• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Form I-485 question

I am a DV 2011 lucky winner in F1 status in the US. I was wondering what to fill in as the expiration date of my current status in the first page of form i-485. The entry stamp on the passport says DS. So should I use the expiration date of my I-20 as the date of expiration of the status or simply say duration of status?
I hope that one of the former F1 folks who had successful application will chime in.

Thanks, again

CN 2011AF22xxx
Current: February

I am a DV 2011 lucky winner in F1 status in the US. I was wondering what to fill in as the expiration date of my current status in the first page of form i-485. The entry stamp on the passport says DS. So should I use the expiration date of my I-20 as the date of expiration of the status or simply say duration of status?
I hope that one of the former F1 folks who had successful application will chime in.

Thanks, again

CN 2011AF22xxx

Hi Loula,

If I were you, I would write the expiration date of the I-20. In my case, I'm on F-1 OPT, and I wrote down the expiration date of my OPT status written on my EAD Card.
Others, please chime in.

Thanks, again

CN 2011AF22xxx

Loula,

Welcome to the forum.

I was definitely in your situation until I became permanent resident 2 days ago.

on I-485 application, since your expiration date is D/S, you put D/S on the asked blank.

Hi. You better have original birth certificate at interview, I know a person from DV2008 who had Masters form US university and she was asked for original high school diploma, and she spent long to get her green card, redo some stuff to have interview again.
Hi everyone
Congrat. for people getting their cards and good luck for people who haven't. I receive the interview letter on 12/10/2010. It includes some documents that I need to bring. I have some questions about them:
1. I693 sealed medical documentation: I have already sent the sealed version when I mailed to Chicago office for AOS. I don't have a sealed one. Did I make any mistake? How should I do?
2. I864: when I sent my documents for AOS, I didn't prepare I864. I provide a letter to show that I am a research assistant now (to two/three years) and also bank documents. Is this ok?
3. high school diploma: I don't have my high school diploma on hand. I only have my bachelor degree diploma and graduate school transcripts. Is this ok?

For 2 and 3, I have called USCIS before I submitted my AOS documents, and they tell me they should be fine.

Any suggestions/ comments? Thank you very much!

Yes, high school diploma is required to show your eligibility for DV Lottery. So try to get one. What date is your interview scheduled?

Hi everyone
Congrat. for people getting their cards and good luck for people who haven't. I receive the interview letter on 12/10/2010. It includes some documents that I need to bring. I have some questions about them:
1. I693 sealed medical documentation: I have already sent the sealed version when I mailed to Chicago office for AOS. I don't have a sealed one. Did I make any mistake? How should I do?
2. I864: when I sent my documents for AOS, I didn't prepare I864. I provide a letter to show that I am a research assistant now (to two/three years) and also bank documents. Is this ok?
3. high school diploma: I don't have my high school diploma on hand. I only have my bachelor degree diploma and graduate school transcripts. Is this ok?

For 2 and 3, I have called USCIS before I submitted my AOS documents, and they tell me they should be fine.

Any suggestions/ comments? Thank you very much!

Guys, Does anyone know regarding walk-in biometrics at the following ASC in Houston TX ( if they have particular day when they allow walk-in bio):
USCIS Application Support Center
10555 Northwest Freeway Suite 150
Houston, TX 77092-8209.

Thanks for any information. Willowher, any idea? I believe you did yours in Houston.

Guys,pardon my ignorance as I just joined the forum a day ago. There are few acronyms that I need clarification on so I can better follow the thread.
ASC=?
PDA=?
CPO=?

Thanks

Guys,pardon my ignorance as I just joined the forum a day ago. There are few acronyms that I need clarification on so I can better follow the thread.
ASC=?
PDA=?
CPO=?

Thanks

ASC = Application Support Center where you take your biometrics
PDA = Post-Decision Activity which means USCIS has just mailed your green card
CPO = Card Production Ordered which means USCIS has officially approved your green card application.

