• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Winners from Kenya Report Here!

SUCCESSFUL
Hi all, have been out of this for sometimes - my phones refused to access the site.
Anyway, our interview was yesterday 12th and the questions were very few and simple -
The CO asked us to swear that we'll tell the truth
He asked the date of our marriage - told him the date and when we registered it
When did you pay the dowry? - told him and added that I have not paid it fully
When was your daughter born? - told (he noted I was the one answering the question and he switched to my wife who's the winner?
Which school did you attend - answered
In which grades did you perform best - she answered
In which did you perform poorly - answered
He then asked how we intend to suppor ourselves in the states - answered we intend to be hosted by our sister at this point i told him we want to change the host from my younger to elder sister - I gave him the address (By the way they didnt change it - the envelopes we were given still have the younger sister's address - though its not a big issue)
He pulled a green paper and confirmed our visas to be collected today at 2.00pm
THAT SIMPLE. To all the others who have not attended, wish you all the best. @Valvin, congrats for the success - we sat on the same bench yesterday and today though we dont know each other.

congratulation.....you made it.......we are in the same boat..........

congratulation.....you made it.......we are in the same boat..........
To all who have received there visa this week cogras.Those planning to travel soon safe safari again.

I just have 1 querrry,my host was advicing me not to apply for international driving licence,that they dont convert it nowdays,i need advice is this the true.if so then how will i get my US driving licence,coz i want to start driving when i get there because everybody in my house will be extra busy nobody to drive me around.

God is good. We got it! Thanks alot to the input of my fellow forumites. Got to usa embassy at 11.55am. Our interview window at 16.00 hrs. Lasted 2 minutes.
We r 2 pickup tomorow at 14.00 hrs

To all who have received there visa this week cogras.Those planning to travel soon safe safari again.

I just have 1 querrry,my host was advicing me not to apply for international driving licence,that they dont convert it nowdays,i need advice is this the true.if so then how will i get my US driving licence,coz i want to start driving when i get there because everybody in my house will be extra busy nobody to drive me around.

Hi Nellimah2,

Congrats on your success, ok if your host tells you so please don't get it coz ul waste yo money for nothing, it also depends on the state you are going to, am in California, and when i asked the DMV guys if i can use my Kenyan and International DL, they sed no it ain't allowed no mo i had to apply for a new DL. The process is not long, you jus go to the DMV offices apply for State ID which is 30$ and DL which is 25$ then ul be the one to decide when to take the tests. you can do it the same day if ur ready, but i recommend you just study the Drivers handbook n try driving around first before doing the test cz trust mi huku sio like home, driving can be a challenge esp coming from not following traffic rules to strict rules, hehe. Till today am yet to understand y i have to drive according to a speed limit n not slower...kuna so many things. But the test ain't hard, the written test is just normal stuff n the drive test daent take more than 15 mins. so ul be good. just come, n b patient usiharakishe mambo then u fail, but gud thing they give you three chances to re-do n the give u a learners permit for one year so u have ample time to learn. so all the best Nellimah2. n welcome to the States.

God is good. We got it! Thanks alot to the input of my fellow forumites. Got to usa embassy at 11.55am. Our interview window at 16.00 hrs. Lasted 2 minutes.
We r 2 pickup tomorow at 14.00 hrs

Thank you God for the success of everyone.Cogras wakanu and all the best.

Hi Nellimah2,

Congrats on your success, ok if your host tells you so please don't get it coz ul waste yo money for nothing, it also depends on the state you are going to, am in California, and when i asked the DMV guys if i can use my Kenyan and International DL, they sed no it ain't allowed no mo i had to apply for a new DL. The process is not long, you jus go to the DMV offices apply for State ID which is 30$ and DL which is 25$ then ul be the one to decide when to take the tests. you can do it the same day if ur ready, but i recommend you just study the Drivers handbook n try driving around first before doing the test cz trust mi huku sio like home, driving can be a challenge esp coming from not following traffic rules to strict rules, hehe. Till today am yet to understand y i have to drive according to a speed limit n not slower...kuna so many things. But the test ain't hard, the written test is just normal stuff n the drive test daent take more than 15 mins. so ul be good. just come, n b patient usiharakishe mambo then u fail, but gud thing they give you three chances to re-do n the give u a learners permit for one year so u have ample time to learn. so all the best Nellimah2. n welcome to the States.

Thanks dia,this is helpful information then i gaze i just need to do my normal driving and make sure am good so that when i get there i will apply afresh.Am going to Atlanta Georgia and i think they also changed there rules on converting the International DL.Thanks much i make sure i study the handbook powa.coz kenya kuna mchezo mob na driving.I ope ur getting on well.Pliz tell me anything i need to do before coming.

Congrats

Thanks for your concern olyn - was successful! Will keep in touch - hoping to travel by the end of this month

@ Ngugimuturi congrats too.we even walked together but u branched to KTTC,,please inbox me your e-mail we 'll keep in touch. all others still waiting success.Am now shopping for airfare to NJ, anyone with an idea on cheapest please?

We got visa!

As I told you guys earlier, my wife's visa appointment was today, the very last day. I am happy to tell you that we got the visa. It was a 5-minute thing.

And its funny KCC sent me my 2nd NL for DV2012; my appointment is on the 28th Nov 2011. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we don't need it! Tomorrow we are picking our visas.

Can a dependant travel to the US before the principal applicant?

