• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hi Khayat, Izzy

I will be applying for AOS probably on February, but i still have never worked while i am on F1. In the DSP-122 form, i mentioned that i would like to have an SSN issued to me. Most probably, i will be working on campus by the time i apply for AOS (after applying myself for SSN via university standard procedures). My job would either be an OPS job (Student Employment) or GA (Graduate Assistantship).

My question is the following: I will be applying for EAD along with i-485 but will not use it (unless i am penny-less and dying from hunger :)). Does it matter if i accept or continue a university position (student employment or graduate assistantship) after applying for EAD?

Let me know your thoughts about that.

thanks,
reptile

---- 2011AS16xxx -----
Received NL2 and planning to do medicals

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick one too:
Where do I list the additional person I'm paying the DV Fee for? Or do I do that at all?
Thank a bunch!

You are talking about the $440 fee, right?
The form is here: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4763.html
You do not need to specify the names of any dependent, only the total number of people for whom you are paying the fee.

Remember that you have to send a cashier check or money order, no personal check. Though somebody reported sending a personal check and being cashed, DOS asks specifically for a cashier check or money order. You also need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope so they can send the stamped receipt back.

You are a bit behind at this point, but not that much. They process the DOS/DV payment pretty fast. I received my receipt in 2 weeks. NL2 is not important at all for AOS, so no need to wait for it before you send the AOS package.

Hey Guys, a couple more questions from me:
1. Does the employment or family based visa sections in the I-485 concern us?
No.
Do I need an affidavit of support or the employment letter in my AOS package?
You must demonstrate that you are not going to be a public charge.
For this, you can use a combination of documents:
1) bank account statements;
2) pay stubs;
3) employment letter;
4) affidavit or support (I-134, not I-864);
5) assets.
You do not need to submit all of them.

For poverty guidelines, see: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
2. What's the difference between the CHICAGO LOCKBOX and the PHOENIX/DALLAS LOCKBOX?
THANK YOU!
DV based AOS applications are sent to the Chicago lockbox.
The Phoenix and Dallas locations are for other types of applicants.

baobab your are wonderful!
I can't say how grateful I am for your help!
I wish you the best with your app!

Hi Reptile,

This was today's discussion in the forum. You can go back and read the posts. As conclusion:

You are fine doing your student work. you are also fine getting EAD. It is much better not to use it though unless you are dying. The only drawback is when you get it and use it and somehow your AOS faces a problem. Then if you have used your EAD, suggestions are that you will not be able to fall back to your F status.
However, again nobody knows for certain.

I, myself , am leaning towards not getting one at this point and in case I feel like I will need it, I can apply later for 350$. I feel like at this point keeping my application simpler would be more beneficial.

Hi Khayat, Izzy

I will be applying for AOS probably on February, but i still have never worked while i am on F1. In the DSP-122 form, i mentioned that i would like to have an SSN issued to me. Most probably, i will be working on campus by the time i apply for AOS (after applying myself for SSN via university standard procedures). My job would either be an OPS job (Student Employment) or GA (Graduate Assistantship).

My question is the following: I will be applying for EAD along with i-485 but will not use it (unless i am penny-less and dying from hunger :)). Does it matter if i accept or continue a university position (student employment or graduate assistantship) after applying for EAD?

thanks,
reptile

---- 2011AS16xxx -----

Reptile,

I second khayat's understanding of the situation...

....You are fine doing your student work. you are also fine getting EAD. It is much better not to use it though unless you are dying. The only drawback is when you get it and use it and somehow your AOS faces a problem. Then if you have used your EAD, suggestions are that you will not be able to fall back to your F status...

You are still fine with working on campus using your F1 benefits. Also, since DV AoS is a rather short process, there may not even be a need to use your EAD. But again, you are still free to apply for it. Do your own research, speak/clarify with your DSO regarding working while on F1 if need be, etc. Good Luck!

Hi Khayat, Izzy

thanks,
reptile

---- 2011AS16xxx -----

Khayat,

Effective July 30, 2007, there is no fee required to file an application for EAD (i.e. I-765) and/or AP (I-131) if you file them concurrently with I-485. If you choose to file the I-765 and/or I-131 separately after filing for I-485, you only need to submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, as evidence of filing for an I-485. The fee you paid for I-485 ($1010) is included for both AP and EAD as well.

See: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=dd346d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD under "Special Instructions".

...and in case I feel like I will need it, I can apply later for 350$. I feel like at this point keeping my application simpler would be more beneficial.

Dima,

Congratulations on being selected for DV 2011 and welcome to the forum!!!

