• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

I don't think you can travel without the travel authorization, because once you filled the AOS package and you leave the country, your AOS is considered abandoned.

Thanks. I called them and they told me my file has not been requested, so I should get in touch with my CIS(? what is that anyway). I think I'm just gonna wait for @ least 30 days. My only concern right now is that I filed for I-131 and I'm travelling on the 21st of December. Given that my stuff entered their system on the 2nd of November, should I just start making alternate plans?

Thanks to everyone for you your diligence in answering fellow selectees' questions :).

I agree with Natta 100%! Actually, I know someone who got reject at the interview stage becase IO saw this person was out of the country during the AOS process!
I don't think you can travel without the travel authorization, because once you filled the AOS package and you leave the country, your AOS is considered abandoned.

one way to contact Missouri service center directly (which handles the lottery cases is as follows):
* Call 1-800-375-5283;
* Press 2 to check the status of an application;
* Press 1 if you know your receipt number;
* Enter your 13-character case number (ignore dashes, use 772 for SRC, 546 for LIN, etc.);
* Press 1 to confirm the number you entered;
* Listen to the current status of your case.

After listening to your case status as described above, you will be presented with options to reach the service center that is processing your case.
press 0 and then it will connect you to MSC.

Dear Khayat,

Congratulations. is the center you're mentioning above is for contacting the local field office, so you can directly ask them about the situation of your case without having an info pass.

thanks

Thank you so much, feel.
I think I will follow your suggestion :)
Yeah, after the grace period ends you are out of status if you do not apply for OPT, or change your status. Please note once you get OPT you can accumulate up to 90 days of unemployment days for a one year validity period.

Thank you for your help, onebowloflaksa.
and congratulations!!

I agree, Karen you should apply for your OPT right now, the EAD card will probably get to you before if not by Feb/March if you apply now.... that will give you the option to work before you submit your AOS packet in June/July or whenever your number becomes current. If your visa number is not current (i.e. you have not submitted your AOS packet) and you don't submit your OPT petition when you graduate, you're technically out of status.

Note: You are allowed to apply for OPT 90 days before date of graduation.

Thanks JS7
No, it is not your field office. This is Missouri Service Center. They have better knowledge of you case since those are the people who have your case and will issue your card. I read somewhere (http://immigrationroad.com/resource/check-uscis-case-status-phone.php) that this way you talk to an immigration officer instead of representative. However, I personally think they are reps. but they are more informative about DV cases. I think talking to these people are better than talking to 800 reps. This is my personal experience too.
Hope this helps.
Dear Khayat,

Congratulations. is the center you're mentioning above is for contacting the local field office, so you can directly ask them about the situation of your case without having an info pass.

thanks

I called USCIS hoping to get some clarification, but was unable talk to real person. Automatic machine gave the same info which is published on the site in my portfolio.

Maybe our background checks are not cleared (which would really suck)

[/QUOTE]
so I found this memo that might cheer up a bit the people with high #s. on page 2 question 3 ...
http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedoc..._responses.pdf [/QUOTE]

Hi, guys!!! So, just red the article.

"Individual offices keep track of the diversity adjustment cases received from the NBC, primarily by use of spread sheets. USCIS notes that the Lockbox, NBC and local field offices do everything possible to adjust these cases within the fiscal year. The Lockbox segregates out Diversity cases and expedites shipment to the NBC. The NBC, in turn, expedites the processing and routes the file(s) to the responsible field office as quickly as possible. Near the end of a fiscal year, the NBC will take extraordinary measures (for example,scanning files, overnight shipments) to get files into the hands of a field office for adjudication. Despite suchextraordinary measures, you should note that by law, CIS cannot adjust the status of any person until all background and security checks have been completed and the DV adjustment applicant has met his or her burden of tablishing statutory eligibility to adjust status." So, does it mean our background checks are not cleared? :confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

I found this link inside that link:
xxxxxxx....FY08-AR-TableVII_pdf ((sorry can't post urls)
It points to the statistics till 2008. (maybe someone can find the 2009, 2010)
But one interesting point is that most of the years they "give" much less than then 50,000 available. That means that they are NOT running out of numbers...so the fact that sometimes family of 4 is "using" 4 numbers out of one DV case is not an issue.
The issue is only delays...

so I found this memo that might cheer up a bit the people with high #s. on page 2 question 3 ...

------------------1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008,
Grand Totals 54,115 47,715 45,450 43,368 50,810 48,044 48,151 46,145 40,076 46,633

Yoni, what is your current immigration status? I see OOS in the google spreadsheet so was wondering...

------------------1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008,
Grand Totals 54,115 47,715 45,450 43,368 50,810 48,044 48,151 46,145 40,076 46,633

I hope so too that I'm wrong with my estimate. Hope to become current in February but it can me March or...
dimus,
Thanks,but i sure hope you're wrong with your estimate.
Keep in mind that you cannot just do average. If you look at past numbers, the "increments" seems to be all over the place. There is no fixed value.

Yes Mechta
Hi, guys!!! So,, sometimes this happens...
Specially if you fall under the " under common name" category, If someone with a criminal background happens to share the same name as you, expect delays! :(

"Individual offices keep track of the diversity adjustment cases received from the NBC, primarily by use of spread sheets. USCIS notes that the Lockbox, NBC and local field offices do everything possible to adjust these cases within the fiscal year. The Lockbox segregates out Diversity cases and expedites shipment to the NBC. The NBC, in turn, expedites the processing and routes the file(s) to the responsible field office as quickly as possible. Near the end of a fiscal year, the NBC will take extraordinary measures (for example,scanning files, overnight shipments) to get files into the hands of a field office for adjudication. Despite suchextraordinary measures, you should note that by law, CIS cannot adjust the status of any person until all background and security checks have been completed and the DV adjustment applicant has met his or her burden of tablishing statutory eligibility to adjust status." So, does it mean our background checks are not cleared? :confused::confused::confused::(:(:([/QUOTE]

Khayat,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Great News......enjoy the new found freedom.

Fellas,
I had my interview yesterday. It was very easy like everybody has said so far. the officer was very nice and only asked personal questions about my field of studies and life. He checked my passport and driver's license only and took my I-94 and asked if I had left the country ever-since I got here. He asked me if I have traveled inside the united states. It took 10-15 mins only. He also checked the yes/no questions on the I-485.
CPO was today.

I am wishing best for all of you and I understand how frustrating it could be for all of my friends here especially who applied in october. All I can say is pray and wait. time is on our side.

I'm in somewhat similar case of capolive from DV2010
I'm officially Out Of Status (OOS).
I came to US before 2000 with B2, then extended, then converted to F1. I applied for LC (labor certification) on 04/30/2001. So that got me grandfathered under 245(i).
After 5 years...The LC got approved in 2006....I applied for I140 and I485+I485A. After couple of months I got RFE, and they didn't like my employer's economic condition (taxes). The I-140 and 485 got rejected as my sponsor/employer taxes did not satisfy USCIS...
So I've been waiting since. I participate in the DV every year and got it with the 2011...
Hopefully my EU29xxx will become current around May-June. I would send the I-485+I485A (i245), send them $1080+$1000 and see what happens.

Yoni, what is your current immigration status? I see OOS in the google spreadsheet so was wondering...