• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Edward1mel, thanks for sharing your experience. I have the same concerns about USCIS folks not knowing DV cases are to be processed on an expedited basis.

Luganskman, perhaps when you go for your infopass appointment you can tell (remind) them that DV cases have a sunset provision (expire at the end of fiscal year) and that we should not have to wait in line with everyone else doing AOS. Those of us who are current in Oct-Dec may have the luxury of waiting 5-6 months for an interview, but those who are current towards the end of the fiscal year would be screwed. See what they say and please share. The info you will provide might be useful when the next one of us goes for an infopass appt. Thanks!

Let's hang in there, it is still early :)

Hi Luganskman and hi to everyone in this forum,

I'm in the same situation as luganskman. Right now it's been almost 30 days since biometrics were done. I called KCC about a week after biometrics appointment and their answer was: "No, your local field office hasn't requested your file yet." So, I almost immediately went ahead and made an appointment for InfoPASS, went there few days ago and as Natta has described it once the answer was practically the following same:
"There are a lot of other people doing AoS at this time who are in front of you, so you're in line and just wait and see."
I got really upset for the rest of my day after hearing this. This is what I was concerned about before. I know that I-485 process in my FO takes 5-6 months. So does it mean that I would have to wait in line with all family-based and other categories of AoS cases (there are about 500 of them currently in line) and be called for Interview only in March or even later although my visa number has been already current and available in October???

You can understand how desperate I feel now, kind of helpless, because I can't do much.
What I thought would be probably helpful in this situation is to bring some Print out Information or Quote from USCIS website or from KCC, stating that DV lottery AoS are processed quicker then family-based AoS cases and that they are not in the same line as all other AoS cases. I won't mind waiting several months in line if there would be no expiration of our chance and right for GC and the rule to complete everything by September. But because there is one we can't wait for months.

Guys what would you suggest me to do now? Please share your thoughts and advices.
I and many others who got stuck with Interview letters will appreciate it a lot.

And thanks to everyone for the input in this forum what makes this forum so great and so helpful.

Ok guys. I'll try to get as much information as I can from them. And I agree with you all about remind them that DV cases depends on time.

Hi Guys,
I was also checking our timeline spreadsheet and noticed that lots of us are experiencing delays, especially for the interview letter! I am not quite there yet but I am already a bit concern on why this is happening. Although I read the 2010-AOS forum before, I ve a pretty bad memory and I cann't remember if this delay is normal.. Does anyone remember seen any timeline from the previuos years? It would be good to be able to compare them.

Hey Guys, read all your comments regarding delay. What can I say?!? I was the first one from the entire forum to do Biometrics, as early as October 28th and not letter for interview or any news, people that send the AOS latter and did Biometrics latter received their GC already, and us, no news, What is really going on. It looks like the Interview Letters Stoped coming completely.

We were selected for Dv program. We flew to our interview in Moscow which which was on 10.09.2010. with our small babies. We had all documents they needed, absolutely no missing documents. Me and my wife have MBA in finance.
American consul looked at his computer and congratulated us saying that our visa has been approved. He said to leave our passports and DHL.We flew back home, but after 2 days Russian lady called us and said that our documents will be send to some administrative processing, which can takes 2 months or more.After I asked how about our passports? She replayed- "Oh do we have them?" I said Yes you do. Okay then she said we'll keep them." This is so strange, don't they understand that if we want to travel somewhere else we need our passports? Since then we never heard from them, and have no clue what is going on.Would anyone please suggest us what should we do in this kind of situation?

I have no idea what to do in this situation.
As for othe rmembers that say that CP is better and easier, this is the reason why me and my husband didn't go for CP. I can't imagine to be in this situation and not be able to come back and to finish my degree( I have 1 semester left) At least with AOS we are already here and live our life like we did before and wait.

