• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Dear Feel,
Thak you for your encouragement!

Dear Winners,

I had my interview today in NYC office. My interview was very smooth and Thank God,it was easy and a very happy time.
preview of my situation: single and current status: under the umbrella of AOS since october 10 ( my J1 internship visa expired on oct 10, 2010, i have no visa right now, no visa status, my only status is I485 in pending)

my interview was supposed to be at 10:30am. i got there at 9:45am. I had my interview at 12:30 or so. It only lasted 10 minutes. I had my interview with Raymond Wong, a very nice young immigration officer. he apologized to make me wait and said there are only two IO dealing with DV cases in this office today. he made me swear to say teh truth when we got into his office. then interview started

He asked me to show: birth certifiate, High school diploma (i showed him my masters and bachelors degree but he said he did not need it), passeport, I94, and the paid receipt, the NL1. He did not ask me much at all. I had tons of documents. I gave him some documents he did not ask for, like the notarized letter for the translation of all my documents, and barcode and NL2. I had a letter of notarization for all my translated documents (about 25 pages). he barely had a look on the birth certificate. he did not read any document at all or any translation. He looked at it in its general aspect.

You must know that he did not request me some documents that the attached letter originally mentionned. For instance, he did not ask for my I-134 affidavit of support. However, I provided the I134 form and supporting evidence when i first sent my AOS package on september. He had my entire file on his desk. He was looking at it when he was looking at the original documents. But on the attached letter i was asked to bring a birth certificate of my sponsor which I had today but he did not ask me for it. When i sent my AOS package on sept,i sent my sponsor bank statement and i also made a mistake I sent a very detailed paystub, and not a letter from my sponsor's manager explaining the nature of her position like the I134 instructions recommended. I had this letter today at the interview. But the IO did not ask anything about affidavit of support.

we had the Yes or No series of questions. he reconfirmed with me my address, where i was born, my date of birth. he wrote on a page of my passeport: "NYC 12/16/10 ISO R.Wong Sec 245, pending 485, A number, DV6 or G" am ot sure if it is a G or 6.
and that was it. he said I am gonnna go on the department of state website to ask for an available visa. You will receive a welcome notification shortly. you will receive your card in the mail in a month or so. if you dont have it in a month, please come back to see us with an infopass. thank you very much. Goodbye Sir!

Lipna and dalerpulatov, I am sorry to hear u guys had a hard interview. Only teh result matters! lets just think that u will have our Greecard soon. enjoy holidays and have some rest.

best of luck to all of you

Congrats frenchiechs !!! Indeed, much smoother interview than the other two.

Awesome frenchiechs! Glad to hear about your smooth interview process. I think I saw Raymond. He was the only person among other officer who was always smiling and patiently answering people's question in the waiting room when he came there few times. Its true, the stress doesn't matter as long as the end result is what we expect :)

Congrats frenchiechs !!! Indeed, much smoother interview than the other two.

Hey Natta, the lady asked for my employment letter as a proof of support. No bank statement required it seems, as long as your employment letter states the annual salary. For my husband, even if he had employment letter, she made me fill I-34(I guess that's the form, for affidavit of support). Her logic is, as I'm principal applicant I should write a affidavit for him!!! Best wishes for your interview :)
P.S. for those who had interview today, did they ask for any affidavit of support or employment letter, bank account showing funds or taxes from previous years?

Hey Natta, the lady asked for my employment letter as a proof of support. No bank statement required it seems, as long as your employment letter states the annual salary. For my husband, even if he had employment letter, she made me fill I-34(I guess that's the form, for affidavit of support). Her logic is, as I'm principal applicant I should write a affidavit for him!!! Best wishes for your interview :)

So I see that 's not necessary that i-134 is completed by the pr resident or citizen. It looks like it could be done by wife/husband who is currently employed and provide for the family

Hey guys, you are not gonna believe, so few minutes after I called USCIS to ask about the case status, the mailman came and called to pick up a package I had and I also took the mail, and guess what, there they were our interview letters for January 5th for 10AM and 10.30 AM. I am so happy, we finally got them, at least now I know what we are awaiting for. Thanks God, cause I was getting so worried.

