• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Dear Frenchie,
I'm sorry but it was a typo. I meant that my OPT started on February 2010. Is it still valid?
Also, will I have to get the tax return forms ONLY from employers that paid me a payment stub (check)?
If you could maybe send me a private massage regarding the procedure because I don't have much ideas about taxes and all.
Thanks a bunch!

Dear Dima,

I am not answering via private message because last week when i panicked on that same matter, i would have love to read comment about this topics.
in that case you are fine. Taxes from yr current OPT will have to be paid on 2011. Yes, i would get 1099 forms and then fill out the tax return forms for jobs I could got paycheck from. am really not an expert on taxes, i dont wanna say things i am not sure about, call or go see the IRS if my answers are not helpful enough.

Izzy,

I appreciate yr help. However retain yourself, if u dont wanna answer a question, simply dont answer. I ask questions that makes sense to me from my past experience, if u re not happy with a question, u dont have to answer it, u can disregard. Thank u for the other questions u answered.
Initials seem to be mandatory on each page as someone's case from DV2009 got returned to him just for that reason. I just wondered if it had to appear at the specific location on the page.

Hi gang,

Here is some information regarding the F-1 status during the AOS process. There has been some discussion on this thread about how it is sort of a gray area when it comes to grad students having an assistantship and if you need to get an EAD for this while you are adjusting status. The international student office at my university brought in a couple of folks from DOS and USCIS to answer employment and immigration-related questions, and I specifically asked about the F-1 status during and after (if GC application is unsuccessful for any reason) going through AOS. They told me that the F-1 status and all of its provisions should remain unaffected while you wait for the AOS decision. That is, employment on campus at max 50% (TA or RA for example), for which you didn't need the employment authorization form in the first place, can be carried on as usual. Even in the case of students on OPT, who already have an EAD specifically issued for OPT employment, there is no need to apply for a new EAD under the AOS umbrella. If, for whatever reason, your GC application is not successful, you can revert to your F-1 status without repercussions (even if on OPT). However, when you apply for employment authorization with your AOS package (forms 485 + 765), and you activate your EAD, if your GC application is denied, then you cannot revert to F-1. This may be just a refresher for some, but I thought I'd convey what I heard from the mouths of USCIS and DOS employees.

The thing that struck me while in this Q&A session was how lucky we are to be in this position! Most questions were about OPT, H1B, employers petitioning for your GC and all the hoops you have to go through in order to become a permanent resident. Winning the visa lottery is exactly what this is, winning the lottery! We get to apply for permanent residence and short-circuit all the loops most people need to go through. And I think people with high degrees have it relatively easy compared to other categories. All I'm saying is that this is a great opportunity and I'd like to think I am doing a thorough job researching the process, and making sure I'm preparing a complete and correct application package. This has been emphasized lately on this thread but I’m reiterating: folks, try not to squander this chance by taking unnecessary risks. Better to be safe than sorry. Do your homework, choose the appropriate path as it pertains to your case, and I believe you'll be fine. This thread has been a great resource, and there are many knowledgeable users ready to help out, but that does not mean you don't have to do your own (at least basic) research. There are other places worth checking out for answers to your questions, such as the USCIS website or immihelp.com where some of the steps are basically laid out for you, and where you can find links to things such as civil surgeon offices and whatnot. I'm actually surprised that some of the more diligent posters here have not snapped earlier, and have patiently answered and re-answered questions regarding all the minutia of the application process.

And with that I conclude my rant, and wish good luck to all of you!

Folks, you know how they say that there are no stupid questions? Well let me shatter that myth right here: there are tons of dumb questions! What you want to do as 'asker' is to minimize the number of inept inquiries (mostly by using common sense), and as 'answerer' you can... uhm... well... just stop with the stupid questions people! Now my rant is over.

