• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

I did drive to the FO in time for my scheduled interview but the front door to the building was locked and a sign was posted saying 'Closed due to the snow'.

USCIS CSR are adamant that the FO doesn't do walk-ins and I should just wait for the rescheduling letter. I'm still wondering if I should stop by tomorrow morning and check if they take me in.

Maybe you should have gone to the office and check it out just to make sure it is actually closed, as you said it is only 3 miles away, as Lisa's office supposed to be closed but she still had her interview.

I did drive to the FO in time for my scheduled interview but the front door to the building was locked and a sign was posted saying 'Closed due to the snow'.

USCIS CSR are adamant that the FO doesn't do walk-ins and I should just wait for the rescheduling letter. I'm still wondering if I should stop by tomorrow morning and check if they take me in.

It's such a bs that they were closed.

I'd get an infopass and go tomorrow if possible. If you do not have an appointment or infopass, they are not very friendly at the door. I was told that it might take 2-4 weeks for a new appointment, but luckily they were taking DC cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should definetly go tommorow as the office is so close to you and you will definetly feel better knowing you did something, and never know, they might even take you tommorow for the interview , just make sure to tell them it is a DV case. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Guys,

I have just heard that my 10 months baby will not get green card with us!!!!!!!!!! Is that true? I am main applicant and my wife and my child are my dependant,

Is it correct that she can not get green card because she does not have diploma?

I am 100% sure that it is not true but a junior attorney said that to me.

thanks

Hi all,

My package was received today in Chicago :)
Would anyone have the url to check the status of AOS applications? I can't seem to find it...

Thanks
--sob

lisa6 and natta,

Thanks for the advice. I scheduled an INFOPASS for next Wednesday which was the earliest date available. And wouldn't you know it... they are forecasting an even bigger snowstorm for the coming Tuesday/Wednesday!!!:(

Anyway, I'm gonna check the FO early tomorrow and hope that they take me in.

I think you should definetly go tommorow as the office is so close to you and you will definetly feel better knowing you did something, and never know, they might even take you tommorow for the interview , just make sure to tell them it is a DV case. Good luck and keep us posted.

You would need receipt number first. They will send you. Wait!!

Hi all,

My package was received today in Chicago :)
Would anyone have the url to check the status of AOS applications? I can't seem to find it...

Thanks
--sob

Thank you, Feel.
Congratulations to Lisa and everyone who had successfull interviews recently!
Pbz, hope you'll get interview rescheduled very soon!

I don't think what you have been told are true.

Hi Guys,

I have just heard that my 10 months baby will not get green card with us!!!!!!!!!! Is that true? I am main applicant and my wife and my child are my dependant,

Is it correct that she can not get green card because she does not have diploma?

thanks

Hi Guys,

thanks
No, it is not true. Only the main applicant is required to have either a high school diploma, or the two year work experience. This requirement does not apply to dependents.
I hope you are not paying that attorney. Either way, I would drop him right now.

Hi everyone
Here is my today's interview experience
I arrived around 7:30 am. My appointment is at 8:30am. I waited till 9:00am then I had my interview. The interview went smoothly. First, the officer asked me to take an oath that my sayings are truth. Then, we sat down. He looked at my I-485 and asked me about the questions on it. Have you been arrested? Have you been married? etc. Because I am at 25 now, he suggested to enroll in selective service (?)
Q1: Anyone can tell me what's the benefit of it? faster to become a citizen? Do people suggest me to enroll that?

Then, in about ten minutes, he said he will review my documents in next two hours. Then, I can become a permanent resident in next two hours. The only thing he asked me to show is my passport and my student id (probably because I don't have a drive license). At around noon, I received my CPO notification !!!

Q2. I received my EAD card in about two weeks ago. The duration of it is only one year. How can I renew it? If I am still a student by then, do I need to renew it? (I got paid by the university as a research assistant)

Thank you for people contributing to this forum. Good luck for everyone.
Perhaps, it will be better to have some FAQ pages or shared website for people who is new to everything.

A1: As far as I know, failure to register into the selective service could be grounds for denying you a petition for U.S. citizenship later on. Every male U.S. citizens and permanent residents between the ages of 18 to 25 are required to do it, which provides a database for a military conscription in case of an emergency war which is altogether extremely unlikely.