We were selected for Dv program. We flew to our interview in Moscow which which was on 10.09.2010. with our small babies. We had all documents they needed, absolutely no missing documents. Me and my wife have MBA in finance.
American consul looked at his computer and congratulated us saying that our visa has been approved. He said to leave our passports and DHL.We flew back home, but after 2 days Russian lady called us and said that our documents will be send to some administrative processing, which can takes 2 months or more.After I asked how about our passports? She replayed- "Oh do we have them?" I said Yes you do. Okay then she said we'll keep them." This is so strange, don't they understand that if we want to travel somewhere else we need our passports? Since then we never heard from them, and have no clue what is going on.Would anyone please suggest us what should we do in this kind of situation?

Unfortunately, it happens some times, most of the times when you apply for regular visa.

If I were you Ii would bug them everyday by calling and asking for the clarification.

Hey Guys, read all your comments regarding delay. What can I say?!? I was the first one from the entire forum to do Biometrics, as early as October 28th and not letter for interview or any news, people that send the AOS latter and did Biometrics latter received their GC already, and us, no news, What is really going on. It looks like the Interview Letters Stoped coming completely.

I called USCIS hoping to get some clarification, but was unable talk to real person. Automatic machine gave the same info which is published on the site in my portfolio.

Maybe our background checks are not cleared (which would really suck)

For my calculation based on historical data, firs of us should get Interview letter starting form 5th of November (that actually did happen) , and second wave should come about after 20th of November. But as far as we had the holiday's at the middle of the week it can impact that process. So I can assume that second wave should be at the end of that week (because people just became return from their vacations and mail can take several days to come) or next week.
So be happy and full of hope guys. :)

I have a question guys. So we all registered with USCIS and created a Portfolio and signed up for updates by email and text message. So if they send the Interview letter, are there any changes in the satus, is there a hard or a soft LUD when we check online? Because as of right now, my Last Updated Date is October 29th which would be the day after the Biometrics, when I supposed the Biometrics cleared and the results came back from FBI and the file was requested from KCC which I called a while ago and confirmed. Now I am wondering if I should keep checking the status online, if nothing changes when the send the interview letter, so just keep waiting for the mail daily.

Thank you, Yoni123 for the great analysis.

Well, I've done some further calculations based on the average number for the last 8 years and come up with the following estimates starting February (again this is only for EU):

Month October November December January February March April May June July August September
2011 9,600 12,500 13,600 15,400 16,834 19,053 20,919 23,238 25,356 27,119 28,619 30,969

Sorry, looks like I have some troubles with formatting...

I have compiled a table that includes last couple of years info for EU only (sorry I might do that for other areas if time permits)
Hope this info would be useful for those still waiting to be current....
View attachment 18179

DV October November December January February March April May June July August September
2002 12,800 15,150 16,600 19,000 Current Current
2003 8,100 14,000 15,850 18,000 19,125 22,500 26,250 29,550 33,000 36,000 37,200 39,100
2004 8,000 10,100 13,900 15,000 15,600 17,800 19,000 20,000 21,300 23,350 25,900 28,700
2005 10,850 10,850 13,000 14,900 16,600 17,150 18,200 20,000 20,500 20,500 20,500 20,500
2006 3,000 3,900 5,500 6,800 8,300 9,850 11,225 12,850 14,200 15,250 16,000 Current
2007 3,450 5,700 7,700 9,900 10,400 13,175 15,100 16,000 19,000 23,000 Current Current
2008 5,800 9,200 11,100 13,600 15,300 17,600 20,625 23,500 26,000 29,000 Current Current
2009 6,600 11,000 12,900 15,400 17,100 19,800 20,800 24,900 28,000 Current Current Current
2010 9,100 9,500 12,400 19,750 22,400 24,700 26,300 29,250 31,000 32,000 Current Current
2011 9,600 12,500 13,600 15,400

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question guys. So we all registered with USCIS and created a Portfolio and signed up for updates by email and text message. So if they send the Interview letter, are there any changes in the satus, is there a hard or a soft LUD when we check online? Because as of right now, my Last Updated Date is October 29th which would be the day after the Biometrics, when I supposed the Biometrics cleared and the results came back from FBI and the file was requested from KCC which I called a while ago and confirmed. Now I am wondering if I should keep checking the status online, if nothing changes when the send the interview letter, so just keep waiting for the mail daily.