Dear nncu,

Thank you much for sharing this information with us. It is kind of you to do so and congrats on having such a great international office. My school's International office just looks for a reason to put you in trouble.
Well, it is good news that we can fall back on F1! Phew. I had heard it before that you will fall back on it and they let you finish your study which makes sense...

One question though, Did they specifically say that only if EAD was activated you will be in trouble and applying for it is OK? or this was your conclusion.

Thanks and Good luck
Hi gang,

Here is some information regarding the F-1 status during the AOS process. There has been some discussion on this thread about how it is sort of a gray area when it comes to grad students having an assistantship and if you need to get an EAD for this while you are adjusting status. The international student office at my university brought in a couple of folks from DOS and USCIS to answer employment and immigration-related questions, and I specifically asked about the F-1 status during and after (if GC application is unsuccessful for any reason) going through AOS. They told me that the F-1 status and all of its provisions should remain unaffected while you wait for the AOS decision. That is, employment on campus at max 50% (TA or RA for example), for which you didn't need the employment authorization form in the first place, can be carried on as usual. Even in the case of students on OPT, who already have an EAD specifically issued for OPT employment, there is no need to apply for a new EAD under the AOS umbrella. If, for whatever reason, your GC application is not successful, you can revert to your F-1 status without repercussions (even if on OPT). However, when you apply for employment authorization with your AOS package (forms 485 + 765), and you activate your EAD, if your GC application is denied, then you cannot revert to F-1. This may be just a refresher for some, but I thought I'd convey what I heard from the mouths of USCIS and DOS employees.

The thing that struck me while in this Q&A session was how lucky we are to be in this position! Most questions were about OPT, H1B, employers petitioning for your GC and all the hoops you have to go through in order to become a permanent resident. Winning the visa lottery is exactly what this is, winning the lottery! We get to apply for permanent residence and short-circuit all the loops most people need to go through. And I think people with high degrees have it relatively easy compared to other categories. All I'm saying is that this is a great opportunity and I'd like to think I am doing a thorough job researching the process, and making sure I'm preparing a complete and correct application package. This has been emphasized lately on this thread but I’m reiterating: folks, try not to squander this chance by taking unnecessary risks. Better to be safe than sorry. Do your homework, choose the appropriate path as it pertains to your case, and I believe you'll be fine. This thread has been a great resource, and there are many knowledgeable users ready to help out, but that does not mean you don't have to do your own (at least basic) research. There are other places worth checking out for answers to your questions, such as the USCIS website or immihelp.com where some of the steps are basically laid out for you, and where you can find links to things such as civil surgeon offices and whatnot. I'm actually surprised that some of the more diligent posters here have not snapped earlier, and have patiently answered and re-answered questions regarding all the minutia of the application process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frenchiechs,

If you ever applied for EAD through OPT or had H1B or other kinds of work permit, you would be assigned an Alien Registration Number aka A# which you can find on Notice of Actions sent to you by USCIS or on EAD cards. If you don't have one or don't know, simply put "n/a". This unique A# makes it easier for them to locate any prior files on you but if you don't have one, they will use your full name and DOB to search if you had one, if not they will assign one for you. On the back of your photos, write your full name and DOB (if you don't have A#). You can also include your DV case number.

I have H1-B visa but I can not find any of A# number on my I-797C, Notice of Action. There is only receipt number but it has different format than A# number.
Any thoughts?

luganskman,

EAC/Receipt number is different from A# (which usually starts with 135). The answer is in the statement you quoted: If you don't have one or don't know, simply put "n/a". This unique A# makes it easier for them to locate any prior files on you but if you don't have one, they will use your full name and DOB to search if you had one, if not they will assign one for you.

I have H1-B visa but I can not find any of A# number on my I-797C, Notice of Action. There is only receipt number but it has different format than A# number.
Any thoughts?

Thanks nncu for taking the time and effort to share this important piece of information, and I am sure many will appreciate/benefit from this.

