• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

I still remember it too....good things happen to good people...eventually!!!! You waited and we waited and by God's will good things will happen to all of us.

ssj1, you still remember my phrase from couple weeks ago....
I promise to reveal my gender after I'm done with the process...

F1 visa student

Hi guys I've been reading a lot in this forum and I found enormous amounts of useful info.. the thing is that I was one of the selected this year on 15th of July, but from then on it got complicated. Nobody couldn't give me any good info. The guy from the USCIS office said what is DV lottery - what do you mean you are one of the selected? and after calling other people, they told me to fill up form i485 and to send it now because visa was available for me... Can you imagine what it would've happen if I did that, furthermore the numbers were for the dv2011 not 2012. Anyways everywhere I went after was refering me to go to the USCIS office for more info. Ridiculous...
After a lot of research and callings and this forum of corse I found sort of what the steps are. I know I have to send DSP 122 to the KCC and then pay the $440 and then wait for my visa number to become available and then to file i485.
The thing is that I want to know all the details how and what to send, and what to expect from them in what time period. I read a lot of posts here but it seems like you guys all know the basics and you go from there, so nowhere, or at least I couldn't find it, is explained detailed steps of how to process, and what the abbreviations you guys use mean.
I would be the most grateful person if somebody explain to me "the dummy" style the process of AOS for dv lottery winner.
And also a very important question I have - when do the immigration understands that you are in process or you are taking steps to AOS? Because I have this issue - my F1 expires the end of this 2012 year and I am going to apply for my OPT... since my number is high eu26*** visa maybe would be available in may or june, so I will have to take the OPT before that, but if I send the DSP 122 and pay the DOS $440 I think I am already registered as in process for AOS, before I even file the i485, so it is complicated - I don't know should I wait till january when I get my OPT or send the DSP 122 now and wait to pay DOS in january?
And last question- I saw on many people's signatures the process they've been through during AOS and I've noticed that most of you guys sent the i485 AOS month or two before the beginning of the month that the certain number is available. And as far as I read in USCIS site they say that if you file and a visa is not available immediately for you you will be denied. But I noticed that they sent it as soon as they understood that they are current for the month after. SO basicly I want to know - Can you file as soon as you understand you are current from the visa bulletin, cause they give you always for the month and next month in advance even though your number is still not available for the month you are filing, or you should wait till the first day the month with your number is on? I noticed the tendency people to file earlier and if it's possible this will be great for me, considering the fact I would be extremely pressed by the time next year!
I thank dearly to whoever respond with information about my questions and I am very sorry for the gigantic post, but I needed to tell you everything in order to get help.
Thank you!

I asked in my post also, but I happen to notice that you as44*** are current for september , and you filed your i485 in July... so basicaly you can file as soon as you understand in advance? Because somebody told me that you need to wait till the moth begins, Hence - 1st of september you can file... so this is not true right? Thank you, and good luck!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
if your case number are current in July, you most likley sent your applications in mid May because thats when the advanced notification of July case numbers of the visa bulleting was out and thats when you know the visas are avilable for you in JULY.

Last edited by a moderator:
All your questions were discussed in full detail 100 times.
Read our forum from page 1 as this is the stage you are at....
Since you have tons and tons of time....you can do it slowly or fast depends on your time and how curious you are. Once you read all 217 pages...trust me, you will know every single step at least as good as I know if not better!
And you will appreciate doing that.