I posted a sample cover letter a while back and I am posting it again here. This is a sample that I used particular to my situation, so some of the things may not apply to you, if you are on a F1 status, you should include your latest I-20, OPT card (if you have one). Remember to always send copies (unless otherwise specified), and keep your originals in a safe place in a separate folder (you will need to take originals to the interview). Also keep a separate copy of all correspondence to/from USCIS and KCC/DOS. Please carefully read the instructions for all the forms you use, and use latest accepted forms available.
Please feel free to use/modify the cover letter below according to your needs:

First Name Last Name
Mailing Address
Phone No.
Date

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: AOS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5520

RE: Form I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status – ORIGINAL SUBMISSION

For: LAST NAME, First Name - 2011 Diversity Visa Lottery Winner
Case# 2011AS0000XXXX

Dear Sir/Madam:

In support of the referenced application for individuals named above, I am enclosing the following:

0. Cover Letter
1. Form I-485 – Application to Adjust Status
2. Personal check of $1,010, filing fee for I-485 ($930) and Biometrics ($80)
3. Two identical color photos
4. Form G-325A – Biographic Information
5. Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination in sealed envelope
6. Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization
6.1. Two identical color photos
6.2. Copy of previous Employment Authorization Documents
7. Copy of DV2011 Selection Letters from Kentucky Consular Center (KCC):
7.1. 1st Notification Letter
7.2. Receipt for DV Processing Fee from Department of State
8. Copy of Notice of Action for Current non-immigrant status
9. Copy of Passport pages – Relevant Pages:
9.1. Bio-data page (Current and Old Passports) – as government issued photo ID
9.2. Page with previous non-immigrant US visas with admission stamp
10. Copy of Original and Updated Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record
11. Copy of Birth Certificate
12. Copy of Marriage Certificate
13. Copy of Degrees and Transcripts
14. Financial Details:
14.1. Employment Verification Letter
14.2. Paystubs – Last 4
14.3. W-2– Last 2 years
14.4. Tax Returns – Last 2 years
14.5. Bank Statements – Last 4 Statements

Please feel free to contact me should you require further information.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

First Name Last Name

Do I need to add my OPT card/I-20 to the I-485 package?
Thanks.

Dima and others,

I also posted this a while back as a FYI and am posting this again:

Friendly Reminder

Just a FYI:

1. Payment for I-485:
Checks/money orders must be made payable to US Department of Homeland Security OR U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Note: with personal check, you will be able to see when it is cashed out, but with money order, it maybe faster by a day or two than compared to payment by personal check.

2. If you want to be texted/e-mailed for acceptance of your AOS at lockbox, complete and submit along with your AOS package (place one on top of the package):
Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance.

3. Make sure you read and re-read your forms before sending, if possible, ask someone else to go over them. Provide consistent and accurate information. Do NOT provide more information than needed unless you think it will have a positive impact on your application.

4. Make copies for your own records (copy after you sign). Do not send anything original unless specifically asked for. Make a separate folder/record with all the original documents.

5. Note on your cover letter/check list "ORIGINAL SUBMISSION" plus indicate it is for 2011 DV, your name and CN and on your envelope as well.

6. For organizing more than one AOS packages, you may use two hole punch on top and use fasteners separately (not required but that is how they will eventually wind up), use tabs on the bottom to separate/indicate supporting evidence, if you really feel like it, but don't go nuts over this, organize however way you feel comfortable with, but avoid using heavy duty staples, or anything that cannot be easily removed/disassembled (such as folders or binders).

7. Don't do everything in one day, sometimes people eventually find out missing stuffs after they mail it...just from the stress of it all.

8. Last but not the least, check to make sure the forms are up-to-date and currently accepted editions.

Also see USCIS general tips on assembling applications: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Good Luck!

Guys, do I need to take 2 MMR Vaccines or just a single dose is sufficient. Please advise. I fall under age group of 27-40. Thanks.

Dima,

here is quoted from USCIS website:

"Any application or petition for an individual currently in F-1 status needs to include evidence
the student has been maintaining status and has been authorized employment if applicable. Such
evidence usually can be satisfied by submitting the latest Form I-20AB/I-20ID and a copy of the
employment authorization card"

it is good to include all the copies of previous I-20s as well however, sending the latest one should be sufficient since they would not have issued the latest one have you not been in continuous legal status.

Do I need to add my OPT card/I-20 to the I-485 package?
Thanks.

fellas,
here I am posting a list of documents that I will be sending as F status for you information. any suggestion will be appreciated

1. Form I-485 - Application to Adjust Status along with Form: G-1145 - E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
2. Personal check of $1,010 - Filing Fee for I-485 ($930) and Biometrics ($80)
3. Two identical color Photographs.
4. Form G-325A - Biographic Information.
5. Form I-693 - Report of Medical Examination in sealed envelope.
6. Copy of DV2011 1st Notification Letter - Selection Letter from DOS, KCC
7. Copy of 2nd Letter from KCC - Acknowledging intention to apply for Adjustment of Status.
8. Copy of Receipt of AOS Fee Payment of $440 to Department of State.
9. Copy of Government issued photo ID: a: Driver’s License and b: Passport
10. Copy of Last I-94 - Front and Back.
11. Copies of nonimmigrant US Visa with stamp
12. Copy of the most recent issued I-20 and previous I-20s
13. Copy of Birth Certificate.
14. Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization
14.1. Two passport-style photos
15. Educational documents:
15.1. Copy of High School Diploma with Certified Translation.
15.2. Copy of University Diploma (AAA with official translation.)
15.3. Copy of documents related to BBB diploma
15.4. Copy of the most recent received BBB and ongoing study transcripts
16. Documents related to Financial ability:
16.1. Copy of the last 3 W-2 Forms
16.2. Copy of the last 3 Federal Tax Return
16.3. Copy of the last bank statement
16.4. Copy of the last academic award

Feel,

A second dose is usually followed after the first dose and can be given as early as 28 days after the first dose is given. This second dose is not a “booster” as with other vaccines, but more like to ensure immunity for persons who may not have fully responded to the first dose. For USCIS purposes, you may only have to get the first dose. But, it will be for your own good if you got the 2nd dose as well. You should inquire your local health department or even your student health center (if you are a student) to inquire about the costs and series. Do call your local Civil Surgeons and ascertain whether or not you need both the doses before they can give you the completed I-693.