We are indeed very lucky to have been selected for DV. I bet any of us ever visited those FB and EB AoS threads, but there are many heartbreaking stories where people have lost all their life savings just to get this piece of plastic, and yet with results in vain for so many...

Thanks again and good luck to you too!!!

Hi gang,

Here is some information regarding the F-1 status during the AOS process...

Khayat,

I know this question was directed towards nncu which I believe s/he will answer based on info from that seminar. But I wanted to give my 2 cents: Applying for EAD/AP does not do anything, it is only said to automatically invalidate your current non-immigrant status when you USE those benefits (i.e., you work with your AOS based EAD and your employer reports your income to IRS or you travel using AP).

And yes, 10 days until FY 2011!!! Good Luck!

Dear nncu,

Thank you much for sharing this information with us. It is kind of you to do so and congrats on having such a great international office. My school's International office just looks for a reason to put you in trouble.
Well, it is good news that we can fall back on F1! Phew. I had heard it before that you will fall back on it and they let you finish your study which makes sense...

One question though, Did they specifically say that only if EAD was activated you will be in trouble and applying for it is OK? or this was your conclusion.

Thanks and Good luck

Hey Guys,
Question about work history:
1. In my 7 months of OPT, I have worked here and there, but never somewhere in a stable everyday way (film industry). My highest wage was a $500 check and now I asked them about the tax return forms and they say the following:
Our records show the company provided you with check xxxxxx, in the amount of $500, in March of this year for your translation services. Since the total sum dispersed to you in 2010 is less than the reportable $600 threshold, you will not be receiving a form 1099 from us for tax filing.
Is that true?
2. If yes, what work history do I put on the G-325A form? Only ones that paid checks? All of my employers? Only ones that paid over $600 (none)? Or do not put any work whatsoever? I did a lot of work for free or for very little cash too.
Pleas help me with this as I don't want to make mistakes.
Thank you!!!

khayat,

Izzy is right (as usual -are you from USCIS Izzy? just kidding-). You can apply for EAD and advanced parole and have them just in case. But if you decide to use them (i.e., to accept employment, or run to Cancun for Spring Break), you forfeit your F-1 status by doing so. I did not ask this question specifically, as there were many people with questions, but that was my understanding from what they said. However, I already had that question answered during an appointment with an immigration adviser from my great international student office a couple of months ago. That instance I specifically asked about the difference between applying and using those documents, and the dude said my F-1 is safe as long as I don't activate any of them. I hope this helps with your qualms; I for one am not fretting anymore about the F-1 situation.

N.

Dear nncu,

Thanks and Good luck

Thanks nncu,

I am pretty sure I can postpone the Cancun trip for after I get the GC. May be we all go together. And yes Izzy in a secret USCIS agent here watching us... :p

khayat,

Izzy is right (as usual -are you from USCIS Izzy? just kidding-). You can apply for EAD and advanced parole and have them just in case. But if you decide to use them (i.e., to accept employment, or run to Cancun for Spring Break), you forfeit your F-1 status by doing so. I did not ask this question specifically, as there were many people with questions, but that was my understanding from what they said. However, I already had that question answered during an appointment with an immigration adviser from my great international student office a couple of months ago. That instance I specifically asked about the difference between applying and using those documents, and the dude said my F-1 is safe as long as I don't activate any of them. I hope this helps with your qualms; I for one am not fretting anymore about the F-1 situation.

N.

all,
i would like to comment that izzy has been a very helpful resource for the 2011'ers ever since she joined. i'm sure many of you have read her posts and find them useful. and from what i read from her answer to one of your questions ... i personally felt that she meant it as a joke. so, folks, let's all chill ... ok?

Ditto

all,
i would like to comment that izzy has been a very helpful resource for the 2011'ers ever since she joined. i'm sure many of you have read her posts and find them useful. and from what i read from her answer to one of your questions ... i personally felt that she meant it as a joke. so, folks, let's all chill ... ok?