Bravo Bravo!!!! I should be next:)))

Hey Lisa, Indeed I hope you get it next, at least get it before Christmas, so you can enjoy the holiday, really thinking about you and Luganskman who have been waiting for a while, so hope it arives soon. Good luck guys.
Bravo Bravo!!!! I should be next:)))

I am thinking if I should get the affidavit of support or not, because I have a friend in mind I can ask , but its really uncomfortable to ask this, when it deals with finances, but I am currently employed and am doing a paid internship as well and have a bank account with some money in it, I hope that will be fine, the deal is that my husband is the principal applicant and he is not working now.

Natta, You are right. It is difficult to ask somebody for support. It is indeed responsibility for them. You can tell them that 95% it will not be necessary. Also tell them that they will only be asked for your help if you ask for food stamp which is again highly unlikely. Also tell them that they can put the forms in a sealed envelope which will not be opened unless by the I/O and if not used you will send it back to them in the same sealed envelope untouched. So you would not know about the content, the statements the balances or their income.

Again, I ready doubt that you would be asked for one but take it with you anyways.

I am thinking if I should get the affidavit of support or not, because I have a friend in mind I can ask , but its really uncomfortable to ask this, when it deals with finances, but I am currently employed and am doing a paid internship as well and have a bank account with some money in it, I hope that will be fine, the deal is that my husband is the principal applicant and he is not working now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Feel,
Thak you for your encouragement!

Dear Winners,

I had my interview today in NYC office. My interview was very smooth and Thank God,it was easy and a very happy time.
preview of my situation: single and current status: under the umbrella of AOS since october 10 ( my J1 internship visa expired on oct 10, 2010, i have no visa right now, no visa status, my only status is I485 in pending)

my interview was supposed to be at 10:30am. i got there at 9:45am. I had my interview at 12:30 or so. It only lasted 10 minutes. I had my interview with Raymond Wong, a very nice young immigration officer. he apologized to make me wait and said there are only two IO dealing with DV cases in this office today. he made me swear to say teh truth when we got into his office. then interview started

He asked me to show: birth certifiate, High school diploma (i showed him my masters and bachelors degree but he said he did not need it), passeport, I94, and the paid receipt, the NL1. He did not ask me much at all. I had tons of documents. I gave him some documents he did not ask for, like the notarized letter for the translation of all my documents, and barcode and NL2. I had a letter of notarization for all my translated documents (about 25 pages). he barely had a look on the birth certificate. he did not read any document at all or any translation. He looked at it in its general aspect.

You must know that he did not request me some documents that the attached letter originally mentionned. For instance, he did not ask for my I-134 affidavit of support. However, I provided the I134 form and supporting evidence when i first sent my AOS package on september. He had my entire file on his desk. He was looking at it when he was looking at the original documents. But on the attached letter i was asked to bring a birth certificate of my sponsor which I had today but he did not ask me for it. When i sent my AOS package on sept,i sent my sponsor bank statement and i also made a mistake I sent a very detailed paystub, and not a letter from my sponsor's manager explaining the nature of her position like the I134 instructions recommended. I had this letter today at the interview. But the IO did not ask anything about affidavit of support.

we had the Yes or No series of questions. he reconfirmed with me my address, where i was born, my date of birth. he wrote on a page of my passeport: "NYC 12/16/10 ISO R.Wong Sec 245, pending 485, A number, DV6 or G" am ot sure if it is a G or 6.
and that was it. he said I am gonnna go on the department of state website to ask for an available visa. You will receive a welcome notification shortly. you will receive your card in the mail in a month or so. if you dont have it in a month, please come back to see us with an infopass. thank you very much. Goodbye Sir!