Sometime back I asked this question to the forum; I even asked the Nigerian and Ghanian forums. But i didnt get a definite answer as what is possible and what isn't. My wife is the principal applicant but we are planning to have me travel first and her and the son to follow later; is this possible? Now that most of the members in the forum have travelled there, perhaps you are in a better position to provide me with a good answer?

As I told you guys earlier, my wife's visa appointment was today, the very last day. I am happy to tell you that we got the visa. It was a 5-minute thing.

And its funny KCC sent me my 2nd NL for DV2012; my appointment is on the 28th Nov 2011. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we don't need it! Tomorrow we are picking our visas.

Can a dependant travel to the US before the principal applicant?

Sometime back I asked this question to the forum; I even asked the Nigerian and Ghanian forums. But i didnt get a definite answer as what is possible and what isn't. My wife is the principal applicant but we are planning to have me travel first and her and the son to follow later; is this possible? Now that most of the members in the forum have travelled there, perhaps you are in a better position to provide me with a good answer?

congratulation............................

the principal applicant has to enter usa the first time with the beneficiaries(spouse, children if any).
the beneficiary cannot enter usa before the principal applicant (this is valid only for the first entry), but once the greencard is activated ,this condition is no more applicable.

there is an annotation on your DV visa(under the passport number) which says:
VALID ONLY IF ACC/FTJ FATHER/MOTHER/SPOUSE
that means your visa is valid only if you enter usa accompagnied by the principal applicant (your wife in your case).

@ Ngugimuturi congrats too.we even walked together but u branched to KTTC,,please inbox me your e-mail we 'll keep in touch. all others still waiting success.Am now shopping for airfare to NJ, anyone with an idea on cheapest please?

Gosh, I thought of it later - I could have asked you (was soo tense the first day and soo happy the next day mpaka hatungeongea. Am also shopping for the fares but have not yet concluded, Qatar airways is the cheapest so far I have got but we are not planning to use it, its taking too much time - 8 hours (connecting) and bearing in mind my daughter's hyperactivity (like you saw her) its stressful sitting for all those hours. Anyway if either gets first lets update each other.
By the way people were still going for interviews even today 16th, I know one guy who's there right now. Will inbox you mara pap

USA entry

@scarnam congrats!

@forumites: pls assist: i want to travel to usa first hopefully next week for exactly 2 months without my family, then return to kenya by november 30th, then send out my wife and two kids who were under me as the principle applicant. will they be allowed in as i wont be there in the usa then but in kenya? please let me know.please

@scarnam congrats!

@forumites: pls assist: i want to travel to usa first hopefully next week for exactly 2 months without my family, then return to kenya by november 30th, then send out my wife and two kids who were under me as the principle applicant. will they be allowed in as i wont be there in the usa then but in kenya? please let me know.please

NO. they have to enter with you until they have their green cards.

Gosh, I thought of it later - I could have asked you (was soo tense the first day and soo happy the next day mpaka hatungeongea. Am also shopping for the fares but have not yet concluded, Qatar airways is the cheapest so far I have got but we are not planning to use it, its taking too much time - 8 hours (connecting) and bearing in mind my daughter's hyperactivity (like you saw her) its stressful sitting for all those hours. Anyway if either gets first lets update each other.
By the way people were still going for interviews even today 16th, I know one guy who's there right now. Will inbox you mara pap

@ngugimuturi i thot of it later too.thanks i'll try n book for qatar. have inbox u ma e-mail too.

congratulation............................

the principal applicant has to enter usa the first time with the beneficiaries(spouse, children if any).
the beneficiary cannot enter usa before the principal applicant (this is valid only for the first entry), but once the greencard is activated ,this condition is no more applicable.

there is an annotation on your DV visa(under the passport number) which says:
VALID ONLY IF ACC/FTJ FATHER/MOTHER/SPOUSE
that means your visa is valid only if you enter usa accompagnied by the principal applicant (your wife in your case).

I appreciate for the above information coz we had planned the same way.My wife is the principal applicant.does it apply to us too since there is nothing written on annotation at all the 3 visas -my wife's,mine and my daughter?

gosh am getting confused now about who is supposed to go when,i thought the beneficiary can join the principal applicant later,it was even specified on the forms we filled,can somebody please help and clarify this,am the principal applicant and am planning to go first,then my beneficiary who happens to be my husband will follow later,is this in order, that's what i was meant to believe.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey all

i see all is well in the house.

@Scarnan, Valvin, ngugimuturi, wakahu Snr.

congrats! its all as we had hoped.Welcome to America!

well we arrived in america safely.travellled by Qatar airlines via Doha. Though long journey, its nice.

it been great week in US. met alot of kenyans even a dinnner to welcome us., went to a kenyan church today!

in terms of jobs every one i've met so far thinks missouri is a good state and jobs are there if you're willing to start low n work hard your way up.

we'll go to the ssn office tomorw. we picked the driving guide .

all the best.

gosh am getting confused now about who is supposed to go when,i thought the beneficiary can join the principal applicant later,it was even specified on the forms we filled,can somebody please help and clarify this,am the principal applicant and am planning to go first,then my beneficiary who happens to be my husband will follow later,is this in order, that's what i was meant to believe.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The principal applicant can enter first and the beneficiaries can follow so long as its before the visa expires. if you look closely you'll see the visas are notated with stars, one star for the principal and two stars for dependants. Beneficiaries CANNOT preceed the principal

oh no not again,now which is which,am asking again,can my beneficiary follow me later?am getting confusing answers,some say i have to travel with my beneficiary ,others say they can follow later,am the principal applicant and i want to travel first.is this ok,please help.