Izzy120

Hey Izzy120,Thank you for you reply and suggestions.Seems like I will wait till my case number will become current and i will send my $440 check to DOS.By that do i make myself clear that,even if I want to change my processing to CP,will i have plenty of time and will KCC approve that .Lets say my number becomes CURRENT in August and I know it already on July.By then if I call KCC and resubmit the forms DSP 122,DS part 1 and part 2 will that be ok?

And how long will they take to accept that resubmission and change my processing to CP?And lets say they accept that and allow me to do CP,now what will they be sending me and by how much of time.If my number is current then will they be sending me the NL2 mentioning the interview date .If its so then i think i can collect that letter over here in USA and fly back to nepal inorder to be interviewed.Sounds easy but can you please explain me what specs do you see on my case

My case number is 2011 AS 39***

Hey Guys/Gals,
My question is similar to Izzy's:
Story: I'm F1 OPT student valid until Feb 2011. My wife is in status P3 till Nov 3rd, 2010. Because of a work engagement, I'll only be back in the US on October 30th and be able to submit mine and her AOS application Oct 30th, or Nov 1st which is very risky for my wife. I don't know if they will consider her in status or not if even I send overnight shipping on the 30th.
Questions:
What if I want to do CP process for my wife?
Is it possible to change from AOS to CP?
How do I do that? We already paid the $440 each and medical exam but not the $1010.
Does she have to wait for me to be approved?
How long does it take?

If you could refer me to the right thread or answer yourselves. I couldn't find anyone in my tricky situation. Hope someone out there can help me, friends.
BTW, you are life savers, how did I live without this forum before?!

hi guys,

i just found this: "Family-sponsored applications require G-325A, those with military experience should use G-325B, and employer-sponsored applications call for G-325C. When in doubt, use G-325". Very helpful Checklists have been posted on this thread and mentionned the G325A form. Each case is individual though. you must make sure you are filling the appropriate G325 form.

questions form G-325:

1/ i have been doing paid internships for the last three years as the J1 visa is a very easy to get in the states (I have got my 1099 forms and 1 W2 from my internships). Should my internships in the "applicants employment last five years" box?

2/ i did an unpaid internship in Spain. Should it appear on this box?

3/ i worked something like 30 days in total in france for the last three years when i had to wait to get another J1. should it appear as well?

4/ for the last five years residency, sometimes, I traveled to France for 10 days, another time i was at my friends place in nyc for five days when i was looking for a new apartment, should it all appear in the applicant residence last five years?

Thank you for your help
Frencheichs

Hi Saajin,

I think although you have time to decide, you should make up your mind regarding CP or AOS as soon as you can. It will take a couple of months for KCC to process your new request. If you wanna do CP you better notify KCC at least 4,5 months before your case becomes current. Here is a thought and I am writing it this way to be more clear:

Most probably your case will be current in AUG or September here is your 2 options:

1: AOS: you will know about you number status in the advance notification that comes in June 10th. You need to send you AOS package to Chicago on June 11th and then cross your fingers
2: CP: you will have to notify KCC before April or even March, Then they will call you to go to your requested consulate around Aug or Sep. and again you have to cross your fingers to : 1: your FBI check clears soon 2: there is still a visa available to you.

Cheers and good luck, like I said I don't wanna give you false hope but last year, high numbers still managed to get their GC on time.
Izzy, Leon, nncu and other experts please comment if I was not clear here...

Izzy120

Hey Izzy120,Thank you for you reply and suggestions.Seems like I will wait till my case number will become current and i will send my $440 check to DOS.By that do i make myself clear that,even if I want to change my processing to CP,will i have plenty of time and will KCC approve that .Lets say my number becomes CURRENT in August and I know it already on July.By then if I call KCC and resubmit the forms DSP 122,DS part 1 and part 2 will that be ok?