Hi guys I've been reading a lot in this forum and I found enormous amounts of useful info.. the thing is that I was one of the selected this year on 15th of July, but from then on it got complicated. Nobody couldn't give me any good info. The guy from the USCIS office said what is DV lottery - what do you mean you are one of the selected? and after calling other people, they told me to fill up form i485 and to send it now because visa was available for me... Can you imagine what it would've happen if I did that, furthermore the numbers were for the dv2011 not 2012. Anyways everywhere I went after was refering me to go to the USCIS office for more info. Ridiculous...
After a lot of research and callings and this forum of corse I found sort of what the steps are. I know I have to send DSP 122 to the KCC and then pay the $440 and then wait for my visa number to become available and then to file i485.
The thing is that I want to know all the details how and what to send, and what to expect from them in what time period. I read a lot of posts here but it seems like you guys all know the basics and you go from there, so nowhere, or at least I couldn't find it, is explained detailed steps of how to process, and what the abbreviations you guys use mean.
I would be the most grateful person if somebody explain to me "the dummy" style the process of AOS for dv lottery winner.
And also a very important question I have - when do the immigration understands that you are in process or you are taking steps to AOS? Because I have this issue - my F1 expires the end of this 2012 year and I am going to apply for my OPT... since my number is high eu26*** visa maybe would be available in may or june, so I will have to take the OPT before that, but if I send the DSP 122 and pay the DOS $440 I think I am already registered as in process for AOS, before I even file the i485, so it is complicated - I don't know should I wait till january when I get my OPT or send the DSP 122 now and wait to pay DOS in january?
And last question- I saw on many people's signatures the process they've been through during AOS and I've noticed that most of you guys sent the i485 AOS month or two before the beginning of the month that the certain number is available. And as far as I read in USCIS site they say that if you file and a visa is not available immediately for you you will be denied. But I noticed that they sent it as soon as they understood that they are current for the month after. SO basicly I want to know - Can you file as soon as you understand you are current from the visa bulletin, cause they give you always for the month and next month in advance even though your number is still not available for the month you are filing, or you should wait till the first day the month with your number is on? I noticed the tendency people to file earlier and if it's possible this will be great for me, considering the fact I would be extremely pressed by the time next year!
I thank dearly to whoever respond with information about my questions and I am very sorry for the gigantic post, but I needed to tell you everything in order to get help.
Thank you!

Hello,

i will expain to you what happens in order and lets say iam the example.

My case number is AS44xxx,
1) i waited for my number to become current and i was watching the visa bulletin as it is published every month.
2) The visa bulletin is published every month and it contains 2 months of information. For example the bulletin that is published in July is called the "August Visa Bulletin" and it contains information regarding available visas for the months of August & September.
3) as of the date the August Bulletin is published (which is around July 10) that means there is 50 days or so till September 1st which is the month my visa is available in. Therfore I can apply as soon as i see that there is a visa available for me in the Visa bulletin.

DONOT assume your number to be current a couple of months in advanced and file your AOS as it might get denied...and this way you lose time and money
Wait untill you have concrete evidence and it literally state your case number is current in the visa bulletin then only apply for AOS.

I asked in my post also, but I happen to notice that you as44*** are current for September , and you filed your i485 in July... so basicaly you can file as soon as you understand in advance? Because somebody told me that you need to wait till the moth begins, Hence - 1st of september you can file... so this is not true right? Thank you, and good luck!!!!

Hello,

Here is what you have to do:

Steps 1-7 could all be done in less than a month or 2.
1) You have to send the DSP122 and DS230 to KCC right away.
2) Make sure you state in DSP122 that you want to process in USA, for example say "USCIS Detroit field Office"
3) mail them to KCC with the required documents such as copy of bar code i think and the pictures also.
4) after you mail them by 2 weeks call KCC and make sure they got your forms. They will not send you anything acknowledging that they received it. Also make sure they know that you will do AOS in USA.
5) After that DOS should send you a notice that you have to pay the 440 fee
6) Send payment of the 440 according to what the letter described.
7) DOS will send you a receipt of your payment

The following steps occur depending on when your case number becomes current ..most likely in may 2012
8) Watch the visa bulletin until you see that your case number will become current in advanced notification
9) after your case number show in advanced notification you then are able to safely send your AOS to chicago lockbox

At all times you HAVE to stay in status. If you are applying for OPT in January then do so. You are still F-1 until your interview date and until they approve your GC. Therefore it is extremely important that you maintain your F1 status as it is a factor of approving or denying your AOS.

Thank you!

Thank you guys, so as far as I understood as soon as my number is available in the advance notification which is lets say two months ahead I can apply, so if I'm current in May lets say, and I see this in February, I can apply right away, correct?

And to answer the post above, I will not have my F1 next year anymore, that's why it is complicated - my F1 will be over the end of this year, and my interview will be next year, so that's my issue - does the payment to DOS and sending the DSP 122 to KCC now will restrict me from obtaining an OPT in the beginning of next year? That's what everything is about. If I was one more year in F1 I wouldn't even worry, but they say once you send the docs to KCC you are considered that you are in process of AOS, and therefore, you cannot change or extend your current visa!

Congrats cybor...
I looked at the spreadsheet, so you were current in may and sent your package around april 13th? around my time...

