• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Thanks, 2011, feel, js7, frenchiechs
I've contacted my family to send me my HS diploma. I update my signature.
Thanks for updating your signature. Is your interview in Chicago or another FO? How about your biometrics?

It looks like you received a routine invitation with a standard list of documents. Not all of them apply to you.

I receive the interview letter on 12/10/2010. It includes some documents that I need to bring. I have some questions about them:
1. I693 sealed medical documentation: I have already sent the sealed version when I mailed to Chicago office for AOS. I don't have a sealed one. Did I make any mistake? How should I do?
If you sent the sealed I693 with your package, you do not have to worry about getting a new one. Bring with you the copy you got from your medic, just in case.
2. I864: when I sent my documents for AOS, I didn't prepare I864. I provide a letter to show that I am a research assistant now (to two/three years) and also bank documents. Is this ok?
I864 applies to family based AOS. For DV you need I-134. You should do your best to get an I-134, but only show it if asked.
3. high school diploma: I don't have my high school diploma on hand. I only have my bachelor degree diploma and graduate school transcripts. Is this ok?
It is one of those things where it depends on the interviewing officer. To avoid any delays, try to get a hold of your original high school diploma and take it with you.

Quick questions:
1.The letter also asks me to bring the employment authorization. However, I don't have it. I applied I765 along with my AOS. Does it mean it should be fine without it?
It is fine without it. As I said, you received a standard list of documents. This one does not apply to you.
2. For the two photos, should I have a newer one or have the one when I submitted AOS packages?
It is news to me that we have to bring photos to the interview.
My letter does not ask for any documents, though I will take all the papers I have with me.

Thanks everyone, I did biometrics in indianpolis, while my interview is in chicago.

Thanks for updating your signature. Is your interview in Chicago or another FO? How about your biometrics?

It looks like you received a routine invitation with a standard list of documents. Not all of them apply to you.

If you sent the sealed I693 with your package, you do not have to worry about getting a new one. Bring with you the copy you got from your medic, just in case.

I864 applies to family based AOS. For DV you need I-134. You should do your best to get an I-134, but only show it if asked.

It is one of those things where it depends on the interviewing officer. To avoid any delays, try to get a hold of your original high school diploma and take it with you.

It is fine without it. As I said, you received a standard list of documents. This one does not apply to you.

It is news to me that we have to bring photos to the interview.
My letter does not ask for any documents, though I will take all the papers I have with me.

Guys,

I am curious to know if any person with a F1 status who has gone for interview was asked an affidavit of support. I am going to be applying jointly with my spouse and just want to be prepared.

Thanks

Yes you most likely will need affidavit of support, in order to make it certain you have to receive interview letter stating the requirement for Aff. of Support.

If you are not working, you must tell someone (relative, friends and etc. who are permanent residents or US citizens) who are reluctant and agree to support you for a year in order to make sure for immigration (USCIS) that you'll not be public charge for a year. Moreover, her income should be above poverty line.

Personally, I had a friend who agreed to file Affidavit of Support for me and immigration officer took my original document from me.

Others, please add something.

P.S. Google Affidavit of Support and Poverty Line for more information

Hey guys, on page 9 of i-485 instructions pdf file(http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf) saying that applicants who has H type visa (H1 or H4) can travel outside the USA without obtaining advance parole during when i-485 is pending.
What do you think about it?
There are many people who asked that question already on that forum and answer was 'no you can not travel outside of USA when you filed i-485 form'

Hi Luganskman,
I think you can travel as long as you have a valid H1-B visa stamped on your passport. But I would not suggest traveling without the visa stamp on your passport itself (I mean just with the approval receipt I-797A and Updated I-94) because there is always a possibility that your H1-B visa application might get delayed or even rejected at US consulate for some reason. That way you will be in a big problem.
Just my thought. Hey guys chime in....

Hey guys, on page 9 of i-485 instructions pdf file(http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf) saying that applicants who has H type visa (H1 or H4) can travel outside the USA without obtaining advance parole during when i-485 is pending.
What do you think about it?
There are many people who asked that question already on that forum and answer was 'no you can not travel outside of USA when you filed i-485 form'

Hi Luganskman,
I think you can travel as long as you have a valid H1-B visa stamped on your passport. But I would not suggest traveling without the visa stamp on your passport itself (I mean just with the approval receipt I-797A and Updated I-94) because there is always a possibility that your H1-B visa application might get delayed or even rejected at US consulate for some reason. That way you will be in a big problem.
Just my thought. Hey guys chime in....
I agree with feel. If your H1B stamp is still valid, there is little risk in traveling with your H1B visa. But if you have to apply for an H1B, I would rather wait for the interview.
Guys, Does anyone know regarding walk-in biometrics at the following ASC in Houston TX ( if they have particular day when they allow walk-in bio):
USCIS Application Support Center
10555 Northwest Freeway Suite 150
Houston, TX 77092-8209.

Thanks for any information. Willowher, any idea? I believe you did yours in Houston.

Are you asking if they have a dedicated day for walk-in biometrics? I do not know if they have such a thing. But most anybody who tried a walk-in, has been successful, on any day of the week. On the other hand, it is dubious if a walk-in speeds-up your case much, and we are still so far from the end of the fiscal year.

Congrats lucky and dalerpulatov.

Did your status change to PDA already? It will be about 3 days after that. But I am sure you will receive the card by the end of the month.

No. Does it have to be PDA? 'Cos as I understand the CPO is the last step, no? Am I missing a catch, here?

It is better to be over prepared rather than be sorry. If you do not get EAD by your interview day, do not worry about it. I am surprised why they asked for photos though.. But just take it with you just in case, whichever ...It should not matter whether it be a new one or the one you sent with AOS packet....Others please chime in...

is it sure that it is employment authorization they ask you to bring or employment letter? employment letter would make more sense as it can be an evidence that u wont become a public charge for the country. Otherwise what your online status says about EAD? you could print the online check status and bring it with you at the interview

Guys,

I am curious to know if any person with a F1 status who has gone for interview was asked an affidavit of support. I am going to be applying jointly with my spouse and just want to be prepared.

Thanks

Yes you most likely will need affidavit of support, in order to make it certain you have to receive interview letter stating the requirement for Aff. of Support.

If you are not working, you must tell someone (relative, friends and etc. who are permanent residents or US citizens) who are reluctant and agree to support you for a year in order to make sure for immigration (USCIS) that you'll not be public charge for a year. Moreover, her income should be above poverty line.

Personally, I had a friend who agreed to file Affidavit of Support for me and immigration officer took my original document from me.

Others, please add something.

P.S. Google Affidavit of Support and Poverty Line for more information

I am not here with a F1 visa. I entered the country with a J1 which is also a student visa (international student doing an internship or semester in the states). I provided the affidavit of support along with the AOS package back in october. the attached letter with the interview letters still asked me to bring proof of affidavit of support which I did but the IO did not ask for it. However, if i were you i will go at the interview with affidavit of support. if your sponsor is American, bring his or her copy of birth certificate. If not American, a copy of hsi or her greencard