And how long will they take to accept that resubmission and change my processing to CP?And lets say they accept that and allow me to do CP,now what will they be sending me and by how much of time.If my number is current then will they be sending me the NL2 mentioning the interview date .If its so then i think i can collect that letter over here in USA and fly back to nepal inorder to be interviewed.Sounds easy but can you please explain me what specs do you see on my case

My case number is 2011 AS 39***

frenchiechs, here is my take on it.
1) & 2) Yes. I would include all internships, paid or unpaid.

3) No. No point in listing such short term jobs here and there.

4) You do not have to include travel in your residency listing, nor the 5 day stay at a friend. I traveled so much for work, plus the few vacations, that I would need a lot of space to list them, if I even remembered all my trips.

This is my take on it. If Capeolive answers you in the 2010 thread, I would go with what he says :)

baobab

questions form G-325:

1/ i have been doing paid internships for the last three years as the J1 visa is a very easy to get in the states (I have got my 1099 forms and 1 W2 from my internships). Should my internships in the "applicants employment last five years" box?

2/ i did an unpaid internship in Spain. Should it appear on this box?

3/ i worked something like 30 days in total in france for the last three years when i had to wait to get another J1. should it appear as well?

4/ for the last five years residency, sometimes, I traveled to France for 10 days, another time i was at my friends place in nyc for five days when i was looking for a new apartment, should it all appear in the applicant residence last five years?

Thank you for your help
Frencheichs

dima, it is possible to change from AOS to CP , or vice versa.
You have to inform KCC of the change. Call them, then inform them in writing as well. A few people in the 2010 thread switched from AOS to CP. Maila comes to mind. You will have to search through that thread for all the details, sometime in July as far as I remember.

Your wife would have to do the medical again in the country where she will have her interview. She will have to pay the $440 fee again at the embassy together with the other visa fee.

You will not be able to recover the money paid for the medicals here in US.
You may be able to get back the $440 that you paid to KCC for your wife. I have seen this mentioned in the 2010 thread, but I do not remember of anybody who actually described this process in detail. I guess you could call KCC and ask them, maybe they will be helpful.

Dependents have to wait for the main applicant to get the approval/(GC?) if they do not go together with the main applicant. Capeolive in the 2010 thread did exactly this. He was in US, his family was in Turkey. There were some complications because USCIS did not send his file to the US embassy in Turkey. Instead, after his successful interview in US, they closed his case and sent his file to the National Records Center. He had to put a lot of pressure on them to reopen the case and fix their mistakes.

On the other hand, I think you are taking a significant risk if you plan to submit your wife's AOS file on October 30 or November 1st, while her status expires on November 3rd.

You are unnecessarily complicating your case with that oversea job in October, right when you could have your immigration status resolved for good. They better pay you handsomely, because to me the risks are not worth it. But I am not in your shoes.

baobab

Hey Guys/Gals,
My question is similar to Izzy's:
Story: I'm F1 OPT student valid until Feb 2011. My wife is in status P3 till Nov 3rd, 2010. Because of a work engagement, I'll only be back in the US on October 30th and be able to submit mine and her AOS application Oct 30th, or Nov 1st which is very risky for my wife. I don't know if they will consider her in status or not if even I send overnight shipping on the 30th.
Questions:
What if I want to do CP process for my wife?
Is it possible to change from AOS to CP?
How do I do that? We already paid the $440 each and medical exam but not the $1010.
Does she have to wait for me to be approved?
How long does it take?

If you could refer me to the right thread or answer yourselves. I couldn't find anyone in my tricky situation. Hope someone out there can help me, friends.
BTW, you are life savers, how did I live without this forum before?!

Hey guys,
On question 4 of the DSP-122 form that I submitted a long time ago back in May, I wrote down "BCIS" but I forgot to mention the name and address of my local field office (FO). How will USCIS determine my FO for AOS processing and interviewing? Will they use the online FO locator? Because I just found out that my zipcode on the USCIS online FO locator actually shows a FO that is farthest from my current address.