• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

1. If you send the DSP-122 form to KCC, you are guaranteed to receive the 2nd letter in about a month regardless of when you pay the $375 fee. The 2nd letter will pretty much confirm your intent to do AOS and will remind you to pay that $375 diversity fee. You should pay that fee well before shipping your AOS package to Chicago Lockbox (when your number is current) because you will need to include its receipt in your AOS package.

2. I also had the same concern. I call USCIS and they said as long as you are in the US in legal status, you can do AOS. I'm on F-1 too doing my master. And previous F-1 dv lottery winners successfully adjusted their status without any problem.

3. Some people have posted their interview experience in the previous years' AOS threads. As far as know, it's a friendly, short, and easy interview. You won't have any problem with it if your profile is clean.

Thanks for the answer.
Let's hope we can get the GC ^^
By the way, when you list the educational information in Form DSP-122, did you list all of your education, I mean from kindergarten? I think that's a little too much don't you think?
Thanks

keepkeep

I'm in the same position with lucky2011, except for I'm an Undergrad..... I just have one more question, for those filing for AOS (with no one to support; no family members you are responsible for financially while in the us), do we still have to show a bank statement or something? This is going to be a huge problem for me if we have to coz most of my family's funds are currently being used for my education, and i'm at my junior/senior year right now so the bank account is pretty drained up! i mean, they cant expect a college student to have a huge lump of money in the bank right? Does it matter if the job that i'll be doing after graduating falls under the highly 'qualifiied/needed in us category as per the uscis website or they'd expect me to have a job offer already? I'm just curious and thought I might as well start preparing all the documents.. i was informed by another member of the forum that there is high probability that my case no. (2011AS00007XXX) will be current in december or jan.....

I called USCIS office today regarding the eligibility of AOS. What she told me is that if you re lawfully in US , you re eligible. Another thing what she said is about sending the applications prior to 90 days from the your case number being current.That is conflicting information. I asked whether Local USCIS offices are supposed the expediete our process of DV application due to deadline. She replied " it may be possible". Consequently, this is the second time I called the USCIS Phone lines and they re not knowledgable about the process, they just read some info papers to us without knowing anything about what they read!!! dont waste your time by calling them...

Hey Guys,
I also got the letter. This is a bit confusing I called the Kentucky center they confirmed that if I wanna do AOS I have to send only the 122 form but I have to confirm with local USCIS that I am eligible. My question is what number do you use to talk to a person at USCIS? and which option do you choose? the menu on the phone is all irrelevant and there is no option for talking to a person.
when is the deadline for submitting the 122 form to Kentucky?

cheers and good luck to all of us

I called USCIS office today regarding the eligibility of AOS. What she told me is that if you re lawfully in US , you re eligible. Another thing what she said is about sending the applications prior to 90 days from the your case number being current.That is conflicting information. I asked whether Local USCIS offices are supposed the expediete our process of DV application due to deadline. She replied " it may be possible". Consequently, this is the second time I called the USCIS Phone lines and they re not knowledgable about the process, they just read some info papers to us without knowing anything about what they read!!! dont waste your time by calling them...

Hey Guys,
I also got the letter. This is a bit confusing I called the Kentucky center they confirmed that if I wanna do AOS I have to send only the 122 form but I have to confirm with local USCIS that I am eligible. My question is what number do you use to talk to a person at USCIS? and which option do you choose? the menu on the phone is all irrelevant and there is no option for talking to a person.

You can call the 800 number, then press 1 for English, and 2 for forms, and then 2 again. It should connect you to the customer service.

Thanks for the answer.
Let's hope we can get the GC ^^
By the way, when you list the educational information in Form DSP-122, did you list all of your education, I mean from kindergarten? I think that's a little too much don't you think?
Thanks

keepkeep

I listed my education from elementary school up to my latest university degree.

Uscis 800 number

Hey Guys,

Hi, the phone number for USCIS is 8003755283. I followed the menu for the general information about immigration for people who re in US as nonimmigrant status. Its a bit complicated menu, and you need to listen many info before reaching a costumer rep. As far as I read the previous AOS forums in here, there are conflicting information from people. Some says they talked with KCC and was told to send all forms 122-230, pics and barcode sheet. Some says , were told only pics, barcode sheet and ds122. I think I am gonna send all to make sure everything is allright...

So I called USCIS, They just read over a written document and they also told me that as long as you are legally in the states, you can apply for AOS when your number is current. However the guy over at Kentucky center told me to contact the local USCIS office. There is no number listed there and you have to make an appointment to talk to them.
here (www#travel#state.gov/visa/visa_4762.html) says to take the message to the USCIS local office and they will handle you case and they do not have a phone number!

So I called USCIS, They just read over a written document and they also told me that as long as you are legally in the states, you can apply for AOS when your number is current. However the guy over at Kentucky center told me to contact the local USCIS office. There is no number listed there and you have to make an appointment to talk to them.
here (www#travel#state.gov/visa/visa_4762.html) says to take the message to the USCIS local office and they will handle you case and they do not have a phone number!

I called USCIS... I am on a non immigrant visa and they said I can not apply for GC since I have to have a immigrant visa. Immigrant visa to immigrant visa is what works. So I am thinking: is that correct ??? Does everybody in this forum have immigrant visas?