Thanks, 2011, feel, js7, frenchiechs
I've contacted my family to send me my HS diploma. I update my signature.
Quick questions:
1.The letter also asks me to bring the employment authorization. However, I don't have it. I applied I765 along with my AOS. Does it mean it should be fine without it?
2. For the two photos, should I have a newer one or have the one when I submitted AOS packages?

It is better to be over prepared rather than be sorry. If you do not get EAD by your interview day, do not worry about it. I am surprised why they asked for photos though.. But just take it with you just in case, whichever ...It should not matter whether it be a new one or the one you sent with AOS packet....Others please chime in...

Thanks, 2011, feel, js7, frenchiechs
I've contacted my family to send me my HS diploma. I update my signature.
Quick questions:
1.The letter also asks me to bring the employment authorization. However, I don't have it. I applied I765 along with my AOS. Does it mean it should be fine without it?
2. For the two photos, should I have a newer one or have the one when I submitted AOS packages?

How did you like the rain Reptile?
Thanks for the wishes

here is my thoughts:
- I think i will be sending my AOS package in February and the internship is supposed to start in May. Do you think guys this is enough time?

It depends, You might be fine since sometimes it takes less than that to get the card. If you apply for EAD there is a chance that it might get ready before that. Are you now on opt? or are you studying? See, there is not definite answer here, cause there are people here from October who are unfortunately still waiting for their interview letter.

- If i don't get my card before May, can i go and work under my F1 license or should i do it under my EAD (if i ever get it before May)?
I know you can keep doing what you are doing if you have EAD and are working with it, you can continue without using your new EAD. I don't know if you can change your work with your OPT EAD. but I think if you are F1 now, you can not apply for OPT after you send your application. again, tell more about your status.

- Should i notify USCIS of my change of address during summer? and how would this affect my application that would be ongoing then?

this might make things complicated if you ask me. but, it is my opinion, have not heard if anybody moved before interview to another city. I heard they moved within a city but seems like you are moving to a different city. So I am sorry that I don't know, but I feel like it might get complicated since they might have to transfer your application to a new FO.

- Although i know it is really unlikely, have you ever heard of a case where the package was submitted in one FO and the interview done in another?
I guess I answered this too.

Feel, Baobab... What do you guys think of this?

lol.. it lived up to its reputation as the rain city. you can easily forget how a (partially) sunny day looks like there!

Thx for the answers. I'm still studying (not on OPT). My I-20 is valid till 2013. My understanding is that if i stick to my status during the process, i should be fine in case AOS succeeds or fails, so i'm inclined not to apply for EAD unless i have to.

Concerning the change of address, what i have in mind is filling the AR-11 form, changing my address, then returning for the interview (if needed) by plane for a day or two (hope i can get some refund from the company concerning that), but i'm not sure which FO would then send me the letter.

I dont want to complicate my case but i will definitely take the risk of changing address if i'm current in January since i will have then around 4 months. If i'm current in February, i think i'll schedule an infopass first.

Hope you agree with that.

To former F1 or any other person for that matter

Guys,

I am curious to know if any person with a F1 status who has gone for interview was asked an affidavit of support. I am going to be applying jointly with my spouse and just want to be prepared.

Thanks

Thx baobab.

I am not under OPT, so this would count towards CPT. As you said, i don't want to apply for EAD as something might go wrong in AOS, unless i need it to work (which is not the case here i guess). I am also willing to travel back for the interview, but the problem is that i'm not sure they will accept that since the AR-11 form i'm gonna submit will show me as a resident of another state. The reason i prefer this scenario is to avoid the substantial delay involved in transferring my case to another FO (if this is possible in the first place).

@js7, I am not on OPT. I would be working under CPT. I think i will wait to see if my number becomes current in Jan. If it doesn't, i think i will schedule an infopass as you said..

Hey guys, you are not gonna believe, so few minutes after I called USCIS to ask about the case status, the mailman came and called to pick up a package I had and I also took the mail, and guess what, there they were our interview letters for January 5th for 10AM and 10.30 AM. I am so happy, we finally got them, at least now I know what we are awaiting for. Thanks God, cause I was getting so worried.

cool.. enjoy your christmas gift.