• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Dima,

here is quoted from USCIS website:

"Any application or petition for an individual currently in F-1 status needs to include evidence
the student has been maintaining status and has been authorized employment if applicable. Such
evidence usually can be satisfied by submitting the latest Form I-20AB/I-20ID and a copy of the
employment authorization card"

it is good to include all the copies of previous I-20s as well however, sending the latest one should be sufficient since they would not have issued the latest one have you not been in continuous legal status.

Thank you very much Khayat. You couldn't answer any better!

Do international students have to pay taxes? If yes, which taxes?
Thanks

My question also concerns this. I'm in the film industry and have been working as a freelancer on my OPT. I checked with IRS, and I didn't have to pay any taxes so I don't have TAX RETURN or W2 forms.
Also, what do I put in my work history in my G-325A since I had about a dozen small jobs, some had paychecks too. Do I include only ones with paychecks or all of them?

THANKS!

Thank you Izzy and Khayat.

You must be excited as you become current in October!

I have a long wait (soonest would be February) and i've been pushing the medicals since August as i dont feel im in a hurry...

Good luck

reptile

-- 2011AS16xxx --
Received NL2 and planning to do medicals

Izzy, Natta, Feel, Khayat & others,
Just to let you know that am still here and wishing all of you on final countdown GOODLUCK!!!
I have been overwhelmed by my job, it's been hectic lately, luckily all my stuff had been ready since August so am almost set, just a final check then all goes into one big envelope and off it goes to Chicago on the 30th. My prayer is that by Christmas the 1st batch of us will be in pole position and the rest will follow a similar favorable & successful pattern. Guys, ensure you cross the T...s and dot the I...s. There enormous resources within this forum, please use them, i have and it has benefitted me immensely. IZZY, by the way if you have H4 checklist, kindly send it my way as per our discussion.Thanks always, the GURU!!!

Thanks a lot Tuscany.
I wish you all the best as well, I guess USPS will be busy on the 30th. Good luck to everyone else as well, let the countdown begin...13 more days :)
Just to let you know that am still here and wishing all of you on final countdown GOODLUCK!!!
I have been overwhelmed by my job, it's been hectic lately, luckily all my stuff had been ready since August so am almost set, just a final check then all goes into one big envelope and off it goes to Chicago on the 30th. My prayer is that by Christmas the 1st batch of us will be in pole position and the rest will follow a similar favorable & successful pattern. Guys, ensure you cross the T...s and dot the I...s. There enormous resources within this forum, please use them, i have and it has benefitted me immensely. IZZY, by the way if you have H4 checklist, kindly send it my way as per our discussion.Thanks always, the GURU!!!

Most probably Yes Parviz, Federal Tax for sure and State tax based on the state you are from.

Some countries have different rules though. They have tax rules and regulation arrangements with US.

Do international students have to pay taxes? If yes, which taxes?
Thanks

Hey,
I understand from reading in the threads that the I-765 and I-131 (travel doc) are included in the I-485 fee of $1010 of I want it.
I wanted to know how long does it take for them to return the I-131. My number is current in October, and I got a job overseas which will start on the second week of October.
Will it be better for me to leave abroad, come back and send the AOS package or send it prior with the I-131. Another issue is that my wife is going out of status on November 3rd so if I send the AOS package for me and her say October 29th, will that be okay? I know it's risky but it's a high paying job and will open larger doors too.
Thank you!

Hi Dima,

You can take a look at 2010 thread signatures. With DV the process is expedited, usually EAD card and AP documents arrive about the same time as GC.
Yes if you thing this job is really important you can certainly postpone sending your documents to the end of October. What I understand from your case is you will be ok coming back and will be in status for longer. Regarding your wife here is some thoughts:

1: the rules say she has to be in status at the time she applies for AOS (see I-485) instructions, few argue with that saying that you need to be in status by the time you get the "notice of action" which might happen in a week to 3 weeks after sending your documents in which case she might face a problem.
2: you can go through AOS and request a CP process for her. you do your stuff here and she will be here with you, when they call her case, she goes abroad and gets her immigrant visa. This is your other option but make sure you know how to do this cause it is a more complicated route. I remember Capeolite from last year faced some problems doing this way.