A2: You just got CPO, so you will be receiving your GC in about 2 weeks. So, why are you even thinking about renewing your EAD? Your EAD will become useless once you'll receive your GC in the mail.

Hi everyone
Here is my today's interview experience
I arrived around 7:30 am. My appointment is at 8:30am. I waited till 9:00am then I had my interview. The interview went smoothly. First, the officer asked me to take an oath that my sayings are truth. Then, we sat down. He looked at my I-485 and asked me about the questions on it. Have you been arrested? Have you been married? etc. Because I am at 25 now, he suggested to enroll in selective service (?)
Q1: Anyone can tell me what's the benefit of it? faster to become a citizen? Do people suggest me to enroll that?

Then, in about ten minutes, he said he will review my documents in next two hours. Then, I can become a permanent resident in next two hours. The only thing he asked me to show is my passport and my student id (probably because I don't have a drive license). At around noon, I received my CPO notification !!!

Q2. I received my EAD card in about two weeks ago. The duration of it is only one year. How can I renew it? If I am still a student by then, do I need to renew it? (I got paid by the university as a research assistant)

Thank you for people contributing to this forum. Good luck for everyone.
Perhaps, it will be better to have some FAQ pages or shared website for people who is new to everything.

Interview

Hi all,

We had our interview today and everything went according to plan. We arrived at the Field Office 15 minutes before our scheduled time, went through security, handed in our interview scheduling letters, and were asked to take a seat in the waiting room, with a bunch of other folks. They had a big screen TV with CNN on, so we got to see all sorts of catastrophes going on around the world while we were waiting. After about 20 minutes past our scheduled time our names were called and we were ushered into an interview room by an immigration officer. He made us swear to tell the truth, and then invited us to have a seat. His demeanor was serious (no smiles, no jokes), but it was not unpleasant at all, just very professional. He asked for our passports, and then went through our forms I-485: asked us names, address, verified when we last entered the country, etc. Then asked some of the yes/no questions: have we ever been arrested, have we ever lied to the government, have we ever been in the military, etc. He also asked us if we were ever out of status. He looked at some of the copies we sent to the Lockbox, but never asked for any originals, or any supplemental documents that were requested of us (we had compiled a big pile of them, including tax returns and other such financial evidence). He then asked us if we had any questions, told us that everything looked good, and that he would review our files again later and we should get approved contingent upon he availability of visa #s. He then said that during the review they will let us know if anything else is needed from us, which was kinda strange because that's why we were there, but I wasn't too worried about that. And rightfully so, because approximately 4 hours later I received an email with the approval notice. We are now in the card production stage, and we should receive them in 30 days. Overall the whole AOS process was pretty smooth, I didn't call FBI, KCC, nor scheduled infopass. Most of my information came from the great pool of knowledge that is this forum, and I am greatful to everyone who contributed to it. It took us almost 4 months (which is longer than at other FOs, but not too bad overall) to get to this point, and now we are waiting for our green cards, and to take the next steps in our lives. I wish good luck to all of you in your future endeavors, and we'll see you around.

Thank you, lucky2011
I'll enroll in selective service once I receive my card.
One more question: how do we enter US next time, after we become a permanent residents. My F1 visa is still on my passport. Should we bring our green card with us?
Enter 'permanent residents' gate? Thanks,

A1: As far as I know, failure to register into the selective service could be grounds for denying you a petition for U.S. citizenship later on. Every male U.S. citizens and permanent residents between the ages of 18 to 25 are required to do it, which provides a database for a military conscription in case of an emergency war which is altogether extremely unlikely.

A2: You just got CPO, so you will be receiving your GC in about 2 weeks. So, why are you even thinking about renewing your EAD? Your EAD will become useless once you'll receive your GC in the mail.

Baobab and feel,

I was sure for that, I am just in the stage of selecting good attorney in Houston, he has been rejected from my list.

thank you guys

Hello and congratulations to everyone who got GCs and goodluck who is waiting. Question: my teacher is translating my documents to English, can she do it or not? Because relatives cannot do it but if you know somebody can they do it? Somebody told him that he cannot translate for student and he is just a teacher he doesn't make money from translating but he is fluent un both languages. Q2: can it just be signed by him not notarized? Thank you