Lipna and dalerpulatov, I am sorry to hear u guys had a hard interview. Only teh result matters! lets just think that u will have our Greecard soon. enjoy holidays and have some rest.

best of luck to all of you

You're indeed lucky.... I don't know why interview was difficult for me and lipna. I mean I brought 20+ docs and believe everything was checked

You're indeed lucky.... I don't know why interview was difficult for me and lipna. I mean I brought 20+ docs and believe everything was checked

I am sorry to hear she gave u such a hard time. i wish it would have been as smooth as mine. maybe our two different experiences will help other new yorkers winners. maybe they can ask to be interviewed with R.wong otherwise they know they must be prepared for a hard time.

natta, i am unemployed because i have no work permit and no visa right now. he did not ask me affidavit of support at interview but i did send it along with my AOS package last sept. i also sent notarizd letters from my parents and brother that they would help me if needed. i would suggest u go at the interview with affidavait of support, it is better to be prepared. I would go for teh sealed enveloppe like kayat suggested.

@natta
I'm very glad you have got your Interview letter. And thanks for your wishes, but I think I'll get my Interview Letter in January. I made Infopath at 14/12 and they told me that they are still working on my case. I just wondering what type of work FO have to do with my documents 7 weeks already. :)
But at least I'm sure that Infopass is useless for us who just waiting and wants to figure out their status.

Hi everyone
Congrat. for people getting their cards and good luck for people who haven't. I receive the interview letter on 12/10/2010. It includes some documents that I need to bring. I have some questions about them:
1. I693 sealed medical documentation: I have already sent the sealed version when I mailed to Chicago office for AOS. I don't have a sealed one. Did I make any mistake? How should I do?
2. I864: when I sent my documents for AOS, I didn't prepare I864. I provide a letter to show that I am a research assistant now (to two/three years) and also bank documents. Is this ok?
3. high school diploma: I don't have my high school diploma on hand. I only have my bachelor degree diploma and graduate school transcripts. Is this ok?

For 2 and 3, I have called USCIS before I submitted my AOS documents, and they tell me they should be fine.

Any suggestions/ comments? Thank you very much!

@ personhuang

regarding first question, if you've already submitted it's not necessary. 2nd question, is it said in case of "unemployment" bring I-864 or Sth else. I think if you're employed and your salary exceeds %125 of poverty line you'll be fine. 3rd, well if you do not have, you can just bring your higher education documents, I do not think that it would be a major problem, but it all depends on the officer.

Hi everyone
Congrat. for people getting their cards and good luck for people who haven't. I receive the interview letter on 12/10/2010. It includes some documents that I need to bring. I have some questions about them:
1. I693 sealed medical documentation: I have already sent the sealed version when I mailed to Chicago office for AOS. I don't have a sealed one. Did I make any mistake? How should I do?
2. I864: when I sent my documents for AOS, I didn't prepare I864. I provide a letter to show that I am a research assistant now (to two/three years) and also bank documents. Is this ok?
3. high school diploma: I don't have my high school diploma on hand. I only have my bachelor degree diploma and graduate school transcripts. Is this ok?

For 2 and 3, I have called USCIS before I submitted my AOS documents, and they tell me they should be fine.

Any suggestions/ comments? Thank you very much!

I am just sharing my experience. I showed my masters and Bachelor but all he wanted to see was my HS diploma. i would go with it at the interview if i were u.

Dalerpulatov, Congrats!!!!!!!

Hey Natta, if your hubby is principal applicant then I think he must show employment letter or some kind of affidavit of support. I am not sure if you can have an affidavit for him or not. It would be better if someone else who knows answer. Am not very sure about it. Sorry :( But I tried to do some google for you :)

And here is what I found in another thread of this forum:

"Some embassies don't even ask about an affidavit of support if you are single. However, it is better to have some kind of document that proves you will not be a public charge in the US. The documents can be one or more of the following: 1) Your own bank statement which shows an account above 100% of the poverty line. 2) An employment letter for yourself from a company in USA. 3) Affidavit of support from a legal permanent resident or a citizen of USA (I-134 form signed by your sponsor, bank statement of your sponsor, tax return of your sponsor for the year 2009, employment letter for your sponsor.) "
Source: http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?316344-Affidavit-of-support-DV-2011

Hope it helps!