• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

one question guys!!! can you change the interview date?

It is not recommended but yes you can. You just need to return the Interview notice and fill out the box at the bottom the reason why you cannot keep the interview and sign and date it back to the USCIS office address at the top right corner.

NOTE: Your interview may be delayed a few more months if you do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are filing the I-485 based on the DV catergory, then NO you don't have to file your I-140.
You company can file an I-140 on your behalf (which is in no way related to the DV lottery), if you have an approved LC (labor certification).
Do you have an approved LC? In which case you can file the I-140 based on that; from what I gathered by speaking to certain prominent lawyers it is not advisable to file concurrent I-485 applications (i.e 2 seperate I-485 applications for the same person); but you can still file the I-140 through the company.

Hello Everyone,

I got a letter from KCC stating that I could now file an adjustment of status with the USCIS. But it also indicates that I need to make a payment to the Department of State. After researching, I believe the amount is $440 payable to the Department of State. What other form should I send out along with the paper sent to me from KCC?

Also, the bigger question I have is that I am currently on H1B status. My number just got current. I overheard from someone that I would need to send I-140 but I am confused as to why and to whom? Does anyone know? I thought the only things I need to file is I-485 along with the many other items requested by the USCIS.

I am so confused as to what my next step should be. Could someone please guide me through this? Thank you.

KCC file missing at the interview

Hi,

I realized that I should not force my comments in the online sheet and finally joined this forum. Hello everyone !!!

So, my husband (winner) and I had out interview yesterday at Milwaukee Office, but very nice FO could not make a decision since, despite his request made 3 weeks ago, KCC did not sent the DV file. He said he also requested it again and hopes they will sent it soon.

So, I finally called KCC and asked what is going on. Not-so-nice representative told me that they have not send a requested file since here are 3 ppl on the file ( us+my husbands daughter that lives with her mom in home country) , but we only paid $880.

I explained that my husbands duaghter will not do AOS with us and representative told us that we should have informed them of that. I said that with DSP122 and photos, we sent a cover letter clearly explaining this. Representative said they never got it. Then I said that it is strange since they replied to our document and cover letter acknowledging that we have informed them of our intentions. She than said she will need to investigate and to call again tomorrow and hang up.

Well ..... lets hope she will find out file and send it to our filed office.....

Newbe

Why don't you send them an email and a postal mail (certified one) just in case explaining everything. Meantime give them a call every other day. This is too bad!

Hi,

I realized that I should not force my comments in the online sheet and finally joined this forum. Hello everyone !!!

So, my husband (winner) and I had out interview yesterday at Milwaukee Office, but very nice FO could not make a decision since, despite his request made 3 weeks ago, KCC did not sent the DV file. He said he also requested it again and hopes they will sent it soon.

So, I finally called KCC and asked what is going on. Not-so-nice representative told me that they have not send a requested file since here are 3 ppl on the file ( us+my husbands daughter that lives with her mom in home country) , but we only paid $880.

I explained that my husbands duaghter will not do AOS with us and representative told us that we should have informed them of that. I said that with DSP122 and photos, we sent a cover letter clearly explaining this. Representative said they never got it. Then I said that it is strange since they replied to our document and cover letter acknowledging that we have informed them of our intentions. She than said she will need to investigate and to call again tomorrow and hang up.

Well ..... lets hope she will find out file and send it to our filed office.....

Newbe

Well Thank you Newbe for sharing this information. Now we know how important it is to call KCC before the interview.
I am sure you'll be fine. However, his daughter did not need GC, he did not need to enter her information in the lottery form I guess.
Please let us know what happens to your case.

Hi,

Newbe

Re: KCC file missing at the interview

Hi,

We entered my husbands teenage daugther's info, since lottery form asked to enter all children under 21 even if they do not plan to come to US. But the fee instruction say to pay only for ppl doing AOS. We attached cover letter to make sure it is clear what we are doing. I feel that we did everything right, but ppl at the KCC seem to be overworked and maybe miss things. Hopefully we will sort this out and have KCC forward our file soon. We are not worried since we have plenty of time and no plans to travel soon or anything.

Few notes for ppl preparing their packages: We are F1 doing PhD. We used suggested list from this forum, except we sent university instead high school diploma. We had no sponsor, but did send in tax forms from last two years. Interview letter did not ask for any additional stuff nor for the originals and FO did not ask for any. Milwaukee seems to be fast and nice office, we had our interview in less than 1.5 mo. after submission of our package and in the same day as biometrics. Our FO did not want us to have to drive for an 1.5 hour and back twice :)

Newbe

Hi,

We entered my husbands teenage daugther's info, since lottery form asked to enter all children under 21 even if they do not plan to come to US. But the fee instruction say to pay only for ppl doing AOS. We attached cover letter to make sure it is clear what we are doing. I feel that we did everything right, but ppl at the KCC seem to be overworked and maybe miss things. Hopefully we will sort this out and have KCC forward our file soon. We are not worried since we have plenty of time and no plans to travel soon or anything.

Few notes for ppl preparing their packages: We are F1 doing PhD. We used suggested list from this forum, except we sent university instead high school diploma. We had no sponsor, but did send in tax forms from last two years. Interview letter did not ask for any additional stuff nor for the originals and FO did not ask for any. Milwaukee seems to be fast and nice office, we had our interview in less than 1.5 mo. after submission of our package and in the same day as biometrics. Our FO did not want us to have to drive for an 1.5 hour and back twice :)

Newbe

Glad you had a good experience with your FO... :)

Just a suggestion, but does the FO officer know that your DV file was not sent to the office because of fee issue and the miscommunication with KCC? It might be helpful to try to get this updated information to him if you can. I know the field officer is not reachable by appointment but it might help to make an INFOPASS at the office to ATTEMPT TO drop off a letter for him or tell the officer there about your situation during your INFOPASS appointment.