Natta,

when I received my interview letter, there was neither HARD nor SOFT LUD on my portfolio.

However, there was a SOFT LUD back on November 3 just after my biometrics.

I think it's more important for you to check your mail everyday or call USPS nearest to your home and say that if there's any mail in your name.

That should help, probably. It's very strange why they didn't mail you out your interview letter. Your office is not busy and you did your biometrics early!!!???

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you but try to be patient.

dimus,
Thanks,but i sure hope you're wrong with your estimate.
Keep in mind that you cannot just do average. If you look at past numbers, the "increments" seems to be all over the place. There is no fixed value.

Thank you, Yoni123 for the great analysis.

Well, I've done some further calculations based on the average number for the last 8 years and come up with the following estimates starting February (again this is only for EU):

Month October November December January February March April May June July August September
2011 9,600 12,500 13,600 15,400 16,834 19,053 20,919 23,238 25,356 27,119 28,619 30,969

Sorry, looks like I have some troubles with formatting...

Hi all,

I got selected and want to go with AOS as well. (2011 AS24XXX)
I am on F1 status and will be graduate this month (DEC/2011).
I am wondering... do I have to apply for OPT?

05/06/2010: NL1 received
05/21/2010: Forms DSP-122/230 sent
07/2/2010: 2NL received by mail
07/12/2010: SENT $440
07/31/10: Receipt received for AOS fee

Karen:

I was exactly at the same situation. (Look at my signature)
Holding F1 visa, finishing school at December. Hesitating to apply for OPT...
I did not prefer to apply for because regarding to the things that I read from this forum and from other websites, applying for OPT may complicate the situation.
I called USCIS and asked by phone, and she told me no need to apply to OPT, as I already applied for "Work Permit" with my I-485 Aos application

Did you fill the form for "Work permit" as well?

Hi all,

I got selected and want to go with AOS as well. (2011 AS24XXX)
I am on F1 status and will be graduate this month (DEC/2011).
I am wondering... do I have to apply for OPT?

05/06/2010: NL1 received
05/21/2010: Forms DSP-122/230 sent
07/2/2010: 2NL received by mail
07/12/2010: SENT $440
07/31/10: Receipt received for AOS fee

Hi Nirvana,

Thank you for answering my question.

No, I did not fill out the form for "Work permit" yet...
Is the " work permit" form needs to send out with 485 form?
since my number is AS24xxx which is much higher then yours, and I think my number will not be current until Jun/2011,
so I have concern about the legal status to stay in the US .
(if i dont apply for OPT--> graduate this month (legally stay in US 2 months after graduate which will be the end of FEB/2011)
will I have any problem to stay in US from March to the time I get my GC??

Karen:

I was exactly at the same situation. (Look at my signature)
Holding F1 visa, finishing school at December. Hesitating to apply for OPT...
I did not prefer to apply for because regarding to the things that I read from this forum and from other websites, applying for OPT may complicate the situation.
I called USCIS and asked by phone, and she told me no need to apply to OPT, as I already applied for "Work Permit" with my I-485 Aos application

Did you fill the form for "Work permit" as well?

Hey Karen, don't forget you need to be legal before you apply for AOS. You should have some options for now what to do with your status. Try to switch to some other visa. I had the same situation (my H1 was expiring inSeptember and in October I was supposed to file for AOS). It's very serious to be legal here while AOS process. Because at the interview the officer is going to collect all your visas including the last one.

Hi Antin,

What options do I have?
I only know that I can apply for OPT but NirvanaGrunger said that applying for OPT may complicate the situation.
so I dont know what should I do now ;(

Thank you for your help.

Hey Karen, don't forget you need to be legal before you apply for AOS. You should have some options for now what to do with your status. Try to switch to some other visa. I had the same situation (my H1 was expiring inSeptember and in October I was supposed to file for AOS). It's very serious to be legal here while AOS process. Because at the interview the officer is going to collect all your visas including the last one.