Ok, so now I'm still sitting in the waiting room with four people left. Time is 5:42pm, office shuts off at 6:00pm

Thanks, and sorry for the night time mistakes.
We got the Interview Letter for September 6th.
:cool:

Thanks, Yoni.
I hope to see very soon that you got IL.
And I think, that it is just half past 2, not 5.42pm, it is only August 4th today, and it is almost 55 days left. Some just sent their forms to Chicago.:)
Yes, we sent documents at April 13, as we were not in States for few monthes before.
And sent the documents few days after we arrived back here. May be it caused delay from the beggining, as our I-94 forms were not in the system.
Waiting for a good news from you!!!
Congrats cybor...
I looked at the spreadsheet, so you were current in may and sent your package around april 13th? around my time...

Ok, so now I'm still sitting in the waiting room with four people left. Time is 5:42pm, office shuts off at 6:00pm

I was checking my status On USCIS site and it's show last update is today's date, August 4 (last update was August 1) but its still on the card/document production......... what's that about....... anyone had similar situation

lorrain78

You have some really wrong information ...Please let me clarify to you:

Fact #1) Your F1 status doesnt end when you get your OPT. OPT is a program available to F1 status students. If you get your OPT then you are still considered in your F1 status.

Fact#2) Sending your DSP122, DS230 and paying the 440 DOS fee doesnt not mean you are in the process for AOS. These are all DOS processes and fees. and have nothing to do with USCIS which process AOS cases. Therfore you are not considered in the process for AOS untill you actually send your AOS application I-485 to Chicago.

Fact #3) you can apply for OPT without having any worries that it will cause you problems. You have alot of time before your DV number becomes current.

Thank you guys, so as far as I understood as soon as my number is available in the advance notification which is lets say two months ahead I can apply, so if I'm current in May lets say, and I see this in February, I can apply right away, correct?

And to answer the post above, I will not have my F1 next year anymore, that's why it is complicated - my F1 will be over the end of this year, and my interview will be next year, so that's my issue - does the payment to DOS and sending the DSP 122 to KCC now will restrict me from obtaining an OPT in the beginning of next year? That's what everything is about. If I was one more year in F1 I wouldn't even worry, but they say once you send the docs to KCC you are considered that you are in process of AOS, and therefore, you cannot change or extend your current visa!

Another point for the DV team at the Detroit Field Office:D :D :D :D

I went today to get my Biometrics taken at the Detroit Field office.
My original scdhuled bio appointment was for 8/22.
I arrived today 8/4 at around 8:25am
Prayed, Prayed and prayed Then Left my car around 8:35
One lady was ahead of me in line and noone else was behind me.
Security guard was nice, checked my ID, asked me what i was there for and pointed where i should go.
I walked in and a nice lady at the desk asked me for my letter and my id and asked me what i was there for. So i replied biometrics, then she looked at the date and asked me why I couldnt make it on the 22nd?
I answered that i "had a dental surgery and showed her my appointment card"
She told me that they dont do walkin biometrics and it states that in the letter but she will let me do it since i drove from Ohio. I thanked her kindly and filled up the form then without any wait, a very nice genteman asked me to follow him to an inside office where he got my biometrics, then my pictuer taken. After i was done I asked him if there was a number where i can call and check if it did go through fine. He replied that they will mail me the card from a different office !!!!! I was like sweetttt :cool:!!!! and i thanked him and walked out.

8:50 I was back in my car.

Now could this be true??? will the card be sent without an interview???

Only time will tell my friends....

No, not yet ......goodluck today at Detroit FO....

I doubt that the person you spoke to has any serious knowledge about the process in general and DV in particular....
I mean I sure hope for you, but i wouldn't put my money on this....

Another point for the DV team at the Detroit Field Office:D :D :D :D

I went today to get my Biometrics taken at the Detroit Field office.
My original scdhuled bio appointment was for 8/22.
I arrived today 8/4 at around 8:25am
Prayed, Prayed and prayed Then Left my car around 8:35
One lady was ahead of me in line and noone else was behind me.
Security guard was nice, checked my ID, asked me what i was there for and pointed where i should go.
I walked in and a nice lady at the desk asked me for my letter and my id and asked me what i was there for. So i replied biometrics, then she looked at the date and asked me why I couldnt make it on the 22nd?
I answered that i "had a dental surgery and showed her my appointment card"
She told me that they dont do walkin biometrics and it states that in the letter but she will let me do it since i drove from Ohio. I thanked her kindly and filled up the form then without any wait, a very nice genteman asked me to follow him to an inside office where he got my biometrics, then my pictuer taken. After i was done I asked him if there was a number where i can call and check if it did go through fine. He replied that they will mail me the card from a different office !!!!! I was like sweetttt :cool:!!!! and i thanked him and walked out.

8:50 I was back in my car.

Now could this be true??? will the card be sent without an interview???

Only time will tell my friends....