Hey,
I understand from reading in the threads that the I-765 and I-131 (travel doc) are included in the I-485 fee of $1010 of I want it.
I wanted to know how long does it take for them to return the I-131. My number is current in October, and I got a job overseas which will start on the second week of October.
Will it be better for me to leave abroad, come back and send the AOS package or send it prior with the I-131. Another issue is that my wife is going out of status on November 3rd so if I send the AOS package for me and her say October 29th, will that be okay? I know it's risky but it's a high paying job and will open larger doors too.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tuscany, Good to see you around here. Good luck to you too. Stay in touch :)

Reptile, Thanks for the wishes, Good luck to you too. Your number will be current soon too. They are calling the numbers faster this year. Hopefully You will get you GC in spring. Stay in touch

Thank you Izzy and Khayat.

You must be excited as you become current in October!

I have a long wait (soonest would be February) and i've been pushing the medicals since August as i dont feel im in a hurry...

Good luck

reptile

-- 2011AS16xxx --
Received NL2 and planning to do medicals

Khayat,

Are you submitting two sets of photos (i.e., 4 total)?

N.

fellas,
here I am posting a list of documents that I will be sending as F status for you information. any suggestion will be appreciated

3. Two identical color Photographs.

14. Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization
14.1. Two passport-style photos

Hi Dima,

You can take a look at 2010 thread signatures. With DV the process is expedited, usually EAD card and AP documents arrive about the same time as GC.
Yes if you thing this job is really important you can certainly postpone sending your documents to the end of October. What I understand from your case is you will be ok coming back and will be in status for longer. Regarding your wife here is some thoughts:

1: the rules say she has to be in status at the time she applies for AOS (see I-485) instructions, few argue with that saying that you need to be in status by the time you get the "notice of action" which might happen in a week to 3 weeks after sending your documents in which case she might face a problem.
2: you can go through AOS and request a CP process for her. you do your stuff here and she will be here with you, when they call her case, she goes abroad and gets her immigrant visa. This is your other option but make sure you know how to do this cause it is a more complicated route. I remember Capeolite from last year faced some problems doing this way.

Dear Khayat,
What do you recon with the new e-notification that they notify you via email/text that they received your paperwork? That should be quicker no?
Also, what if she files an I-129 petition to extend her stay? I know even if we don't get an answer, she can maintain being legal in the US for up to 6 months or until the first answer.
Thanks,
Thanks

What happens if you file for AOS the month after you're called? Does that reduce your chances significantly? I assume it would if you had a very high number, right?

What happens if you file for AOS the month after you're called? Does that reduce your chances significantly? I assume it would if you had a very high number, right?

sob,
don't quite understand your question but i assume that if you file your aos package the month after your number becomes current. in that case you will be wasting your own time that's all, if it's in the early part of the fiscal year then that will be no problem. but at the end of the fiscal year you will run out of time.

For travel reasons I could be forced to file 1 month after becoming current (as I wouldn't want to file for AOS with an I94 that would change). Given my CN, it would not be too late in the FY though. As long as it delays the processing but does not endanger it, it would be a possibility.

For travel reasons I could be forced to file 1 month after becoming current (as I wouldn't want to file for AOS with an I94 that would change). Given my CN, it would not be too late in the FY though. As long as it delays the processing but does not endanger it, it would be a possibility.

sob,
yes, based on your cn, you shd be ok filing later and will make it in time to receive your gc.

Hi Dima,

The answer to your first question is yes.
Your second question goes sort of beyond my knowledge so I am not going to comment on it. However, let me know what your and your wife's Visa type are? Can you get a dependent visa based on your own visa before you take off abroad?

Dear Khayat,
What do you recon with the new e-notification that they notify you via email/text that they received your paperwork? That should be quicker no?
Also, what if she files an I-129 petition to extend her stay? I know even if we don't get an answer, she can maintain being legal in the US for up to 6 months or until the first answer.
Thanks,
Thanks

Dima,

Before we can give you suggestions, please give us the detailed scenario of your situation:

1. You are on F1 and on post completion OPT? How long is your OPT valid? Are you planning on traveling on your OPT?
2. Because of a job opportunity abroad, you want to travel abroad and only send in your AoS application in November rather than in October, right?
3. Your spouse is in P3 going OOS in Nov 3. So she is currently employed with the employer who petitioned for her P3 right? If you wish to extend her P3, I believe you have to do so well ahead before the status actually expires (I believe at least 45 days before the current status expires). Have you already started the process yet?

Please give us more details about your plans and how long your US visas/statuses are valid, before we can give you suggestions.

Dear Khayat,
Thanks,
Thanks

Thanks and Good Luck to you too Tuscany!