embassy in Sri Lanka, those Sri Lankan people who want to participate (living abroad too can send their entries through E-DV) must have Six passes in the GCE examination including the compulsory subjects or must have 2 years of work experience within the last five years in a profession that requires at lest two years of training or experience to perform it. That job must be approved by the American DOL for the visa lottery according to the DV Lottery instructions.

What is your appx. CN? when is the Intvw.?

a) 'Sponsor' Letter.

ppl who may want to give you a letter DO NOT have to worry about 125% income etc. It comes to play only if they are signing an i-134. CMB do not normally ask for i-134, you just go prepared with your own 'assets' info. That letter in fact is NOT a 'sponsor' letter. The emb. just require you to have a letter from a 'friend or family' currently in US who would just say they will help you to settle down once in US, to find an apt. and a job etc. It has NO legal implications/consequences. Just that the person is 'known and ready' to assist you. They do not have to give any income/emp. info etc. Just their full name/address/current status etc.

b) O/L Math !

'May' be a bummer!

cpl years back I remember a SL forum member here said he spoke to cpl DV winners he met at embassy who got rejected 'cos they did not have O/L math (and/or 1 st language). Job only SL winners MUST have O/L math AND 1st lang. passes, that was my understanding. PM here the username 'fery' or 'ferry' and see whether you could get more info on this.

Although it is said in 'paper', DV qualification based on job only is very hard per what I have read in this forum from SL and other countries. BUT it is the CO who has the final say taking into consideration ALL your other education and job exp. etc., so you will have to take that 'chance'. But to know the outcome you cannot help but pay all the fees, do medicals and FACE the intvw. They WILL NOT give you a 'proper' answer beforehand for sure.

Do you have other family too going to intvw w/you? my advice (depending on when you have the intvw.) is to go talk to embassy and arrange for you as the principal winner to have your intvw. first and see whether you qualify. then pay for the other family. I know that at the yr end they discourage split intvws., but it is not something impossible for them to do, so talk and see. This is IF YOU want to save the disappointment of loosing money.

Hope this helps.

Best!

I feel sorry about me..... Guys but dv entry eligible list saying 6 pass of gce ol inc 1st lang & maths or 2 years vocational training & 5 years work experience.....

I feel sorry about me..... Guys but dv entry eligible list saying 6 pass of gce ol inc 1st lang & maths or 2 years vocational training & 5 years work experience.....

Well, you need to do a close assessment of what you have. 'cos your 3yr edu + 7 yr exp 'may' hold a way out for you.

a) The 3 yr Voc. edu. you have, is it 'very specific' to the job you do (for most of that 7 yrs) or to that job sector?

b) Do you see a specific job (or very close job sector) in the DoL website , zone 4 or 5 with a SVP 7 or better?
(follow the instructions in page 8 of this link to do this assessment http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV-2011instructions.pdf)

If the answers are No/may be close/not really........then the prospects are bleak.

If yes or very close, then you may have a chance.

Do it and see for yourself.
If you give some more specific background info, we may be able to help that your assessment is correct or not.

Best!

PS: Having said the above, I still have a doubt on what the Colombo embassy seeks from job only apps. (you need to go talk and clarify that)
One can flunk the O/L by failing several subjects. Embassy seems to hold that, if you have no O/L (overall) but job only for DV....still you MUST have Math and 1st Lang.

dv-2011 winners from Srilanka

Hi sanjay..

Best luck your interview,,

Srilanka embassy ask math pass is necessary.. However . The consular officer will accept your qualification at the interview time . So ..Please summit your leavinbg certificate with your all educational and working experience certificates at the interview time... ..The consular will decide your eligibility at your interview time...

Case No : 2011AS00033XXX (CITIZEN OF SRILANKA)
Enter the lottery : 2009 Oct
1st NL Received : 30/05/2010
Forms back to KCC : 04/07/2010
KCC received : 28/07/2010
2nd NL Received : 10/06/2011
Police clearance : done . (13/06/2011)
Medical : waiting (05/07/2011)
Interview Date : 7th July 2011 at US embassy,colombo
Interview successful: waiting
Visa pickup : waiting
POE : Newark,NJ
GC Received : waiting
SSN Received : waiting

Hi friends,

Thanks for your valuable reply.Still i am struggling to find job & apartment in USA.They are not giving an apartment without job.They need credit history.I moved to michigan.If anybody having contacts to find even odd job pls send me mail.my email is daminegoda@gmail.com.This will be great help.

thanks lasantha,I am living in Michigan,Royal oak.even part time job also difficult to find.I will keep my faith since I have nothing to do.tc

Hi madu,

I am staying in michigan.I spent one & half month in texas.There were no job opportunity.then I moved to michigan.Bcs one of my friend helped me to find an apartment,but still no job.f............. USA.fedup with this.

Don't get disapointed. I came to USA in last Novmber with my family and stayed in Staten Island without a job for 1.5 months and moved to Texas and stayed there for 1 month. I found a job here on 24th February almost 3.5 months after arriving to USA. Don't look for a better job at the begining , try to do anyjob whatever you find. Most of the gas stations looks for Sri Lankan people as cashiers and the owners rely sri lankan people. Try to find at least such a job first and find something to live.

By the way where do you stay ?

thanks lasantha,I am living in Michigan,Royal oak.even part time job also difficult to find.I will keep my faith since I have nothing to do.tc

Hi! Dulanga
Don't worry friend. Keep your fingers crossed, i am sure something will work out soon. Do not disappoint, god will help you soon. We all pray for you.
We all will be strangers in usa, as its a new beginning of our life. We all have to be ready for any circumstances.
Our life in USA will be from stretch,its a new beginning.

God bless you,
My case number is 2011AS00019XXX(Sri Lanka)
1NL received in july 2010(Through Email)
Forms sent to kcc by dhl on 16th of august-2010
DHL confirmed delivery on 18th august-2010
KCC confirmed receipht of forms by 25th of august 2010 through email message.
Police Clearance - Received on 31st October 2010 from us embassy of sri lanka.
I was told by KCC on 17th November 2010 that, my aplication is completed pocessing and waiting for the allocation of visa interview.
Interview date- 10th May 2011 at Colombo(SL) American Embassy.(10/03/2011 received an email from KCC)
2NL - Received on 31/03/2011.
Medical - Completed on 06/05/2011
Visa Interview - Successful(10/05/2011)
Visa pick-up - Collected on 12/05/2011
POE - NEW YORK- New York City.