The following is a link to “2009 Technical Instructions for Vaccination for Civil Surgeons”
http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugee...nation-civil-technical-instructions.html#i693

look under “Procedure for Completing Form I-693, Vaccination Record…” although not particular to MMR, it shows how they will likely complete the vaccination form.

This is a quote from the same page:
"Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s). Completion of a vaccine series is not required to conclude the medical examination, because such a requirement would require multiple visits to a civil surgeon and could lead to unnecessary delay in the immigration process. If any of the boxes under the "Not Medically Appropriate" heading was checked, the "Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s) as indicated above" box must also be checked. This box will probably always be checked because some vaccines may not be age appropriate for the applicant."

Again, do make sure with your Civil Surgeon.

Good Luck!

Guys, do I need to take 2 MMR Vaccines or just a single dose is sufficient. Please advise. I fall under age group of 27-40. Thanks.

Hi Khayat,

Your checklist looks great to me except you may not need to include G-1145 on the checklist as it will be used by lockbox, and will not go to NBC with your other forms. Plus, you can only send your latest I-20 as it will have your SEVIS ID number which they can use to look into the SEVIS system (if they want), but it sure does not hurt to include the others. Great Job!!! Now only 14 more days to go...

fellas,
here I am posting a list of documents that I will be sending as F status for you information. any suggestion will be appreciated ....

hey Kyhayat, I look over your list and I have a question regarding your W2 forms, what kind of employment did you have and if ou mentioned 3 , that means for the last 3 years?
fellas,
here I am posting a list of documents that I will be sending as F status for you information. any suggestion will be appreciated

1. Form I-485 - Application to Adjust Status along with Form: G-1145 - E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
2. Personal check of $1,010 - Filing Fee for I-485 ($930) and Biometrics ($80)
3. Two identical color Photographs.
4. Form G-325A - Biographic Information.
5. Form I-693 - Report of Medical Examination in sealed envelope.
6. Copy of DV2011 1st Notification Letter - Selection Letter from DOS, KCC
7. Copy of 2nd Letter from KCC - Acknowledging intention to apply for Adjustment of Status.
8. Copy of Receipt of AOS Fee Payment of $440 to Department of State.
9. Copy of Government issued photo ID: a: Driver’s License and b: Passport
10. Copy of Last I-94 - Front and Back.
11. Copies of nonimmigrant US Visa with stamp
12. Copy of the most recent issued I-20 and previous I-20s
13. Copy of Birth Certificate.
14. Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization
14.1. Two passport-style photos
15. Educational documents:
15.1. Copy of High School Diploma with Certified Translation.
15.2. Copy of University Diploma (AAA with official translation.)
15.3. Copy of documents related to BBB diploma
15.4. Copy of the most recent received BBB and ongoing study transcripts
16. Documents related to Financial ability:
16.1. Copy of the last 3 W-2 Forms
16.2. Copy of the last 3 Federal Tax Return
16.3. Copy of the last bank statement
16.4. Copy of the last academic award

Thank you my friend. yes indeed! 14 more days. Great to have friends in this journey :)

Hi Khayat,

Your checklist looks great to me except you may not need to include G-1145 on the checklist as it will be used by lockbox, and will not go to NBC with your other forms. Plus, you can only send your latest I-20 as it will have your SEVIS ID number which they can use to look into the SEVIS system (if they want), but it sure does not hurt to include the others. Great Job!!! Now only 14 more days to go...

Hi Natta,

I have had Research Assistant-ship, and You are right I meant the last 3 years. Sorry for confusion and thanks for your note. I am gonna change that in my cover letter.

Good luck to you and your stuff too. I hope thing will workout for you smoothly.

hey Kyhayat, I look over your list and I have a question regarding your W2 forms, what kind of employment did you have and if ou mentioned 3 , that means for the last 3 years?

Thanks Khayat. I hope thinks will, cause we only did the whole apply for a B2 visa think to be on the safe side, not to be out of status.
I was wondering if am not the principal applicant do I also need to send w2 forms. I had a work permite for the last 2 years. I applied for the first one while I was in my first college and then after graduation when I moved to a differen college I applied again, but mine are off-campus employments.

Hi Natta,

I have had Research Assistant-ship, and You are right I meant the last 3 years. Sorry for confusion and thanks for your note. I am gonna change that in my cover letter.

Good luck to you and your stuff too. I hope thing will workout for you smoothly.