Thank you for additional info,
I am a PhD F1 too and I did send the tax info for the past 3 years. Seems like that took care of financial ability for you.
How long was your interview and what was asked from you guys?

Good luck newbe

PS.
We need to keep this in mind that USCIS has a lot of hard working and nice people like what you have experienced. If you read the past few years forums you can see quite a few of this sort of stories.

Good luck to us all... green days are upon us :)
Hi,

Newbe

Dear Newbe,

Could you please share your interview with us, what did the officer ask for. did he ask for any affidavit of support? I'm exactly at your situation (PhD student on F-1).

thanks

Hi,

Newbe

@ khayat

it's very good to know if the file has been asked for or not. but if it were not, what should someone do? having an info pass and ask them to request your file?

Interview

Hi all,

Interview was very short. FO only asked yes/no questions from I485 form (told us he has to do that and not to be offended by some questions that it is just a standard) and nothing else. We asked if he needs any other info or original files and he said that everything is good and he needs nothing from us. He said that he can not make a decision since, despite his requests, KCC is not sending a DV file and he can do nothing without it. He said that either him or another officer will make a decission as soon as they get our file from KCC. I do not plan to make an Infopass, if we can sort this out in the next couple of days. But he did say, that if nothing happens in a while to come with Infopass.

We were not asked for affidavit, it appears that last 2 years of tax returns were enough Also, i forgot to say earlier, but I did make an department grad. student person write "to whom it may concern" letters for each of us saying we are graduate assistants (TAs) that will continue to receive support (~17000, health ins. and tuition remission each) until we graduate in about 2 yrs. Maybe that made a difference as well. Staff in our dept. are nice and I acctually wrote a letter and just ask person to print it out on official letter paper and sing, that I need it for visa purposes. Hope this helps.

Newbe

Hey guys I have a question for whom pass interview already.
Did anyone payed attention, when you came at the interview, to the 1st Notification Letter that we all must bring with us?
I'm asking because I just fond out that my attorney sent me back a COPY of that document and not the ORIGINAL. So I don't know where is my ORIGINAL notification.
I have the scan of it and can print it as many copies as I want. But we all know that we were asked to bring original one at the Interview.

JS7,
from what I have learned they usually ask for KCC file right after your biometric is cleared. Mine was requested on that day.
for me, if I get an interview letter and like 2 weeks before the interview date if the file is not requested, I would make an infopass for sure

They can not approve you without KCC file

@ khayat

it's very good to know if the file has been asked for or not. but if it were not, what should someone do? having an info pass and ask them to request your file?

Hey guys I have a question for whom pass interview already.
Did anyone payed attention, when you came at the interview, to the 1st Notification Letter that we all must bring with us?
I'm asking because I just fond out that my attorney sent me back a COPY of that document and not the ORIGINAL. So I don't know where is my ORIGINAL notification.
I have the scan of it and can print it as many copies as I want. But we all know that we were asked to bring original one at the Interview.

Luganskman,

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about... I was freaked out about that at first too, but later found out that the original was sent along with the package, so the IO should have it in the file.

However, although it was stated in the interview notice, I was not asked for it (original or a copy) on the day of the interview.

The required documents attached to the interview letter as mentioned before by other members is generic and some of the items may not apply to the individual if it has already been submitted or it may not apply to the individual if it's not relevant (for example, bringing a court certified letter for previous charges)

JS7,
from what I have learned they usually ask for KCC file right after your biometric is cleared. Mine was requested on that day.
for me, if I get an interview letter and like 2 weeks before the interview date if the file is not requested, I would make an infopass for sure

Not necessarily, since my file was actually requested before I received the 1st biometrics/interview letter sent out to me from the local USCIS office (2nd biometrics notice came later on from MSC office, but is treated as a duplicate) and my DV file also was at the local office before my biometrics appointment (found out through my INFOPASS appointment when I was trying to change my biometrics date).

I guess it depends on the field office and officer who is handling the case.

I said usually,
the punch line is check with KCC 10 days before and make an infopass if it has not been requested

Not necessarily, since my file was actually requested before I received the 1st biometrics/interview letter sent out to me from the local USCIS office (2nd biometrics notice came later on from MSC office, but is treated as a duplicate) and my DV file also was at the local office before my biometrics appointment (found out through my INFOPASS appointment when I was trying to change my biometrics date).

I guess it depends on the field office and officer who is handling the case.

I said usually,
the punch line is check with KCC 10 days before and make an infopass if it has not been requested

Got ya.. but I just wanted to point out that it could actually be requested before the biometrics since it happened in my case.. :p

Agreed on the follow up with the DV file before the interview... glad there's another that is on the same page on this as well.

Newbe

Just a suggestion, but does the FO officer know that your DV file was not sent to the office because of fee issue and the miscommunication with KCC? It might be helpful to try to get this updated information to him if you can. I know the field officer is not reachable by appointment but it might help to make an INFOPASS at the office to ATTEMPT TO drop off a letter for him or tell the officer there about your situation during your INFOPASS appointment.

I do not think that doing an infopass in this situation will do any good. It will not do any harm either, do not get me wrong. But Newbe's problem is not with the local FO, or even USCIS, but with KCC.

Newbe, take feel's advice and just try calling KCC again in a few days and see if they have any news.
There was a similar case last year and it took a few weeks, several emails and at least one certified letter for KCC to finally fix their error. This does not mean that it cannot be faster for you.

JS7,

Infopass can be useful if the FO did not request your file. However, if the problem is with KCC not releasing the file as in Newbe's case, then an infopass will not help much.