I called USCIS... I am on a non immigrant visa and they said I can not apply for GC since I have to have a immigrant visa. Immigrant visa to immigrant visa is what works. So I am thinking: is that correct ??? Does everybody in this forum have immigrant visas?

Not true. A lot of people on the forum were on f-1 (non-immigrant visa).

Hi All,

Does anybody know what will happen if F-1 visa holder doing AOS and got rejected?
Will they still be eligible to continue their education if they do not return to their home country?
Will they still be able to apply for OPT after graduation (still in the context if they do not return to their home country)?
What if they do CP and got rejected? Can they still go back to US using their F-1 visa? Because some people say that our F-1 visa is canceled first before the interview..

Please help..I'm getting confused again whether it's a good decision to do AOS... >.<
Btw, I am from Asia with CN 6xxx

Thanks all :)

Hi All,

Does anybody know what will happen if F-1 visa holder doing AOS and got rejected?
Will they still be eligible to continue their education if they do not return to their home country?
Will they still be able to apply for OPT after graduation (still in the context if they do not return to their home country)?
What if they do CP and got rejected? Can they still go back to US using their F-1 visa? Because some people say that our F-1 visa is canceled first before the interview..

Please help..I'm getting confused again whether it's a good decision to do AOS... >.<
Btw, I am from Asia with CN 6xxx

Thanks all :)

This is my understanding.

Once you file I-485 with USCIS, you are no longer in F status. Your status changes to AOS applicant until the time your application is processed. If you need to travel while your I485 application is pending, you need an Approved Advance Parole (I-131) to return to the US. If you leave the country without a valid AP, you are considered to have abandoned your 485 application.

Given that your F status is not valid after you file 485 application, I would not think you can automatically return to F status, in case your 485 is rejected. I think you will have to leave US and re-apply for F-1 at the US consulate.

However, given that your number is relatively good for AS (In last 2-3 years, this number became current between Nov - Feb), you have a fairly good chance with AOS. As long as you have enough Funds/Affidavit of Support/Job letter and no brushes with the law, it should be a straightforward thing.

Even if you do CP, once the US consulate takes your passport for the interview for immigrant visa, they will cancel the F-1 visa prior to the interview and in the event you are rejected for the immigrant visa after the interview, you have to re-apply for F-1.

The whole US immigration works on the basis of intent (either Immigrant or Non-Immigrant). So once you file any Immigrant Intent application (either I485 for AOS or DS230 for CP), your Non-Immigrant visa is no longer good.

my understanding is that as long as you stay student with you current status and you have study left to do, you should be able to keep going no matter what happens to your I485. getting OPT is a school thing and they would not know about your 485 application and basically you kinda extend the F. Then when you have a sponsor, get a H1-B.

Again this is what I think. I am in the same boat. Nobody knows for sure but I have had friends who applied for AOS through another route when they were student before they finished their study and they were in limbo for a while until they got approved

So nobody knows brothers! take it easy just do and see what happens. we should just be happy we are lucky to get the letter among millions, do not overthink
cheers
AS 0000XXXX

Dear all,

I just received 1st NL since yesterday. To my case number is pretty high (2011AS0004xxxx).
I don't know how it gonna be? I've resided in USA to study college degree for 2 yrs as F-1 visa.
Should I return my country to process my case or arrange AOS here?

Please provide me valuable information so far.

Thank you very much

Dear all,

I just received 1st NL since yesterday. To my case number is pretty high (2011AS0004xxxx).
I don't know how it gonna be? I've resided in USA to study college degree for 2 yrs as F-1 visa.
Should I return my country to process my case or arrange AOS here?

Please provide me valuable information so far.

Thank you very much
how much study do you have left? that is a wrong number though 40000 in Asia? is it possible?

My CN is absolutely correct (2011AS0004xxxx). I have 16 months left to complete my college degree as shown in I-20.
Please let me know how can I proceed my case.

Thank you so much indeed.

You are good. As long as you are legally in the states until Sep 2011 you can apply for AOS. Your case need to be AOS or a visa issued for by that deadline. I don't think your luck changes either way both ways have the same chance.

That is what I think

cheers and congrats

Hi All,

My wife got the letter about 2 weeks ago. Her # is EU 1xxx
I was on a F1 status until Jan 2010. During Dec 2009 I applied to change my status to E-2 based on business ownership. My application got denied in March 2010 and my layer filed a motion to reopen. We are currently waiting for a decision on my MTR. I am told I have a 50/50 chance on approval (all the paperwork is in order and they shouldn't have denied it in the first place) I don't know what to do... If we stay here and don't get a decision on the MTR before Oct 1st we should be OK. If we do get a denial before Oct 1st then we are in trouble. To leave before we get a decision on the MTR and interview overseas seems to be the right decision unless they decide that we had unlawful presence after the F1 expired(which we don't since the E-2 is still pending). We haven't sent anything yet and I am confused as to what to do. I feel like we are running out of time... I would appreciate any advice from those of you who are knowledgeable of the subject!

Thanks in advance!

Hi, when I filled the form for lottery, my child was not born and now my child is 2 months old and an american citizen. I also list her on the DS-230 form. Do I need to fill any additional form to inform KCC since there was a change on my family status??
thanks for your helps...

Last edited by a moderator: